PDA

View Full Version : I forgot to prepare me....

Lizzy
01-16-2008, 08:02 AM
My little man, now 9 years old, riding his bike for the first time to school all by himself. It is about a mile to his school, down a somewhat busy road (with a sidewalk thankfully).

I prepared him all weekened for it. I got him his bike lock, road the path ro school with him, got him a new helmet and everything. I walked him down to the end of the driveway and sent him on his way.

But the minute he turned the corner I turned into some worry wart. I did manage to fight back the urge to jump in the car and follow him to school but I didn't realize how big this was until he was on his way!

It's so hard to let them grow up :blush:

offwego
01-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Oh that is so tough..but such an important step. Good for you in letting him go.

kakn7294
01-16-2008, 08:47 AM
I don't know that I would have been able to resist that urge! Good for you for letting him go.

disneymom15
01-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Wait until he gets his drivers license and takes the car for the first time. I was a nervous wreck. I still worry and my daughters been driving for 2 years.

ncscgirl2005
01-16-2008, 09:27 AM
OMG, you did good. I don't think I could have fought the urge. :thumbsup:

jodijo
01-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Good for you! My son is 12 and I just started letting him ride his bike to school. We live in the country and he has to ride directly in the road (No bike lanes). It was hard but he was fine. He felt so proud of himself. I am sure you will see an extra boost in your sons self esteem when he gets home!

SBETigg
01-16-2008, 09:48 AM
It's so tough to let go. Good work! Now you just have to hold on until he gets home to hear about how it went. Hang in there. :)

pink
01-16-2008, 07:53 PM
It's hard to let go but good that you're starting to give him his independence. However, I would have followed him and too much of a worry-wart. :mickey:

Piglet822
01-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Lizzy, I know how you feel. Anthony doesn't ride his bike to school but the first day of kindergarten I wanted to board the bus with him, lol.
I never understood the phrase "they grow up so fast" until I myself became a parent.
Here's some extra :hug: for you.