PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion-Trying a New Resort?

2disneyfans
01-18-2008, 10:31 AM
DH and I have stayed at Caribbean Beach for both of our Disney trips. We are considering going to Disney again this year in 2008. We are trying to decide if we would like to try another resort or not.

DH really likes the theme of Wilderness Lodge, but we are not sure if we want to pay that much.

We have also thought about ASMusic for the reasonable rates. However, with not having children of our own, we were not sure what a value stay would be like for a couple that does not have children. (PLEASE do not take that the wrong way at all. We love kids, we have 7 nieces and nephews that often stay over night with us at different times. I am a teacher too. I have just heard from others who have stayed at values that there are often many children there because it is more reasonablly priced.)

Or, should we try another moderate?

I'm just curious about what other people have done, especially those that have stayed at CB and know what it is like there compared to other resorts!:mickey:

Donald's Girl
01-18-2008, 10:37 AM
As another couple who travels alone (and is exactly the same with kids, just have lots more nieces and nephews) we can say you will love the Wilderness Lodge. That is really one of our favorite resorts. If you want to save and stay moderate I really recommend Port Orleans. We really prefer Riverside. The mansion style, the grounds and the boat to DTD fit our needs perfectly. We have also stayed at French Quarter but think Riverside is a little more magical for adults.

May524
01-18-2008, 10:47 AM
What about Old Key West? It's a beautiful resort. VERY laid back in atmosphere and the villas are very spacious. I've enjoyed greatly the 2 trips we have stayed there. We also LOVED the Boardwalk! It was a great resort for our honeymoon, there was always something going on. The transportation was incredible, and the food options were great there and with having the yacht and beach club at a stones there, and the back gate to world showcase!
I've never stayed at the WL, but I want to very much!
Best of luck! :D

BigRedDad
01-18-2008, 10:48 AM
The good thing about WDW is experiencing what it has to offer. I would recommend trying another moderate or deluxe. I think the value resorts would not fit the couples only style. They tend to be more hectic and loud with all of the kids. We are staying at PC because we now have our DD going with us and I could not afford a moderate while having to cover part of my parents room as well.

We have stayed a CSR. Some people do not like it, but it is more catered to an older crowd with the convention center. It is a great place to stay. POR and POFQ are both very nice as well. Try it. If you don't like them, you can always go back CBR on your next visit.

Disney Doll
01-18-2008, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't downgrade to a value. It's pretty easy to get spoiled by the mod or deluxes. We like to try new things so I'd recommend another moderate. I've heard great things about POFQ. We're staying there for the first time this Oct. I know what you mean about the values. I like them and have stayed there myself, but if I were doing an adult only trip I'd rather stay somewhere else. There are lots of kids at the values and because the buildings are so close together it kind of feels crowded even when it's not. Plus the theming is kind of childish, which of course is great if you have kids, but...

mrsgaribaldi
01-18-2008, 11:28 AM
It's me and DH, no kids either. We like to try different resorts with the hope of hitting them all eventually. My favorite value is PoP, we both don't really like the other values anymore but we have stayed at PoP at least once a year for the last few years. My favorite deluxe is the Polynesian (it's DH's fav too). We've stayed there once, can't afford it everytime.:( For moderates, we've gone to most of them. I like POFQ and CBR best, with POR and Coronado Springs close behind. We stayed at Coronado in Dec and we are going again in 3 weeks.
I never found to many kids at the values, it's not like they go home with you;)

Bri
01-18-2008, 11:29 AM
On our first trip as a couple, we stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter. On our second trip we stayed at Pop Century. In December we are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I have to say, out of Pop and French Quarter, French Quarter was amazing. We are a young couple who doesn't have kids yet so when we tried Pop it was mostly to save money. We got really spoiled at French Quarter the year before becuase it was very small (not a long walk to anything) and it was very quite. I thought it had a very romantic feel as well. My biggest problem with Pop was that at the end of the day, when you get off the bus and you are exhausted, you still had to make a hike to your room. I really don't think you can go wrong with French Quarter and it would cost the same as if you were to stay at CB again. We would be staying at FQ again if we didn't get a discount at Animal Kingdom. Give it a try, I'm sure you will love it!

Itchy
01-18-2008, 11:37 AM
We have stayed at CBR, Asm, Asp, and POP.
With kids and without and never had a problem and enjoyed the stay. I look at it this way as we did not spend much time in our room so as long as we had a place to lay our heads was all that mattered. We have visited the other resort and liked a lot of them but not the price.

If you can afford to try one of them go for it.

It not everyday that they will get to see your smiling faces. :mickey:

MOJoe
01-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Since you are a teacher, you should call the Swan & Dolphin. It is a great "adult oriented" resort, and depending on the time you go, you may get apx. the same rate as CBR. When you call, just tell them you want to know the Teacher rate.

Tygger7
01-18-2008, 11:43 AM
My first recommendation would be to go with the Wilderness Lodge. It's the "cheapest" of the deluxe resorts, and by far our favorite. Don't hesitate to go with a "standard" view....I've never seen a "bad" view from the WL. It's also very easy to get to the Magic Kingdom...just a beautiful boat ride across the lake.

We stayed at POFQ and didn't like it at all, so we've never been back to the moderates. However, I've heard really good things about PO Riverside.

We drive to WDW and always spend our first night at one of the Value resorts, since we're exhausted from traveling. They're nice, but you really get spoiled after staying deluxe.

Good luck!!

BrerGnat
01-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Prior to having children, DH and I took 3 trips to WDW.

The first we stayed at All Star Music. We were "poor college students" so it fit us well.

The second we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge (wedding/honeymoon). It was FABULOUS! The WL is the perfect resort for a couples getaway. We were there 8 nights total and it was a magical place to spend our honeymoon.

The third time, we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. That was a great place to stay (I had stayed there as a kid w/my family, so I was familiar with the resort). The best part about the resort is the overall quiet, lots of walking paths (we would jog together in the early morning, and it was great for that) and our favorite was the Lounge at night with the piano player. We spent a lot of time at the resort, and this was a great moderate resort for doing that.

For your particular situation, I'd recommend the WL followed by the Port Orleans Riverside. You won't be disappointed in either.

You may be slightly taken aback at the garishness of the Values, coupled with the crowds, loudness, and overall rowdy atmosphere of them. Plus, there's just something (to me) about staying in the values that conjures up feelings that I am NOT on vacation...relaxation does not happen at the Values...if you're really into partying it up and having fun/being loud/acting like a kid, then you might LOVE the Values. For us, though, those days of staying Value are over. If we can't swing at least moderate, we don't go.

RoosMomKanga
01-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Stayed (both w/wo kids) at CBR, POP, ASSp, and POR (staying at POFQ next trip-no kids). I agree it depends on how much you use the resort- if you're just using it to sleep, then I'd recommend POP over ASSp. We LOVED POR as a moderate. If you can afford it, and will use the amenities- WL sounds wonderful! Have fun.:thumbsup:

A Mouse Fan
01-18-2008, 12:02 PM
We are also a couple with no kids (at least yet) and we have tried a couple deluxes and the CBR. Once we tried the WL we just can't bring ourselves to book anywhere else. You walk into the Lodge and your jaw drops it's so breath-taking! It's very romantic and we love to relax at the end of the day and sit on our balcony and watch the people in the pool or the boats picking people up and dropping them off from the MK. I say if you can afford to book the WL...go for it! :thumbsup:

btharvey
01-18-2008, 03:45 PM
I think that since you've been 'moderate,' you won't care too much for 'value.' Likewise, we've stayed at a couple of moderates and don't really see too much different. Yes, the scenery is different, and the food courts/restaurants are a little different, they're not different enough to be meaningful.

The next time we return, we're staying at Fort Wilderness, and I'd recommend either that or a Deluxe (we haven't stayed at Poly or the Contemporary yet, but some day we'll enjoy being on the monorail, I'm certain). Make it different.

Also, make dinner reservations at one of the Deluxe resorts. We did Chef Mickey one day, and Boma's another. Gave us a flavor for what staying there might be like (no pun intended). But make it different, if you enjoy the accommodations as well as the parks.

Rayadragon
01-18-2008, 06:24 PM
My family also normally stays at CB, but once we stayed at WL for a special trip.

I'm not sure if the rest of my party would agree, but for the price I'd probably keep staying at CB rather than switching over to WL. I won't deny that WL is beautiful, but I actually like the sprawling tropical theme of CB and really enjoy walking around that resort. I thought the CS food court was better at CB, but I know WL did re-do this section. My family normally doesn't eat TS, but I do have to admit you have to eat at Whispering Cafe once, even if you don't have kids.

I had a lot of fun at WL, but I'm more the type to stick with the tropics of CB and save the extra money for some souveners :)

Tigger&Stitch
01-18-2008, 06:46 PM
I've only stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Wilderness Lodge, so not sure how helpful you'll find my comments!

Personally, I love the WL. Like others above mentioned, it's very quiet and romantic, and the lobby is incredibly grand. Plus, it is one of the cheaper "deluxe" resorts. Completely different feel from the Carribean Beach, though, so my suggestion is to review why you like the CB and go from there. Is it because of the tropical theme? Or just an overall feeling of calm?

I also suggest booking a split trip - even if you book a different resort for one or two nights, then book your "stand-by favorite" (CB) for the last days of your trip so you leave on a happy note in case your other choice doesn't work out.

If a split trip sounds too complicated/messy (many posts on this!) you could stay in the CB and "resort hop" for research.

dmosher
01-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Ok I have stayed at CB and while it was not the best experience (nothing at all to do with the resort) I do remember it being a decent resort.

Personally if you want a value resort, with fewer children, I liked the Coronando. I know it's not as posh as many other resorts, but it is a beautiful little place, and very quiet. Plus it has the most spectacular sunsets to watch from the hammocks by its small lagoon and a GREAT POOL!!!

On the other hand, if you can afford a more expensive resort, we LOVE the WL. I mean truly love it. It is beautiful, convenient and the best part is that if you get a room far from the main pool (the area near the villas; you can see them from your balcony we like room 4140) it is very quiet. This side is also a very quick and easy walk to and from the bus stop, complete with a heap of little lizards that dart across the path... SOOO CUTE!!! There is even a stairwell and hallway that opens you on the back of the building right next to the path to the bus stop.

Basically, if you love the CB as much as we love the WL, stay there and enjoy it. If your looking to branch out a little, switch resorts half way or for this trip, stay at the CB then take a few hours (we take full day from the parks every trip) and explore a few other resorts for your next trip. It is a lot of fun and you may find little hidden gems or moments away from the parks you otherwise would never get to experience.

Tink#64
01-18-2008, 10:08 PM
I never found to many kids at the values, it's not like they go home with you;)

Mrsgaribaldi - so many of your posts crack me up! :funny:

We've only stayed at values, our DS's are 10 & 12, so we think they are perfect right now. We've thought about trying a mod, but we think we might be disappointed in the atmosphere. We like the bright & lively atmosphere, for us right now - that says WDW! Pop is such a cool & colorful resort! Maybe when DS's get older we might try something else. For a couple only I would stay somewhere other than a value - simply for the atmosphere alone - they just seem a little more grownup from what I've seen!

dolphinmickey9170
01-19-2008, 05:57 AM
I would mix it up and try something new. :mickey:My goal is to hit EVERY single resort on property. This may take a while, but with DVC points, it's possible. I know there are a couple of folks here that are doing just that and have almost completed the mission - I wish you all luck with it!!

DISNEYFIX
01-19-2008, 06:59 AM
Try other places. Give the WL, OKW or BC a try you will love any one of them.

mrsgaribaldi
01-19-2008, 07:39 AM
I'm not sure if the rest of my party would agree, but for the price I'd probably keep staying at CB rather than switching over to WL. I won't deny that WL is beautiful, but I actually like the sprawling tropical theme of CB and really enjoy walking around that resort. I thought the CS food court was better at CB, but I know WL did re-do this section. \
I had a lot of fun at WL, but I'm more the type to stick with the tropics of CB and save the extra money for some souveners :)

I agree with you. We stayed at the WL once and it was nice but I wasn't that crazy about it. It was to big. We drive and we always had to park far away unless we were using the valet service. At the moderates we can usually park very close to our room. We are in no rush to go back. Now the Polynesian I could stay at every time;)

playdead88
01-19-2008, 07:51 AM
we fell in love with the boardwalk the first year and went back to the boardwalk the second year but then we decided to try the beach club which was awesome and it kinda made it a whole new vacation - so we have come up with a plan to try a different deluxe resort each year till we hit them all - we are headed to the WL in april and can't wait!! :mickey:

Kairi_7378
01-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Try something new!!! :thumbsup:
We haven't been able to justify spending enough $$$ to go deluxe, so I can understand your hesitation to upgrade. Honestly, if you feel bad about spending that much, follow your instinct and try another one of the mods. POR or CS sound like a good fit for you. You can always visit Artist's Point for a nice dinner and visit to the WL. If you're thinking of going value, I'd suggest POP.

mickeytravel
01-19-2008, 02:43 PM
we have stayed at various places throughout disney. WE LOVE WL! it may be a little pricey but once you stay you'll find a way to do it. I would rather stay one day less to make sure i can stay there rather then staying somewhere else.

#1donaldfan
01-20-2008, 09:06 AM
We are definatley "creatures of habbit"...we've only ever stayed at POR....I would not try a value, they just seem busy all the time. POR is very laid back, quiet, very relaxing, that's why we do it every time. We do like the "feel" of the WL, if we could, I think that would be our next choice. Have fun choosing.....:mickey:

rj
01-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Try another resort. We have been to several. Our favorite so far is WL. If you get an annual pass, you can get some really good rates at WL at times. We will be at the Poly in 2 weeks - can't wait.