PDA

View Full Version : 39.5 inches!!!!

linedropper
01-14-2008, 12:16 PM
We are heading to Disney friday morning for ten days and I am a little bummed! my 2 and 3/4 year old son is 39.5 inches in his shoes. I know the 40 inches break point on most rides is for safety! But it splits up the family, Should I find the shoes that put him to 40 or just deal with the parent swap! Want to do the right thing! LOL!:mickey:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-14-2008, 12:19 PM
awww! honestly, i don't know... my DD is only 37 inches, so I long for the day she hits that magical 40... is 1/2 inch a lot to find in a shoe? I have never really thought about it because there are no 3 inch shoes available...lol

linedropper
01-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Thats 39.5 in shoes, I would need a big heeled shoe to push him the rest! But I just think the 40 is for safety reasons and I don't want to be that guy who breaks the rules! Just hope he grows a half inch in the next 3 days ! LOL:mickey:

Gottaluvgoof
01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Well, they don't take the shoes off, so I assume the 40 inches includes the shoes. Depends on which rides you're referring to, I guess. If he likes the rides, I say go for it. (I'll probably be slammed for my response, but who cares..lol)

Ian
01-14-2008, 12:33 PM
To be honest, it may not matter anyway. CM's actually do look at the shoes if it's real close and if they see a super-thick heel they probably will deny him boarding anyway.

Personally, I'd wait until he grows the other 1/2 inch on his own. I mean some attractions (like Soarin') he might be okay on, but others (like BTMR, Barnstormer, Splash) it could be a real safety issue because of the way the restraints work.

My DD wasn't 40" tall until she was like four and a half and we waited.

Mickey'sGirl
01-14-2008, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't push it and I wouldn't stress over it. Safety is paramount. He'll eventually be 40 inches tall.

poeticeclipse
01-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Being only a half an inch away from "legal" height... i'd say work on getting the boy to "grow." If he was anymore than 1/2 inch away I would most definitely say no.

Parents please don't flame me.

krose78
01-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Measure him on the signs when you get there because my 38 inch son got on all the 40 inch rides just barely but he did.

Pipalotta
01-14-2008, 01:09 PM
I can tell you I was just there last week and saw a lot of children that were just slightly under the 40in mark and were allowed on the ride.

BigRedDad
01-14-2008, 01:10 PM
It really is a safety issue. It may be minor, but look at it another way. If something should happen, do you really want to be that parent that put their child in harms way just to get on a ride? If some thing were to happen, there would be investigations, potentially CMs losing their jobs, raising the height limits where other kids now miss out, and a whole mess of other things. I say leave him in his regular shoes, see if he makes the cutoff. If he doesn't, there is always next time.

Polynesian Dweller
01-14-2008, 01:28 PM
As others have said, the real issue is about safety of the child. To be safe the child has to fit the requirements of the restraints. I'd advise never compromising on safety.

Taja
01-14-2008, 01:40 PM
The nine-year-old lass in our group in December was 47.5 inches tall. Most six-year-olds were as tall or taller than she was!

She was very mature about the few rides she couldn't go on--she'll grow by the next time she visits! She knows it won't be for several years. :)

Kidsmom
01-14-2008, 01:47 PM
My 4 year old last August was also 1/2 inch shy by our measurement at home(with shoes on). He is our youngest of 4 kids so we all wanted to go on all the basic rides. (The baby swap isn't that great as you still have to wait in the fast pass line which can be quite long sometimes as well...)

We put him in his biggest healed sneakers (which are normal Nike) and told him to stand as tall as he could. He got checked a lot.

Some he absolutely made the cut, some he was just a little smiggen shy, but the only one that said "No Go" was ToT, which in the end was a smart move.

He went on everything else and loved it. He also sat next to Dad or Mom during each and every ride so I never felt like safety was an issue.

We have the issue with 48inches with our 3rd child coming up this April. This we will NOT push as these are different type of rides where I do believe saftey is more imperative as they are thrill rides.

Just have him try each ride and see if they let him in (if you think he can handle the attraction).

Have Fun!

