PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship Earth-Open?

JoseCarioca
01-17-2008, 05:20 PM
I know that Spaceship Earth is not officially open until February...but does anyone know how much it is open during the preview period? I am going next week and wondered what my chances of getting on would be.

Thanks for your help!

BouncingTigger
01-17-2008, 05:32 PM
I was there last week (Jan 11) and it was open. There was only a very short line (this was mid afternoon).

DisFan01
01-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Most of the time, it is open for previews, but you never know what could happen. When I went, we waited in line for about an hour, and we were the next family to get on, and they shut it down because of a "hydraulic fluid leak". We checked back later that night, and it was open again! :thumbsup:

goin2disney
01-17-2008, 05:56 PM
I know someone who just got back and she said it was opened I had told her it was a soft opening and she had no clue it had been closed.

irish1967
01-17-2008, 09:18 PM
I just returned on Tuesday from the marathon - I think we went on it on Friday. There is a sign that essentially says that the ride will not be officially open until Feb. 2008 so it may close periodically.

Personally, I would think your chances of getting on are good - No obvious problems noticed by the three of us!

If you don't get on - there is always next time!

madi47
01-18-2008, 06:19 AM
I'm glad to hear they are still having openings here and there. I was there in August and missed riding. Hoping I'll get a chance to ride in a week.:tink:

Terra
01-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Is the second half done yet inside then??? For those that have been very recently???
I'm going next week and hoping it is open!

ibrowse17
01-18-2008, 09:59 AM
We just happened to catch it open for a preview on our last trip a few weeks ago. There was no line at all, and it was interesting to see what they had added. Of course it was not complete, but you could tell he direction they were going. The next day it was open again, but the line was huge!!! I had never seen the line at SSE that big before. DW and I just smiled as we walked by:thumbsup:

CT_Rah218
01-21-2008, 07:09 PM
I just came back from Disney and got a chance to go on Spaceship Earth.

Major changes (that I noticed/remember)
1. Cars-There are now LCD screens attached to your "vehicle"
2. Narration-Now it's Judi Dench
3. Cavemen-Animation way cooler on the cave wall
4. No more Greek theater...now they focus on Mathematics (blech)
5. Paperboy has his back to you (?)
6. Now there are 2 new scenes- From the 1970's showing how huge computers were and then you go through a garage viewing what I assume to be BIll Gates working on a small computer.
7. SOUNDTRACK!!!!!?????? This is what upset me the most...as you travel back to earth and view the fiber optics...there is no music! Instead, you take a quiz on your LCD screen and it creates your own "future" using a picture taken from the beginning of the ride. It was cute/funny...but it didn't give me chills like that old soundtrack used to.

Anyone know where I could find the soundtrack to spaceship earth??????:mickey:

Hair_Razor
01-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Welcome CT, thanks for the review! I am so excited, I will be there in 18 days and am hoping it will be up and running then!!

DisFan01
01-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Anyone know where I could find the soundtrack to spaceship earth??????:mickey:

Do you mean the old or new?

Oh, and

:welcome: to INTERCOT!! :rocks:

cubbie
01-21-2008, 11:36 PM
6. Now there are 2 new scenes- From the 1970's showing how huge computers were and then you go through a garage viewing what I assume to be BIll Gates working on a small computer.

I've heard people debate about who exactly it is, and I know for a fact that it's not Bill Gates(They mention it being a garage in California). The debate is whether it's Steve Jobs or Steve Wozniak (the Apple guys). I guess it's whichever one you want it to be, since I don't think Disney announced who it is. Most people will probably assume it's Gates, though, since he's the most famous name in computers, but it really represents one of those Apple guys. Just a little FYI.

CaptainSad
01-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Is the second half done yet inside then??? For those that have been very recently???
I'm going next week and hoping it is open!

You are asking if it is done? Sorry to say it is. It will stay that way until the lines gets smaller and nobody wants to go on anymore. A really big disappointment. Is WDI sleeping or do they have a bunch of dummies working them now... Man I could have thought of something better than what they have come up with.

WDWCrazyKaren
01-22-2008, 11:32 AM
We were there from January 7-12, and it was open every day. They had signs posted that was open until 8:30PM each day, even though many other rides and attractions were closed in Future World earlier.

I am STILL hoping that they are working on the ride down portion. I know folks are saying it's done, but I have this little part of me that likes to think that Disney would never leave the last have of the ride "unfinished" or "stupid", which is what the last half is right now.

It makes me sad. SE is my all-time favorite ride at WDW, and it makes me sad that it got worse instead of better.

And the poor paperboy yelling "extry, extry" into a back wall, like he's been punished...how very unfortunate.

Karen

dnickels
01-23-2008, 10:03 PM
I'll have to try again this week, I've been there a handful of times lately and haven't caught it when it was open.

Re: the garage, I'm guessing it's the Hewlett-Packard garage rather than Gates or Jobs. Did it look anything like this?

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/histnfacts/garage/

Mollywobbles
01-24-2008, 12:18 AM
I was there on Jan. 23 and it was open. The regular queue lines were open (instead of that wall that I had seen in a picture). I noticed a sign along the way that said that the ride won't have it's official re-opening until Febuary and that the ride could close at any time without notice.

***spoilers ahead***

I thought the enhancements to the ride were nice, especially the cave men scenes. The part at the end was cute, except that my face didn't make it into the scene. Apparently, when the camera took my picture I wasn't looking in the right direction. My mom's turned out quite well.

cubbie
01-24-2008, 07:56 PM
I'll have to try again this week, I've been there a handful of times lately and haven't caught it when it was open.

Re: the garage, I'm guessing it's the Hewlett-Packard garage rather than Gates or Jobs. Did it look anything like this?

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/histnfacts/garage/

That was an interesting read. I never knew HP went back that far. However, it isn't the HP garage. There is a younger guy in the garage, which would be Wozniak or Jobs (Apple guys). Just read up on those guys on wikipedia, and you'll see that Apple, and the personal computer, was essentially started in Jobs' garage.
The debate (as trivial as it is) is whether it's actually Jobs or Wozniak in the garage on the ride. You be the judge.

Disney Maniac
01-24-2008, 08:11 PM
It really just depends on whats going on. We got to ride it and the CM said that the previews are random. One day it could be open three times another it could be none. He also said they only open it for like one to two hours then close it again. So it is really just luck of the draw. But Good Luck, hopefully you can get a sneak prieview!!!:mickey: