PDA

View Full Version : Beers around the World

ISURedBird97
01-18-2008, 12:36 PM
OK - I know that World Showcase is not a Pub Crawl, but I've heard that some people actually do "beers around the World."

My husband and I would like to try it and need advice. Which beers are good and which ones are icky?

Thanks! :cheers:

Von-Drake
01-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Interesting I will be following this thread.

Airblue1
01-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Ditto

rubato
01-18-2008, 01:32 PM
I did this in '04. We started at the Biergarten for lunch and then I had a beer from just about every country. I can't remember the names of any of them, but suffice it to say, I had a great day at Epcot!:D Hubby's wasn't quite as good because he doesn't drink beer and had to take care of me.

RoosMomKanga
01-18-2008, 01:35 PM
OK, I'm fessing up:blush:...I've recently posted that my DH is going on the :beer::cheers:"Beers Around the World" plan and I'll be there on the "keep my DH happy because I'm tagging along and extending his business trip plan-but it's our 25th Anniversary". Now, I also have to mention that EC WS is our favorite anyway so we'll be there at least part of 2 of our 3 days (and no, he doesn't drink one at every country in one day -just 1 or 2 a day...they'd have to start renting wheelbarrows at the parks for that one...not appropriate). I'd have to say our trip is not complete though without a Bass Ale at R&C in UK, Kirin in Japan, and Becks in Germany, and he usually tries a new one every time we go. He's making me take him to the Big River Microbrewry at BW this trip also!

DisneyTeen
01-18-2008, 02:03 PM
I have done this many times. It gets to be a great deal of money as the beers are not cheap. We start at one end and just drink. I enjoy beer and I enjoy trying different types and styles but world showcase isn't anything special tho as most of the beers are found at any local packy. So I will get a beer here and there but like to change it up alittle and just grab a drinks that I might not be able to get at home around the world. In france we get one of the frozen gray goose things. Italy we will get some wine. England we will get strongbow. Mexico get :marg:.

gwfx1031
01-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Huh, what? Bad Beer? Where? never heard of such a thing.

Have fun, but be careful. This is a great thing to do and I know mnay people do it to appreciate the beer and wine from around the world. We have attempted it, but are such light weights, we give up after two countries and just settle on eating as opposed to drinking.

dteed
01-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Tough one to do for me. I enjoy a beer as much as the next person, but you might say I am a light beer person. The various lagers and flavors do not appeal to me. I would just as soon drink wine as I have done in the past.

inspector1
01-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Ahhh...memories. During my last trip (only one so far), I made it a point to sample, enjoy, savor at least one beer from every country in the World Showcase. This is one of my favorite memories from our trip. It took me two days but I made it. Here is the list of the beers I sampled during this tour;

USA- Samuel Adams draft-20 oz
Japan- Tsingtao bottle
France-Kronenbourg bottle
Mexico-Dos Equis amber draft 20 0z
China-Kirin draft 20 oz
Norway-Carlsberg draft 20 oz
Italy-Peroni bottle
Germany-Lowenbrau draft 20 oz (import)
Morrocco-I could only find Bud, Michelob bottle, but I had a Bud anyway.
And last at UK I had two. At Rose and Crown pub they have many great beers to choose from. I had two here. The first called a Golden(half Bass ale floated on top of Harp lager) and next called Black and tan (half Guiness stout floated on top of Bass)

The places that served draft beer were my favorite with USA, Norway and UK the best. My family and I will be returning the first week of March this year and I look forward to doing this again. Maybe spread it out over three visits so I actually taste the last beer of the night. It is quite expensive to make it all the way around but I had a good time. Most of the beers have strong flavors so it helps if you enjoy these styles.

ISURedBird97
01-18-2008, 03:12 PM
I have done this many times. It gets to be a great deal of money as the beers are not cheap. We start at one end and just drink. I enjoy beer and I enjoy trying different types and styles but world showcase isn't anything special tho as most of the beers are found at any local packy. So I will get a beer here and there but like to change it up alittle and just grab a drinks that I might not be able to get at home around the world. In france we get one of the frozen gray goose things. Italy we will get some wine. England we will get strongbow. Mexico get :marg:.

What's the frozen grey goose thing? I know Grey Goose is Vodka, so is this a mixed drink or a shooter?

