PDA

View Full Version : Disney Hotels really getting expensive???

A Mouse Fan
01-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Is it me or are Disney Hotels really getting expensive? We are fortunate enough to go to WDW every two years (I would like to go every year but haven't talked DH into it YET!) Anyways we are going in November for 9 days and we usually stay at the WL (I LOVE THAT HOTEL!). We have AAA and the Disney Credit Card and usually book through MJ. I called Wendy to get a quote for my November trip and we usually book room only and add on tickets after...well from December 2006 to November 2008 the hotel room went up like $700 for the week! JEEZZZZ!!!! And that's with the AAA discount! Now I realize as it gets closer sometimes they come out with discounts etc. But oh my I really don't know how a family affords to go...it's just DH and myself! I know, I know I could stay at a moderate or value but we really like the WL but coughing up an extra $700 is going to hurt!

DizneyRox
01-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Compare your quote with a local higher end hotel and I think you'll agree that Disney is actually fairly reasonable. Especially when you consider the location. Some of our local Marriotts get more a night than Disney...

You might want to look into DVC if you are concerned about rooms costs. It would also help with the once every two years thing as well.

Christine
01-14-2008, 07:45 PM
I've often found that I can stay in Disney cheaper than when I stay in Dallas! I think they are very reasonable still.

WishesFan13
01-14-2008, 08:02 PM
OK, i agree that when you compare WDW hotels to other hotels they aren't far off price wise, but WDW hotels have gone up. I just priced a vacation and it seems it's a couple hundred dollars more than what we spent last year for the same time of year. I just got done saying to DH that the packages went up when i saw this post.

DizneyRox
01-14-2008, 09:00 PM
OK, i agree that when you compare WDW hotels to other hotels they aren't far off price wise, but WDW hotels have gone up. I just priced a vacation and it seems it's a couple hundred dollars more than what we spent last year for the same time of year. I just got done saying to DH that the packages went up when i saw this post.
You are correct... Not sure what the problem is though. Prices go up every year, as do the restuarant prices, rental car prices, airfare, tickets, etc.

Speedy1998
01-14-2008, 09:58 PM
I think part of the problem is that they are not having a problem filling rooms right now, so the discounts are not as steep. I read a post here from a CM that Disney has not had a "off season" in a couple of years.

I personnally find the hotels at WDW very reasonable, especially when you add in the $11 per day for parking you would have to pay if you stayed off site.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
01-14-2008, 09:58 PM
You might want to look into DVC if you are concerned about rooms costs. It would also help with the once every two years thing as well.

:yes: My thoughts exactly.

Crow
01-14-2008, 10:18 PM
i would love to have DVC if someone would provide the bankroll.:secret:
last yr i was at WL & 1 of the bell people said how there had only been 1 day or so that WL wasnt sold out. some of it was due to families being funneled from Contemporary due to the construction and business people given preference there according to him
yes, the discounts dont seem as prevalent or as deep.

disneyjo-91
01-15-2008, 12:09 AM
I thought it was just me!

Yes I think Disney is getting very expensive. I have been going to disney 2-3 times a year for the past 15 years and I can tell you that the prices are Def. much higher!
I keep all my reservation slips from all the past years because every once in awhile I like to compare the prices .
Lets take for example.. In November of 2001 I stayed at the Poly and paid only $179 a night.. Today the same room same time going is over $400 a night.. I would say that is quite a diffrence!
Now dont get me wrong.. I still go and LOVE going .. and yes other vacation desinations have increased as well. However, i wish discounts came out like they used to.. it seems they are very far and few between now....
just my 2 cents :blush:

Here we go again...
01-15-2008, 04:34 AM
Lets take for example.. In November of 2001 I stayed at the Poly and paid only $179 a night.. Today the same room same time going is over $400 a night.. I would say that is quite a diffrence!
Now dont get me wrong.. I still go and LOVE going .. and yes other vacation desinations have increased as well. However, i wish discounts came out like they used to.. it seems they are very far and few between now....
just my 2 cents :blush:

Our first trip to Disney was in 2001. I do not know what time you went that year, but we went right after 9-11. Needless to say, the rooms were very reasonable. It actually gave me a false sense of what a Disney vacation was... inexpensive and no crowds.

I am happy to say that it only took us 6 years to buy into DVC. Now I do not worry about rates any more. :D

Spaceship Tigger
01-15-2008, 08:46 AM
The change to date specific pricing and the reduction of discounts has been huge for us. We typically stay from one weekend through the next - that's four days that now have increased rates of something like $50 a day for a deluxe. But its the reduction of the AP discounts that we used to rely on that have us worried.

I believe the woods view room that we stayed in at the WL in January 2001 would be around $700 more in 2008 for the same number of nights. That's quite an increase.

BigRedDad
01-15-2008, 09:04 AM
It is expensive. However, as long as people are willing to spend the amount, they have no reason to lower the rates. WDW has given everyone the opportunity to curb the rate increases by buying into the DVC. I like luxury, but I am not willing to break the bank on it. The last time we were there was after 9/11 on our Honeymoon. It was a little over 6 years ago, but we spent a week at AKL for less than $1000. I think the entire package was $1600. If I had the money, I would buy into DVC. I will not take a loan to buy into it, but if there is a way I can get in with cash, it may be a chance. I doubt I will be able to because personal investments come first.

mickey&missy
01-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Compare your quote with a local higher end hotel and I think you'll agree that Disney is actually fairly reasonable. Especially when you consider the location. Some of our local Marriotts get more a night than Disney...

:thumbsup: DH and I had been think of going to the Bahamas for a week. when we started looking into we realized it actually to go to WDW.

Everything is getting sooo much more expensive these days. I don't think Disney is out of line with everything else. It's just because the cost of everything is going up you notice it more.

princessjojo
01-15-2008, 09:18 AM
For us, it would be expensive as well, but when we compare the cost of WDW for 10 days to other nearby sun and fun resort-type areas such as The Bahamas or even Myrtle Beach, which is pretty close, it would cost just as much to find something to do from 9am-midnight or so each day unless you just want to sit on a beach or window shop. My mom rents her condo in MB (3br, 3bath) for $1500/wk in peak and it's maybe 1500sf.

That said & compared, I don't think WDW is really out of line with anything else vacation wise. It just makes it easier to justify the somewhat "fixed" cost of my DVC. It's just how I choose my vacation dollars.

diz_girl
01-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Also remember that you are going in November, which is regular season, rather than December (if you went before Christmas), which is value season. You are going during a more expensive season, so that's most likely the bulk of your increase. The difference for these two months for a standard room is $50 per night, which winds up to be $500 more for 9 nights (incl tax). If you would have tried for a December reservation, the increase would only have been about $200 from 2006 to 2008, which is about a 3% increase per year, and is on par with inflation.

I just wonder if Disney will have to freeze or lower their rates in the near future. Although WDW is seeing more visitors from England and the rest of Europe, fewer Americans may go because they can no longer use their houses as ATMs since the credit and housing bubbles have burst. Credit is no longer easily available and home values are falling, which means less disposable income because of the negative savings rates of us Americans (although not me personally). Only time will tell.

robemcdo
01-15-2008, 09:57 AM
What about renting points from DVC members. Depending on the time of year, you might get a nice studio room at Boardwalk for around $150 a night. No taxes either, and still have access to DDP if needed. Negative of this route is the cost of staying Fri/Sat. Costs go up exponentially for F/S. But a reasonable 5 nights at a DVC property is not a bad holiday. If you really need the extra 2 nights, you could go Value for 2 nights. We did this method this past Xmas. Disney looked after moving the luggage etc. It was pretty smooth. Plus, having the two reservations allowed us to eat out of pocket for two nights, and then go for the DDP for the other 5.

Just a thought.

disneyjo-91
01-15-2008, 10:04 AM
When we went in 2001 it was thanksgiving week if anyone was wondering :mickey:-- 179 a night at th poly :thumbsup:

A Mouse Fan
01-15-2008, 10:07 AM
diz_girl...Also remember that you are going in November, which is regular season, rather than December (if you went before Christmas), which is value season. You are going during a more expensive season, so that's most likely the bulk of your increase. The difference for these two months for a standard room is $50 per night, which winds up to be $500 more for 9 nights (incl tax). If you would have tried for a December reservation, the increase would only have been about $200 from 2006 to 2008, which is about a 3% increase per year, and is on par with inflation.

Dizgirl....you are right I forgot we probably went in value season (early December)...I do remember when early November used to be Value Season but alas not more :( I guess between going regular season and some higher rates on weekends I was just surprised at the difference. Don't get me wrong I LOVE WDW and we will continue to go their every couple of years but we may have to make some choices like a moderate hotel or less table service restaurants.
I have looked into DVC and it just isn't for us, at least right now. I have inquired about renting points though and you can get some deals out there!
Looking forward to our trip in November and keeping my :fingers: for some deals!

Bri
01-15-2008, 01:38 PM
When you think about it, Disney is really a great value for a full package. For two of us, we typically go for 7 nights (POFQ), get a 7 day park hopper and the dining plan, we do go during the Value Season. We also budget about $250 each for plane tickets and $500 each for spending money. We do take WAY more spending money than we need but we'd rather have too much than not enough. Everything above costs us $1800 per person including taxes. Minus the spending money and plane tickets, it's about $1050 per person at a moderate resort during value season. We got lucky this year and got 40% off the room so we are staying at AKL for the same that we would pay to stay at POFQ without a room discount. That being said, we have looked into going to the Bahamas, specifically Atlantis resort. The cost for 7 nights in the cheapest room is $1900 for accomodiations only. For a package is $2455 for 7 nights. But the package is only transportation to and from the airport, vacation insurance, and pre-paid taxes, gratuities, and surcharges. That package comes out to $1277 per person and that's not including any activities, food, plane tickets, spending money, etc. So you figure with all of the above mentioned things, you could be spending well over $2200 per person for 2 people for 7 nights. I know this is a long post, but I just wanted to show everyone that Disney is a great value for the money. You get to do a lot and if you get the park hopper and dining plan, you aren't really spending too much money on anything other than souvineers. That's why we keep going back, we have looked into other places (Atlantis, Sandles Resorts, Hawaii, etc) but we can make our money go much further at Disney!

Marilyn Michetti
01-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Actually, (if I'm reading you right), $700 for a week is reasonable anywhere. That's $99 a night, and you're staying at WL. You might get a smaller room for less money at a different time of year, but ?????????

Vacations are expensive anywhere.:confused:

lockedoutlogic
01-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Fact: Disney is expensive...and not for the financially challenged

Fact: No matter how you slice it...a week trip to wdw with food, lodging, tickets, and merchandise is more expensive than any trip in the continental US...most north american locations...and even some farther away

Fact: "value" or "affordable" shouldn't really be applied to travel to WDW...no matter what the commericals during the primetime shows are telling you these days

I have to chuckle when people comment on how it's "getting expensive"....it always was...and most likely always will be. WDW is a luxury that many people both in this country and abroad can't afford...i speak yee the truth....so while it can be done to varying degrees of cost....it is still a luxury and we all really should look at it as a privilege...not something we are entitled to once a year, once every other year, three or more times a year...etc..

just a penny...

Marilyn Michetti
01-15-2008, 02:01 PM
I apologize. I misread the OP - you were saying the price went UP $700.:blush:

pox24
01-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Big Red is right. As long as there is somebody who is gonna pay these amounts then why lower the rates. That is why my wife and I joined the DVC. I am locked in, no matter what the room rates are. However if you don' t do WDW alot it may not be worth it. We go for week end getaways, and treat our two boys and their wives.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Although, I have to say...a lot of you are saying you spend between $1500 and $2500 on a single vacation.

You're already a good portion into a DVC timeshare as it's only a one time fee (other than annual dues which is about $7 per point, based on the home resort).

Plus, it extends into the next 50 years. You can use it at any time, not worry about room rate increases, and you can even will it out to your children.

Also, Disney is very reasonable compared to off-property resorts. A lot of the places around here start at $120/night (which is the same as the Values) and they don't include the transportation, the easy access, the EMH, the ammenities.

If you don't want to pay the increase, consider getting the DVC. Otherwise, don't complain about the inflation of the room rates.

As a side note, my family lives in Tampa and we're DVC members.

AlvyOT08
01-15-2008, 07:21 PM
I think the Disney Hotels are reasonable. I always stay at a value resort and have loved it. The Pop Century has been perfect and fits all of our needs. WEre never in the hotel room much anyway, which is why we haven't gone with a moderate. My best suggestion would be to try a moderate and see what you think about it.

MarkC
01-15-2008, 08:58 PM
You are all right-- it is getting very expensive. However, as BigRedDad pointed out earlier, it's basically a matter of supply and demand. If people are filling the rooms there is no need to reduce the prices. Per another poster, even in non-tourist areas motels are getting extremely expensive. If the economy slows (which may be happening) you may see some more discounts, but you'll have to shop around. Mark

Mikey Piano 23
01-16-2008, 12:20 AM
I think they are actually pretty cheap compared to other popular destinations....yes the Delux resorts are pretty expensive but value and moderates are fit for everyones budgets I think.

sainter
01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
A night at a value or mod is cheaper than a night in a Country Inn and Suites or Comfort in on the East Coast or any major city. Yeah you do get that breakfast and an indoor pool and oh, that is it.
A Disney vacation is not cheap but neither are most vacation destinations. I can't even find a cabin to rent "up north" (Wisconsin) for less than $1200 a week anymore! And no housekeeping included.

KylesMom
01-17-2008, 03:02 PM
In 2000, we paid $110 per night tax included for All Star Sports in early May - this was before "Preferred" rooms were classed. At that time in our lives, we didnt even dream of staying for more than 7 nights - let alone at more than a Value due to financial reasons. Good Lord, we thought we'd go once in 2000 and wouldn't be back until DS was MUCH older (he was 27 months his first visit). Um, we were more than hooked on our first visit with DS.

Then 911 happened :( , and for the next several years we were able to get CBR for $149, FW Cabins for $164, CR for $185 - all during summertime months with A/P discounts. In essence, we got SPOILED.

With the current rebound of the travel industry since 911, rates are definitely higher than the past few years when we were getting "steal deals" - and discounts are very slim for summer travel. HOWEVER, I checked and the value resorts are still comperable to pre 911 rates.

I just ran the numbers on All Star Sports, and even with today's date-specific pricing staying a Friday and Saturday night, it would cost approximately $115.09 per night with tax for an early May stay - only $5.00 more per night than it did eight years ago. I cannot compare what it was in 2000 for other classes of hotels since we didn't stay anywhere else, but that is a very low increase indeed compared to many other inflationary items in my life. In fact, I was shocked when I did this pricing exercise to see how close the rate was to original trip in 2000. Alas, we've fallen in love with the Deluxes (and the bed sizes), so the Values are out for us. But if that was all we could afford, we'd be booking again in a heartbeat - and I'd think I was getting a heckuva deal! :mickey:

hockeymom
01-17-2008, 08:14 PM
I agree with locked in.

Disney is expensive, always has been. Travelling from Canada may put a different spin on things.....this year we rented a 5 bdrm house with private pool and hot-tub for $175. per night. We split this with my sister's family and you see what a deal we got.

We are huge Disney fans, but we had to think twice about the cost of lodging....it has gone up over the years, and my sons have "gone up" as well. Most of the value and moderate resorts get a little cramped after 5 days or so...My neighbor just left for two weeks at a Quality Suites down there, she got online for $79. per night and it came highly recommended. ....also, this year I noticed that as soon as Jan. 1st passed, there were lots of hotels in various areas listing for $59. per night....Sooner or later things will level off and I hope that Disney hasn't lost some regular guests.

BrerGnat
01-18-2008, 12:00 PM
I have to say that I still think that WDW is more affordable than MANY other vacations across the US for a comparable amount of time and things to do. If you stay a week "anywhere else USA", you may spend less money, but you will not get the bang for your buck, activity-wise, that you do at WDW. This is probably why SO MANY people go to WDW every single day of the year. There has to be some perceived value, or people would stop going. The truth is, EVERYTHING is getting more expensive these days (I am currently paying $5.09/gallon of milk...) Of course, the price of lodging at WDW is going to go up as general commodities go up in price as well.

For those arguing how much more expensive a room at WDW is now vs. 7, 8, or 10 years ago, consider this: In 1979, the price of a room at the Contemporary resort was $50. My parents stayed there on their first trip with my sister and I as babies (I was 9 months old). In the 29 years since then, the price has gone up 300%. That's roughly a 10% increase per year. I doubt that the prices have increased 10% every year for the past 7 or so years at every WDW resort. What is happening is that the HIGH DEMAND properties are getting more expensive, while the moderates and values, as crowded as they seem, are still relatively cheap, because if Disney raised the prices beyond the reach of the middle class, they'd have a real problem on their hands. The fact is, there are just more wealthy people these days, and they are more than willing to part with their disposable income. Disney has to make up for the relatively stable prices at the Values and Mods by making the Deluxes insanely expensive. It's all about balance.

I still think WDW hotel prices are reasonable. Some people don't put a price on time saved and convenience, hence the allure of the deluxe resorts.

Swazie
01-18-2008, 07:22 PM
We have a large family and we are DVCers. Disney IS expensive for large families. With the weekend surcharges (which really makes me mad) our new strategy is to stay only five nights on property on points. We can rent an entire, huge, beautiful home with it's own heated pool for a week compared to what it would cost us to stay on site for two nights on a weekend. Most of us are AP holders so we can get the "ride til you drop" out of us while on site. We do the dining plan while there too to enjoy the Disney eating. We then move off site and have the luxury of eating at great restaurants (lots of great ones) off site without paying the Disney premium (this is what really kills the pocketbook on Disney property for large parties).

We have always spent two weeks on site . . but no more. I know we can cook our own food, stay at Pop Century, etc but the point of our vacation is to have fun AND relax. If we have to pay that kind of dough for the weekend we'll stay at Universal and take advantage of the "front of the line perk" for the weekend. (And I am NOT a Universal fan, but the big kids love the rides).

I LOVE Disney . . but the current configuration of pricing (room, car, ticket, food, air fare) does add up to a lot!

splashtest
01-23-2008, 02:35 PM
I try to rationalize it this way. Yes, Disney can be a bit expensive, but you don't need to rent a car of you stay on property....that in itself can be a good size savings. On top of that, you won't need to pay for parking at the parks. If you add up those 2 savings the cost of Disney doesn't sting so much...at least to me.

TheRustyScupper
01-23-2008, 06:12 PM
1) Are WDW hotels expensive?
2) You betchya, and they are increasing.
3) However, the prices are just getting noticed.
4) With increased bookings, there are less discounts.
5) So, the price to guests is generally more.
6) So, it is part real and part perception.

BelleLovesTheBeast
01-23-2008, 09:22 PM
I think they've become expensive. I was EXTREMELY disappointed on my last trip. My husband travels for a living so he is gone almost every week. His company only allows a max of $100 a night. In Sept we stayed at Caribbean Beach for $165 a night. We were there for 10 nights and our sheets were never changed, housekeeping rehung towels that had been on the floor and the staff was rude. I've stayed at La Quintas for $79 that were cleaner and much nicer. It is making me consider staying off Disney property on our next trip. We don't make enough money to afford to stay in the deluxe resorts....$280+ a night is too much.

adoptionislove
01-23-2008, 10:14 PM
OMG BellLovesTheBeast,

You HAVE to speak up about the poor service you received. It is ridiculous to spend good $ at Disney and get ****** service.

Call the exec offices and complain.

Michelle

BeccaO
01-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Here are a couple comments I have about our recent trip to the Grand Floridian. Now, mind you, we have stayed here many times and never before did we encounter issues like we did last week.

1. Main Lobby totall shut down due to renovations, and we were not informed when making the reservation.

2. 2 days after checking in, the swimming pool was blocked off with a chain link fence and draping over that. We also were not informed of this.

4. 18 inch weeds growing out of the rain gutters on our floor around the balcony, we were on the 4th floor. This is un-acceptable when you are paying over $400 a night.

5. A rat was running around right outside the front door of the lobby when we were waiting to be picked up one night. Yes, I said rat, and after watching it for 2 minutes trying to get up over the wall where all the flowers are planted, it was not a squirrel or a bunny, it was a RAT!!!

6. The wood on the railing of our balcony was dry-rotted, this is also un-acceptable. We pay how much a night????

7. After the entire floor was ripped up in the lobby, it was finally opened up again, looking the same as it did before. Apparently they ordered imported Italian tile and when they started to lay it, the big wigs didn't like it, so they sent it all back and put the carpet back down again!!!! This info came from the bar tender at Mizner's Lounge.

If they continue to push the rates up, which is to be expected, they need to make sure the resort continues to provide excellent service.

This is just a few of the things that happened over the course of 10 nights, I expect the same service from the GF as I would get at the Greenbrier Resort in WV, because the rates are pretty darn close and I believe the star rating is too. Non the less, Disney is definately VERY expensive!!!!