PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland vs. WDW

BelleLovesTheBeast
01-18-2008, 05:36 PM
I've been to WDW 8 times but I've never been to Disneyland....is it worth going to or should I just go back to WDW? Also I usually go to WDW for 7 - 10 days.....how long would you go to Disneyland for?

LibertyTreeGal
01-18-2008, 06:21 PM
I find any more than three days to be too much. California Adventure is what I consider to be a half park, with limited appeal depending upon the ages of the people in your family. A Bug's land is for tiny tots, Pacific Pier is for thrill seekers only.

If you want to make a decent vacation out of it, generally people take in some of the other attractions as well, like the San Diego Zoo, Knotts Berry Farm, etc....

MegaDisney
01-18-2008, 08:28 PM
It is definitely worth visiting "Walt's Park"

If you search around here in the DLR forums your will find all kinds of trip reports from WDW veterans who have recently experienced the original for the first (or second) time.

I agree that three days is about right, but that REALLY depends on when you go and which days of the week you choose. Avoid weekends whenever possible. I would say if you have the time and REALLY want to see the parks and the rest of the resort you should allocate 4 days.

I completely disagree with the idea that DCA is a "half day park"

Paradise Pier does have 2 thrill rides but also contains King Tritons Carousel, The Sun Wheel, The Orange Stinger and Jumping Jellyfish (and coming this summer Toy Story Midway Mania!) for the younger set, and is the perfect atmosphere to grab a corn dog (and maybe a cold beer) and a bench and people watch.

The Hollywood Pictures Backlot has great rides and the Animation exhibit and Aladdin show are worth the price of admission alone.

While many complain that DCA lacks themeing/magic, it isn't difficult to find if you look. Check out the trail leading from the San Francisco area into the "backwoods" of Grizzly Peak. A better themed, more peaceful place cannot be found in any other Disney Park.

As has been pointed out by many DLR also seems to have a much more laid back, slow and magical pace than WDW, so relax and enjoy a trip to "where the magic began":mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
01-18-2008, 08:50 PM
I completely disagree with the idea that DCA is a "half day park"

I think you are misquoting me :)

I never said DCA was a "half day park" -- I said it was a "half park." Compared to the scope and number of attractions at DL (being a whole park), I stand by my assertion that DCA is a "half park" in comparison.

Epcot and MK are full parks as well, MGM is a half park in comparison. AK is a 3/4 park, for me anyway... :D

Just wanted to clear that up....

NotaGeek
01-18-2008, 09:09 PM
I've been to WDW 8 times but I've never been to Disneyland....is it worth going to or should I just go back to WDW? Also I usually go to WDW for 7 - 10 days.....how long would you go to Disneyland for?

I would definitely go to Disneyland for a minimum of 4 days if you are going in high season. or 3 days during low season. A nice leisurely pace taking advantage of fast passes will make your time perfect. In the afternoon when Disneyland is busting at the seams you can wander over to DCA and enjoy the wide walkways and smaller crowds, or hit the hotel pool or walk around DTD ...

And, although I haven't taken the time to break down the different Disney Resorts into the full park/half park descriptions, I think that DCA is FULL of fun and totally worth enjoying for a whole leisurely day -- and Paradise Pier is beautiful at night, especially from the vantage point of the Sun Wheel!

Just make sure to schedule yourself so you can see the fireworks at Disneyland! They are truly spectacular. :fworks:

LibertyTreeGal
01-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Michael is right about the fireworks -- I think that Share a Dream Come True (or Dreams Come true or whatever it's called) is far superior to Wishes. I love the cannonballs shooting over the castle!!!

NotaGeek
01-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Michael is right about the fireworks -- I think that Share a Dream Come True (or Dreams Come true or whatever it's called) is far superior to Wishes. I love the cannonballs shooting over the castle!!!
Official Full Title:

"Remember ... Dreams Come True" Fireworks Spectacular, presented by Honda :mickey:

MegaDisney
01-18-2008, 10:57 PM
I think you are misquoting me :)... Just wanted to clear that up....

:blush: Your right! I did misquote you, and for that I am sincerely sorry!:blush:

I think DCA is FAR superior to Disneys Hollywood Studios, and IMHO Epcot, and the Magic Kingdom. The Animal Kingdom is my favorite WDW park.

LibertyTreeGal
01-19-2008, 09:28 AM
:blush: Your right! I did misquote you, and for that I am sincerely sorry!:blush:

I think DCA is FAR superior to Disneys Hollywood Studios, and IMHO Epcot, and the Magic Kingdom. The Animal Kingdom is my favorite WDW park.

No need to be sorry :D -- and DCA IS better than MGM, by far, you're right about that. Fresh baked tortillas -- YUM! Pacific Wharf bakery is my favorite place to eat.

I love AK too, wish it was bigger, so much more they could do there! I wish they had a butterfly aviary, and a place for snakes and......

Aisling
01-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Okay, I need some help understanding something that I keep seeing on these boards. Why do people keep asking if they should bother with Disneyland? I've never been to WDW, but I've been to Disneyland Paris and while it was very similar to Disneyland, it was totally different and that's what I loved about it.
Is it a financial thing that people debate whether to venture out West? I just don't get it! If I didn't live here and I had a chance to come here or go to Florida, heck yes I'd pick California! It's a no brainer to me, but the question comes up enough that now I'm seriously confounded! I guess since I grew up with Disneyland (I still have a used book of tickets, none of them E's!) and I love the park so much, it would seem natural that people would want to come to the original, as I think MegaDisney says, 'Walt's Park'.
For those of you who have been to WDW, can you please explain why it's even a question to come here.
Now, before you get cranky with me, please understand that I'm asking this from absolute sincerety. I really don't understand why people don't know if they should bother with Disneyland. Is it because WDW is so big, or it has more hotels/parks/people? I thought everyone wanted to go to Disneyland and the more I read on the boards of 'should I even bother', it's got me wondering.
Maybe I need to go to WDW so I can fully understand the question because I'm perplexed!:confused:

Oh, and as you might have guessed, I vote yes! to come to Disneyland and DCA since I love that park too. Make sure to visit Crush in the Animation studio, he's a crack up.

BouncingTigger
01-20-2008, 02:31 PM
I would say definitely go to DLR! I love DL (haven't been to DCA yet - going sometime in the spring) and while it is comparable to MK, I think it has its own magic.

Also, I'd recommend checking out some of the other L.A. attractions. Knott's Berry Farm is awesome! I love it - Ghostrider (a big wooden roller coaster) is awesome! It has quite a few thrill rides for adults and teens as well as a Snoopy area for young kids. I could go on and on...check it out online for more info. I also love Universal Studios Hollywood - the backlot tour is amazing and the Jurassic Park ride is so much fun.

San Diego Zoo is a great zoo (I live ten minutes away from it) but be aware it is about a 2 hour drive from DLR - and it can be MUCH longer in rush hour traffic. Just wanted to warn you! Also, San Diego Zoo is "related" to San Diego Wild Animal Park in Escondido (about 30 - 45 minutes north of San Diego) so you can usually get tickets to both parks at a pretty good deal.

BelleLovesTheBeast
01-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the info everybody! I've been to Cali a few times so I've done the zoo and such but never Disneyland. The reason I asked is because I've heard that Disneyland was like visiting Magic Kingdom and if there really wasn't anything different.....then I mine as well go to WDW.

MegaDisney
01-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Is it because WDW is so big, or it has more hotels/parks/people? I thought everyone wanted to go to Disneyland and the more I read on the boards of 'should I even bother', it's got me wondering.
Maybe I need to go to WDW so I can fully understand the question because I'm perplexed!:confused:

Oh, and as you might have guessed, I vote yes! to come to Disneyland and DCA since I love that park too.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think someone who has only been to WDW or "grew up" with WDW can have the feeling that DLR isn't "different enough" to bother with a trip, and besides "there is so much more to do" at WDW. There is nothing wrong with feeling that way, I have that "first park" kinda of attachment to Disneyland. :blush:

KineGirl
01-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Why do people keep asking if they should bother with Disneyland?

.. I have to say its that Ive heard time and time again from ppl who had only been to DL and made a trip to WDW1) how much bigger - I think I heard that you can fit the entire DL in MK parking lot and 2)how nice it is not to have the "city" impeding on the fringes - and dont worry .. WDW property is completely inclusive. You could stay a week and lack nothing. I have yet to make the trip out to DL but wouldnt mind taking the trip in the future. Im sure it rocks but maybe you should come out this way and see what all the hub bub is about :mickey:

meldan98
01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
I've been to WDW 3 times, with the most recent trip being 12/2007 and I've been to Tokyo Disneyland (1994). I've been to DL about 1 to 2 times a year since I was a kid.

I completely understand the magic of WDW. It is amazing and larger than DL Resorts. However, each MK/DL style park are similar but different. Each has a different feel and at times one park may be in better shape than others. I'm not stating this to cause trouble or cause people to complain about what I'm saying. For example, we rode Peter Pan at WDW and the first sequence when you see the moon and the two stars, there weren't any stars and the characters showed their dust which is quite obvious in blacklight. So obviously, this needs rehab soon, where as at DL, the ride is beautiful and looks like it might have the day it opened. I've also seen the exact opposite, where something is showing its age at DL, but the MK version is in better shape.

The overall magic you feel at each park will be different and it is wonderful experience to feel the different kinds of magic.

When I went to Tokyo, it was fun to interact with the characters and staff, because they were so excited to see people who spoke English, they usually went all out with the interaction. Back when I went, it wasn't really frequented by English speakers (Canada, England, Australia, US, etc). So again, a different kind of magic.

BelleLovesTheBeast
01-23-2008, 09:54 PM
I've seen online that there are 3 resorts....has anyone stayed at any of them to recommend one? If so why that one?

MegaDisney
01-23-2008, 10:38 PM
There are numerous threads in the Accomodations forums discussing the differences of the resort hotels. Here is a good thread discussing the Hotels. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=123377)

NotaGeek
01-23-2008, 10:42 PM
I've seen online that there are 3 resorts....has anyone stayed at any of them to recommend one? If so why that one?

Can I suggest that you start a new thread in DLR Accomodations for this question? You are likely to get more responses with a fresh start, as opposed to tagging your question into an old thread ... also, there are quite a few threads already going in Accomodations that might just answer your question! :mickey:

Good luck!

Aisling
01-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Also, Travel Channel has a lot of Disney shows right now and one is on WDW resorts, what to do, behind the scenes, secrets, etc. I dvr'd it so I can plan a trip to WDW and understand what the hubbub is all about! :mickey:

Dakota Rose
01-25-2008, 09:43 PM
I think every Disney fan needs to make the trek to DLR at least once. There is something, dare I say spiritual, about being there knowing Walt walked those grounds.

That said, I've been several dozen times to DLR and I don't need to go again unless I'm already in CA for something else. From here, it is cheaper and faster for me to fly to Florida.

I also think every Disney fan should make a trip to WDW one time. While it's not Walt's park, I think when Walt built Disneyland he never envisioned LA closing in on him. And let's not forget that while Walt never saw WDW, he did choose its location and have a vision for the resort. We can argue all day whether or not the resort lived up to those visions or not, but that's not the point.

As for the parks outside of the US, I've been to Disneyland Paris (when it was still a "toddler") and I'm glad I went even though it wasn't the Disney experience I expected. I think that Disney, like baseball, is distinctly American and it loses something when you take America out of it.

That's just my :twocents: