PDA

View Full Version : Cooking at Fort Wilderness

Not2Loud
01-13-2008, 03:30 PM
We are doing are normal week long trip to FW in March.

Typically we cook dinner a few nights while there. Our meals typically include spaghetti, chili, hamburgers/dogs, steaks, etc.

I would love to hear some ideas on what others fix for dinner when at the cabin?

TheMartellFamily
01-13-2008, 03:48 PM
fajitas meat with taco chips (doritos) and the fixings. crock pot chicken. I like to cook in the crock pot because we put it in when we go and when we return it is ready. things we can grill to which are fast like pork chops, hamburgers, hotdogs, we also like beef sandwhiches with cheese and au jus sauce on french rolls. The beef sandwhiches only take a total of 5 minutes to make for we get sliced roast beef from the deli and dip it in the au jus. We make all meals very simple and easy to clean up.

LCPZA
01-13-2008, 04:05 PM
WE cook that same stuff. We try to cook meals that we can eat leftovers the next night or for a little snack if we need it. HOwever its getting old on vacation. This time we are looking to cook other food at night when we get back from the parks are just reheat it the next night for dinner. We are planning on cooking a roast, meatloaf, baked pork, pasta salad. I will let you know how it goes when I get back at the end of the month.

Not2Loud
01-13-2008, 04:59 PM
All sounds good. While I do love the restaurants at WDW, sometimes I just don't feel like being in one. We always have a great time eating dinner together on the porch whether its just us or we have family in the cabin next door too!

LONESTAR
01-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Boil a couple links of sausage 15-20 min. wrap some bread around it and you good to go.

Mrs.Mya
01-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Boil a couple links of sausage 15-20 min. wrap some bread around it and you good to go.

LOL I love it - the easier and less messy, the better !! :thumbsup:

SoaringEpcot
01-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Brown some ribs on the grill, put them in a crock pot with 1 sliced onion and a bottle of bbq sauce, cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. One of our favorites, also do everything mentioned hear. Another of our favorite is Low country boil(frogmore stew), combine potatoes, corn, sausage, shrimp and old bay for a excelent meal.

NJ Camper
01-14-2008, 06:15 PM
we have found that we are having no choice but to make meals if you don't do adr's you can't get in places we use to just eat in the parks when there in nov. this year we couldn't get reservations til 9:00-10:00 pm lots of nights confused if you didn't book in advance we always use to have no problems in early dec. or after the holidays in jan.or feb. we have found when it use to be slower now is getting busier we have to cook or go outside to find a place to walk in and eat we don't like to have to plan our whole day just fly by the seat of our pants but i guess that will have to change :confused:

HulaMinnie
02-12-2008, 02:40 PM
That's true, NJ Camper, we have also found it's just too busy anymore not to make the adr's.

As for what to cook in the cabins: a roll of the refrigerated pizza dough, a small jar of sauce and a package of the shredded mozzarella cheese for pizza that the kids like better than the pizza that's available there. Grocery store rotisserie chicken and deli beans, potato salad, etc. for an easy no-cook meal. I've put steak or chicken breasts in a zippered freezer bag along with a some italian dressing and let it marinate in the refrigerator while we're gone during the day, then have it on the grill. Some bagged salad and frozen garlic bread are easy sides with that.

I like the crock pot suggestion, I'll have to think about that for our next visit.

Dopey_Duc
02-20-2008, 11:18 AM
We always take our crock pot, put in a roast or chicken with veggies, or even chili fixin's and leave it on low all day while at the parks all day. When we come back, we have a nice warm meal ready.

I also cook a few casseroles at home before we leave for Disney... lasagna, chicken, etc... and freeze them. On our travels down, we just keep them in the RV fridge, or a large cooler and they usually stay completely frozen (If I'm storing in a cooler, I do move them over to the freezer/fridge as soon as we are there). Since they're already cooked, when we come back from a long day at the parks, we just place them either in microwave or oven and in no time... a meal is ready.

Before leaving for Disney, I also go ahead and brown about 10lbs of ground sirloin... I separate it into smaller portions and freeze in freezer bags, while driving down I put them cooler or fridge, same as with casseroles. When we're at FW, I just reheat in microwave, add appropriate sauce and we can have spaghetti, tacos, or sloppy joes in an instant.

SFTrny
04-15-2008, 12:43 PM
We have to fly to WDW so we can't bring a lot with us for cooking. We make our shopping runs when we get there, but we don't want to overbuy and waste food...and we don't want to buy full size packages of some things that we know we won't use up in a week - like spices. If you have a World Market nearby, they often have small size items like Tobasco, etc. We've also picked up condiments from [link removed per Intercot's terms of service] I love to cook, so I have saved a collection of small spice bottles that I fill with spice mixes just for the trip - enough for the week. My wife is always on the lookout for these sorts of things and recently came home with a free "trial-size" envelope of Old Bay Seasoning from the grocery. She went back later in the week and grabbed another - and now both are in our FW Kitchen Kit for our next trip.

CU Tiger
04-16-2008, 12:46 PM
This is not really cooking, but if you go to the HDDR, ask for a to-go box and you can take your entire table’s left-over’s home with you. You can always try to order extra before the deserts come out:thedolls:. The chicken and ribs reheat well!!:mickey:

joonyer
04-16-2008, 01:36 PM
We usually cook a crock pot meal or two whenever we go camping. It's great for stews, soups, roasts, etc. One thing I love to slow cook is Cabbage, sausage and potatoes. YUM. But I'd also recommend getting a good crock pot cookbook. You'd be surprised at all the different kinds meals you can make in a slow cooker. Casseroles, Lasagna, even breakfasts (if the aroma doesn't keep you awake all night). Here's a breakfast recipe I like:

Ingredients: (This is enough for about 10 people, or less with leftovers)

32 ounces frozen hash browns
1 pound cooked ham cubed (or you can substitute sausage)
1 onion diced
1 green pepper diced
1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (you can mix several types)
12 eggs
1 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions: Divide potatoes, ham (or sausage), veggies and cheese so you can create several layers of each in the slow cooker.
Start with the hash browns, then add ham/sausage, onions, peppers and lastly the cheese. Repeat until you have several layers. Beat eggs, milk salt & pepper pour over layers in the slow cooker cover and turn on low.

Cook for 10-12 hours overnight. Delicious!

teambricker04
04-16-2008, 04:13 PM
We usually cook a crock pot meal or two whenever we go camping. It's great for stews, soups, roasts, etc. One thing I love to slow cook is Cabbage, sausage and potatoes. YUM. But I'd also recommend getting a good crock pot cookbook. You'd be surprised at all the different kinds meals you can make in a slow cooker. Casseroles, Lasagna, even breakfasts (if the aroma doesn't keep you awake all night). Here's a breakfast recipe I like:

Ingredients: (This is enough for about 10 people, or less with leftovers)

32 ounces frozen hash browns
1 pound cooked ham cubed (or you can substitute sausage)
1 onion diced
1 green pepper diced
1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (you can mix several types)
12 eggs
1 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions: Divide potatoes, ham (or sausage), veggies and cheese so you can create several layers of each in the slow cooker.
Start with the hash browns, then add ham/sausage, onions, peppers and lastly the cheese. Repeat until you have several layers. Beat eggs, milk salt & pepper pour over layers in the slow cooker cover and turn on low.

Cook for 10-12 hours overnight. Delicious!

This sounds GREAT! I never thought about doing breakfast in a slow cooker before! I am totally saving this and using it sometime soon at HOME! It sounds YUMMY!

joonyer
04-17-2008, 03:40 PM
The great thing about cooking breakfast overnight, especially if you are camping at FW is breakfast is READY to eat when you get up. We are always in a hurry to get to the parks, so this way you can just make some coffee, eat, and leave everything to clean up later. No waiting for breakfast to cook when you get up.

casey@bat
04-24-2008, 10:49 PM
This sounds GREAT! I never thought about doing breakfast in a slow cooker before! I am totally saving this and using it sometime soon at HOME! It sounds YUMMY!

ME TOO!

I just printed the recipe!

jonahbear2006
06-07-2008, 08:53 PM
I pre-measure out enough bisquit for pancakes and use a sharpie on the ziploc bag what to mix in, so we can make pancakes. I also take a few frozen orange juices in freezer bags and it helps keep the cooler cool, along with frozen meat in freezer bags. We tend to buy frozen loose soy though, instead of beef. This works great for sloppy joes; no one will know the difference, and it also fights cancer. It is less fickle when the temp. isn't completely controlled. velveeta mac and cheese is easy, since it doesn't require mixing and the kids love this, in conjunction with some hot dogs and baked beans. We take one night and go to the Campfire and cook hot dogs there, so we can watch the movie and listen to the songs and see chip and dale. We also pack a few twelve packs of 20oz sodas and that way we have lots of drink that doesn't get trumped by park drinks.

Not2Loud
07-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Its fun to see this thread still alive, albeit the last post was a while back.

Its nice to see I am not the only one that cooks while at Fort Wilderness. In some ways, its nice to eat out every single meal while we are there.

90% of our breakfasts are in the cabin.

When we were there in March, we did the typical meals, but the most fun was the burger cookout

I like my burgers a bit off from ordinary, so I smoked them this time with apple chips. The smell outside was great and we had several people stop by and ask us what were cooking. Being the person I am, I had way too many burgers, so we ended up sharing with a family that had just gotten off the bus after a grueling day at the park (had rained off and on all day). They were blown away that we would share with strangers....but the more the merrier is my approach. Made some new friends over a good meal!

Camping Mom
07-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Apple chips, huh? Never heard of it, but sounds good.

TheMartellFamily
07-27-2008, 02:42 PM
I think it is the wood from an apple tree. I have also heard of using cherry tree wood to grill with or even pear tree wood.

Not2Loud
07-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Ya, most grocery stores are carrying various type of wood chips now. Having the apple wood smoke flavor with a good sharp cheddar on the burgers is great!

GloMonkey
08-20-2008, 02:47 PM

You can also do a baked oatmeal overnight. You use STEEL CUT oatmeal and mix it with milk and raisins etc. It tastes like pudding in the morning WONDERFUL. Got it off the food network under "croc pot oatmeal" from Good Eats.

SFTrny
08-20-2008, 09:11 PM
We've done oatmeal from Goods Eats as well! Alton Brown RULES! (maybe he'll do a Disney special)

We've also used several similar recipies for a hearty breakfast casserole that uses frozen has browns, eggs, ham, cheese, and onion & peppers to varying degrees. These are easy to prepare and cook...and reheat VERY easily.