PDA

View Full Version : DINOSAUR: Countdown to Extinction

Jobasha3000
01-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Is there any way to make a better dark ride? I seriously believe this ride is the ultimate evolution of the dark ride style. Discuss.

dumbo ears
01-14-2008, 04:58 PM
its a great dark ride but i agree that the mummy is a better dark ride.

Melanie
01-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Have you ridden Indy at Disneyland? Even though it is the same ride system, it beats Dinosaur hands down in theming and story.

Jobasha3000
01-14-2008, 05:12 PM
I actually really want to ride indy, but I've seen a ton about it on TV. Is it like the same system as Dinosaur? What does it for me is a cart with such an envelope of movement independent of the tracks.

jszczur5
01-14-2008, 05:30 PM
its a great dark ride but i agree that the mummy is a better dark ride.

Ditto here. The Mummy is one of the few reasons that I would consider going back to US.

DizneyRox
01-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Is there any way to make a better dark ride? I seriously believe this ride is the ultimate evolution of the dark ride style. Discuss.
Do you mean Dinosaur or Countdown to Extinction.

CTX was a much better ride. Seriously tamed when they switched it to Dinosaur. I'm going to agree with Mummy though overall. CTX was the best at Dsiney though.

DakotaDisney
01-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Indiana at Disneyland is a great ride!

I enjoyed Dinoasaur, but I like Indy better.

My only complaint about Dinoasaur is that it is a really loud ride.

I hope to go on Mummy sometime. Is it at Universal or Islands of Adventure?

DizneyFreak2002
01-14-2008, 06:29 PM
The best dark ride is Spider-Man... Wait, is that even considered a dark ride??? If it is, Spider-man is way better than Mummy...

broadway_chick72
01-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Question--what exactly was Countdown to Ex.? I thought it was basically the same storyline as Dinosaur.

I'm such a chicken. I have refuesed to go on Dinosaur. Maybe it'll be closed the day we're there...:P That'd be great! Heehee!

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
01-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Do you mean Dinosaur or Countdown to Extinction.

CTX was a much better ride. Seriously tamed when they switched it to Dinosaur. I'm going to agree with Mummy though overall. CTX was the best at Dsiney though.I've been on both and can't recall the differences. I seem to have gotten thrown about pretty well on both versions. What exactly did they tame down?

DizneyRox
01-14-2008, 07:34 PM
I've been on both and can't recall the differences. I seem to have gotten thrown about pretty well on both versions. What exactly did they tame down?

Less movement in Dinosaur, and it is lighter now than it was before. Same basic story...

Also lots of the effect worked back then as well, unlike now. The attraction is really showing it's age these days.

BouncingTigger
01-14-2008, 07:58 PM
After reading all the great things about Dinosaur, I was totally psyched to ride it on our first trip to Disneyworld last week. However, I was pretty disappointed. It was a decent ride, but not nearly as cool as I thought it would be. The dinosaurs weren't at all scary (though they were kinda cool looking) and the ride was extremely tame. My bf and I were both not impressed by it and didn't go on it again even though there was only a 5-10 minute wait.

The last time I went to DLR was over two years ago, but I really liked Indy then (don't know if has changed by now). Got bounced around a lot - a fun ride, but not too extreme to where it was painful. The theming and effects were just way more cool than Dinosaur - and I'm not even an Indiana Jones fan!

I've been on the Mummy at Universal Studios Hollywood and agree it is a very good dark ride, way better than Dinosaur. I like that the Mummy goes fast, goes backwards, and has freaky dark scenes.

My bf really liked Indy, but thought the Mummy was too extreme - it was more roller coaster like (he's a total roller coaster wuss!)

Just my input...

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
01-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Here I am again, Dinosaur-hater :party:

I really hate Dinosaur, it was the most terrifying experience of my life..the ride car isn't the greatest way of seeing the ride, the animatronics are pretty cool (the flashes I did see of them)

Now, Indiana Jones Adventure..that is the greatest dark ride ever!!

Jobasha3000
01-15-2008, 07:12 PM
for all the people saying its showing it's age, while that is true for some of the audio-animatronics (well actually most of them), the ride itself is fairly exciting as far as seizure inducing frenetic ride motions go. The whole transport room was so well detailed, its pretty amazing. The actual dinosaurs could really go out the window. And no, I dont believe Spiderman is if only because of it's use of screens and video. If that qualified, then I'd go with Darkcastle in Busch Gardens north which had a cart frantically spinning from screen to screen in addition to some props and real effects.

Duchess99
01-15-2008, 07:18 PM
CTX was a much better ride. Seriously tamed when they switched it to Dinosaur. I'm going to agree with Mummy though overall. CTX was the best at Dsiney though.

I totally agree! The ride was so much more exciting as CTX. Dinosaur is still good, but now I wish I never experienced CTX so I could enjoy Dinosaur more :thumbsup:

CandleontheWater
01-15-2008, 07:59 PM
I seriously think Dinosaur is the most frightening thing I've ever experienced. I try to be a good sport and go on every time, thinking it will eventually get less scary- nope, every ride photo shows me with my hands over my ears and my head buried in DH's shoulder. I have no idea how children ride that ride. I'm 29 and I can't handle it.

I have ridden Indiana Jones in DL though, and I think it was really awesome, I'd love to see it come to the studios! :number1:

ncscgirl2005
01-16-2008, 09:24 AM
My only complaint about Dinoasaur is that it is a really loud ride.
I

That is my complaint with it too. I liked the ride but it was way too loud for me to go on a second time.

Gottaluvgoof
01-16-2008, 11:58 AM
I love Dinosaur, but honestly, there isn't much I don't like at Disney, besides Stitch. My DD 13 though is scared to death...lol It cracks me up. She knows they are fake, and she rides all the thrill rides, but Dinosaur for some reason just totally freaks her out. Doesn't like it at all. She does love the Mummy. There are two things Universal/Islands of Adventure have on Disney. That would be the Mummy and Spider Man. Two of the best rides I have ever been on in my lifetime.

For the person who asked, the Mummy is in Universal Studios.

mcjaco
01-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Ugh, Dinosaur is terrible. It's poorly thought out, the effects don't work, it's too dark, and it just throws you around.

Indy is hands down the better of the two.

I wouldn't consider Mummy a dark ride. It's an indoor coaster with dark ride effects. Now, Spiderman, is a dark ride which kicks major butt.

CaptSmee
01-16-2008, 05:34 PM
I love Dinosaur! It is a fun ride!:mickey:

DisFan01
01-16-2008, 05:54 PM
I have never ridden CTX, but Dinosaur is the best dark ride at Disney to me. I have also never been on the Mummy, so I con't really talk about that.

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
01-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I seriously think Dinosaur is the most frightening thing I've ever experienced. I try to be a good sport and go on every time, thinking it will eventually get less scary- nope, every ride photo shows me with my hands over my ears and my head buried in DH's shoulder. I have no idea how children ride that ride. I'm 29 and I can't handle it.

I have ridden Indiana Jones in DL though, and I think it was really awesome, I'd love to see it come to the studios

Wow, I said exactly the same thing! :thumbsup: I am so glad that there is someone who knows how terrifying Dinosaur is:)

broadway_chick72
01-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Question---is there much of a difference in Countdown to Ex. and Dinosaur? Or did they just change the name?

WDWfanatic742
01-16-2008, 06:58 PM
There were rumors about the ride being toned down on the intensity level during the name change, however nothing was ever proved that they did that.

I love the ride and I don't know why some people don't like it at all. I've heard the Indy comparisons to it so I understand that bit, but it's still a fun ride and you shouldn't not like it because of it's counterpart being a better ride.

Dinosaur is a more adventerous ride while the Mummy is more of a thrill ride. I love the Mummy, but I wish that it was longer than what it is.

DizneyRox
01-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Question---is there much of a difference in Countdown to Ex. and Dinosaur? Or did they just change the name?

In comparing a couple different audio tracks I have, there are very minor differences, but I really can't say for sure. Equipment failures, etc could result in the differences.

IMHO though, I've been riding it since the park opened, and I can tell you there was some sort of a change. It does feel like the intensity was toned down, but the lighting is a little different as well. It used to be pitch black in some sections, now it's a little lighter. There are a number of effects that don't work now too, but it's tough to say if they are a result of the change or a result of shoddy maintenance.

With Disney it's tough to tell sometimes...

Tigger&Stitch
01-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Question--what exactly was Countdown to Ex.? I thought it was basically the same storyline as Dinosaur.

I'm such a chicken. I have refuesed to go on Dinosaur. Maybe it'll be closed the day we're there...:P That'd be great! Heehee!

I was going to say not to worry because if I can handle the ride (and, actually it's my fav in AK!) anyone can! I'm a huge chicken too and don't ride roller coasters anymore. I refuse to go on the two big rides in MGM - nevermind EE!

Then I read Dutchman's and CandleontheWater's posts...so I guess that's not true. :-/

Maybe there is a video somewhere of the ride from a rider's perspective? That would almost be the same. ;)

:tigger:

broadway_chick72
01-16-2008, 09:47 PM
I was going to say not to worry because if I can handle the ride (and, actually it's my fav in AK!) anyone can! I'm a huge chicken too and don't ride roller coasters anymore. I refuse to go on the two big rides in MGM - nevermind EE!

Then I read Dutchman's and CandleontheWater's posts...so I guess that's not true. :-/

Maybe there is a video somewhere of the ride from a rider's perspective? That would almost be the same. ;)

:tigger:

I refuse to go on the big rides too in MGM too. Too scary for me! But EE is AMAZING! It's very intense. But it's great.

Sorry about the off-topicness. :P

I've seen a video on Youtube and you can't see ANYTHING.

Tigger&Stitch
01-16-2008, 10:15 PM
I refuse to go on the big rides too in MGM too. Too scary for me! But EE is AMAZING! It's very intense. But it's great.

Sorry about the off-topicness. :P

I've seen a video on Youtube and you can't see ANYTHING.

oooh...how about a "cross challenge"? I'll go to EE on my next trip, and you go to Dinosaur on yours. Hopefully we both won't have heart attacks! :scared: :ambal:

**sorry for the small diversion**! :offtopic:

MegaDisney
01-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Have you ridden Indy at Disneyland? Even though it is the same ride system, it beats Dinosaur hands down in theming and story.

I couldn't agree more!

I found Dinosaur very boring. Too Dark and loud and just no fun. I have a great picture from the on ride photo where EVERONE is looking up at the Dino with this look of total boredom on their faces.

INDY ROCKS!:number1:

prttynpnk
01-17-2008, 10:47 AM
I seriously think Dinosaur is the most frightening thing I've ever experienced. I try to be a good sport and go on every time, thinking it will eventually get less scary- nope, every ride photo shows me with my hands over my ears and my head buried in DH's shoulder.

I love it, but everytime we get the same picture of me trying to claw and burrow under the seat. But I love Dr Grant Seeker! I love him!

jclightchasr
01-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Back to the original question/statement posed which was is Dinosaur the current pinnacle in its styling regarding dark rides. I would have to say yes until I rode The Seas with Nemo, the special effects on that ride are minboggling. Regarding the ride vehicle I think that more could be done with water rides such as simulator style movements. An exmple would be a submarine with similiar effects in Nemo but on a much grander scale such as the Leviathon from Atlantis (I know lousy movie for most) which could be chasing your ship as you look out the window in terror while your submarine moves in motions similiar to a simulator. YOu could end up surfacing in an Atlantian Lagoon pool which is where you would leave the ride the whole area would have its own themeing seperate from the entrance location (similiar ride with this would be Maelstrom) And in true Disney fashion...the exit takes you through a gift shop. Although I don't think they would sell much Atlantis Merchandise without the rides help.

Jobasha3000
01-17-2008, 03:01 PM
An atlantis themed dark ride would be so epic!!! Especially if they used the old boats from 20K Leagues. What do you mean though as to nemo and friends being amazing ... it felt sort of like a haunted mansion redecoration with the cart styles and such, though the wall of projection screens with the bubbley part was certainly amazing.