PDA

View Full Version : How to entertain a 18 year old boy who has never been

shan1021
01-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Hii guys, i'm going to disney world in 8 days! And I am taking my 18 year old boyfriend for the first time (I'm 18 too) but i have been there 15 times already, but i just wanted some input if you had any ideas on what an 18 year old boy might like. He's not that excited about going but i'm sure there has to be something he will enjoy. Replies would be so helpful, thanks! :D

Kairi_7378
01-19-2008, 10:54 AM
I'd take him to Epcot or to MGM first. He'd probably love the magic of Soarin', Test Track, and Mission Space. The theming at ToT, RnRC, and Star Tours are also great. I think these parks are slightly more adult than MK and AK. Maybe let him help plan your days and let you know what rides he's interested in, since he's a first timer. He may not be big on character meals and the like, but he'll have fun almost everywhere else, I think. Let us know how he likes it!

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
01-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Definitely take him to Dumbo.I dont care if your 18 or 88 the real magic of Disney is that everyone feels like that little kid thats still inside all of us.This may loosen him up a little bit.I to was 18 and cool once and every time I come to disney I feel like im 6.

SBETigg
01-19-2008, 11:27 AM
My husband's first trip was for our honeymoon and he wasn't thrilled about going, either. He was indulging me, but he had no idea why I wanted to go to Disney World. For our honeymoon. He really had no idea what to expect. I think he imagined a more kid-friendly Six Flags or something. The good news is that once he got there, he was blown away. He understood immediately, and we started in the MK. It's not just a theme park, it's an amazing experience.

Your boyfriend will probably find a lot more than he expects, too. Keep him in mind when you plan, but show him Disney your way, with all the things you love to do, and trust that the magic, fantasy, and Disney's fantastic eye for detail will draw him in, too. I would start at the MK or Epcot, personally. The details on rides like Pirates of the Caribbean brought out my DH's kid at heart and put him in the right frame of mind. It's still our favorite ride.

disneymom15
01-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I think you'll be surprised by how much fun he'll have. A few years back we did a multi family trip, my nephew 18 and his dad had the time of their live.

IloveDisney71
01-19-2008, 11:39 AM
We took my DD's boyfriend with us when he was almost 18. He loved all the thrill rides listed by previous posters. But he also enjoyed the long-time classics like HM, POTC, Peter Pan, teacups, etc.
AND don't forget about the shows. I think his favorites were The Festival of the Lion King (especially the acrobatic monkeys) and Fantasmic. He loved the Disney magic.
He even made the comment that he's been to lots of amusement parks but there's just something different about Disney that makes it special.
...Another Disney addict in the making? :mickey:

madi47
01-19-2008, 11:42 AM
I don't think it matters where you start. Once you start experiencing all the attractions together he is sure to have a great time. I couldn't imagine having more fun anywhere else.

AmberB
01-19-2008, 11:49 AM
If you have the extra room in your budget, don't forget about DisneyQuest. What guy doesn't like video games? I usually don't like video games, but have a great time there.

Marker
01-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Personally, I'd start with a stroll up Main Street USA, and let it unfold from there. My thought, don't plan it, let it unfold. If you try to plan it, you'll be planning it the way YOU want it. You'll be planning the thing you like. My thought, let him discover it. What he likes, or doesn't like, may or may not be in sync with your own loves, but isn't that the way it is for all of us? We develop our love of WDW based on what we like, not what someone wants us to enjoy.

I don't care if you're 8, 18 or 48, the magic of WDW is there to be discovered, experienced, and enjoyed.

shan1021
01-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I am so excited to go and i hope he has a good time. He is just so happy to go away from home I'm sure he will enjoy himself more than he admits to it.

and AmberB i was thinking that as well because he is obsessed with video games and i mentioned Disney quest to him a few days ago and he said he'd go to that so hopefully he'll enjoy that too.

thanks for all your inputs! :mickey:

KineGirl
01-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Alot of ppl who've never been to Disney have it in their head that its a glorified, little kid geared theme park and they couldnt have it more wrong! There are definitely plenty of things that he will enjoy (besides the ambiance)- rides, fireworks, shows (dont forget Lights! Motor! Action! @ HS) & parades (Spectromagic & Wishes @ MK are a must) .. not to mention the food! mmm NO ONE does any of it like Disney and he will be ruined for life after he has been! LOL Let him think what he wants now - once he gets there he will be blown away! Plan a little so you dont miss anything you would really like to do but mostly... Have fun!!

shan1021
01-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks again,

***(dont forget Lights! Motor! Action! @ HS)

thanks for that, i was thinking the same thing, hopefully he will enjoy that at least. Can't wait to go! 8 days. Time seems to go by so slow when you're waiting for something, so annoying-- haha.

well thanks everyone :D

pink
01-19-2008, 02:05 PM
I was so excited to see this thread!

I'm 18 and I may be going with my DBF in May and it's his first time as well. I'm in luck because I talk about DW all the time it's made him excited about the trip! I would recommend showing him the planning DVD before you leave to show him everything that you're talking about. If your bf likes adventure rides then you should bring him to MGM first and go on TOT, RNRC etc. If he's into cars take him to the car stunt show. The classics at MK are also a must. I hope you have a great trip! :mickey:

#1donaldfan
01-19-2008, 02:28 PM
you don't have any worries, he's going to have a blast......just have your camera ready!! Your going to be surprised at his reaction when he first walks through the tunnel at MK......remember, just have the camera ready, it'll be a priceless pic...have fun...

shan1021
01-19-2008, 02:56 PM
thanks, i'm sure it will be a great trip. and i know i'm gonna have my camera out a lot of the time-- he's gonna get so annoyed but it will be worth it-- haha. :D

and pink-- thanks for the response-- i talk to him about it a lot too (esp since it's in 8 days) haha he gets annoyed a lot cause "i talk to much and he'll see it when he gets there" haha but i'll try the DVD thing i never thought of that-- thanks for the idea. and i hope you and your bf have a really great trip when you go!

shan1021
01-19-2008, 03:01 PM
and also, for all of you that said start with main street, that works out great because we are getting in the day Magic Kingdom will be open late, and that is the first place we are going, so it should work out good i hope :D

NJ Camper
01-19-2008, 03:10 PM
all men become little boys in disney just think what a 5 year old would like and you should be fine i'm 41 and have the time of my life each time i'm there my first trip was when i was 26 :mickey:

shan1021
01-19-2008, 03:28 PM
well hopefully that applies to my bf as well, haha. i'm sure it will be great :)

Main Street Jim
01-20-2008, 08:19 AM
I'll agree with most of the posts.

There's more than just "thrill rides" in this world; that's part of what makes this place great.

Be sure and see some of the nighttime shows: Fantasmic!, Illuminations, Wishes. You didn't say how long you were gonna be down here for ;)

Slow down once in a while. Enjoy the details ;)

Have a good evening meal at a resort somewheres. Don't eat at just the fast-food joints.

Meteora
01-20-2008, 10:16 AM
I have found that men that age have a liking for the Lego store in DTD. Hey, you've got to love Legos, right?

Don't worry about him having a good time--just concentrate on making sure you have a good time and the rest will fall into place. You and he might both feel unnecessary pressure if you're worrying about whether he's enjoying himself, and as others have said, everyone can find something to love at Disney.

SBETigg
01-20-2008, 11:00 AM
If you have the extra room in your budget, don't forget about DisneyQuest. What guy doesn't like video games? I usually don't like video games, but have a great time there.

My kids are teens and gamers and they were extremely let down by DisneyQuest. It really is more geared toward families than game fans. With all there is to see and do at WDW, I wouldn't make special time for this unless you really have the extra time in a longer trip.

shan1021
01-20-2008, 01:29 PM
yeahh and i'm staying (jan27th-feb1st) and yeha we have all our reservations and stuff so we're good with that and we;re going to the pirate and princess party (he didn't want to but i was not going to pass it up, haha--did it in August) so i think i'm gonna take him to Downtown disney and maybe do like disney quest, since he loves video games. thanks for the info :mickey:

shan1021
01-20-2008, 01:31 PM
SBEtigg, i totally didn't see yours cauase i didn't go to the next page. I went there once wiht camp but i don't remember that much i just road the virtual rollercoaster haha. You can look around and stuff before you pay or w.e right to see if he wants to do it? I totally forgot what it's like.

ASweetLov
01-20-2008, 01:47 PM
My boyfriend was 19 the first time we went to WDW( it was our first time there). I have always wanted to go but Disney was never his thing. Well when we got there we went onto the Dumbo ride first and he has loved Disney since that moment and now cant wait to go for the 3rd time:mickey:

shan1021
01-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Awww, well i hope my boyfriend is the same way. He's not huge on like big rides like Rock' n rollercoaster and ToT but he said he'd go on haha but hopefully he'll have a good time as everyone else has

SBETigg
01-20-2008, 08:13 PM
SBEtigg, i totally didn't see yours cauase i didn't go to the next page. I went there once wiht camp but i don't remember that much i just road the virtual rollercoaster haha. You can look around and stuff before you pay or w.e right to see if he wants to do it? I totally forgot what it's like.

I didn't go. My kids, teenagers into games, went. They were very disappointed. We had the park hopper with water parks and more option, so I'm not sure about the payment process. Your boyfriend might like it, though, who knows. Maybe put it in the tentative plan for mid-late week so you can see how he feels about the parks first. If he's crazy about the parks, you may not need the extra amusement. If not, it's good to know it's there to give it a shot.

shan1021
01-20-2008, 10:07 PM
SBEtigg,

yeahh, that sounds good. He's not very excited about the parks, but is gonna go on them but we have all our reservations made so we'll have plenty of time everywhere, since we're doing the late nights and pirate and princess and one night we have a reservation at Hard Rock Cafe so i was thinking of doing it after dinner, but i'll think of what u said if we have enough time at the parks and he wants to give it a shot, i think it'll be good.

NJ Camper
01-20-2008, 10:24 PM
i'm not a teenager i'm 41 but i havebeen there and if you like video games ,pinball or the virtual reality games its great you can check they use to do a discout if you went after a certain time so it would be cheaper if the cost is a factor but still believe if he is a gamer he will love it have fun ,enjoy and it will be magical :mickey:

shan1021
01-20-2008, 11:36 PM
thanksss and yes he is obsessed with video games so most likely i think we will do that-- and thanks it will be a great trip esp since it's his first trip to disney :D

Cinderelley
01-21-2008, 01:06 AM
Have you considered Pleasure Island? Adventurer's Club is awesome! I also want to try the Comedy Club.

shan1021
01-21-2008, 01:23 AM
What can you do at Pleasure Island at 18?

Cinderelley
01-21-2008, 06:00 AM
Everything except Mannequins, BET soundstage, 8Trax, Motion and Rock'n'Roll Beach Club. Check out the Nightlife section in Info central.

shan1021
01-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Okay, i will. Thanks for the suggestion, i can't wait to go on vacation :mickey: