PDA

View Full Version : Backpacks on rides?

kaylamag
01-19-2008, 08:03 PM
I'll be in Disney next week for the first time and i'm planning on carrying a backpack. My question is what do i do with it while i'm on a ride? Can i take it with me on rollercoasters? Is there someplace to put it while i am on the ride? I can't imagine it would be safe to take it on all of the rides.

NJ Camper
01-19-2008, 08:13 PM
there is some rides where it won't be a problem but i think you will have a problem with things like rnr and maybe mission space we usually bring one also but these kind of rides my DW won't go on so it's not a problem for us but most rides other then the higher thrill rides shouldn't be a problem have fun I have seen lockers in MK in the front of the park you could leave it there if you needed to i didn't notice them in other parks but am sure they are there some where near the entrances also have a magical time :mickey:

DisneyTwinsMommy
01-19-2008, 08:14 PM
You should be able to take it on every ride...

What I do on roller coasters is place it on the floor in front of me and loop on of the straps around my leg so it doesn't go anywhere...

Some rides have pouches to put your belongings in... Mission Space, Dinosaur, Soarin'...

I would recommend that the backpack be not too big as it can be difficult to deal with on the rides, and heavy too... If you do need lots of items, you could always rent a locker, they are located at the front of each park.

Have a mickey time! :mickey:

PirateLover
01-19-2008, 09:11 PM
What I do on roller coasters is place it on the floor in front of me and loop on of the straps around my leg so it doesn't go anywhere...

Yup! There were times when we had a regular sized backpack that was pretty full and this is what we did... I don't recall ever having an issue.

BouncingTigger
01-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I brought a pretty big backpack during our last WDW trip. It was fine on all the rollercoasters (even RnRC). Definitely loop it around your legs, like was said. On Soarin' you put your bag to the side of the ride vehicle and grab it when the ride is over. I think it might be similar on Mission:Space but I didn't have the backpack on that ride so I don't know for sure.

The only ride I had a problem with the backpack was on Space Mountain. The bag was too bulky to fit well between my legs since I was in the front of the ride vehicle and the car kind of squishes forward between your legs a bit, so it is hard to hold a big bag there. But even then the backpack pretty much stayed put (though you should definitely loop the straps through your legs). If your bag is smaller, it will probably be fine and if you don't sit in the very front you might be able to maneuver the bag better.

Also, I'm kind of a small person, so someone who is bigger/taller might have more problems fitting the bag in since there would be less room. For this reason, I held the bag during most rides, not my boyfriend.

But overall I wouldn't worry about it! :)

LONESTAR
01-19-2008, 11:06 PM
We carry a back pack on every ride no problem. On soarin you will have to set the bag to the side of the car but you will come right back to it. Have fun.

#1donaldfan
01-20-2008, 08:38 AM
I take mine on all rides....actually Mission Space has the better space for a bag as any ride. On the faster rides I put it on the floor between my feet with the strap around my leg. I have never had a problem. This is only if your bag isn't HUGE....mine is just a nornal pack that you can buy in any of the stores at the parks...

Bethis26fan
01-20-2008, 08:43 AM
We carry ours on ever ride and never had any problems either. Just your normal backpack kids carry to school. We've never had a problem on any ride.

Buttercup
01-20-2008, 09:24 AM
You really don't have any choice but to bring your backpack on every ride. Disney doesn't allow you to leave your bag at the loading area (where you get on the rides) because of safety, liability, and also because most times where you exit the ride is a completely different room than where you get on.
I've always had a big backpack with me and never had any trouble bringing it on every ride, even the rollercoasters and thrill rides.
:) The cast members will be able to advise you as to where is the best place to put it, whether it's looped around your legs or in a special compartment on your ride vehicle.

Marker
01-20-2008, 09:52 AM
I can not offer any info on bringing backpacks on ride. Chalk me up as one who wouldn't really even consider carrying a back pack around all day.

My suggestion would be to evaluate your actual NEED to carry a backbpack full of stuff.

If you do decide that it actually is necessary, I'd like to offer a couple things to keep in mind, just for courtesy sake.

