PDA

View Full Version : All Alone! Where to Dine?

jakeybake
01-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi all,

I was lucky enough to be invited to a conference at the Grand Floridian the first week of March. I have never been to WDW alone before and am wondering how I should plan out my dining.

To be honest, I think I would be a bit embarrassed to dine at a nice full service restaraunt alone since I have never done this before.

Has anyone ever dined alone and if so, did you feel comfortable doing it? I want to enjoy myself and great meals are always as important to me as the parks and resort are.

Should I just get over it and eat at the nicer places or should I just counter service all week?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Jay

JPL
01-17-2008, 03:50 PM
I have dined alone many times at WDW. Restaurants where you can sit at the bar are always a great choice for dining alone. Then there are always the obvious CS locations and hotel food courts. But if you feel the urge to have a nice meal don't let dining alone discourage you. I will admit at times it does feel a little weird but for the most part you should be fine.

AwPhooey
01-17-2008, 04:01 PM
I've eaten at a few restaurants alone and, like JPL said, eating at a bar is great.

For example, I ate at California Grill by myself and I was seated at the bar right in front of the kitchen, so I was able to watch the chefs cook all of the great food!

If you don't mind sitting with other families, Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue and Spirit of Aloha are great because you can sit with others and enjoy dinner and the show.

I also ate at Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner (character meal) and, while the food was good, it was kind of awkward being surrounded by families whose kids were there to see the characters. One nice family asked if I wanted photos with the characters, but I declined.

If I ever go on another solo trip, I'll take the opportunity to dine at restaurants that would be too expensive if I went with the rest of my family.

Kidsmom
01-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Yes, enjoy your dining alone. I have done it tons of time (although never at WDW) but I always bring a book just in case it feels awkward and/or some starts bothering me.

Enjoy the freedom!!

vicster
01-17-2008, 04:34 PM
The Biergarten in Epcot is a great place to dine- you sit with other people at a long table. We've met many nice people eating there and we really enjoy the food and show.

DCDisney
01-17-2008, 04:41 PM
The only real sit-down restaurants where I have dined alone are the ESPN Club and Spoodles. What was nice was going into the ESPN Club, avoiding the long line outside, and going into the bar area, for a seat at the bar. I had a fabulous chicken caesar salad. At Spoodles, I had a pretty early seating. I was seated at a table at the window, so I did people watching, and I also brought postcards to write out.

The rest of my meals were at hotel foodcourts, or counter-service places in the parks. I loved getting a hot dog and such at Casey's Corner and sitting on their bleachers, or getting a turkey leg from the cart in Frontierland, and sitting on a bench, and waited for the parade.

Don't be shy about eating wherever you want to enjoy the ambience and/or food. Enjoy !!!!

Aggie97
01-17-2008, 04:42 PM
I had a few days alone at WDW last month while my husband was at a work conference. I dined at CS locations only, so I can't advise about solo TS dining, but having a book to read while I ate made it much more enjoyable! :mickey:

goin2disney
01-17-2008, 06:17 PM
I personally would not eat at a TS meal alone but would eat at a bar solo. For example, you can eat at the Rainforest cafe. They have a really nice bar area.
Also, it would be fun to eat at World Showcase. You can get a bit of everything. Maybe one thing from each country.

Crow
01-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Many times ive eaten solo at WDW....most times in Epcot WS, as thats where ive spent the most time, but ive also done places such as AP, CA Grill, Akershus (well i did feel a little awkward as it was a princess meal, but Jasmine made up for it)
The only bad time was eating solo at Boma, where i ended up flirting w hostess & ended up married to her....but thats a bad story best forgotten.
as has been suggested the bar areas are a good bet. when i eat at CA Grill next solo i may request it. If you want to be seated w someone, do Biergarten, but i prefer sitting alone.

ChrisF
01-17-2008, 08:37 PM
No problem eating solo here:thumbsup:
Part of my last trip was solo. I ate at Tusker House at AK in 2005 and since it was crowded with families I found a nice table in the alley way. Sigh! I guess the alley way is now the entrance since they changed to a buffet. But I plan on eating there this trip also.
I also ate at the Rose and Crown, it was an off time between lunch and dinner, the waitress was very attentive, a little chatting but not so much as you could not enjoy the meal. I was very comfortable eating solo.
Also like another poster said grab something at counter service and people watch.
Nothing like WDW solo, the only person you have to worry about having a good time is you and you can do whatever makes you happy. :cloud9:

Rikkikika
01-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi all,

I was lucky enough to be invited to a conference at the Grand Floridian the first week of March. I have never been to WDW alone before and am wondering how I should plan out my dining.

To be honest, I think I would be a bit embarrassed to dine at a nice full service restaraunt alone since I have never done this before.

Has anyone ever dined alone and if so, did you feel comfortable doing it? I want to enjoy myself and great meals are always as important to me as the parks and resort are.

Should I just get over it and eat at the nicer places or should I just counter service all week?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Jay

For my job I travel with large groups, but I usually set them on their merry way in the evenings once I've gotten them from A-B. Especially when I need some me time and want to escape the well over 100+ adults who need hand holding :crowd: so I often eat alone when not playing uberleader :) I'd try the following: the Rainforest Cafe is a good choice as they have hightops and bar seating, Blue Zoo over at the Dolphin is very nice and the bar staff will chat you up - plus if it's convention time you'll get others like your self looking for someone to chat with. I'd also recommend, The Biergarten in Germany and a majority of the restaurants in EPCOT. If you're shy about eating alone, bring a prop - blackberry/cellphone, literature you need to read, book etc. You'll be fine! Have a great time!

PrincessCandaceMarie
01-18-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm always at WDW alone, and I eat at all venues, from CS to TS and I've been fine all the time. I've never felt strange, and I seem to get even more attention from the wait staff since I am alone...I've even had a group of ladies ask my server at the GF if I would join them since I was alone, and my server was so sweet, she told the ladies that I was fine and thanked them for caring....(I eat at the GF a lot and the wait staff knows me so it was okay for her to answer for me) but yes, by all means, eat alone, its fine!

Taja
01-18-2008, 01:21 PM
I've dined solo at many WDW TS locations quite comfortably.

I refuse to sit in the bar area. It just doesn't appeal to me. :)

dra_rosie_k
01-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I have been to WDW alone many times. For a really nice meal I always like Flying Fish on the Boardwalk. There is a counter where you can sit and watch the chefs. They will chat with you a bit sometimes too and there may be other "solos" with whom you can engage in some Disney conversation :mickey:

irish1967
01-18-2008, 01:38 PM
I would probably take the opportunity to eat at a restaurant that would be unavailable to you for whatever (picky eaters in family or expense)

Do you know anyone else attending the conference that might be interested in checking out some of the better restaurants WDW has to offer? Or as you meet and talk to people at the conference, maybe you'll find someone in the same boat!

Good luck!

jakeybake
01-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Actually, I will know a ton of people at the convention, including my boss who is a great guy. But to be honest I really want to hit most everything solo, since I have only gone with family in the past and have felt restricted at times. I always want to go non-stop from morning til night and my wife is the opposite. Happy to go at a nice slow pace and if we miss a few rides then so be it.

That's why I have asked about dining solo because that is the one thing I feel awkward about.

LibertyTreeGal
01-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Oh my goodness, I would eat at all of the places my husband would hate (and I never make ADR's for anyplace I don't think we will both enjoy, what's the point?).

Go for it!

Jared
01-19-2008, 10:26 AM
As you can see by the responses already, a lot of people have comfortably dined solo at Walt Disney World. If you search this forum, you will find several threads about this exact topic with similar opinions.

I've never visited Disney alone, but I definitely wouldn't hesitate eating at the restaurants you like. Consider your situation a gift! Now you can make reservations at places you may not otherwise try with your family.

:tasty:

Hammer
01-19-2008, 10:54 AM
I have dined solo many times at WDW and have never had a problem except San Angel Inn, where my service was poor. If they do have a food bar where you can eat and watch the chefs, do it! One of my favorite places to sit is at the food bar watching the sushi chefs at California Grill. If you think you may feel awkward, bring a book to read.

Sylvia
01-19-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm a regular solo traveler to WDW. Here are my favorite restaurants for solo meals:

50s Prime Time - great chance to interact with others - my last trip was a riot. Our server gave each table a test, and we all helped each other with the answers. This is still my all-time favorite restaurant, both with family/friends and solo.

Plaza Restaurant - I wanted a burger, but wanted to go to a table service restaurant. This turned out to be a fun time. I will definitely eat here again in the future.

Rainforest Cafe - Another fun place to go solo. The food is great and the servers are friendly.

Kona Cafe - Love that Tonga Toast at breakfast.

I usually limit my table service meals when I'm solo, not because I feel uncomfortable, but because, with all of the new food choices available, I can always find something great to eat.

Go for it!! You'd be surprised just how many solo diners there are in WDW. You'll have a great time and may even meet some interesting fellow guests.

Hull-onian
01-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Many times I have eaten solo. I like to sit by a window and just watch people walk by. I like to look at brochures I might hav picked up along the way. It is a good way to chill out and relax. You'll be just fine.:thumbsup: