PDA

View Full Version : disney haters, are they nutz?

wdwfan#1
01-15-2008, 06:49 AM
hey all, not sure if i'm posting in the right place, but i wanted your opinion. we were talking the other day at work and my boss said she would not take her kids to disney because she hated disney!! :thedolls: is this crazy? i understand that not everyone is a fanatic like most of us, but i don't get how anyone could hate it. how could you not love how you feel while you're at disney? it's sooo magical. i just don't get it!!! :confused: any other opinions on this? just curious...

pogo
01-15-2008, 07:17 AM
I've got family members who say they don't care to go to WDW, but what they really mean is.... we can't afford to go to WDW. People will make excuses for not wanting to go. :D

DizneyRox
01-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Some people don't get it...

But I also think that a lot of poeple have figured out the whole profit first concept happening at the world and really don't enjoy having Mickey's hand in their wallet 24/7.

Probably 50% of the people that I talk to about recent trips all mention that it's really changed down there. I have to agree...

And yes, there is probably a lot of jealousy towards those that go a lot.

Ian
01-15-2008, 08:14 AM
You know here's my take on this ... to each his own. If you don't like Disney that's fine, but don't take it out on your kids.

I mean look ... WDW is not necessarily the pinnacle of culture, but it is something that all kids should have a chance to experience. Getting your picture taken with Mickey is a rite of passage that parents shouldn't deny their kids just because they claim to "hate" Disney.

There are plenty of reasons to hate Disney these days ... the parks aren't what they used to be, they've been largely taken over by corporate-minded bean counters, and (as Disney Rox said) they really seem to have a serious penchant for sticking their hands in your pocket any chance they get.

But for kids ... they don't know any of this. They think it's the most magical place in the world and I don't blame them. Just take them, gut it out, and do something selfless for your children.

wdwfan#1
01-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Some people don't get it...

But I also think that a lot of poeple have figured out the whole profit first concept happening at the world and really don't enjoy having Mickey's hand in their wallet 24/7.

Probably 50% of the people that I talk to about recent trips all mention that it's really changed down there. I have to agree...

And yes, there is probably a lot of jealousy towards those that go a lot.

i completely agree about the whole buisness/profit/ marketing thing. and the it has definately changed in recent years. but, we have taken several different vacations and we can stay at disney for the longest amount of time for the least amount of money.
i also agree that even if you hate it, you should at least take your kids for the experience. i think some people (those who definately have the money) are selfish and only take their kids places they like. i mean come on, i don't really love playhouse disney, but we go everytime for the kids. when you have kids, you sometimes have to grin and bear it . just my opinion.

mickey&missy
01-15-2008, 08:59 AM
I have to agree with Ian. Going to Disney is a rite of passage. I know a lot of people can't afford it, but if you can you shouldn't deny your kids at least 1 trip.

When I was planning our last trip I took one of my Disney World books to a doctors office to read while I waited. When the doctor came in he noted the book and we had a very nice discussion about Disney World and how he enjoys taking his kids there at least once a year. We also talked about how its so much fun to have fun WITH your kids. Not just watch them or them sit by while you have fun. But, also mentioned to me that there was one thing that he didn't understand. How a mouse with such a big hand gets it in your wallet so quickly. He has a point. But, people need to remember that Disney is infact a corporation. A large corporation. Yes, I wish they would pay closer attention to the small details (I HATE to see dust on top of something and spiderwebs hanging, and I don't mean in HM) and the guests experience. But, at this point the bottom line is their bottom line is what matters most. I think at some point they'll have to explore the fact that if they pay to close attention to their $$ it's going to decrease. $$ playing too big of a part is going to take away from the magic.

I think that part of the reason for YOMD was to put some magic back that has been lost. Has it worked? I'm not sure. When we go to Disney World I go into it for the magic of the experience and the fun were going to have. I think most people here do. That's why it's still magic to us. If you go into it with a negative attitude your going to have a negative experience. You'll end up one of these people I've seen screaming at a poor CM.