ISURedBird97
01-18-2008, 03:18 PM
I though I read somewhere that the Mexico pavilion is getting a tequila bar. Is this true? I may not make it around the world if I do a shot of tequila in Mexico!:blush:

RoosMomKanga
01-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Yep- just read on Intercot News about the Tequila:marg: bar (50 seats?) replacing retailer in the indoor market place. I'd love to do "Drinks around the World" but I think I'd make it halfway and be :sick::ack: into the Lagoon (no mixing :marg::beer: for me)! I think there was a recent post on the Grey Goose (frozen) Drink if you do a Search.

bleukarma
01-18-2008, 04:06 PM
I may not make it around the world if I do a shot of tequila in Mexico!:blush:

I tried the "drink around the world" for my 21st birthday. Here's a tip: Don't go to Pleasure Island the night before and drink too much. That's what I did, and when I went to Epcot the next day I got my :marg: in Mexico and I was done for the rest of the day. :blush: I've never attempted to drink around the world again.

xipetotec
01-18-2008, 04:51 PM
OK - I know that World Showcase is not a Pub Crawl, but I've heard that some people actually do "beers around the World."

My husband and I would like to try it and need advice. Which beers are good and which ones are icky?

Thanks! :cheers:

depending on his "beer snobbery", it can be dissapointing UNLESS you go inside the restaurants in a couple of the countries ( namely Germany and Canada ). The outdoor offerings in these countries is pretty sad IMHO compared to what you can get INSIDE. Biergarten has Spaten's Doppelbock. this beer is just ... SO GOOD that you really don't need to leave ;) ... Le Cellier serves ( or used to serve? ) beers by Unibroue, a microbrewery in Quebec that makes Belgian style ales. Other than that, it's not that any of the beers are bad... but they are pretty typical pilsner style offerings except for Great Britain which has the usual Bass/Guiness/Harp offerings.

LONESTAR
01-18-2008, 05:14 PM
If they had Coor's Light I would drink around the world but they dont. So I drink when I get back to camp at FW.:beer::)

pook@wdw
01-18-2008, 08:03 PM
My DH and I call it "World Sampling". As we "eat and drink our way around the world.:eat::cheers: We sample a little food and spirits (not necessarily beer) from each country. It is especially fun during Food & Wine Festival in October, as there are several new temporary pavillions from other countries set up around the WS lagoon. It's a wonderful way to spend a relaxing late afternoon/evening stroll checking out the WS and enjoying the tastes and sounds (check out the British Invasion:rocker: in UK and Off Kilter:pipes: in Canada) of the world and top it off w/a most excellent fireworks/light show !!:fworks:

Tigger&Stitch
01-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Hmm..hard to say. "Good" and "icky" depends on what style of beer(s) your husband likes. My husband *loves* Guinness and other dark beers - he would never drink Bud, etc.

I like a lighter beer (only examples I know are NZ beers, which won't help you!)

Narrowing down his type first would be the best way to start - Pilsner, etc...

Have fun! We might do this on our trip too!

Meghan
01-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Well, I've done the "drink around the world" thing but I didn't limit it to beer. In some countries I had beer, and in others it was wine, mixed drinks, etc. With a few friends we started in Canada and went around to Mexico. After Mexico we had a very hilarious ride on Ellen's Energy Adventure. Because the best thing to do after 11 drinks is learn about energy. lol. Anyhow this is what we had:

Canada: Lebatt Blue. Yummy yummy. Not like we hadn't had it before though.

UK: A Welsh Dragon. They're so delicious. You can get them inside the bar at the Rose and Crown. The drink is orangey and minty at the same time. Sounds weird, but I swear its delish.

France: Glass of champagne from the champagne stand

Moracco: Tangerine Daquiri. They add rum to a pre mixed daquiri. So it's possible to get a heavy poor once in awhile. :secret:

Japan: Plum wine from inside the gift shop. None of us liked this, but we got to keep the cup... so I guess that's cool.

American Adventure: Bud Light. What's more American right? :thumbsup:

Italy: A Peach Bellini. If you've never had one before, you're missing out. It's peach puree mixed with sparkling wine. They're AWESOME.

Germany: The wheat beer they have in the quick service place. The name escapes me, but it's the only wheat beer they have. Very good.

China: Plum wine from Lotus Blossum Cafe. Why did we get plum wine in China when we hated the plum wine we got in Japan? Because we're stupid. That's why.

Norway: Carlsberg beer. Again, very yum. Of course, I find most beer to be delicious, so I'm probably biased.

Mexico: :marg::marg::marg:

So there you go. My trip around the world. Hopefully I inspired someone. haha

PirateLover
01-19-2008, 03:05 AM
OK I've done this one and 1/2 times now.

I'd go out of my way to recommend:
Mexico: Fiesta Margarita, plain or with sugar on the rim. This one is a mixture of all the flavors. When I got one with salt, the salt flavor was just too overwhelming for me which is saying something because I LOVE salt.

China: TsingTsao beer. According to the CM who recommended it, it's "Number one in China!!!!" And I can see why! Yum:beer:

France: Orange Grand Marnier Slush or glass of sweet white wine. I believe the Grey Goose slush is lemon? Not sure haven't' tried it.

UK: Strongbow cider all the way! Love this stuff, it was the drink of choice when we actually were in London a few years ago.

And at some point pick up a Carlsberg as well.. I think Norway sells it?

The rest of the pavilions I don't have any real recommendations, although I did almost :ack: after having Saki in Japan, but that could just be because I don't like Saki, I don't know as I'd never tried it before nor have I tried it since.
:marg::beer::thumbsup:

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
01-19-2008, 11:49 AM
I was gonna try this one year.Had a molsen in Canada made it to Britain and thats where I ended up the rest of the day. At the rose pub I found my people.Half yards of harp and shots of Jamison.Needless to say Epcot looks a lot different when your completely numb.

Camping Mom
01-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Can't help you on this one...I don't drink!! I really hate the smell of beer.:beer:

Now, not having Dr. Pepper in the parks...I could go on and on about!! sigh

kbean
01-20-2008, 09:41 AM
It's fun I hear to drink around the world, then jump on Missions to Mars and ride the ruff version.:beer::beer::beer::ack:

RoosMomKanga
01-20-2008, 11:16 AM
...made it to Britain and thats where I ended up the rest of the day. At the rose pub I found my people. :funny: It's so true...what a nice place!

Still can't believe there's no non-American beer in Morocco?:confused:

Janmac
01-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Well, in Morocco it's kind of a religious thing, I think.

One way to drink around the World, requiring a parkhopper ticket, is to go every evening to WS. Then you can easily sample a couple of countries each day til you've covered the World. Going inside to the table service restaurant does help.

I have yet to taste a light beer I like, which makes Norway a disappointing place. My favorite is any country with a dark beer (Dos Equis dark in Mexico will suffice).

Jan

TheMartellFamily
01-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Well Morrocco does have a beer and it is our favorite. It is Casa beer and it is short for Casablanca beer. We look forward to it everytime we are there.

TheMartellFamily
01-20-2008, 02:28 PM
The sad story of this is that they got rid of Ringes beer in Norway. That was the best of all the beers around the world. Because it left we tried to find a new one and that is how we found the Casa beer in Morrocco. We also love Kirin in Japan.

tinksmom02
01-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Well, I think we managed to do a pretty good job of drinking around the world in Sept, and we were joined by DH's great-aunts!

These are in no particular order, just how I remember them:

Mexico--fiesta margaritas, of course! :marg:
Morocco--we ate dinner at Marrakesh, and they were out of their Moroccan beer. :confused: So we had some other kind of beer LOL :beer:
Italy: Peach Bellini, very yummy!
Germany: Beer, of course! Mark and great-aun #1 discoverd Spaten (which he has found in our local liqur store since then, i think it's his new fave), and great-aunt2 and I had Beck's
France: Grey Goose Slush, delicious! (It's sold at one of the outside kiosks)
UK: More beer, of course! Bass for DH and GA1, Harp for me and GA2
Didn't drink in Norway, but I have had Carlsberg (in Ireland, of all places!), and I can vouch that it is very good!

caryrae
01-20-2008, 11:06 PM
They need a place like Club Cool but with beer.:beer::tasty::crazy:

AHOTE
02-02-2008, 01:42 AM
We did the Food & Wine Festival this past year and did the Wines around the world. We went back a few days later and did Beers around the world. I'm partial to Belgain Beers but I found good beers throughout the park. You might even want to try some of the resort bars. While waiting for our seating at Boma we had some rather good beers at the AKL that weren't availabe anywhere else on property, and I'm sure other resorts have their own specialty beers as well. Can't wait till 11/2/08 to try it all again.:beer: