PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about POP for wheelchair accesability?

Hayden's Dad
01-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey guys,
We are planning a trip to the most magical place in the World for the week of October 13-18. We want to go to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.
What do you think about us staying at POP. DW and I have stayed there before Hayden was born and we like the resort. Plus they have their own bus transportation. I thought about upgrading to the Caribean, but it would be another $200.00 and we just aren't in the room long enough to warrant the extra money. We open the parks and on the night of the party will be there until after midnight.
Thanks guys any advice will be welcome.

disneymom15
01-16-2008, 06:36 PM
We stay there every chance we get. It's are favorite of all the values. As for wheel chairs, shouldn't be a problem. My mother and Mother in law both needed them. They were both able to walk short distances, so getting in the room wasn't a problem. However, I think POP has rooms to suit wheel chair access.

goofysbabe
01-17-2008, 09:03 AM
We have stayed here and my sister is in a wheelchair. When we called to make reservations they told us they could accomodate us. (My parents needed a room with 2 beds and a roll in shower). There would be my parents and my adult sister (in a wheelchair) in a room and me and my 2 children in a connecting room. After arriving we were told that the rooms for handicap only had 1 bed. So they had to bring a roll away for my sister. With the roll away and her wheelchair in the room they had to move the chairs from the table and some of their things into my room just so they could get around. My mother made a complaint to the manager and he sent someone from higher ups to check out the situation, and although he agreed there was a problem, nothing was done. We were told to write a letter when we return home. Although I love staying at POP I would NOT recommend it to you with a handicapped child.

A side note: I still dearly love Disney and just chalked it up to a learning experience.

JerseyDad
01-21-2008, 05:25 PM
.....although I'm not particularly familiar with the layouts of the ADA accessible rooms, from my numerous stays at POP, I can pretty much assure you that the resort grounds are fully compliant with the requirements for handicapped access (no hills greater than 8%) I think it's a great resort for kids and adults alike....and I totally agree with you regarding the $avings you'll experience by staying at a "value resort".

....BTW...I hate the term "value resort"!! It make the place sound cheap or sub-standard...which it is NOT by a long stretch!!

ltam16
02-01-2008, 11:38 AM
We did not need an accessible room, but my fil used a wheelchair at pop. The buses were fabulous and the cm's were great about it. He doesn't normally use a wheelchair so he was a little uncomfortable at first, but the bus drivers made him feel so at ease. We also requested rooms close to bus/food court. We had the building in the 50's closest. They provided great access. It was still a bit of walking, but we used the wheelchair and it was fine. The food court can get a little tight, but if you go a little early for meals, it is not bad.

From a kids point of view...my kids 6 &8 loved the big icons and they loved the lobby with all the stuff from the "olden days" as my son put it...yes from the '70's! We looked at other hotels when we went to meals like Poly and GF & Contemp. and my kids said they liked Pop better because of all the cool statues outside. They also loved both the bowling pin pool and the flower pool. DH and I were glad to hear that because it is a great value compared to others! We were able to go 3 times in 3 years and we never would have done that with a mod or deluxe!