I also think that we have the benefit of knowing how things work. If you don't know you need to make adr if you want to eat at specific places, don't understand EMHs, fastpass, etc I can see your trip being very frustrating.

Another thing that makes people hate Disney is too many people are too grownup or they try to be too grownup. Just like my siggie says, that's the real problem ith the world. If your too grownup you lose your ability to see and experience magic. You lose your imagination. You lose your wonder and want to learn and experience new things. To me, that's no way to live.

I know its hard for those of us who LOVE Disney to understand people who hate it and they don't understand us. But, they should keep in mind that everyone has their own opinion and own likes and dislikes. Too many times I've experience a person who doesn't like Disney shacking their head at me and trying to make me feel stupid for my love of Disney. To each his own.

It would take a lot for me not to change my mind about Disney, and I really mean a lot. I hope that never happens. Experiencing that magic is second to none.

biodtl
01-15-2008, 09:02 AM
As the mom of a princess-loving daughter, I have been coming across a lot of anti-princess stuff - mothers who think it teaches them to be dependent on men, wait for a prince, be helpless, etc. But it doesn't bother me one bit. I loved the same things as a child and I grew up a strong, independent woman. I also pretended to be a soldier, a monster, an astronaut, Barbie, a pirate, an airplane, Jerry Lewis and a dog, and I turned out to be none of those, either.

There a lot of things that are MUCH worse in every magazine, billboard and on TV.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-15-2008, 09:14 AM
:blush: I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone else, but I've had people tell me they don't go to Disney because they hate it and then admit they've never been before....well, I thought it was overrated before I went too....

Donald's Girl
01-15-2008, 09:17 AM
I must admit I'm amazed at the people posting about "bean counters" and Mickey's "hand in your pocket." Yes, Disney is a business--that has to make a profit--and answer to stockholders! I don't know about you but I know our personal expenses (e.g.gas, utility bills, grocery bills) are going up. Think maybe costs are going up at Disney too?!?

I was actually amazed at the DDP prior to the changes and, even now, think they must be counting on a percentage of the people using it at the higher end table service meals. Otherwise, it just doesn't work for them at all.

Disney is not cheap but I can only imagine what their daily operating cost must be. Just the fireworks shows alone--name me another place that have shows like that every day! (Ask a local municipality what their July 4th display costs; not even factoring in liability insurance costs to set them off.)

Hate to tell you but the day the "bean counters" don't see a profit, we won't have anymore WDW!:confused:

NJGIRL
01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Yes, I can understand people hating Disney. It's just not their thing and not everyone likes Theme Parks. It dosen't bother me that some people don't like it and I really can understand.
If you don't like rides or can't tolerate crowds or standing in line Disney isn't for you. Those experiences aren't magical for everyone.

I try to think of it this way. I hate skiing. I hate doing anything thing out in the cold weather. When I was younger we went skiing all of the time with my parents because we owned a ski house in upstate NY. Going all the time didn't make me like it more. Some people love skiing and being in the fresh air on a beautiful mountain. I just don't and that's why I can understand why Disney doesn't appeal to everyone :mickey:

Dragongirlx
01-15-2008, 10:37 AM
My Brother in law is like this and hates his kids getting Disney stuff, although he is much better than he used to be, however he refuses to even think of taking his kids to any of the disney parks.

So when the kids get a wee bit older my twin sister and I will be kidnapping them and taking them ourselves with the help of their grandpareent on both sides.

mook3y
01-15-2008, 10:42 AM
I could see how if someone's only trip to WDW was on the 4th of July, Christmas day (read: capacity crowds) how they might not be able to stand it.

I know I hate being at Disney on "those" days and never will go during that time period.

