PDA

View Full Version : Parking at the Parks...worth it to skip bus in evenings?

KatGat
01-16-2008, 09:40 AM
We usually take the buses everywhere, but I hate waiting for mutliple bus loads to board, only to have to stand with a toddler and his stroller. It's worse at the end of the day of course. I wondered if it'd be worth it to just drive, especially on MK day. What does it cost? Are there any discounts?

January-2007
01-16-2008, 09:58 AM
We love driving to the parks. Depending on how far your car is parked from the entrance, you may need to take a tram to get to your car, and still wait a little, but it's never too bad. When you stay at a Disney resort onsite you get free parking for the duration of your trip. They give you a parking pass to put on your dashboard and you're good to go.

laprana
01-16-2008, 10:20 AM
:ditto: If you're staying onsite, parking at all the parks is free! We drove most of the time on our last trip and it was perfectly easy! The only plus side to the buses is that they drop you off at the front of the park, and when you drive you either have to walk a little ways or take a tram. But even that wasn't a big deal because we never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes for a tram to come around. :thumbsup:

DDuck66
01-16-2008, 10:30 AM
We have driven to the parks the last few times and never had a problem. If you get there late, you will have to park pretty far back, but the tram service has always been quick and we never waited longer than 10 minutes. I do not like to drive all the time, but it has worked fine lately.
If you are not staying on the resort, parking is $11.00 unless you have an AP.

Quasimodo
01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
We also drive to most of the parks when we stay on property. The only park I prefer to take the bus to is MK. This is because it takes so long to get from your car to MK. However, this is only when we stay at a moderate or deluxe resort. I still drive to MK when staying at a value resort due to the long line for the bus. Both at the resort and at MK at closing.

BouncingTigger
01-16-2008, 11:33 AM
During my trip last week (my first to WDW) we used the buses to and from the parks and Downtown Disney. We stayed at ASMo. Next time I will seriously consider renting a car. The buses in the morning (about 8 a.m.) weren't that bad but we often had to stand - and the bus rides can be really long! However, when we left the parks at night, we usually had to wait for two or three shuttles and still usually ended up standing! At the end of a day spent walking around SO much, it stinks to have to stand on a long bus ride - it made my grumpy bf even grumpier!

When we left the parks early, before park closing, we always got on the first bus, although during these non-peak times, the buses don't come as often so the wait can be long.

I think it would be an advantage to use a car, especially since you have a little one and a stroller. I hated seeing the little ones having to stand on the bus - they often were nearly falling over during stops, starts, or turns! I saw so many parents trying to hold a stroller and hold onto their child - it did not look easy!

I would especially emphasize getting a car if you are at WDW during the summer or holidays. The buses were already pretty crowded during the off season - I can't imagine what it would be like with so many more people at WDW!

JPL
01-16-2008, 11:38 AM
The bus for the MK is almost a must considering before you get tou your car you have to wait for a monorail or Ferry then a Tram before you even reach your car and fight any traffic leaving. I actually did an experiment at the end of the night one time I took the bus and a friend drove back to the resort and he actually arrived after me.

4ubie1
01-16-2008, 11:53 AM
I have been wrestling with this question myself. Rent a car or take Disney's transportation. They both have pros and cons. Taking Disney transportation lets you not have to worry about traffic and it is free thus saving you some cash. But the last time I went, we used the bus system and it was terrible. Long waits at the resort and at the park (even during light crowd season) and the people on there..not the cheery crowd one hopes for while in WDW :blush: And when a group showed up with a wheel chair or such...:mad: I am seriously considering renting a car. That way I can come and go when I please and not have to deal with intolerant, rude people...just lousy drivers ;)

tennantsrwe
01-16-2008, 12:23 PM
We, too, really like driving to the parks instead of taking the Disney Buses. We have a younger child with a stroller so logisticly it's much more convenient for us to use our own vehicle. We tried once lugging it, and all our wares, on to the bus and it was a nightmare. Also, it's nice to be able to leave the park in a pretty reasonable amount of time, especially at the end of a long day. We don't like having to stand in line, for sometimes long periods of time, waiting and waiting. I'd consider a car....I think you'll be happier in the end.

KatGat
01-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Wow. I was actually expecting to see more people advising to take advantage of the free transportation. We'll be at ASMu Mardi Gras week so I'm sure the bus situation will be worse than we've seen. We usually go the week before Thanksgiving and stay at POR. Since we're having trouble getting flights, we'll probably be driving this year, so we'll have the car anyway. We had already decided that on exceptionally tiring/frustrating evenings, we'd consider taking a taxi back to the resort (if it's not too expensive). Thanks!

teambricker04
01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I really like taking the buses. No worries about cars and getting to the car, etc. BUT, we have two small kids and find that it is a 100 times easier to get a car than take the bus. Why? Because the buses can get full and no one, and I mean NO ONE gives a seat up to a mom with a baby. I actually had to sit on the floor once with my #1 when he was younger than a year. I don't find that safe AT ALL. Could I have waited for another bus? Probably but after waiting for almost 45 minutes I had had enough. Plus, now with a double stroller it is almost impossible to get it folded up small enough to fit on the bus.

We got a car this last time and it was GREAT. We stayed at FW so we didn't have to worry about taking the campground bus to get to the park buses. At MK there is a small parking lot right at the transportation center that has handicapped parking and taxi pick up. There is a loading and unloading area so we just waited for my DH to get the car and bring it around. He walked out to the car which was faster than taking the tram.

After seeing the long bus lines at the end of the night at MGM I am glad we took a car. People were really unruly.

Taja
01-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Keep in mind that you still will need to collapse the stroller if riding a tram to the parking lot. My friends complained about this our entire visit in December.

I think it would be easier to drive, park and use the tram with a little one and stroller than to wait for a bus--particularly if you end up standing! I always for a seat, so my wait can be a bit longer than others. Longest wait has been about 20 minutes at park closing. It just seems longer because so many people are in the queue!

thrillme
01-16-2008, 02:47 PM
If you HAVE a car and you're staying at one of the resorts...the parking is FREE...

I would not even REMOTELY consider Disney's Shuttles if I had my own car. NORMALLY I rent a car and I used the devil out of it. I did the bus thing and I really have no patience for it. HOWEVER...we're planning a trip in October much shorter than we usually go and it will be a DISNEY ONLY trip. I'm probably going to "grin and bear it" that ONE time.

dteed
01-16-2008, 03:16 PM
It is better than waiting for multiple busses. We use our car if we feel like it and sometimes just use the busses. If the line for busses seems too large we just grab a taxi, yea it costs a little bit but you are on vacation.

Disney Doll
01-16-2008, 04:15 PM
We usually go in Feb when crowds are lighter so our experience may not be the same as some others, but..
We really like taking the buses. It can be crowded on MK nights, but instead of racing to the buses like everyone else linger in the parks and do some shopping on Main Street on your way out. I would actually recommend the same to someone taking a car because traffic can be horrible. I personally hate driving in traffic especially when I'm on unfamiliar roads. It's a stress I don't need on vacation. BTW, every time I have ever been on a bus with a small child someone has always offered their seat to me. Maybe all the nice people go in Feb?

wedway76
01-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Because we fly to WDW and use Magical Express we always use busses. However, if I had a car available to me the only time I would definitely drive to a park is if I am going to MGM and staying for Fantasmic. By far, the worst experience we’ve ever had with WDW Transportation was waiting for a bus after Fantasmic. The line was unbelievable. I would say 7 to 10 busses to our resort filled up and left before we were able to get on one. After a long day in the park, and that long wait to exit Fantasmic, that bus wait was just icing on the cake, VERY frustrating!

As others have said I wouldn’t drive to the MK, because you still have to wait for a monorail or ferry to take you to the parking lot. At park closing time you could probably get on your resort bus in the same or less time than it would take you to get on the monorail.

MNNHFLTX
01-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Yes, it is worth taking the car, unless you are visiting the Magic Kingdom that day, IMO. And even then, if you are leaving the park right at closing, you are probably better off driving than waiting in a long line for the buses or boats to the resorts.

micurealsoon
01-17-2008, 01:31 AM
I had the exact same question as the OP. We usually fly to WDW and exclusively use Disney transportation. For our next trip we will be driving our own van and I am considering driving to the parks. On recent trips the buses have been packed at park closing. Usually my wife is carrying one sleeping child and a stroller and I am carrying our other two daughters. In every case my wife has been offered a seat while she is holding our youngest but it is hit or miss if I get offered a seat while holding a sleeping child. I am OK with that but the ride back to the resort usually adds more work to an already long day. Can anyone describe how bad traffic is getting out of the parking lots at park closing? Do fifty lanes merge into one exit or is it more organized than that?

kakn7294
01-17-2008, 02:18 AM
Even when we have our own car, we take the Disney buses. It not only saves on our gas, it saves on the hassle of finding our way around property (although that's not so much of a problem anymore). I'd rather ride their buses anyday than have to drive myself around.

SurferStitch
01-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Even when we have our own car, we take the Disney buses. It not only saves on our gas, it saves on the hassle of finding our way around property (although that's not so much of a problem anymore). I'd rather ride their buses anyday than have to drive myself around.

:ditto:

We took our car once back in March of '05, parked it at the resort, and didn't start it up until we drove home. I love the convenience of the bus system.

MNNHFLTX
01-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Can anyone describe how bad traffic is getting out of the parking lots at park closing? Do fifty lanes merge into one exit or is it more organized than that?We have never found it bad at all. Yes a steady stream of cars leaving the parking lots, but they keep things moving. Having lived in Florida, I think a lot of people that drive (locals, anyway) do not stay until closing, so that helps to cut down on the traffic.

robemcdo
01-17-2008, 10:23 AM
We have stayed the last few times at BWV. It takes the bus out of the equation, as it is very short walk to Epcot, and a fairly short walk(10 minutes) to MGM. Downside is that we share MK and AK buses with Swan and Dolphin and DD with Sw,DO +YC and BC. However, we are first to be picked up, guaranteeing us a seat, and we first to be dropped off...Key at the end of a long day.

Lynn J Mc
01-17-2008, 11:53 AM
We have never driven to the parks and we always have our car with us. We always use the buses and monorail. We always stay at a Deluxe resort maybe that makes a difference but we never wait long. And trust me, my entire family has given up seats to women with babies and older adults.

emmingo
01-17-2008, 10:56 PM
For the most part, we've always used the buses, even though on at least two occasions, we've had a car to park in the resort lot, on property. The only time I wish we would have used the car was staying at the ASMu...the buses were insanely crowded on the way home from ALL of the parks, and although that wasn't too bad from Epcot and MGM, it was terrible coming back from MK, and coming and going to DTD (a 25 min drive).

Plus the parking is free! You really can't go wrong.:thumbsup:

pixiesmimi
01-18-2008, 09:16 PM
We've done both. I have never found the drive out of the parking lot bad even at closing. The traffic keeps moving and at that time of night, there aren't a lot of cars left there anyway. The longest part is waiting for the tram. But there is the problem of getting your stoller and bags, etc. all on there, especially when rude people jump lines and try to get in your row in the middle of your family making some of you have to wait for the next tram. We enjoy parking our car at the resort and not getting it out again until we go home but the last trip the buses were very overloaded forcing us to have to stand up both coming and going and my arms don't always reach the wrist straps on the bars. Some rides have been very long, especially at night on the return trip. But all in all, we like not having to fool with parking, etc. It is about 50/50 to us. The only time it was really bad was when we stayed at ASMovies and it was a really long ride anywhere. But I don't like having to try to find my way around all the roads in that area. Glad to have someone else do the driving. So, I would say it is about even for us. Don't like the long lines at the buses and sometimes having to walk to Timbuktoo to the bus stop, but we don't have to think with our tired brains about driving either. I wish the monorail went to all of the resorts. That is my favorite mode of transportation.

pwdebbie
01-20-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't have a wealth of experience having only been there once, but I'll put in my two cents.

We had our car and never used it the entire ten days. Disney transportation was great. So many busses are running at the end of the day that you won't have a very long wait. We even passed up busses when we realized we would need to stand (dh has balance issues due to health problems -- gets lots of glares from people who don't understand why he doesn't give up his seat to women -- and I'm just too darn short to reach the overhead straps or bars) and waited for the next bus so we could sit. The wait was always very short.

I do wish that once all the seats are taken the bus would leave instead of packing everyone on like sardines.

Deb
POFQ, Oct. 2007

NJ Camper
01-20-2008, 07:54 PM
we have never drove to the parks buses usually seem to work fine for us the only time we use are car is to drive to bass pro shops, various food places or if we go to other outside attractions why burn the gas if you don't need to

vamaggie
01-20-2008, 08:07 PM
We have had a car the last 3 times we have gone and found it much easier with a little one (or ones). Even if you have to wait to get out of the parking lot (something we really did not encounter), everyone is seated and secure and quiet (helpful if you have a light sleeper who gets woken up easily and then doesn't fall back asleep!) If it was just DH & me, we might use the buses (even though DH likes the control of driving himself) but with kids it's a no brainer for us--car all the way.

WDWCrazyKaren
01-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Here's a perspective from someone who, for the very first time 2 weeks ago, did not rent a car. I have ALWAYS rented a car, and vowed in my lifetime, to always continue to do so. But, we didn't on this last trip. Bus service was great, except for the post-fireworks nighttime spectaculars. Trying to get a bus was a 2 hour proposition. SO, we bussed everywhere, except for those post evening show times. We took a cab. It was amazing! 12 bucks from just about any park, and it literally took less than 20 minutes from end of show to walking into our room. Cabs are an awesome, welcome, and not terribly expensive relief in those instances. And still cheaper than renting a car!

Karen

ncscgirl2005
01-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Because the buses can get full and no one, and I mean NO ONE gives a seat up to a mom with a baby. I actually had to sit on the floor once with my #1 when he was younger than a year. I don't find that safe AT ALL. Could I have waited for another bus? Probably but after waiting for almost 45 minutes I had had enough.

:mad::mad::mad: Tell me about it!!! This bothered me soooo much during our trip. I don't have very young kids like you do but mind you I gladly gave up my seat to anybody with a baby or an elderly person no matter what time of the day or night. It's called courtesy.

mrsgaribaldi
01-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Can anyone describe how bad traffic is getting out of the parking lots at park closing? Do fifty lanes merge into one exit or is it more organized than that?

It's unbelievable how fast you get out of the parking lot. We joke that we don't even see the other cars. It once took us an hour just to get out of the parking lot at Great Adventure. We got out and then had to stop for a bathroom break:(
In Disney we never had any problem and we always drive:thumbsup:

DakotaDisney
01-22-2008, 06:47 PM
- If I had little kids I can see using my car.
- If I had to rent a car. I don't think it is worth it just to take to the parks.

I can see using a car if I had kids along because most kids don't understand or have the patience and the days get long. Otherwise if you are older than 18 I would say use the buses, they don't cost extra and besides, I know some days at the parks can be long and hot and there can be lots of people. But come on. That's a part of going to places like WDW and other parks and popular places with lots of people. You have to wait in lines, or for trams, buses, whatever, or you have to deal with traffic and with people. I say just make the best of it and don't let it get you down. If a person can't deal with those sorts of things, then going to an amusement park or a place with lots of people isn't for you. Go to a national or state park instead and enjoy the quiet beautiful outdoors.

pixiesmimi
01-23-2008, 09:37 AM
My DH is very impatient when it comes to something like this and I would expect him to say take the car every time, especially after waiting in line for a crowded bus. But, to my amazement, he has always suggested the bus and has never said anything about having to wait or it being crowded. I think he understands this beats driving to the parks and waiting for a tram. We have done both and he doesn't seem to mind either one but when we stay in a resort, he automatically suggests the bus. Of course, if we stayed at one where the bus stop was a long way away from our room, that would probably change.

Meteora
01-23-2008, 10:46 AM
We always use our car, and we have had very few traffic problems, even in the Christmas season. The one thing that can get annoying is that sometimes if you go to a park late in the day (we've found it happens most in the AK), the parking attendants will seem to have disappeared and you have to sort of just pick your own spot. However, that can also be a good thing, since you can often choose a nice, close one. When entering the parks, follow the arrows, signs, and attendants, not necessarily the cars in front of you. Some people aren't great at following directions, and we've seen many a car go off in the wrong direction despite clear arrows. Of course, the worst that can happen then is that you go in a circle for awhile. If you don't have a great memory use your cell phone (assuming you have one) to take a picture of the lot and row where you are parked, or send a text with that info. to someone else who is with you.

Tram waits are usually pretty short, and the tram itself can be fun for little ones--almost like another ride when leaving the park. The trams do get windy, so bring a sweater or jacket if its at all chilly out.

We took the buses a few times on our last trip and weren't thrilled--we waited almost 25 minutes at DTD for a bus, and it was pretty hot and sunny outside. At closing at MGM we wanted to head to Epcot and the bus was so jam-packed that people wouldn't have been able to offer a seat to a mother with a baby--first because no one could see anyone except the people standing right next to them, and second because no one could move an inch. We're quite happy with our car, where there is always a seat for everyone.

DonLefNY
01-23-2008, 07:25 PM
MK is the only park I take the bus to.

Charlenne
01-24-2008, 07:28 AM
We have done both on several occasions, I've come to the conclusion that it's much much easier just to drive to the parks. Waiting for a bus in the morning is not bad at all but towards park closing it's awful. The only park I use a bus for is Magic Kingdom, but since we are staying at Shades of Green this year we will just be walking over to the Poly and taking the monorail so we won't have to use a bus for that either.

I have never had a problem driving out of the parks at closing, one thing (among thousands of other things) that disney did really well would have to be the design of the roads, it never seems like there's really heavy traffic b/c of the setup.

katzctkpt
01-24-2008, 09:31 AM
DH insists once the car is parked there's no going back to it until the day we leave. Ok with me I usually drive.

JPooh
01-24-2008, 03:11 PM
I gotta tell you. My Family went in October and we didn't rent a car. I thought that it was much easier to walk to bus area a MK and get on the bus to your resort with two very tired little girls as oppose to fighting to get to the TTC and then waiting for the tram to the parking lot. I could swear the time it takes to get through those to points we were back at our resort.

The only thing I don't like with the busses is that you can get to anywhere from the parks except the resorts. I would be great if you go to Downtown Disney from the transportation Center.

skadar2
01-24-2008, 04:30 PM
When my wife and I have visited in the past (no kids) we have rented a car based on the general community consensus of websites like Intercot. While I enjoy Disney transportation, and consider it to be a part of the magic, we simply can't beat the convenience of a car. And I can only think it would be even more convenient when visiting with children... as we will discover this fall.

The general rule is: Bus to the MK, drive everywhere else.