1) when you're standing in line with your backpack on, keep in mind that you are now a couple feet wider than you're probably used to. When you lean on the rail while waiting in line, your backpack is taking up space in the line behind you. So please don't get annoyed and flash dirty looks when it gets bumped by people tying to get by.

2) If you decide to make any sudden turns, keep in mind that you are in a place that tends to have a lot of kids around. More than once I've seen some little 5 year old "angel of God" smacked in the head and knocked to the ground by a heavy backpack as someone in a backpack suddenly decides to turn around.

3) A backpack is NOT an individual rider entitled to it's own seat on a ride OR THE BUSES. It's actually a passenger someone chose to bring and will therefore have to share a seat with you. Please don't make it everyone else's problem.

kaylamag
01-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I am actually rethinking my need for a backpack. I really only need something for my phone and camera and maybe some snacks. As much as i hate to i may just go with a belt bag.

pixiesmimi
01-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Try one of the one shoulder sling bags that are a little smaller than a backpack but you can still get a lot in it. I have always chosen a smaller waist bag but just recently bought a :mickey: shoulder bag. Can't wait to use it. A lot of people recommended it because it is easier to get on and off for pictures and rides.

dteed
01-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Always carry a backpack and never a problem. Put it by your feet.

DANAM
01-21-2008, 04:37 PM
My vote is for the shoulder/sling style also called a messenger bag. I love this style because it sits on the seat with you so you never have to take it off. They come in so many sizes so it is a good fit for pretty much everyone. Have fun!

Diznee4Me
01-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Never had a problem with my pack on rides. I think you will be fine - have fun!

LarryBoy
01-22-2008, 10:12 AM
We find the backpack invaluable. We keep rain coats, the video camera, snacks, small toys, and a change of clothes for our son. Of course he is autistic and really doesn't like to be wet, so we are those goobers you see in rain coats on Splash Mtn. Also I hate carrying the video camera, but I love to have it with me. Anyway, I've never had any problems with the bag on rides, and I'm 6'4". It's kind of tight on Space Mtn., but I know it's not going anywhere.

ncscgirl2005
01-22-2008, 02:06 PM
3) A backpack is NOT an individual rider entitled to it's own seat on a ride OR THE BUSES. It's actually a passenger someone chose to bring and will therefore have to share a seat with you. Please don't make it everyone else's problem.

Great Advice Marker.

wedway76
01-22-2008, 02:59 PM
You really don't have any choice but to bring your backpack on every ride. Disney doesn't allow you to leave your bag at the loading area
The cast members will be able to advise you as to where is the best place to put it, whether it's looped around your legs or in a special compartment on your ride vehicle.

:ditto: That's the answer to your question!

I am also one who brings a little as possible with me. Most of the time I gave a small camera bag that my video cam and small digital cam just barely fit in (often I don’t even take that). My wife usually takes a soft canvas Mickey Mouse shoulder bag that we also try to keep as empty as possible.

I also always wear cargo pants. Often I can carry everything we need including my digital camera in my pants. (There’s a joke there but I’ll behave. :blush: )

thrillme
01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
I love cargo pants too. A small backpack is plenty. I either wrap it around my legs or a wrist on the more thrilling rides.

Major piece of advice...most backpacks are not water proof. If you go on some rides such as Kali River Rapids...be sure to take some ZIPLOCK baggies to put those things that should not get wet away securely.

EJS-Houston
01-23-2008, 04:43 PM
I'll be in Disney next week for the first time and i'm planning on carrying a backpack. My question is what do i do with it while i'm on a ride? Can i take it with me on rollercoasters? Is there someplace to put it while i am on the ride? I can't imagine it would be safe to take it on all of the rides.

Hi Kaylamag!

I was just there in November and carried a backpack. I had no difficulty carrying it onto every ride, and I did 'em all. Most rides have pouches in front of each seat for purses/backpacks, etc.... I would only advise you to carry a very small pack, as an average-size daypack will be too big to fit into many of those pouches. An alternative to the pouches is to simply slip the shoulder straps of your backpack around your feet. I did that on the Aerosmith Rock'n'Roller Coaster and it worked just fine.