Off season for me thanks! :cloud9:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-15-2008, 10:43 AM
my mother hates disney... and i have the hardest time dealing with it. but she has hated it from the first time she went at like, 12 when my great-grandmother took her and my aunts... she read the entire time.

i really want her to to come with us, just once, because it isn't just me, it is me and my dd... n she gets to see all the characters and cinderella's castle and all. i want her to see how happy she is and how much fun she has whei don't understand how someone can hate it. it is so magical and happy. she laughs at me at how often me and dd go. kinda makes fun of me. i envy those families that have grandparents go along and everyone gets to experience all that together. but i can't make her enjoy it or want to go. i just wish i could...

Sinewiz
01-15-2008, 10:47 AM
I confess that the complaint that things are too expensive at Disney riles me a little as well. People want new and improved multi-million dollar exhibits at every turn, the best restaurants with world renowned chefs, firework shows everwhere and every night, luxury resorts with spotless conditions, but yet they will be the first to complain that there's a gift shop when they get off of an exhibit.
All things considered I'm surprised that a family of four can do a Disney vacation with what Disney has to offer as inexpensively as they they do.

alpro2
01-15-2008, 10:51 AM
I started to love WDW after my first trip with the kids (they were 7 and 5 at the time). Before that, I wasn't a Disney hater, but it didn't appeal to me as a place that I had to go to. But after that first trip with them, I saw how they loved it and I was transformed. I have been back to WDW practically every year with them (they are 15 and 13), and I still look forward to it.

Perhaps your boss' perception might change if she just gave it a chance.

RedheadWriter
01-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Well....I am happy this was posted! It offends me when people put Disney down, but to each his own. I am not a fan of laying on a beach all day for my vacation, soooooo :blush:
The last man I was involved with was a total NUT (which I unfortuntely did not see until towards the end). He was counter culture all the way and claimed that Disney was "The Anti Christ" (whatever that was supposed to mean!) He had never been, never took his now 21 year old son, and thought I should never go again because it's all , to paraphrase, "Manure to poison kid's minds" I kid you not...this 47 year old man told me this.....Turns out, I found out a whole heap of pretty 'manure-ish' stuff about him and dumped him! And promptly celebrated by calling my mother and planning a trip to Disney World for the next week! Ha ha to him.

Most of my friends are Disney fans. The others I know who are not have never traveled anywhere in this country or abroad. Maybe it is just a lack of interest in anythign different?

As far as Disney being a corporation and having hands in pockets...I guess we could say that about Blue Cross, Exxon, Wal Mart....At least when I go Disney I get to immerse myself in a happy place withere 98% of the other people who are there are happy, too. $70 barely fills my gas tank on my truck. But it gives me a heck of a time at Epcot for the day!:mickey:

Kidsmom
01-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Last year DD and I finally took our kids relucantly to WDW because we felt as "Good Parents" we needed to give it to them. (DDs 9,7 and DSs 6, 4) Neither of us had been since childhhood and back then there was only MK.

We DREADED the trip. We hate lines, getting nickeled and dimed with kid yucky trinkets, and the thought of nasty parents screaming at their children and/or unruly kids running amuck! We moaned to all of our friends about going for months before.

Well...they were shocked when we came home as DVC owners! We LOVED the place. We didn't see the crazy people I expected to see (well, a couple of times) It was so well done and relaxing I would never have expected that we would be back 9 months later!

I guess I would say people can change, although I still am not a Disney freak, but I did find it a magacial place!

Mackflava99
01-15-2008, 12:09 PM
. We also talked about how its so much fun to have fun WITH your kids. Not just watch them or them sit by while you have fun. .

First of all- the above referenced quote was a terrific post- Thanks for taking the time to do that. You make a ton of sense and it hits home-

I enjoy Disney trips for a few reasons:
1.) My kids love it-
2.) I am happy when my kids are happy
3.) we get to have fun as a family
4.) i enjoy it as much as they do- i am able to put aside the stress of work and focus on enjoying it.
5.) It signifies good- and we get too much "bad" on tv and news now a days.
6.) There are so many resorts its not always the same experience.

