PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain.... closing? changing?

**a_spoonful_of_sugar**
01-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Hey guys
just a quick query
ive heard rumours that Space Mountain will be closed throughout 2008 and opened again in the new year.
why is this? is it being refurbished? closed down? changed? :confused:

i really hope its not going to be closed
its such a classic ride :(

just give me a shout if you know whats going on there

cheers xx :thumbsup:

alpro2
01-13-2008, 08:21 AM
There has been talk of a refurbishment / modernization (to copy Disney Land) of Space Mountain for years. I do not believe a difinitive date has been announced as of yet.

wedway76
01-13-2008, 08:41 AM
I haven't heard anything about it closing, but I feel it could probably use some updating. I've seen a lot of people post that they like the SM in DLR a lot more, so updating WDW SM to look more like DLR SM probably isn't so bad.

scoot241
01-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Yeah, nothing official yet on closing dates. DLR's SM got a major overhaul and it's definitely for the better. I would love to see WDW's get the same treatment.

jaredkari
01-13-2008, 03:26 PM
On our trip this past week I overheard a CM talking to some other guest about Space Mountain. He didn't give any exact dates but he did say that the ride is being completely redone. New track, new cars, new everything....at least according to him. I don't know if this is true or not. It does make me a little sad to think it is going to be totally new but if you think about it SM is a roller coaster that has been used and worn down for over 30 years. Most roller coasters get a little time off each year for refurbs. So maybe it is time the Space Mountain we all love is retired. I have every confidence that the imagineers will come up with something as good if not better :mickey:

Lacy
01-14-2008, 12:40 AM
I would have said the same thing about it being a shame that it would have to be down so long and it is a classic as it is UNTIL I rode Disneyland's version. If they update the WDW version in a similar fashion, it will totally be worth the wait! All we had to say after riding Space at Disneyland was WOW!

biodtl
01-14-2008, 01:14 PM
I agree that it needs an update, but I will be so sad for DS if it's down in October, since it's his favorite.

broadway_chick72
01-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Hmm, do you all think it'll still be open in July of this year? I don't they'll close it down for a while right before their peak season!

dumbo ears
01-14-2008, 04:56 PM
There has been no definite times set for the refrbishment but im almost certain that its gonna be closed during most of 2008 for refurbishment. Ive heard their gonna make it like the space mountain in Disneyland.

MushuMulan
01-14-2008, 06:24 PM
As everyone has said above, it will be most likely be temporarily down for refurbishment. They are most likely going to make it like the one at DLR, which is to say, smoother tracks, equally fast coaster, music as you go, and some new track usage that they couldn't do back in the 70's.

You might think this will be sad that they're changing a classic ride, but really, I rode the refurbished one in and I thought it was great.

They say you can't beat the classics, but I think in this case it's an exception :thumbsup:.

DizneyFreak2002
01-14-2008, 06:27 PM
There are rumors that Space Mountain will be getting a major over haul... new track, new cars, new soundtrack.... Nothing has been confirmed by Disney, so take all the rumors with a grain of salt... That is, until Disney announces something...

broadway_chick72
01-14-2008, 06:28 PM
There has been no definite times set for the refrbishment but im almost certain that its gonna be closed during most of 2008 for refurbishment. Ive heard their gonna make it like the space mountain in Disneyland.

GRR! I hope that that's not true! They WOULDN'T have that ride closed during the summer, would they? That's a pretty famous ride down there that everyone loves.

kathiep
01-14-2008, 06:33 PM
I would have said the same thing about it being a shame that it would have to be down so long and it is a classic as it is UNTIL I rode Disneyland's version. If they update the WDW version in a similar fashion, it will totally be worth the wait! All we had to say after riding Space at Disneyland was WOW!

What makes Disneyland's so much better? :confused:

scoot241
01-14-2008, 06:56 PM
What makes Disneyland's so much better? :confused:

Complete darkness, a sound system in the cars, updated effects. You cannot see the track at all, and it really feels like you're flying through the stars.

It really does enhance the SM experience quite a bit.

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-14-2008, 07:35 PM
I would be happy if they would just smooth it out a little.
It has gotten sooooo bumpy and jerky over the years it just isn't as much fun as it used to be for me. :coaster:

Knighten1
01-14-2008, 07:40 PM
As long as it is not closed down during our vist(Jan 26-31)!!!!!:mad: seeing as it is our first trip to WDW...what with Splash Mountain and Spaceship Earth both being closed...hmmm.

SpaceMtn101
01-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Its not IF space will go down its WHEN
space is going to get a major rehab but just when they decide to put it down ... theres talk of june but that seems to be gweting pushed back a little. It will be down at least a yr or longer for them to really get it fixed...

in all honesty from working the ride it needs it BAD!!! and it will make it a lot easier on not only the cast members but also u as guests. There wont be as many 101s as there are now. I know some are disappointed cuz u like the ride but it will be so much better when ride wait time will be cut in half from not so many 101s

PrincessEmmasMommy
01-15-2008, 06:05 AM
GRR! I hope that that's not true! They WOULDN'T have that ride closed during the summer, would they? That's a pretty famous ride down there that everyone loves.

The closing during peak thing went out the door when HM was closed all summer last year. And SE in EPCOT closed in the beginning of July too. I don't think Peak matters anymore.
Jen