PDA

View Full Version : WDW In the rain!

linedropper
01-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Heading down this friday from cold PA, Looks like alot of rain on the forecast! Does everything stay open of it rains? Does anything close? Any Tips for the rainy weather?
:mickey:

broadway_chick72
01-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Hmmm, well, if it starts raining in the park, find something that IS open. Things like Splash Mountain will get closed. Well, I don't think things close unless it's lighting and thundering. But if it's just raining, buy a poncho and try and head for drier things like Tiki Room (that's what we did) or It's A Small World.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
01-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Any Tips for the rainy weather?

Put on your ponchos and enjoy the slightly quieter parks!! :mickey::thumbsup:

I have been a few times with lots of rain and have only seen parades cancelled or delayed. I am sure their are closures in severe storms, but we have been fortunate to just have lots of rain.

We don't let it change our plans at all.

broadway_chick72
01-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah, it rains almost everyday in Disneyworld. So, sometimes it's unavoidable.

Schmiv
01-14-2008, 10:13 PM
We went in Feb. with our 2 boys, ages 5 & 3 and it rained on and off 2 of the 8 days. There was no stopping those kids. We put the ponchos on them and kept on trukin'! :number1:

MushuMulan
01-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Make sure you're not in a building that's far away from other buildings when it starts raining.

We made that mistake at Epcot when we were leaving Living Seas. It was pouring and we had no ponchos so we had to make a mad dash back towards the entrance to Epcot.

Let's just say by the time we got to the central plaza of Epcot we were drenched from head to toe :).

Speedy1998
01-14-2008, 10:18 PM
If it is just rain, most rides will stay open. If their is lighting, then all the outside rides close. Tower of Terror is considered an outside ride when it comes to lighting storms.

The exception to this may be the coasters, not sure if they can run in the rain or not, though my first ride on EE ended in the rain (rain drops really sting when you are going 50 mph).

My experience with rain has always been good. If it looks like it is about to rain I head for an indoor attraction like Country Bears. Last summer when I was there, I heard some thunder on my way to Splash, I turned around and walked into Country Bears instead. While, I was enjoying a Disney Classic everyone outside was getting drenched. When I came out the rain had just stopped, and there was a mass exodus from the park of soaking wet people. The rest of the evening I enjoyed 15 - 20 minute lines with the few die hards that where going to stay in the park even though they were wet.

I find that if you tough it out in the bad weather conditions at the park, the rewards are often worth the discomfort that you may feel.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah, it rains almost everyday in Disneyworld. So, sometimes it's unavoidable.

that is true in the summer... however, during the winter months, rain only comes with storm fronts, usually signaling much cooler weather behind it. The rain in these cases is light to moderate and are nothing like our summer monsoons that pop up literally almost every afternoon from june-september. it looks kinda rainy this week and a bit next week, but it shouldn't be anything like the summers when it is a literal downpour... a nice shower. ponchos should be just the thing...

have fun!!!

(6 days left for us!!!)

biodtl
01-15-2008, 08:56 AM
It's Florida - most of the time the rain passes quickly (and sometimes different areas of the parks won't have rain at all). There's plenty you can still do in a light to moderate rain.

Definitely take or buy ponchos and if you are taking a stroller, a rain cover is a lifesaver.

dteed
01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
ponchos and go, buy them at home very cheap and throw away after each use.

Zippy_D_DooDah
01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
I gotta tell you, the weather is so unpredictable at DW. It could be raining in Orlando and not at DW. On one of our last trips, we were checking the 10-day forcast every day and it said rain and thunderstorms just about everyday, and all but maybe one storm went north of us. What we thought would be a wet trip turned out to be a great one.

For the storm that did catch us, we were at MK when the rain started, so we jumped on IASW. It was still raining pretty heavily after the ride so we ran for Pinocchio Village Haus. Had some dinner and dried off. As soon as it slacked off enough, half of us ran for Mickey's Philharmagic and watched it about 3 times. While the others waited at Village Haus. The rain ended and we got to see Wishes as we made our way to the exit up a nearly deserted Main Street.

Zippy_D_DooDah
01-15-2008, 12:01 PM
ponchos and go, buy them at home very cheap and throw away after each use.

Or... you can let them dry and roll them up tight and store them. We have had the same Disney ponchos for about 5 trips now.

Disney Doll
01-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Bring ponchos from home.
1. you have them with you when it starts raining and you're not one of hundreds of other people rushing into a shop to buy a poncho.
2. It'll be easier to spot the members of your party if you're not one of hundreds of other people wearing mickey ponchos.
3. Ponchos from home will be cheaper.

Poncho up and enjoy the parks. Some people leave which makes the crowd levels very low.

linedropper
01-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the ideas, My DW went to the dollar store over lunch and loaded up on some ponchos! Guess you cant have enough! Thanks for all the feedback! Tick Tock. 3 sleeps And we get on the plane for Orlando! And I wont care if its raining the whole time! Cause I wont be working!:mickey:

Hull-onian
01-15-2008, 06:43 PM
If you are iffy on the rain :umbrella:, go to Wal Mart and purchase the poncho's in the sports section of the store. They cost either 88 cents or 1.00. It is a good investment.

Duchess99
01-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Only the outdoor rides will close and parades will get canceled.
I would recommend going to MK or DHS on a rainy day. The attractions are closer together and there are a lot of shows at DHS so you can stay inside. EPCOT is very spread out and hard to enjoy in the rain and the majority of the rides at AK are outside.
Oh and don't forget your ponchos!:thumbsup:

PeterPan
01-15-2008, 07:39 PM
My family hates slogging around in wet shoes. We usually carry water-proof sandals in our backpacks. That way, we can store the shoes and splash around all we want. Unless its very cold, of course.

CandleontheWater
01-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Panchos and crocs are my favorite disney rain gear. The pancho keeps my clothes dry and the rain runs right out of my crocs. I personally think its fun to be at Disney in the rain. Its a neat experience.

MK_Mtns
01-25-2008, 07:21 PM
**** it up!! haha, jk. but ponchos aren't really me. just wait, usually the rain clears up pretty fast.

linedropper
01-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Once again thanks for all the reply's, We have been here a week and ran into rain twice. Both times we just put the ponchos on and went about our business. Last night was not bad, rained right before spectromagic but slowed to nothing by the time it started! But the 1 dollar ponchos from the dollar store back home worked great! We just ....ed it up!

laward32
01-26-2008, 10:59 AM
We were there the week of Halloween (26-Nov 2) and it rained every day,most of the day, except the last day of course. The rain does not stop people. When it got heavy everybody just went into the stores or stood under the awnings down main street. I don't recall any of the rides closing. The only ride that ever mentioned closing was Goofy's Barnstormer. They made an announcement that they might close without warning when it started sprinkling.
Hope that helps.:mickey:

#1donaldfan
01-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Like most have said, rain only stops people, and sends 'em out of the parks. We will stick it out and reap the spoils of a near empty park. We normally go in the summer months and the rains are short lived and move out rather quickly.....have fun.....:mickey:

Goes4FastPass
01-27-2008, 04:22 AM
Summer rain in Central Florida is here one minute gone the next, no problems.

I prefer an umbrella to a poncho. With a small umbrella I can go into an attraction, shake and fold up my umbrella and I'm comfortable. Who wants to wear a wet plastic tent to Philharmagic? Can you picture Mary Poppins having a jolly holiday in a poncho?

The worst weather night for us EVER at WDW was a MVMCP with a constant rain all evening. We were wearing our matching Mickey sweaters and after a while we smelled like pluto. It would been a come back another evening night for us but it was MVMCP - a hard ticketed event. All stores and restaurants were full of people wishing upon a star for the rain to stop.

TheMartellFamily
01-27-2008, 02:17 PM
We have been and it was raining really heavy and went on the steamboat. By the time we got of the boat Frontierland was flooded. We just told ourselves we are wet let just keep going. The rain was so heavy that while on the boat it was going sideways so anywhere you stood you got soaked. We do have the ponchos with us and pay for them in bulk. We just thow them away when we are done. nothing stops us when we are WDW.

dumbo ears
01-27-2008, 04:39 PM
id say get a poncho or rain jacket and just do all u can. there will be less people so u may be able to accomplish a lot.

D-ko
01-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Florida has a lot of afternoon showers. They come and go away pretty quickly though.

I go to Walmart and buy $.99 disposable ponchos.

sillyolbear
01-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Agree that the ponchos allow you to keep on going. We also Scotch Guard our running shoes before every trip--works great to keep shoes dry.