PDA

View Full Version : Snow!!

TinkiTime1989
01-16-2008, 04:32 PM
It's snowing here in Georgia!! Woohoo!! We never get snow here. Now picture 5 college girls running around the apartment complex parking lot screaming SNOW SNOW SNOW and taking silly pictures....Yeah, small college town full of kids who never see snow, it doesn't take much to get us excited. It's not sticking but we're going to have fun while we can! :dance::snowball:

Not2Loud
01-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Yup, its snowing up here in Marietta, GA as well. Not something we see too much of!

mook3y
01-16-2008, 05:47 PM
sending you all of our snow ASAP!

Enjoy!!! :D

rofl

murphy1
01-16-2008, 05:48 PM
We got some here too, my kids are waiting to see if there is school tomorrow. I haven't gotten used to the cold here still after ten years.

TinkiTime1989
01-16-2008, 05:55 PM
sending you all of our snow ASAP!

Enjoy!!! :D

rofl

Most people down here probably wouldn't agree with my friends and I, but we would happily take it!!

RoosMomKanga
01-16-2008, 06:42 PM
:snowball:That's so funny...my DH is in Atlanta all week on business and was hoping he'd see a little warm weather (snow covered here)...I'm guessing he's glad he took that coat!:freeze:

RoosMomKanga
01-17-2008, 09:05 AM
I got The Call..."Hey Honey, I'm stuck at an Atlanta Airport hotel for the night. They put us on the plane, then took us off again-dag! They wouldn't give me back my bag and I'm looking to buy some contact solution/case before my eyes fall out!" (not the packer/planner in the family) "I'm guessing they don't have deicing supplies down here." I'm still waiting to hear if he got out this morning...I'm glad you're enjoying the snow 'cause I know one person who isn't!:D

TinkiTime1989
01-17-2008, 09:56 AM
I got The Call..."Hey Honey, I'm stuck at an Atlanta Airport hotel for the night. They put us on the plane, then took us off again-dag! They wouldn't give me back my bag and I'm looking to buy some contact solution/case before my eyes fall out!" (not the packer/planner in the family) "I'm guessing they don't have deicing supplies down here." I'm still waiting to hear if he got out this morning...I'm glad you're enjoying the snow 'cause I know one person who isn't!:D

Haha. That sounds like the typical unprepared ATL airport. Sorry your husband got stuck though! Unfortunately all of our snow turned to rain last night and we still have classes today. :(

JanetMegan
01-17-2008, 10:13 AM
We still have a couple inches on the ground up here and the kids are out of school, just a matter of 40 miles or so and some too quick thinking last night on the part of our local officials. They would have been fine to go today...

Figgyluv03
01-17-2008, 12:42 PM
It amazes me that the southern states can not fuction when theres the slightest bit of snow on the ground! And they close school for a couple of inches?! Looks like we need to send some PENDOT & NJDOT to help clear your streets for you. These guys are pros!:thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
01-17-2008, 03:41 PM
It amazes me that the southern states can not fuction when theres the slightest bit of snow on the ground! And they close school for a couple of inches?! Looks like we need to send some PENDOT & NJDOT to help clear your streets for you. These guys are pros!:thumbsup:

I guess they figure we only get snow 1 or 2 times are year if we are lucky why buy the stuff to take care off it. Here in York, SC (about 40 mins from charlotte) they had a 2 hour delay for schools and we had to work. I wish we could get some more. I want to play in it. lol

TBY2225
01-17-2008, 04:04 PM
I also live in SC and because we so rarely get bad weather we don't have the budget in our DOT for the machinery that keeps your streets and roadways in your states so clear and safe! Also, when you don't see snow but every few years, people forget how to drive in it or they are so excited that they don't pay attention. Another big problem is power outages and usually the reason for schools to close. We rarely ever get any snow without a lot of ice as well. In 2005 I was without power for 7 days!

DisneyDog
01-17-2008, 04:13 PM
PENDOT? Pros? Um, remember the Valentine's Day fiasco? People were stuck on the highway overnight.

It's snowing here in the Philly area. Coming down at a good clip too. I'm in the infamous "northern and western suburbs." We have about 1/4 inch out there and it's been snowing for about 2 hours. It's not supposed to last, though. Supposed to turn to rain tonight and then be 46 degrees tomorrow. But, might snow again on Saturday. My brother is getting married Saturday night. I hope the forecast is wrong!!

PirateLover
01-17-2008, 04:21 PM
PENDOT? Pros? Um, remember the Valentine's Day fiasco? People were stuck on the highway overnight.
Boy, tell me about it! Last year after one of the ice storms, my car was totalled in an accident in which a car skidded on ice and crashed into my car a WEEK after the initial storm! Why wasn't that street de-salted?

It's snowing here in the Philly area. Coming down at a good clip too. I'm in the infamous "northern and western suburbs." We have about 1/4 inch out there and it's been snowing for about 2 hours. It's not supposed to last, though. Supposed to turn to rain tonight and then be 46 degrees tomorrow.

It's so gross in the metro area. We had rain, flurries/rain, and now it switched over to full snow but the ground is soaked and it's not sticking, just making a wet mess. :rain::snowball:

oh and :pixie: for your brother's wedding. I also hope it doesn't snow because my grandfather goes to visit his sister on the weekends and he can't leave the house if the weather is slippery because he can't walk too well. He gets very depressed if he can't visit her. :(

DisneyDog
01-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Maryanne, I remember the incident with your car. How awful!

You should come out to the suburbs. It's amazing what a difference a 1/2 hour drive can make. It really is beautiful out there. I have a view of the woods from my desk, and it's all white. Luckily, I don't have to drive too far after work (and I think I'll be leaving early).

PirateLover
01-17-2008, 05:12 PM
You should come out to the suburbs. It's amazing what a difference a 1/2 hour drive can make. It really is beautiful out there. I have a view of the woods from my desk, and it's all white.
:) I love when it snows at night and sticks and you wake up to a beautiful white blanket and everything is quiet... I'd love to see a suburban snow in person. Well, one day I will as I don't plan on living in the city after I get married...

And to Erin, the OP... we are friends on Facebook because of the Intercot group and your pics appeared on my feed. Looks like you and your friends had a blast. :thumbsup:

drummerboy
01-17-2008, 05:32 PM

Would that be Valentine's day a couple of years ago when I went to NJ to visit my father for two days and got stuck there for about a week? The one where the Del. and MD governors said "don't dare drive through our states"? The one where I had to shovel a path up my father's driveway so I could get my diesel truck out on the road? Yeah, I think I remember that one. Was somebody saying something about the South not being able to clear their roads? :thedolls:

TinkiTime1989
01-17-2008, 05:53 PM
:) I love when it snows at night and sticks and you wake up to a beautiful white blanket and everything is quiet... I'd love to see a suburban snow in person. Well, one day I will as I don't plan on living in the city after I get married...

And to Erin, the OP... we are friends on Facebook because of the Intercot group and your pics appeared on my feed. Looks like you and your friends had a blast. :thumbsup:

We did have quite a bit of fun. We also got some strange looks from a few of the guys in our building lol. I just wish for once we could get a good snow down here to just cover everything so we could really play in it!

DisneyDog
01-18-2008, 11:30 AM
I think we ended up maybe gettin an inch of snow last night. The rain was supposed to wash it all away, but the snow is still there.

It was a bit dicey driving home last night. They had not plowed some of the roads. The driveway to get out from where I work to the main road was really slick. My street was not easy to drive on, and I fishtailed it into my driveway. Not as bad as my co-worker -- she almost drove over a cliff! She was going to bail out, but her dog was in the backseat, so she ended up pulling up her emergency break. The car stopped in a ditch, just in time!

When we got home last night, my DS5 was sooo excited. He jumped out of the car and started making snow angels in the driveway! Then he threw about 10 snowballs at me. It was too cute. Too bad it was dark outside, or we could have played a bit more.

MsMin
01-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Awww I want snow. :( It's been cold here for a couple of days-- makes me want snow. We had the hardest freeze here we've had in a long time b/c my banana trees melted for the first time since I've moved here in 04.
If we had snow plows it would probably take longer to get them operational again after sitting up for 5 or more years and the snow would melt. We had a nice dusting in 01 - it actually stopped traffic and snow for Christmas in 04 but was mostly a little white on the rooftops here. I would love to see a really good snow at least an inch.... Please send snow.....
Oh and our roads... we pass these signs day in and out summer and winter saying bridge may ice in cold weather. They sit there so long everyone soon forgets that they are there for a reason.

Figgyluv03
01-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Oh, yes, I do remember that Valentine's day now! Sorry. I take back what I said, but I don't have any complaints about Jersey. In my area the roads are always pretty clear.

tinkerbell04
01-18-2008, 12:32 PM
We ended up with about 3-4 inches yesterday before it turned to rain. My dd had a blast in it yesterday, especially with the early school closing!:mickey: Today it is forecasted tobe about 45 degress, so it probably won't last long!

Figgyluv03
01-18-2008, 01:07 PM
We got about two to three inches yesterday and by the time I woke up this morning the rain had all washed it away. I was just glad to see some sunshine this morning.

TinkiTime1989
01-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Well I came home for the long weekend yesterday and temps were in the 40s. Fast forward to this morning and it is snowing like crazy!! They're saying we're going to end up with 1-3+ inches and temps will be in the teens tonight!! Everything here is covered in a layer of white. I love it!:cloud9: