PDA

View Full Version : School is cancelled???

crazypoohbear
01-13-2008, 10:48 PM
It's Sunday night, I'm getting the kids school clothes ready for morning and I'm watching Amazing race while talking on the phone with a friend. Then I see it.... School closings for MONDAY??!!!!
It's not even snowing out and already the Boston area has tons of cancelations for tomorrow
Oh oh, now the kids see it. They are dancing and high fiving each other. :high5: The person I'm on the phone with doesn't believe me, :jaw:He tells his son to put on channel 4. They see it... same thing yelling and cheering.
Where is the snow?? :shrug::shrug:
Isn't it a little premature given that the weather persons have been wrong in the past!?
Oh well, guess they are sleeping in regardless of it the "storm goes out to sea"
Hope everyone has a happy monday :mickey:

conorsmom2000
01-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Our school district has gotten burned by doing that in the past (well, the kids were happy! :D ) so now it takes a lot of snow for them to close! But, other districts around us have already closed or posted delayed openings. But, I already heard on the news that "things have changed" so I'm not quite sure what that means!

We've had nothing but rain here, so far, though it was supposed to start snowing around 9. So, we'll see! We do a "snow chain" in our school (because I guess not everyone checks the TV or school website) so if school closes, I'll get a call from the principal at 5:30 am, then I'll have to call all the class parents! :sleepin:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-13-2008, 11:34 PM
They kinda do the same thing with us down here, cept not for snow, obviously. We get those good ole hurricane days (haven't had one in 2 years though...). But 9 times out of 10 they cancel the day before or so and tell us the thing is comin right for us and then the day it is cancelled is one of the most gorgeous days we have ever seen: light breeze, sunny, just enough clouds to keep the sun from beating us... nuts.

RedheadWriter
01-13-2008, 11:57 PM
CrazyPoohBear: gotta know if you are in Masachusetts or RI? My mother just told me that schools were cxed in RI, too. They want to avoid the mess that hapened when we got out first snow storm.

conorsmom2000
01-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Well, it's a good thing they didn't cancel school here! We woke up to find out.....we barely got a dusting of snow!! I am going to have one disappointed 7 year old on my hands soon! :( :blush:

crazypoohbear
01-14-2008, 08:17 AM
RedheadWriter CrazyPoohBear: gotta know if you are in Massachusetts or RI? My mother just told me that schools were cxed in RI, too. They want to avoid the mess that happened when we got out first snow storm.
Massachusetts

Well, at least it's snowing now!.;)
The kids are still in bed.
But... I just woke up oldest DS to go snow-blow, I have a doctors appointment so so much for sleeping the day away!

Right now they are saying we could get one foot.

I still don't like the cancelling the day ahead of time. Too many things could change

I use to love waking up and looking out the window and listening... WAY back in the day my hometown use to sound the fire horn to let us know if school was cancelled!

Jeff
01-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Schools are in a no win situation on days when a Winter Storm Warning is posted.

Many parents like to know of cancellations as early as possible to work out day care options.
Others, with no day care concerns, would rather schools wait and see.

Better to error on the side of caution and safety. IMHO.

KAT1811
01-14-2008, 09:05 AM
CrazyPoohBear: gotta know if you are in Masachusetts or RI? My mother just told me that schools were cxed in RI, too. They want to avoid the mess that hapened when we got out first snow storm.

I know that RI is still sorting out the mess from the first storm. Because the snow fell so fast and furious with the first storm the schools couldn't get the children home fast enough. One school bus didn't get the children home until 11:00pm that night. Everyone is still in an uproar awaiting answers as to why. The general consensus is that they were not going to be taking any chances with storms going forward. Thank heavens that DH and I transport DD to and forth school! The traffic was a flashback from the Blizzard of 78.

Most cities here dismiss highschool, then junior highschool, then elementary school.