Yes i have noticed the change in costs, I have noticed the extensive merchendising and ways to get more $$- But then we have to justify the cost of the togetherness my family feels vs how it would have been i we had gone elsewhere. We go on cruises alot, i spend way more money and for some reason its not as much of a family gathering.

I know alot of people who Hate Disney, but they trully dont know it like i do. Or we do ( i am assuming all people on Intercot love it )
I also know that i have converted alot of people, helping them plan, giving them pointers, telling them what to expect- I am a pretty good embassador- I actually am helping a work colleague plan at the moment- He didnt know about ADR or magic hours, and would have gone down without reservations. Stuff like that makes it a better experience.
I usually find the haters to be people with no imagination, or who never went as kids.

RedheadWriter
01-15-2008, 12:35 PM
5.) It signifies good- and we get too much "bad" on tv and news now a days.
I usually find the haters to be people with no imagination, or who never went as kids.

You were right on with these two points!

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
01-15-2008, 12:41 PM
I confess that the complaint that things are too expensive at Disney riles me a little as well. People want new and improved multi-million dollar exhibits at every turn, the best restaurants with world renowned chefs, firework shows everwhere and every night, luxury resorts with spotless conditions, but yet they will be the first to complain that there's a gift shop when they get off of an exhibit.
All things considered I'm surprised that a family of four can do a Disney vacation with what Disney has to offer as inexpensively as they they do.

ITA! There is sooo much there for what you pay. Many trips I feel like I am getting a bargain. It would cost just as much for us to go to a beach somewhere in most cases.

There is also such a thing as a budget and self control. You can curb costs at WDW in a lot of ways and still have a great trip.

MomPoppins
01-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Actually, my husband recently told me that he doesn't really like Disney.

This was a huge bomb for me, especially since we are planning our first family trip to WDW the first week of May! After a little digging, though, I realized that he doesn't necessarily hate *Disney*, he just hates the way he's been forced to do Disney in the past. He grew up in South Carolina and his family went to WDW every summer. His memories of Disney are mostly of his mother screaming at them to do things just the way she wanted them done -- think world's worst commando! She never let the kids just enjoy themselves, so instead of being a relaxing time, Disney was a stressful time when they had to please their mom.

Of course, this has all kinds of added pressure on me now -- getting the right balance of special, planned activities while still getting in plenty of "just be" time. I also think it will be different for him this time, seeing Disney through our kids' eyes.

Great topic! Thanks for the post!

SpecJoe Magic
01-15-2008, 03:32 PM
I must admit I'm amazed at the people posting about "bean counters" and Mickey's "hand in your pocket." Yes, Disney is a business--that has to make a profit--and answer to stockholders! I don't know about you but I know our personal expenses (e.g.gas, utility bills, grocery bills) are going up. Think maybe costs are going up at Disney too?!?

I was actually amazed at the DDP prior to the changes and, even now, think they must be counting on a percentage of the people using it at the higher end table service meals. Otherwise, it just doesn't work for them at all.

Disney is not cheap but I can only imagine what their daily operating cost must be. Just the fireworks shows alone--name me another place that have shows like that every day! (Ask a local municipality what their July 4th display costs; not even factoring in liability insurance costs to set them off.)

Hate to tell you but the day the "bean counters" don't see a profit, we won't have anymore WDW!:confused:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

There is also such a thing as a budget and self control. You can curb costs at WDW in a lot of ways and still have a great trip.

I think part of the problem is that some people think that they must stay at a deluxe resort, buy numerous souvenirs, and eat at several expensive table-service and/or buffet restaurants every time that they visit in order to have fun. We've had a few trips where we used more expensive accommodations, ate at a few expensive table-service and/or buffet restaurants, and spent extra money on various other things. However, most of our trips have involved a stay at a value resort, eating at a counter-service restaurant for every meal, and limiting our extra spending. What we've discovered is that the much less expensive trips can be just as much fun.

princessimagineer
01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
let me answer this question not as a parent watching their child have fun in disney, but rather, a 17 year old high school senior surrounded by teenage angst.....
the reason my peers are not into it is because its "babyish" and we are just too mature to like that kinda stuff. if you ask me, being mature is knowing what you like, and not following what you think everyone else is doing.

i bring this up because most of the "i hate disney" arguments for me are with my peers, so i cant realy argue on the whole "mickeys hand in my pocket and then watching that hand hold my child's and skip away with it" thing.

but if you ask me:
-yes disney does appriciate a nice big pay check.... but lets not forget they are a corperation
-the money isnt exactly being illigally used. its going toward your experiences and making it better
-dont nock it till ya try it
-of course your not gunna like it if chrismas week is your first time there!
-disney's motto is all about being "happy" and if your against that, then something happend to you as a child that needs to be further looked into

so what if were the only freeks on the internet that obsess over disney. its healthy. those people who hate disney are probably going into there closet in the middle of the night obsessing over something 10x weirder, like some celebrity they will never be with, or chocolate because there on a diet.

linedropper
01-15-2008, 06:15 PM
I to was not to excited about Disney a year and a half ago when my wife scheduled it. I love the Outer Banks and would have rather went there and I was vocal about it. My wife really pushed this trip for the kids and I really did no prep and was no help! Basically was a fourth kid, went down in a bad mood cause I thought it was going to be the longest 10 days of my life.

Then we walked into Magic Kingdom and I was blown away! I could not get over the attention to detail and how nothing was done half butt! I have since become a fanatic! My family calls me Captain Disney now and I actually planned the whole trip we are taking to DW this friday!

Guess I am saying is that before anyone hates it they really need to spend some time here. My brother just went in december and had the same experience! His family is now planning there next trip for christmas 2008!

If you take the chance and go! I know you will go back!

Captain Disney:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
01-15-2008, 06:17 PM
so what if were the only freeks on the internet that obsess over disney. its healthy. those people who hate disney are probably going into there closet in the middle of the night obsessing over something 10x weirder, like some celebrity they will never be with, or chocolate because there on a diet.

I like your thinking Lisa!!!!:thumbsup:

Belle619
01-17-2008, 10:00 AM
I agree that people who have never gone to Disney are usually more anti-Disney because they haven't had the opportunity to experience all that it has to offer.

But, I also think that you have to have a certain mindset in order to appreciate Disney and all of the "haters" that I've met don't have that. Disney is filled with the ideals of fantasy, adventure, exploration, happiness, optimism in what the future holds, etc. One person I used to work with who hated Disney, honestly, didn't have any of those values!

She used to say that Disney would hire people to figure out how to brain wash workers and the public - choreographing their every word, move, thought. She even when on to equate it to working in a communist country - although, she had never worked for them, this was just what she had heard. She was a miserable person to be around at all times, which is sad, but I think she just didn't share the same values and ideals that Disney is built upon - but rather than admiting that she had to attack it.

Ian
01-17-2008, 05:49 PM
if you ask me, being mature is knowing what you like, and not following what you think everyone else is doing.Lisa, I don't know you, but from reading this statement I can tell you with virtual certainty that you are, in fact, quite mature.

That's an incredibly insightful observation from a 17 year old. I'm very impressed.

I hope my DD (who's now 5 1/2) is as intelligent and self-aware at your age.

Edited to add: Forgot to mention ... I know quite a few folks a decade or so older than you who still haven't learned that lesson!!

BouncingTigger
01-17-2008, 06:19 PM
As much as I love Disney, there are some valid critiques I've run into before from people that aren't too enthusiastic about Disney.

Most of the critiques deal with problems that are not unique to Disney, but are shared by many organizations and corporations.

For instance, it seems rather odd that Disney is all about happiness, especially for children, and yet sells products made in countries that often utilize sweatshop labor (which often is child labor). This problem is not unique to Disney, however.

