PDA

View Full Version : Skin Tags

disneydrmr
01-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Has anyone had them removed? I have a few on my neck that I want removed and when I called they said they snip them off... anyone know if this will hurt?

mjm
01-15-2008, 03:33 PM
I've had a few removed. But my doctor used some kind of electric burn tool. He used a local anesthetic to do it. It didn't hurt after the the anesthetic wore off.

Just check to see if the doctor uses an anesthetic or see if you can request one.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
01-15-2008, 04:02 PM
They dont' hurt, unless you have larger ones. then they do hurt a bit.
Also, check with your insurance, sometimes it is considered "cosmetic" and not covered.

Mine is covered because I have had melanoma and I have everything that grows on me removed now :blush:

CleveSJM
01-15-2008, 04:07 PM
I've had a couple removed and agree with the size-to-pain comment. The bigger ones seemed to hurt a little more but not bad at all. Just sore if rubbed after for a day or so.

I had a couple snipped and that seemed best. Doc shot a little lidocaine into the skin, numbed it up and snipped it off. Put on a little clotting compound, antibiotic and a band-aid. Couple days later, a little scab...

No worries. Best wishes. :thumbsup:

jillluvsdisney
01-15-2008, 04:21 PM
I had several removed last year from my neck. They used a very tiny needle to numb it and then then just snipped them off. NO problem. I have to be the un bravest person you'd ever meet and I was fine.

My father has had several moles removed. If they are flat, then there is some temporary pain involved removing them. Perhaps this is what people are talking about. If moles are bumpy, they are much easier to remove. Again, a very small shot of lidocaine to numb the area and I never felt a thing.

I had both procedures done in the same visit. The Dr's office a should also bill them as cancer prevention or biopsy so that insurance covers it.

MMouse6937
01-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Depending on how big they are and where they are they shouldn't hurt too much. I actually had DH take one off the inside of my leg when we were at WDW. It was rubbing on everything and driving me crazy so he just snipped it with some cuticle scissors. NOT that I would recommend that but just saying it didn't hurt or bleed much and was fine by the next day. Also, as other posters have said be aware of your insurance policy because they are sometimes not covered. Take care!

thrillme
01-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Depending on their size. A skin tag is a floppy little piece of skin as compared to a mole which is usually flat and fully bound on the skin.

My boyfriend had one of these and it was making him nutz. He really hated to bother going to the doctor with it so he just snipped it off with some clippers. It came off nicely...bled a little (no more than a little cut or scratch), then he just put a little antibiotic ointment on it and a ordinary boo-boo bandage. By the next day it was fine.

Some insurance won't cover them because they "could" be considered cosmetic but many doctors will take care of them anyway because they can be "irritating". If they're irritating then insurance may be more likely to cover them. The only thing to be "concerned" with is if you have a LOT of them or it's around the eye...if you have a bunch of them this could be a bad skin condition worth more investigation around the eye...it's an irritation that should be removed by your doctor.

IloveJack
01-16-2008, 07:31 AM
If you don't want to worry about if your insurance will pay, you can always go about removing a tag the old fashioned way. Using a piece of fine thread, just make a loop around it, and tie it off as tightly as possibly (without being uncomfortable). The piece of skin then proceeds to "die" and falls off, much like a scab. I've done this 3 times, and never had a problem with it. There's no blood, or worry of infection, and they usually fall off within a week. There's also no pain, no matter the size. If the tag is visible to the public, just snip the ends of the thread after making the knot. If the loop is tight enough, no one will even notice it.

Figgyluv03
01-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I had three removed under my arm a few months back. I must have nicked the larger of the three when shaving part of turned black (not to be gross), so I had to get them removed for medical reasons, so it was covered under my insurance. I have another one on my neck that I want removed because my seatbelt irritates it, so hopefully that will be covered too.

Did anyone who just had them snipped off have problems with them healing? Mine just seemed like they too forever!

Cinderelley
01-18-2008, 01:23 PM
My doctor usually freezes them, and then they fall off on their own.

Dixie Springs
01-22-2008, 08:31 PM
I tie mine to a doorknob and...

Just kidding - I've had a few removed and the dermatologist usually tells me a numbing shot would hurt more than the snip. I go along with the advice, but it does sting a bit when she clips them.

Dakota Rose
01-24-2008, 10:22 PM
My hubby has skin tags and read somewhere that hemmorhoid ointment can reduce their size and maybe even cause them to die and fall off on their own. He's been using the cream for about a week and they do seem to be shrinking. Kinda weird.....:confused: