PDA

View Full Version : Pressed Penny Machines

MicMouse
01-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Do the images on the pressed penny machines ever change?

My son has a nice collection from our trip in 2004, and wants to do it again. Will he end up with the same images?

Even if they are the same, its a pretty cool (and inexpensive) souvenir.

MOJoe
01-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Gosh, there are so many of those machines. And most have multiple images, so in order to have duplicates, i would think you would have to have a large collection. A very large collection.
2 years ago, my son could not pass one of those machines without pressing a penny. We ended up with a dozen or so, and i didn't think we had scratched the surface of what was available. So look around. You should find plenty that you don't already have.

dteed
01-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Very nice inexpensive souviner. I don't know if they change them or just add new ones.

Magic Smiles
01-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Very nice inexpensive souviner. I don't know if they change them or just add new ones.

They weren't inexpensive for us. Between our trip in 2000 and 2005 we probably have over 500. This adds up. Many of them @ $0.51 and maybe 40 or so @ $1.25.
We have also collected them from Universal and Sea World. Every tourist place seems to have pressed pennies now.

Altair
01-18-2008, 03:44 PM
There are 322 pressed coins available at the four parks and DTD plus the ones available at the resorts.
Penny designs change, but very slowly. Quarters are still "Happiest Celebration on Earth" which ended about three years ago. :mickey:

crazeedizneefinatic
01-18-2008, 03:50 PM
When you return to Disney next visit the Town Hall in MK for a list of ALL pressed penny locations. It's gives you machine locations for the parks, resorts and DTD. It also gives you the image that can be pressed at that location. It's fun to find the ones you need. Good luck. My son started his collection last trip (Sept. 07) and all he talks about is the pressed pennies he needs. We have already filled a souvenier book with a few extra. Looks like we need another holder. As far as inexpensive, maybe if you only do a few but I am with the other poster. We spent several rolls of quarters plus the pennies. It does add up fast and we haven't even scratched the surface but boy is it fun and they are a great souvenier.

Altair
01-18-2008, 04:04 PM
You can find Intercots list here (http://intercot.com/infocentral/coins/default.asp).

There is a really nice checklist at presscoins.com, it is also more up to date as far as designs go. Go to the site then look at left margin and click "listings" :mickey:

MicMouse
01-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the updates.

My son is really looking forward to getting the pressed pennies again. He took them to school for show and tell and it was a big hit.

We've collected a few from different spots, like the Rainforest Cafe in Chicago and even the Miller Park Zoo in Bloomington, IL. :mickey:

pixiesmimi
01-18-2008, 05:13 PM
We did this on our last trip and actually went out of our way trying to find as many as we could. We filled up a book with some left over. I followed a list I had gotten and checked them off but some of the series, like the Princesses, are spread out through the resorts. So you have to visit all of the resorts to get all of them. It is fun though. But after I got home and added it up, decided it wasn't really inexpensive after all. But, I guess in comparison, it is a cheap souvenir.:mickey:

KineGirl
01-21-2008, 01:54 AM
HS.. they will have the most current list (although sometimes pressedcoins.com seems to beat them at their own game!) I am an avid penny collector - I go 2 or 3 times a year and there are always new coins to get. Disney comes out with new machines and retires others annually. Right now they still have the quarter presses for Happiest Celebration on Earth so be sure to grab one (or 50 LOL) before theyre gone! Contrary to somes belief, most of the coins are not repeats.

As someone who has been to WDW over 30 times in the past 13 years I just have to say that I really enjoy collecting these. They started off as inexpensive mementos for my DD and wouldnt you know her interest totally waned after the first year! I, however could not give them up!! I kept collecting and a couple of years ago we finally admit its MY squished coin collection! (And now I have so many its truly a "collection" or rather several collections!) Seeking them out has brought me to all corners of THE WORLD. Careful the bug doesnt bite you too :D

Happy Collecting!

SignguyTom
01-21-2008, 12:30 PM
When we go back in May, we plan on taking a pencil rubbing of the ones we have from 2006. This will give a visual instead of a checklist. Also, a lot lighter than carrying them around! :thumbsup:

As far as cost goes, yes, they do add up. But they also last forever, unless they get lost. They don't take up much room and bring back the same memories as a $250 souvenir!