#1donaldfan
01-14-2008, 02:03 PM
40 inches is 40 inches is 40 inches....it's truly for the kids safety and that in my opinion is the greatest......I would give each ride a try, you just never, never know...you know kids take growing spurts and it may just be your luck...if not though, it'll not split up the fam, the child swap thing is a great function, that seems to work very well, we've used it in the past and it worked very well.....the rides are only a minute or two long, so that the "extra" time you'd have to wait.....

linedropper
01-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Hey thanks for all the responses , most of you just basically gave me the answer I know I should follow. My DS is only 2 and 3/4 so he will have many more years to ride all the rides. Just wanted to see how people have dealt with it in the past! Thanks for the responses!
:mickey:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
01-14-2008, 04:57 PM
My son is 39", but over that with shoes. He refused to hold still to be measured. When we were in Hollywood Studios, at the Star Wars ride, the woman at the entrance let him through with a quick glance. The woman inside, who sends you to your row, had no patience, was very rude to us and didn't let him go. She did let other, smaller children through without measurement, who happened to match her ethnicity. I went on the ride with my DD (she also was very rude to me and my DD inside the ride as she tried to explain about how the switch would work). My husband was so disgusted with her attitude towards us that he ended up walking out without riding.

That's my round-about way of saying that I really think it's up to the CM you get.

beckylovestink
01-14-2008, 05:00 PM
We are going to Disney in Feb and my daughter is 1/2 in away as well. Every day we measure...at least you don't have to be 40 inches for barnstormer!
Have a good time and good luck on the growth!:mickey:

Melanie
01-14-2008, 05:19 PM
40 inches is 40 inches is 40 inches....it's truly for the kids safety and that in my opinion is the greatest

True. It's all about the child's safety! And please remember that discussing ways to 'cheat the system' is not allowed on INTERCOT.

A little off topic , but does disney give you a wristband or stamp if you hit the 40 inch mark so the child isn't checked at every single 40 inch minimum attraction?

We recently discussed this here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=123557).

vamaggie
01-14-2008, 05:23 PM
A little off topic , but does disney give you a wristband or stamp if you hit the 40 inch mark so the child isn't checked at every single 40 inch minimum attraction?

Not unless they have changed things since Nov. Not wristbands or stamps. Kids need to be measured at the rides (at the CMs discretion) Our DD (4.5) was so excited when she "Bumped " (the stick that shows you are 40") at Slash and could ride, she would voluntarily go to each measure place at the rides to "prove" she was tall enough. Thank goodness EE was 48" cause she even tried to do that one! LOL.

Don't try to "fudge" the height, tell the kids to stand tall, shoulders back and see what happens. If you DS doesn't make the height, maybe have some special surprises in your bag to occupy him while he waits for the others.

linedropper
01-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks again all,

Not trying to cheat system, Just trying to understand system! Was just wondering if they were strict, thats all! Would not suggest cheating. Thanks for all your comments, Right now my DS is out back in 30 degree weather hanging from the swingset Brady Bunch style to get taller!

Melanie
01-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Would not suggest cheating.

I'm sorry, I was not singling you out at all. There were a few responses I deleted which detailed ways to cheat the system.

Little Einstein
01-14-2008, 07:28 PM
My DS is only 2 and 3/4 so he will have many more years to ride all the rides.

He's quite tall though - we are going in 2 weeks and my 3 yr old (Dec b-day) is only 37 inches tall! Have a good trip!:mickey:

Speedy1998
01-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Right now my DS is out back in 30 degree weather hanging from the swingset Brady Bunch style to get taller!

As strange as it sounds that might actually work, I used to know an Army officer who had his troops do this before they took their physical, (so their BMI index would look better).

NJ Camper
01-14-2008, 08:15 PM
that hangin from the swing thing will only stretch his arms i thought they measured head to feet he might have monkey arms if he stretches them lol :D

garymacd
01-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Being only a half an inch away from "legal" height... i'd say work on getting the boy to "grow." If he was anymore than 1/2 inch away I would most definitely say no.

Parents please don't flame me.

Yes. Think positive. Maybe he will grow half an inch by Friday

linedropper
01-14-2008, 08:56 PM
My ds 2 3/4 is very tall for his age! He wont even know what he is missing not riding the rides I think. As long as he gets on the kid rides he will have a blast! He really only keeps saying he wants to see Mickey Mouse. Not ride Soarin! LOL:mickey:

By the way, I only made him hang for a half hour...JK

Little Einstein
01-14-2008, 09:10 PM
He really only keeps saying he wants to see Mickey Mouse. Not ride Soarin! LOL:mickey:

That sounds exactly like mine - if he sees Mickey Mouse and Little Einsteins he'll be a happy camper! :thumbsup:

vamaggie
01-14-2008, 09:20 PM
My ds 2 3/4 is very tall for his age! He wont even know what he is missing not riding the rides I think. As long as he gets on the kid rides he will have a blast! He really only keeps saying he wants to see Mickey Mouse. Not ride Soarin! LOL:mickey:

LOVE IT!!! Thank you for the great mental visual image of Bobby Brady hanging upside down!! Hope you little guy has a fantastic time (which I know he and you all will!!) Tell him to say "HI" to Mickey from all of us who can't go this year! :mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
01-14-2008, 09:26 PM

He really is a tall "little" guy!! :)

My DD was one month shy of 4 in September when we went and she was just a smidgen above the 40" mark with her Crocs on. And to tell you the truth I still only let her on Soarin, Kali and Splash. I did not think she was ready for BTMRR, Test Track, etc.

That is what the next trip is for!! :mickey:

Have a great trip!!

kakn7294
01-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Right now my DS is out back in 30 degree weather hanging from the swingset Brady Bunch style to get taller!
:mickey:Here's some :pixie: that it works! My 8 yo DD has been anxious to ride RnRC and Primevel Whirl for the past 2 trips but she's STILL too short at 46.5 inches barefoot (needs to be 48). We have lines marked on the wall with her actual height and her "goal" height. She's been growing, we don't go until August, and that's barefoot so shoes will add a bit more, so here's hoping!

mudpuppysmom
01-15-2008, 09:50 AM
We have had this height issue going on at our house for a few years now. When we started taking DS to Disney he was 3 and 40" so he could ride a bunch of things --which was good in a way, but also bad. His cousins kept telling him he was tall enough to ride BTMRR and I said it looked a bit wicked for a three year old. Well, it was a good thing I had my arm around him because he kept flying up in the seat!! That trip he rode BTMRR once!

DS has been wanting to ride Prmeval Whirl since that same trip and I kept telling him that he was not tall enough. Every single trip we have taken since then he goes up to the measuring stick and as we approach the CM tells him he's not tall enough but DS responds "I want to see how much more I have to grow"....and the CM just tells him "you are NOT tall enough"....I tell them to just humor him, I know he's not tall enough and I get the :rolleyes: look from the CM (hey, the kid is not tall enough, I know that.....just let him understand he needs to be tall enough.....and he knows he has to hit the bar to be tall enough!!).

Anyway, sometimes kids might be tall enough, but are they READY to ride some of these rides?!?!? Sure DS is now tall enough to ride RnRC, but I don't think he has the muscle strength in his neck to handle it -- he IS only 5 years old and does he really NEED to go on RnRC??/ There are other rides he wants to go on too, but we still tell him no because we do not feel he is physically ready yet. We'll go back another time and he can do it when I feel he's ready physically.

Not flaming anyone for their choices, but for me my DS's safety is paramount. His having a temper tantrum b/c I say no to something will only last a minute or two, but that to me is worth it.

bigbabyblues
01-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I feel your pain!!!

My 3-yo (turned 4 at the end of our trip) was 39-3/4 inches last May. He wanted so badly to ride Splash and Big Thunder (the train ride, lol) that he could taste it. He walked up to the CM at Splash and said, "I'm big enough to ride" while nodding his head, I felt so bad for the CM. He was nice about it, told him he was sorry and gave him a string of stickers, and poor DS started sobbing uncontrollably. We had told him beforehand that he might not get to ride, but his heart was broken. I felt bad for him, but what can you do???

He walked up to the measuring stick each time, and we tried to warn him, but he wanted to see it for himself.

He was allowed to ride Star Tours, they didn't even check him, just waved them on through when he asked if he was big enough. DH took DS6 first and said they didn't even look at him, so he took DS3. He HATED it!!!

Anyway, no point to this except you aren't alone. It is hard to watch them be upset, but it's for safety.

grwoolf
01-16-2008, 12:25 AM
I'm not sure what the exact rules are, but they always measure the riders with their shoes on (except in the water parks). This leads me to believe that the height limits are determined with consideration for the fact that people are wearing reasonable shoes (with an acceptable safety margin built in). Unless there are specific heel thickness limitations, I guess it is a judgement call by the CM to determine what shoes are reasonable. When my son was just under 48, we always made a point to have him in his brand new thick-heeled tennis shoes to get on certain rides and it was never an issue. If your child is 39+ or 47+ without shoes and wants to ride, I think you would be crazy not to let them if they can reach the height limits with reasonable shoes. I don't see how this is cheating the system or jeopordizing safety when the system is set up to measure rider height with shoes on.

Main Street Jim
01-16-2008, 07:47 AM
I have to agree with most of the posters here. It really is a safety issue for your children, and it's the way the ride vehicles are designed.

I was out at Space Mountain greeter the other day, and watched a child start crying because he wasn't tall enough to ride, by like more than half an inch. The father thanked *me* for "ruining their vacation"...LOLOL

So anyways...the question was posed, "Your child may be tall enough for the 'big' rides, but are they really *ready*?" That's a question only the parent(s) can answer. My three kids are now 18, 16, and 10. My oldest DD made her first visit here at three months, and had been coming here with me for the five or six years we had moved back down here. Her first "big" ride was Splash Mountain at six years old. Yep, she was certainly tall enough, but were we sure she was ready? We stood on the bridge out front for a few minutes watching the logs come down the flume, and we explained to her that "it might be a lil scary!" Took her through the line, explained the ride to her, what to expect, etc. She was still a little apprehensive going through the first two lifts, and then we hit that first drop into Chick-a-pin Hill. She hung on for dear life(!) understandably, but after that up until we climbed the big hill, she was fine. We told her that this was "the big drop" coming up, and we held onto her as we crested the hill. The look on her face in the photo was *pricelss*! After that, all three of my kids became "thrill ride junkies", but still love the small stuff. My youngest's first thrill ride, believe it or not, was ToT...LOLOL...same thing. The other two had been on it a few times, and told her what to expect. Now keep in mind, this was back when ToT still had the lap bars. We had this pretty big guy in our row, so the lap bar didn't quite keep her down in the seat...she got some SERIOUS air time...and LOVED every second of it!

Point is...only *you* as the parent(s) know if your child is really ready for those rides, even if they *are* tall enough.

I *still* can't get my 18yo DD on Astro Orbiter....LOLOLOL

linedropper
01-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Once again great input, I guess I hate to admit it but wanting him to be 40 inches is out of selfishness to. So we can all ride together and not child swap all day! But since my DS is only 2 3/4(big for his age) He honestly has not expressed interest in riding the rides. He might once we get there but I think he will be content with what he can ride. Guess it is just DD being selfish! But Don't be confused, I want him to be safe!

2 sleeps till DW!

Ian
01-16-2008, 08:49 AM
I saw a good point someone here made about making sure your DS stands up nice and straight ... that's solid advice.

The one and only time I got into it with a CM about the height restrictions was at Goofy's Barnstormer. My DD was about 38 1/4" tall at the time (she had just been measured at the doctor's, so I knew exactly how tall she was), but when we got to the CM with the measuring stick I was carrying her and I guess the CM thought I was trying to put one over on her or something.

I could tell right away she had a chip on her shoulder, because she basically demanded (it was her tone) that I put DD down to be measured. I quickly complied and put her down on the ground. The CM immediately swung the height indicator over her head and said, "She's not tall enough she can't ride."

Well look ... DD was like 3 at the time ... you plunk a 3YO down on the ground and they don't hit standing straight up! So I politely asked the CM if she would measure her again, this time with my DD standing straight up. I pointed out that she was obviously slouching down and also mentioned that she had just been measured at the doctor's and I knew she was over 38".

Well the CM flew off the handle ... she accused me of trying to circumvent the safety rules and basically threw me out of the line ("You'll need to leave now ... you're holding up the line!").

So the moral of the story is ... let your DS walk up to the line and make sure you help him to stand up straight and tall the first time around. ;)

Mackflava99
01-16-2008, 09:34 AM
This discussion disturbs me a little.
Even if it is a half inch- Do you really want to be the parent listed in the newspaper when something happens due to your negligence?
I say that because the CMs are there to check and validate, but if a parent is aware that they don't meet the requirements, why do you even try? I know kids get upset and we don't ever want to see them upset- but what's the downside? I see parents try to sneak kids on all the time.
I have identicle twins, they are about 1/2 and inch different in height. On one trip, one was a half inch too small, and she couldn't go on some rides. yes she was sad, and i felt bad for her, but i did not try to sneak her bye. I could never forgive myself if something happened because of that. We decided as a family we would wait until we could all go.
Do you let them drive 1/2 a year earlier than they should? Do you let them drink a year earlier than they should? Do you let them see R-Rated movies a year earlier than they should?
I think as parents we have an obligation to do the right thing.

We are risking too much by trying to sneak past a rule just for the sake of making our children happy. there are thousands of other ways, and there is always next time.
When i see a comment like " it ruins our day" ? i cringe because do you really think that if something would happen then you would feel foolish for thinking that.....

Jeri
01-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Before we went last October I had a magazine with a cute Disney World growth cart in it . It is real neat with pictures of kids and rides and of course measurments . It shows which rides you can ride next to the height you are required to be.
We would measure my 4yr once in a while and he would stand real tall so he knew how to do that before hand. When we got to Disney he knew they would measure him and we told him if Disney says no the he would have to wait.

He was so excited to be measured at each ride, and it was so cute because he was between 41 and 42 inches so he wouldn't fit under the stick so he would crouch down so he would fit. He knew he wasn't tall enough for all the bigger rides but he still liked to go check. We would just all walk up to get a baby swap pass and he would check himself and then tell the cast member "I can't ride this till I eat more food and grow.":thumbsup:
Now he keeps checking his height because when we go back in 2009 (hopefully) he wants to be tall enough to ride Expedition Everest.

Just prepare them a head of time that if the cast member says no then that is the final answer.

DANAM
01-17-2008, 01:43 PM
I am not sure if this is true for every ride but my son was 39 1/2 inches with no shoes on. He was at the doctors with 105 fever the day before the trip. So we went to the shoe store and found the ones that he was the tallest in. Which was just about 40". When he was measured he was about 2 or 3 inches under the stick. I was sick about this. We got him on 2 or 3 rides but most we had to baby swap.
It actually worked out great. When I got home I got on to tell others about out trip and someone said how they add inches for shoes so this is why he couldn't get on. I will say this, some CM where really nice about it and told him the stand up really tall. My son didn't really get this until we where at the end of the trip so I suggest if the are 40" exactly make sure you practice standing up straight and tall or they may not be able to ride.
I will say I do think it is a safety concern on most rides.

DisneyDog
01-18-2008, 11:59 AM
I saw on an online list that the height for Tomorrowland Speedway is 52 inches. Is that if the child is the driver? Can a child be a passenger at less than 52 inches? My DS5 was just measured at 45 inches and would love to be a passenger on the speedway.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
01-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I saw on an online list that the height for Tomorrowland Speedway is 52 inches. Is that if the child is the driver? Can a child be a passenger at less than 52 inches? My DS5 was just measured at 45 inches and would love to be a passenger on the speedway.

Yes, I believe that is to drive. My DD has sat passenger for the past two years and she was only 40" when we were there last.
Both of my boys drove alone and they are over 52".

Have fun!!

Main Street Jim
01-19-2008, 07:22 AM
I saw on an online list that the height for Tomorrowland Speedway is 52 inches. Is that if the child is the driver? Can a child be a passenger at less than 52 inches? My DS5 was just measured at 45 inches and would love to be a passenger on the speedwayThat 52" height "requirement" at the Speedway is to drive a car alone. Any child can ride - and drive! - with a parent or "tall person" riding in the car with them to work the pedals ;):thumbsup:

Goes4FastPass
01-20-2008, 01:52 PM
If this wasn't said clearly enough earlier, a 3 YO child might find many of the 40" height rides terrifying.

I believe in encouranging hesitant children, explaing what to expect during and while on the ride then congratulating them after the ride, but,

I once told a 6 YO after ToT, "Wow! You did Great! You were so brave! Let's get a Tower of Terror pin so we can remember your first ride!" Her answer was, "Oh yeah? Well, YOU almost got peed on! I hated it"

kakn7294
01-20-2008, 02:24 PM
That 52" height "requirement" at the Speedway is to drive a car alone. Any child can ride - and drive! - with a parent or "tall person" riding in the car with them to work the pedals ;):thumbsup:Yeah, Megan drove last year - and she's nowhere near 52". I worked the pedals and had to help her steer (some of those steering wheels are pretty stiff!), but she was in the driver's seat. I never realized that she was allowed to drive if I helped her until this past trip. And now I know I'm going to need sedatives when she gets to drive for real!

DisneyDog
01-21-2008, 01:20 PM
My DS almost impaled several people with a shopping cart at Target yesterday. :blush: I can't imagine him behind the wheel of a racecar!! Ha ha. :mickey: