PDA

View Full Version : Wonders of Life

Nj genie
01-13-2008, 10:11 PM
It seems everytime we're in Epcot , this pavillion is closed, does anyone know when it will be closed this year?

BMan62
01-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Wonders of Life is done. The building is being used for staging area for things like the Food and Wine Festival, but there are no more shows in it at all.

Nj genie
01-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Was Body Wars and Cranium Command moved or shut down?

jszczur5
01-14-2008, 12:02 AM
It seems everytime we're in Epcot , this pavillion is closed, does anyone know when it will be closed this year?

My guess is everyday - all year. They have taken down the DNA helix signage outside, and basically mothballed the attractions. As BMan62 has said, it is being used as a staging area for special events. No more "The Making of Me", or Body Wars, or Cranium Command. My sons have been to Disney 4 times in the last 5 years, and have never been able to experience the WoL pavilion. And never will.
If they ever end up moving CoP out of MK Tomorrowland, this would be the perfect area for it. I would really protest the complete loss of CoP, even to the point of a boycott.

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
01-14-2008, 09:40 AM
This still makes me sad..on my first trip, the place I loved the most in all of WDW was Wonders of Life..can't explain why

Then I heard it wouldn't be there for long, and was lucky that it was open on Christmas day in 2006 to see it all for one last time. Then last month I saw it without the DNA helix, without the signs and not even a sign that said "Closed"...nothing..just some bushes in the walkway. It made me so sad :(

But the memory will live on :mickey:

DizneyRox
01-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Everyday this year...

Duchess99
01-14-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm really disappointed that this pavilion was never brought back to life. It had great attractions and activities. The food court, Pure & Simple, was also a nice healthy option. Sad to see it go :crying:

JPL
01-14-2008, 01:04 PM
This is where having attraction sponsors really can hurt the parks. After Metlife left as a sponsor the Pavillion went seasonal and since they couldn't find another sponsor it went to Christmas Season only and now finally it's gone.

jszczur5
01-14-2008, 05:33 PM
This is where having attraction sponsors really can hurt the parks. After Metlife left as a sponsor the Pavillion went seasonal and since they couldn't find another sponsor it went to Christmas Season only and now finally it's gone.

Not every ride needs a sponsor. I'm sure Disney could afford to foot the bill to restore/refurbish and reopen this classic.

NJ Camper
01-14-2008, 05:43 PM
We found the same just bushes blocking the entrance it is a shame we always loved WOL it will be missed only left in our memories:(

bfbulldog
01-15-2008, 10:48 AM
I heard that WOL would be re-opening along with River Country, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Skyway and Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

Sorry to say but just like all these other long gone attractions so goes WOL

joonyer
01-15-2008, 12:46 PM
I hated to see WoL close. IMO Cranium Command was the best "unknown" attraction at WDW. It's too bad they couldn't find a way to keep it open. Well OK, they could have if they wanted too, so I should say too bad they wouldn't keep it open.

KylesMom
01-15-2008, 01:46 PM
I found it interesting that on the new Disney Moms' site that one of the moderators gave the answer that WoL was still open seasonally. Until Disney decides what to do with the space, I guess that's their official stance on this attraction. :(

DizneyRox
01-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I found it interesting that on the new Disney Moms' site that one of the moderators gave the answer that WoL was still open seasonally. Until Disney decides what to do with the space, I guess that's their official stance on this attraction. :(
Correct, the company line is all you'll hear...

Figgyluv03
01-17-2008, 12:32 PM
It is still listed open seasonally due to the Food and Wine festival. They hold events in there during the festival when they need the space. However, none of the actual attractions are open.

DizneyRox
01-17-2008, 07:11 PM
It is still listed open seasonally due to the Food and Wine festival. They hold events in there during the festival when they need the space. However, none of the actual attractions are open.
In that case, The Odyssey should be listed as seasonal as well as Millenium Village.

JPL
01-18-2008, 04:23 AM
Listed as open seasonally does 2 things

1. Gives them option to open it if needed.
2. Keeps Customer Complaints to a minimum.

But what it basically translates into is we don't want to spend any money to maintain/update or staff the attraction.

Polynesian Dweller
01-18-2008, 09:06 AM
I know its easy to say that Disney "could" have kept WOL open, or any other place that loses a sponsor, but the one thing I've always wondered about is how much of the attraction's content is owned by the sponsor. What I mean is, the sponsor and Disney have a contract which lays out all kinds of things and do some of the rides etc. actually become joint property of the two companies and it would take mutual consent to keep them running.

Since we never see these contracts we can't know for sure but if I was a sponsor company, I would take some control so that something that has had my name attached to it can't be used without my consent and perhaps payment. All about potential image protection.

DisFan01
01-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Listed as open seasonally does 2 things

1. Gives them option to open it if needed.
2. Keeps Customer Complaints to a minimum.

But what it basically translates into is we don't want to spend any money to maintain/update or staff the attraction.

I agree. I really loved Crainum Command, and I hate to see it go. :(

Figgyluv03
01-18-2008, 12:16 PM
With everyone so rapped up in eating right and trying to get fit and all these amounts of diets. You think Disney would want to stick with the trends. My personal favs were the the stationary bike things that you could ride though Magic Kingdom and different spots around Disney. I loved those.

Ian
01-18-2008, 01:30 PM
I know its easy to say that Disney "could" have kept WOL open, or any other place that loses a sponsor, but the one thing I've always wondered about is how much of the attraction's content is owned by the sponsor. What I mean is, the sponsor and Disney have a contract which lays out all kinds of things and do some of the rides etc. actually become joint property of the two companies and it would take mutual consent to keep them running.

Since we never see these contracts we can't know for sure but if I was a sponsor company, I would take some control so that something that has had my name attached to it can't be used without my consent and perhaps payment. All about potential image protection.Okay, while that might be true, what would prevent Disney from scrapping everything in the pavilion and building something new on their own? It's not like Met Life owns the rights to that building in perpetuity and they'll never be able to put anything in there again.

Don't fool yourself ... it's money, plain and simple. They don't want to be bothered spending the cash to open the pavilion up again, despite the fact that the lack of even halfway decent FW attractions causes the lines at Soarin' to be ridiculously long.

Polynesian Dweller
01-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Okay, while that might be true, what would prevent Disney from scrapping everything in the pavilion and building something new on their own? It's not like Met Life owns the rights to that building in perpetuity and they'll never be able to put anything in there again.

Don't fool yourself ... it's money, plain and simple. They don't want to be bothered spending the cash to open the pavilion up again, despite the fact that the lack of even halfway decent FW attractions causes the lines at Soarin' to be ridiculously long.

Don't disagree and wasn't commenting about that, just why the current WOL wasn't reopening and the rides etc that were part of the Metlife era.

So, I'm not fooling myself at all. Of course its about money. But I can also see Disney's perspective. They want sponsors money and part of that is giving a sponsor what they (the sponsor) wants in the pavillion. You can't do that until you know who the sponsor is. Also, until long lines stop people from coming to the parks they won't be concerned about that and it won't be a business reason for new attractions.

I also have not problem with Disney doing things for money. Disney is a business, the business of fantasy and entertainment, but still a business first.