PDA

View Full Version : But how do you entertain 2 yr olds in line?

KatGat
01-13-2008, 09:27 AM
With a 2 1/2 yr old, how do you keep them in line and relatively happy while waiting? Patience is not exactly a virtue at this age. We are equipped with stickers, snacks, mini-bubbles (and maybe a balloon or two). Any other ideas?

BigRedDad
01-13-2008, 11:03 AM
I am looking for ideas also. I will be there in 76 days with my 2yo DD. She has the patience of about 10 minutes. With the SB crowds, I think we will be doing as many attractions as possible early, pool and nap around lunch, and shows/parades in the afternoons.

T_I_Double Guh_Err
01-13-2008, 12:51 PM
I have a nephew just a little over that age. I think your best bet it to give him toys, or on some of the rides, they have lots of scences and pictures of the charaters that are in the ride. He really paid attention to those and just loved to look at them! Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Taja
01-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Engage them in examining their surroundings in more detail. What shape is the clock face in IASW? What colour is... Oh, and look at...!

You get the idea. You--or another adult--will need to hold the child at least some of the time so he/she actually can see something besides the knees of other adults! Not a total solution, but it can be part of it!

teambricker04
01-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Engage them in examining their surroundings in more detail. What shape is the clock face in IASW? What colour is... Oh, and look at...!

You get the idea. You--or another adult--will need to hold the child at least some of the time so he/she actually can see something besides the knees of other adults! Not a total solution, but it can be part of it!

I agree with this. Nothing worse than being eye to behind!

My DS#1 (Three next week!) usually ends up talking to the people around him, but he is a people person. I never really brought stuff to play with in line, but I have been known to have a supply of snacks that are easy and not messy like fruit snacks and granola bars. I also can bribe him with suckers if he gets pretty testy, but I don't like to do that too much.

The worst was when he was about 18 months because he LOVED to run away and fit under all the ropes. Urg.

Oh, and we try not to stand in totally rediculously long lines. Like Peter Pan when it is an hour long. That's when we pass!

BelleCiavo
01-13-2008, 01:57 PM
I've never brought anything. As others have said we usually look at the queue, talk about it and the ride or something that we've done. I don't get into lines over 15, 20 minutes long; that's what Fast Pass is for, right? :mickey:

Karen

vamaggie
01-13-2008, 02:25 PM
I also agree that waiting in a line longer than about 15-20 mins with kids is insane. If we are in a line (and it is not moving) we try to find stuff (like I spy) or otherwise talk about the ride. When all else fails, we always have snacks at the ready. Try things like goldfish or Cheerios that you can dole out a few at a time--seems to not only control snack amts but also uses time. We tend not to do too much drinking in line because you know what goes in must come out! (and usually just when you are about to board the ride!)

beckylovestink
01-13-2008, 02:37 PM
I took my dd at 2 during the insane crowds. We did a lot of games of I-spy. I found that when I tired to give her candy and small toys she got crankier and wanted more. I don't know how but we survived an hour wait to see the princesses! I was long but sooo worth the wait to see the look on her face:) Hang in there...and try to have patience!

KatGat
01-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Well, at least others are in the same boat. Thanks for the encouragement. My DS was last at WDW when he was 18 months and it was VERY challenging. He's still a babe of few words and much action, but we're hoping that since he has a little bit more of an understanding now that we can distract him easier. I remember being totally exhuasted just trying to keep him in check in the Peter Pan line last year (the FPs were gone and we were wrapping up our day). We finally gave up and left.
I have high hope (and low expectations) this year, so maybe it will be less stressful.:crazy:

JMTStone
01-14-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm all for eye-spy. WDW seems to be the kind of place that TRIES to give the kids something to look at while they're in line. I've been to other theme parks where they don't try to engage people in the queue. Take Soarin' for example. Now that they have those games, its much easier to wait through.

Fast pass when you can. Fruit snacks. Eye-spy.

tinklover
01-14-2008, 11:34 AM

We did this in may withour 2 1/2 yr old and our 4 yr old. we also would sicuss some of teh rides we had already been on and what they wanted to go on next. we made it fun for them to stand in line. they also befriended a whole softball team in the POTC line and they even shared their pretzels with the team.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Luckily for me (esp as a single mom) I have NEVER had any issue with DD waiting in line. She knows that we have to wait and will wait for over an hour to ride what she wants to ride or wait for a character. She reminds me "we have to wait for our turn mommy." I am completely blessed... Whenever DD does get antsy at the store or something, I will give her a book or something that I usually have with me. I also have a mini clip board (about the size of a 4x6 photo) with a small pack of crayons and whatever paper I have... I tell her to draw various things that we see in the store... keeps her very occupied.

I agree with this. Nothing worse than being eye to behind!

My DS#1 (Three next week!) usually ends up talking to the people around him, but he is a people person. I never really brought stuff to play with in line, but I have been known to have a supply of snacks that are easy and not messy like fruit snacks and granola bars. I also can bribe him with suckers if he gets pretty testy, but I don't like to do that too much.

The worst was when he was about 18 months because he LOVED to run away and fit under all the ropes. Urg.

Oh, and we try not to stand in totally rediculously long lines. Like Peter Pan when it is an hour long. That's when we pass!

When is your DS's birthday??? My DD turns 3 this week! (18th)

robemcdo
01-14-2008, 01:10 PM
This is one of my beefs about the fastpass system.

When I first came to Disney, the lines were long, but managable, but more importantly, they were always moving. I remember my first experience on Thunder Mountain walking thru an endless queue, and just when I thought I was in the clear, I did a right turn and came across another huge line.

But the key thing was that the lines were always moving. Even during March Break that year, the most I ever waited was 45 minutes, and if we arrived early in the day, we got on a lot of rides.

Now with the fastpass sytem, you definitely have distinct classes of guests. Those that wait a little or not at all and those that wait a lot. Peter Pan is a horrible queue, and Soarin is the worst...you simply do not move.

My advice for those with young kids, is to a) get to the park at the opening...god knows your kids are up early anyway. And I don't mean 9:30 at the TTC...I mean on Main Street when they let you in. Hit Peter Pan, Snow White, Winnie the Pooh and Dumbo right off the bat.

b) Use your fastpasses wisely, and when lines become busy, try to stick to rides where the queues move. A long queue that moves steadily will keep your child occupied. You can't beat the Tomorrowland Transit Authority.

If you ge their early and are staying onsite...take a break in the afternoon...have a nap or a swim.

KatGat
01-14-2008, 02:34 PM
My advice for those with young kids, is to a) get to the park at the opening...god knows your kids are up early anyway. And I don't mean 9:30 at the TTC...I mean on Main Street when they let you in. Hit Peter Pan, Snow White, Winnie the Pooh and Dumbo right off the bat
I really like this advice. I'm going to print it out and keep it with me. I guess we've been in adult ride mode up until now and focused on the mountains, etc. We definitely need to chang our touring plan. (I know, I know, it's taken 2.5 yrs to get used to the fact that we have a baby at our 'mature' age...:D) THANKS!

Tick-Tock
01-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Please consider the guests around you in line and leave the bubbles in your bag until you have a clear space around you...I've been trapped behind kids blowing bubbles in line and it was not enjoyable.

thrillme
01-14-2008, 03:37 PM
I've never taken a child quite this young through long lines but...If you're able to gain "technology" on your side...there are several "personal sized" DVD players about the size of one of those Walkman CD players.

Also GAMEBOY has several young child orientated games regarding alphabets, Dora and they also have a few cartoons that will play on these. (I love the DS but this might be a little too easily damaged by a child that young)

A lot depends on your child. Mine liked movies and computers at a very young age (yes we had computer games geared for him at 18 months).

I know they also make a "tough" digital camera for kids. Your baby might enjoy snapping a few picts of Mom. With a routine of let's put it in the sack when we get on the ride. I know mine could play for an hour with a "fake" camera taking a ton of imaginary picts.

TBY2225
01-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Get there early, use fast pass, and most of all let the 2 year old lead! My son was 23 months when we went in September. I discovered some things with him that I had never seen before. He loved to just walk around and look at things. Play in Pooh's playful spot and the Laughin Place, or just watch and wave at Daddy and sister while watching them ride rides!

teambricker04
01-14-2008, 09:28 PM
When is your DS's birthday??? My DD turns 3 this week! (18th)

His is the 20th! He is very excited and told me he wants to be 9. What?!?!? Happy Bday to your DD!