PDA

View Full Version : It's Girl Scout Cookie Time!

Melanie
01-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Or at least it is in my neck of the woods! :tasty:

So last week I bought from 5 different Girl Scouts. I just couldn't say no! We'll have cookies for months now. :blush:

My old number one favorite (Caramel deLites) has been replaced with a new favorite - LEMONADES! YUMMY!

What's your favorite?

Speedy1998
01-14-2008, 09:08 PM
It is in our neck of the woods too. I do not have a problem telling them to go away though, Girl Scout cookies make me :ack:.

IloveDisney71
01-14-2008, 09:12 PM
I love Girl Scout cookies but I'm on a diet. I've got 10 more pounds to lose so I'm going to resist the temptation to buy any this year. Wish me luck! HA
:thumbsup:

princessjojo
01-14-2008, 09:29 PM
I love love love them, especially the good old fashion thin mints. So this time of year, I try to stay away from all of the cookie girls. :hide: I have no discpline when it comes to them and can't say no. After all the money goes to the girl scouts,... and the cookies to my hips

sgdisney
01-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Ah, the memories of selling these way back when.....when they were only 50 cents a box!
My favorite all time is the simple Trefoil. I think I could sit down and eat a whole box if I'd let myself. My DH & DS love the Savanah's, so I have to buy those too!

tinksmom02
01-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Thin Mints are my fave (and unfortunately, I HAVE been known to eat an entire box!).

One of the reasons I had Jenna join Daisies was for Cookie Time, but alas...Daisies don't fund raise.

My neighbor's daughter is in Brownies, though...so I plan on helping her out with her sales!

ElenitaB
01-14-2008, 10:50 PM
It's that time already? My favorite are Thin Mints... evil cookies that they are! ;)

Do you think the sale of milk goes up around Girl Scout cookie time?

disneydeb
01-14-2008, 11:14 PM
I usually buy my girl's favorites and give them a box for Valentine's Day. I know I love Samoas and coffee!:thumbsup:

MegaDisney
01-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Ordered my 2 boxes of Tagalongs and a box of Samoas!

:tasty:

Melanie
01-14-2008, 11:29 PM
No one has tried the Lemonades?!?!?! You guys are missing out! :D

And some of these mentioned weren't even options for us. I know Caramel deLites and Somoas are the same thing, but what are Tagalongs?

kakn7294
01-15-2008, 12:50 AM
As a grown-up Girl Scout, I can explain a bit about the cookie sales. There are different cookies available throughout the country because Girl Scouts uses different bakeries based on the location of each bakery to the local Counsils - most of the cookies are actually the same or similar, maybe just having a different name. The Counsil is the one who sets the price per box. Tagalongs are a shortbread type cookie with a peanut butter topping and then the whole cookie is covered in chocolate - yummy!!! - they're called Peanut Butter Patties in some areas. Samoas and Caramel deLites indeed are the same. In my area, we don't have Lemonades - instead we have new one called Lemon Chalet Cremes - a vanilla sandwich cookie with lemon icing in the middle. I loved the Lemon Coolers a few years back - they were a lemon version of a russion teaball and low fat to boot - great for my diet. I then liked their replacement, the Cafe Cookie - a cinnamon-flavored shortbread cookie great for dunking in coffee but it's gone this year too. My fave is still the Samoa though. :thumbsup:

Here we go again...
01-15-2008, 05:18 AM
One year they had a cookie with powdered sugar on it. It reminded me of those wedding cookies. Those were sooooo good, but they only had them one year.

We buy then every year then they sit in the cabinet. We do not eat many cookies.

BronxTigger
01-15-2008, 06:36 AM
I hope I can find some to buy this year. I MUST have my Tagalongs! The last couple of years somebody from work was selling them for their niece, but that person is not there anymore. Sooo....I'm going to have to go on a Cookie Hunt!

murphy1
01-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Love thin mints and the round peanut butter ones (not the choc. ones, the other kind like Nutter Butters). I ordered 7 boxes.

Momof2boys
01-15-2008, 10:05 AM
I got 7 emails last week selling them - boy how times have changed from going door to door. Although it's easier to say NO in an email ;) I love the Carmel Delites & the Peanut Butter Patties.

Mel - we tried the Lemonades. Matt (DS9) LOVES them. They are his absolute favorite.

They have the new 100 calorie pack ones as well -

conorsmom2000
01-15-2008, 10:14 AM
mmmm....thin mints....after they've been in the freezer awhile.... :tasty:

I couldn't believe they are being sold and no one had asked us - so, I emailed my friend to see if her daughter is selling them and she said yes, that she had planned to bring the order form with her to our PA meeting tomorrow (her daughter babysits for us). :whew: I thought she forgot about us!

The problem is that Mike, Conor and I all like different things so we end up buying a lot! The Thin Mints and Carmel Delights are my favorites, though! :thumbsup:

RenDuran
01-15-2008, 10:38 AM
I love Girl Scout cookies, but hate selling them! :blush: Let's face it, us moms do a lot more of the selling than the girls!

The Lemonades are awesome....and I also love the Thanks-A-Lot! The new Cinna-Spins, which are the 100-calorie packs, are awful! They passed those around at our last meeting and I thought they could have found a better 100-calorie cookie pack.

tinkwest
01-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Cookie kick-off isn't until this coming weekend around here. I am sure I will have some Girl Scouts stopping by my door and I will always buy from them. Remembering how it feels to be the seller guarantees that I will always say yes. Like sgdisney, I sold them for 50 cents and I never carried an order form. We actually carried around the boxes of cookies.

I miss the Lemon Coolers. They were my favorites. I'll have to give Lemon Chalet Cremes a try. I could go through a box of Tagalongs in an instant, so I try not to order them. I like to order the simple Trefoils, which taste good and come with a larger quantity. The rest of my family thinks they are boring and prefer the Samoas.

ncscgirl2005
01-15-2008, 11:20 AM
No one has tried the Lemonades?!?!?! You guys are missing out! :D

And some of these mentioned weren't even options for us. I know Caramel deLites and Somoas are the same thing, but what are Tagalongs?

Mel, I LOVE the Lemondates. Last year I made the mistake of only getting one box. This year I am getting as much as I can. I'm surprised that I haven't been asked a million times yet.

My favs are the Lemondades, Thin Mints, and Somoas. My fam will eat anything that has the word "cookie" associated with it!

Melanie
01-15-2008, 05:43 PM
I agree that the 100 calories cinnamon packs are awful. :ack: Glad there are some other Lemonade lovers out there. :tasty:

The Girl Scouts around here actually brought the cookies door to door, but they have all kinds of restrictions and can only go to houses of people they know. What was weird is that they couldn't actually say "would you like to buy some Girl Scout cookies?", but only "I'm selling Girl Scout cookies". Of course, my response was "Can I buy some from you?" :D

SgtTigger
01-15-2008, 07:34 PM
We buy then every year then they sit in the cabinet. We do not eat many cookies.

Well next time you come down bring them...............

Glad there are some other Lemonade lovers out there. :tasty:

They sound great but I dont think we have any Girl Scouts down here yet............ Ill have to make a road trip.......

:cop: :tigger:

ncscgirl2005
01-16-2008, 09:16 AM
IGlad there are some other Lemonade lovers out there. :tasty:

I can't miss out on those again. When I got to the daycare yesterday, someone had left an order form at the front desk. Needless to say I ordered 6 boxes (1 Somoa, 2 Thin Mints, 3 Lemonades).

They sound great but I dont think we have any Girl Scouts down here yet............ Ill have to make a road trip.......[/COLOR]

:cop: :tigger:

They are very delightful!!! I hope you get a chance to try some.

disneydrmr
01-16-2008, 10:07 AM
I LOVE Thin Mints.. straight from the freezer and dipped in Cool whip!!!! :cloud9:

Also love the Lemonades! And have to buy the Peanut Butter Sandwhich cookies for my dh!

MNNHFLTX
01-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Count me in as another Thin Mint fan--but the question is, will I be able to find any? We don't have any girl scouts (that I know of) in our neighborhood and the ones selling them at our local Krogers never seem to have any boxes of Thin Mints. :(

ibrowse17
01-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Bring on the thin mints, fresh from the freezer:thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
01-17-2008, 10:10 AM
I hope I can find some to buy this year. I MUST have my Tagalongs! The last couple of years somebody from work was selling them for their niece, but that person is not there anymore. Sooo....I'm going to have to go on a Cookie Hunt!

Well, other than finding moms and dads at work of Girl Scouts, the best place around here to find them...

Wal-Mart

So, looks like you, Bethany, are SOL on this one...

:D;)

I am a Peanut Butter Patty type of girl... er.. Patti... eh, .. Chocolate and PB just make me smile!

ncscgirl2005
01-17-2008, 11:53 AM
I LOVE Thin Mints.. straight from the freezer and dipped in Cool whip!!!! :cloud9:

I've had them frozen before but never with whipped cream. Sounds deelish though....:cloud9: I may have to try it this time around.

thrillme
01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm on a diet...a strict one...So I admit I'm HIDING from Girl Scouts.

If I have a box of these I will eat the entire box in one evening.

I love the peanut butter tagalongs and the samoas. I used to be a thin mint girl but when I was in girl scounts many moons ago we bought a lot of them. I ate myself sick on them and they just have never been quite the same.

PirateLover
01-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Add me to the list of people that inhale an entire pack of thin mints :secret:

d_m_n_n
01-17-2008, 09:43 PM
My old number one favorite (Caramel deLites) has been replaced with a new favorite - LEMONADES! YUMMY!

What's your favorite?

No WAY!!! :( Caramel deLites were literally one of 2 things I could stomach while pregnant with DS10. I can't believe they would take them away from me. :( Well, guess I'm going to have to try some new varieties this year. What's that? I think I hear a Girl Scout cookie calling my name! :D

DisneyLandMomma
01-17-2008, 09:44 PM
When I think of Girl Scout cookies this year I feel :sick:

I'm co-leader of my daughters troop and official "cookie mom". OMGoodness....I am so over cookies since last year. LOL We had 6 girls and sold over 1700 boxes of cookies. Somehow, we bought a WHOLE bunch for ourselves and I just gave the girls our last box(ThanksALot) to the girls at our meeting last night. Not looking forward to starting that all over again on Saturday!! LOL

Mickey052501
01-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Our local sells the lemonades and the lemon chalet cremes so we are trying both. We also ordered the thin mints, even though I have a recipe to make them and one other kind that is shortbread with chocolate. Oh and the cinni-spins.

BronxTigger
01-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Well, other than finding moms and dads at work of Girl Scouts, the best place around here to find them...

Wal-Mart

So, looks like you, Bethany, are SOL on this one...

:D;)

I am a Peanut Butter Patty type of girl... er.. Patti... eh, .. Chocolate and PB just make me smile!

Tagalongs are Peanut Butter Patties! They are totally my favorite! I just hope I find them this year!

No WAY!!! :( Caramel deLites were literally one of 2 things I could stomach while pregnant with DS10. I can't believe they would take them away from me. :( Well, guess I'm going to have to try some new varieties this year. What's that? I think I hear a Girl Scout cookie calling my name! :D

I think that poster meant her personal favorite has changed, not that Caramel DeLites/Samoas were replaced. I'm pretty sure your cookie is safe! :whew:

Melanie
01-18-2008, 06:47 AM
I think that poster meant her personal favorite has changed, not that Caramel DeLites/Samoas were replaced. I'm pretty sure your cookie is safe! :whew:

Oh yes, Caramel deLites are still alive and well. Come on over - I've got a couple boxes lying around. :D

d_m_n_n
01-18-2008, 09:31 AM
:whew: OMG is that a relief. Every year we get those and make a big woohoo about eating them! I think I was so excited when I read the word "replaced" I got flustered and didn't read the rest. I'm feeling much better now though!

DisneyDudet
01-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Not so sure you got my Wal-Mart crack, Bethany....

You work in a school... there's bound to be at least ONE girl scout!

You guys are making me hungry. I think this party needs to head over to JQ...

Disney Doll
01-18-2008, 11:54 AM
I've bought from 2 people already. I too can never say no. I used to be a Brownie myself way back when. I love the Thin Mints & Peanut Butter Patties. I was sad to see that the old Lemonades were replaced by Lemon Chalet Creams. I'm going to try the new ones, but I know they won't be the same. :(

SteveL
01-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Does anyone else think that the Girl Scouts are pricing themeselves out the market for a little box of cookies?

d_m_n_n
01-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Does anyone else think that the Girl Scouts are pricing themeselves out the market for a little box of cookies?

The cookies are expensive (just like the boy scout popcorn is horribly expensive as well). But someone once told me, "You aren't really buying popcorn. You're supporting the scout." It's a way to raise funds, so I don't mind too much. And I would much rather pay too much for a yummy box of cookies than the "junk" PTOs and schools usually sell (eeesh, don't get me started on that "stuff" :thedolls: ).

BronxTigger
01-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Not so sure you got my Wal-Mart crack, Bethany....

You work in a school... there's bound to be at least ONE girl scout!

You guys are making me hungry. I think this party needs to head over to JQ...

No, I got it. No Wal*Marts here!

And no, my school does not have any Girl Scouts.

However, I realized that MY school has class in the SAME building as the area Girl Scout council. Maybe I need to take the elevator up a few extra floors!

princessjojo
01-19-2008, 01:08 PM
The cookies are expensive (just like the boy scout popcorn is horribly expensive as well). But someone once told me, "You aren't really buying popcorn. You're supporting the scout." It's a way to raise funds, so I don't mind too much. And I would much rather pay too much for a yummy box of cookies than the "junk" PTOs and schools usually sell (eeesh, don't get me started on that "stuff" :thedolls: ).
:bow: I am so glad you said that. As much as I love the cookies, they have gone up some over the years. I could get a package of Chips-Ahoy for $2.50 and a lot more cookies for the buck. But it is going to scouting and that's a good thing. I don't have girl scouts, but 2 boy scouts and their pocorn is getting incrediblly expenive. But we sell it, though not as much as we have in the past. But again, it's like you said, it's not about buying cookies or popcorn, you are supporting scouting and that's a big influence in a lot of kids lives.

Thanks to all who support the girls and boys!!!

Hull-onian
01-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the heads up on GS cookies. I will buy some. Gotta love em.

merlinmagic4
01-21-2008, 05:23 AM
:bow: I am so glad you said that. As much as I love the cookies, they have gone up some over the years. I could get a package of Chips-Ahoy for $2.50 and a lot more cookies for the buck. But it is going to scouting and that's a good thing. I don't have girl scouts, but 2 boy scouts and their pocorn is getting incrediblly expenive. But we sell it, though not as much as we have in the past. But again, it's like you said, it's not about buying cookies or popcorn, you are supporting scouting and that's a big influence in a lot of kids lives.

Thanks to all who support the girls and boys!!!

My daughter is a girl scout and I can tell you that the actual troop gets very little from each box they sell. Ours just went to 4.00 per box and the troop gets about .65 of that (maybe more with more sales).

I love the troop my daughter is in; her leaders are fantastic but it seems a bit top heavy to me.

porfer08
01-22-2008, 11:32 PM
My all time favorites are thin mints and samoas, I could eat a whole box of each! We ordered the other day from work, 2 boxes of each. :D

kakn7294
01-23-2008, 12:54 AM
It's true that you can buy cheaper cookies at your grocery store, but this is the only way the troops can support themselves as we are not allowed to take direct donations except for dues. We really don't make much - I think for my area, it's $0.60 per $3.50 box. Thanks to all of you who continue to support scouts through your purchases!!!

Disneyatic
01-23-2008, 05:30 PM
My troop is in Texas and we only get $0.55 per box. My troop only pays a small due each month so the cookie money goes a long way in allowing us to do extra things!
I am not a "cookie commando" so we don't sell as agressively as some of the troops in our area, but we made a decent amount on our sales last year.
I appreciate everyone who buys the cookies and supports the girls!:thumbsup:

On a side note, someone that I already sold cookies to came up to me the other day and asked if I was selling them for the right price. I told them yes, $3.50, and they said they were asking because they had just been to Walmart and a troop there was selling them for $4.50 a box! I was amazed, if that was true, it just burns me up!:mad:

RenDuran
01-23-2008, 09:25 PM
I can't imagine the bargain shoppers at Walmart paying $4.50 a box!

But it is true that each council sets their own prices. There are a few around here that sell cheaper than us....ours are set at $3.50.

Niecyboo
01-24-2008, 10:21 PM
I must say, what I am celebrating this year is that it is my first year without a Girl Scout. I'm sure I'll buy a couple of boxes, but will NOT miss selling them.