PDA

View Full Version : I should cancel, shouldn't I?

lulu'smom
01-18-2008, 08:49 PM
I have a DisneyWorld trip booked over the 4th of July for me and my dad. We both really want to see the fireworks! Plus, he has friends that own a condo in Cape Canaveral, and they have been giving me a hard time that I haven't visited them yet. So we thought we could kill 2 birds with one stone. Sounds good, right?

I don't think the trip is going to work out, but I need you all to tell me that I should cancel, becasue I really don't want to. Mom has been having some medical issues, she has lost vision in one eye, and will never get it back. Plus she is supposed to have some minor colon surgery. So my parents have to worry about that in addition to paying whatever their insurance won't cover. And now dad's car needs new tires. He has a SRX and apparently they take different size tires from the front to the back, and they are expensive. The dealership quoted him $1200. My parents are both retired, and mom is working part time to help make ends meet. They have not been the best at handling their money, and really still live paycheck to paycheck. They have borrowed heavily from me and my sister to try and get their bills current, and are paying us back a little at a time.

I wouldd love to pay for my dad, but I really can't aford to. I have the room booked but I keep thinking I should call and cancel it. What do you think?

SBETigg
01-18-2008, 10:18 PM
It's a tough one. On the one hand, it's the chance to build memories with your dad and that's time you can't replace. But at what cost? If they're financially unstable, it's hard to imagine being able to justify the vacation expense. Not to mention crowds that week are pretty heavy.

Is it possible to skip this one and plan something for a value season, maybe after the parents have caught up on some bills, if possible, and when rates and crowds are lower? And maybe when your mom's in better health and you feel more able to slip away for a time? I agree that it makes the most sense to cancel this one, but I think we all have trouble making sense when it comes to our love for WDW.

Stan
01-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Sorry I don't have much advice, just a few observations.

1) Not to be too pessimistic, but it doesn't sound likely that the financial situation will markedly improve any time soon. So later this year or next year, if it's not tires or insurance deductibles, it will be something else, possibly worse. BTW dealers are sometimes 2X the price you can find tires elsewhere- not always though.

2) No guarantees in life. Opportunities postponed are sometimes lost. I speak from personal painful experience.

3) Disney vacations are all over the map in cost. You can "see the fireworks" for the price of a one day park admission and 1 or 2 nights at a minimum price accomodation on or off property, plus whatever it costs you to get here and back. Can you stay with the friends in Canaveral? Driving a long way back & forth is still better than not going.

4) I'm no expert on the money stuff, either. :blush: I wish all of you the best, whatever you decide you must do.

MsMin
01-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I hate WDW in July.... it's packed and I don't see the fireworks as that different than usual. ( I realize some may differ) I would prefer the value season, not only do you save but you have the opportunity to do and see more for your money saving lots of $$$. I would suggest the value season too. another bonus... less heat....:sun:
I know my mom wishes that she could have convinced my grandparent so go before they passed. So I agree that there will always be something and you have to just do it at times.
I wanted my dad to go once more and we went in Dec. 06..... Now he wants to go back. It's just memories you can't buy regardless of price.
As a single mom there were a few times we went for very little $$. We mainly saved on food and limited spending by the kids. I don't regret going, in fact there were years we couldn't go and I wish we had; but, we have made up for it since things are now better. You don't always get that opportunity w/ parents....
Best of luck with your planning :pixie:

princessjojo
01-19-2008, 01:41 PM
That really is a hard one to call. On one hand, there are those priceless memories you want to build and hang on to forever. But on the other hand, you don't want to come home full of coulda, shoulda, woulda...You will only hate yourself for your choices.

My suggestion would be to hold on to your room for a little while longer, you never know financially what my happen. As easily as bad things happen, something good could happen as well. It would also give you a chance to prepare financially for the trip and plan your budget with regards to sticking to counter service and 1 or 2 TS at most to get the most of your money. Then if all else fails, you can rebook for a time during the value season. It would also be less busy and you could enjoy yourselves more then as well.

I've learned about money the hard way thanks to my parents and know how difficult it is to resist the urge. I'm doing the same now, trying to decide how much of my sister's trip I can comforable afford to pay, since she's gotten rid of no good husband for now.

Good luck!! Just remember that you must first help yourself before you can help others. Otherwise you will both be at a loss. Meaning, if you compromise your finances now, you may find it difficult to help them when they may need it more.

Madame Leona
01-19-2008, 09:15 PM
I really don't know what would be the best option in this situation but I can maybe offer some advice on the tires. A dealership will always be more expensive on tires than a discount tire store and in many cases they are purchasing the tires at that store at a discount. The only reason I know is that I worked at dealership for many years in the service department. I hate to see people paying too much when it isn't necessary.