Another thing that seems strange is that while AK is supposed to be about conservation and celebrating animals and the diversity of the animal kingdom, the park sells meat. This not only requires the death of animals, but exceedingly inhumane conditions on factory farms (a problem which extends to the ways milk and eggs are produced; also, factory farming is antithetical to the ideal of minimizing environmental harm that is also preached at Epcot). Again, this is not unique to Disney - I do not know of a zoo that does not sell animal products as food.

Finally, Disney as a whole has been criticized as having problems with race (although I've heard we're finally going to get a black Disney princess - about time!) and heterosexism (I do not know of a Disney movie that portrays any gay or lesbian characters/couples and especially gay and lesbian families. However, I do give Disney credit for continuing to extend domestic partnership benefits to their employees despite the bigoted protests that arose).

I do not think these criticisms are enough to warrant a hatred of Disney, especially since a lot of these problems are shared by society as a whole. However, I do think Disney needs to address these issues. My main point in bringing these things up was to point out that not all "Disney haters" are unimaginative pessimists that hate the world. No corporation, even Disney, is all good. Disney magic can still exist for people willing to overlook those problems and focus on the good about Disney.

jillluvsdisney
01-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Some people just have that inner child that comes alive when they get the WDW. My sister and myself are two of those people.:thumbsup:
To each his own I suppose. Look at how popular Las Vegas is. I work with several people who go multiple times a year. YUCK. It's just not for me. I don't care for gambling. Those same people wonder how I can go back to WDW year after year.

MegaDisney
01-17-2008, 07:18 PM

Hear hear!

NJ Camper
01-17-2008, 07:23 PM
I agree my inner child definetly comes out in disney i went for my first trip when i was 27 now we go every year at least one time i wish we where closer i would go alot more but nj is a little to far to go more than twice i say far because we drive and stay in the fort just wish it was closer:(

meldan98
01-19-2008, 12:58 AM
We've been to DL more that 20 times over the ears and have been to WDW now, 3 times. When I had my DD we were lucky enough that she was born on Walt's birthday. We thought this was really neat being huge Disney fans. When I came back from leave after having my DD, I found out that one of my co-workers also had a baby on the same day. I joked with her and her husband about the kids being born on Walt's birthday, and they were discusted. They called Walt a freak and said all kinds of mean things about how "weird" he was.

I was :-o shocked and couldn't believe that they said that.

I guess I just don't understand how some people could be so anti-Disney.

Hull-onian
01-19-2008, 06:13 PM
I think all of New England is a Disney Fan, no ands if or but's about it.:thumbsup:

NJ Camper
01-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Well there is a positive side to people hating disney yes there is a positive if everyone loved disney we couldn't ever get in it's busy now amagine if everyone loved it it would be booked up forever there would be even bigger lines and you would have to book it 2 or 3 years away see there is a positive side to some people hating disney :mickey:

Tink#64
01-19-2008, 10:47 PM
I agree with so many of you about alot of the people who say they don't like Disney are the ones who haven't tried it! I know several such people. A co-worker of mine is such a downer, she can't believe we return year after year, but they return to the same condo at the same beach every single year! She tells me she's so glad her kids never got into that stuff, she's so glad they never got into that cartoon stuff, blah, blah, blah. Her grandson loves Mickey but she says she' d never waste her vacation taking him to WDW! She says it's too expensive but she shops for her self every single weekend! But I realize she is one of the single most unhappy people I've ever known. Every one is different and has their own likes & dislikes, but why does it seem that so many people that aren't into Disney think that it's ok to bad mouth someone else's choices? Why try to take my joy from me? I don't say anything bad about their choices! I truly do believe that you must be open to the joy and the magic to be able to appreciate the wonder of it all. I never went to WDW as a kids, we took lots of great trips, but never there. :( I started planning our 1st trip as soon as our 2nd ds was born! I'm lucky, DH & both DS's love WDW as much as I do! :cloud9: