PDA

View Full Version : Removing Deluxe Dining Plan in 2009???

Schmiv
01-12-2008, 02:04 PM
I've been reading up on the Standard and DDP and I keep seeing info reagrding the DDP being removed for 2009. Is that really possible? Why would that happen? Don't you think it would be more likely for WDW to just cut back on the options like they did in the standard plan for 2007?

DizneyRox
01-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Hopefully enough people will not buy the program and Disney will abandon it. Cross your fingers!

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
01-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Hopefully enough people will not buy the program and Disney will abandon it. Cross your fingers!Do you have a specific issue with the Deluxe Dining Plan...or the Dining Plans in general? I'm fine with the Deluxe as long as they don't start giving it away for "free". That would not be a good thing for the signature restaurants.

DizneyRox
01-13-2008, 10:13 AM
The dining Plans are a headache in general.

I don't feel they offer any value. What they have succeeded in doing is making dining difficult for everyone. Those using it AND those not.

Because of the dining plans, I call regularly to make reservations for times I just might be able to vacation. I do this so that if I happen to be able to take that vacation I'll be able to eat. Yes, this takes table away from people who are really for real going. It's a no win situation for everyone. I also need to make several reservation because often park hours are not out before I have to make my dining choices.

It's just a mess in general, but you have to do what you have to do for number one these days.

wendy*darling
01-13-2008, 08:42 PM
I keep seeing info reagrding the DDP being removed for 2009. Is that really possible? Why would that happen? Don't you think it would be more likely for WDW to just cut back on the options like they did in the standard plan for 2007?
The Deluxe DDP is new for 2008. People have not expressed their opinions yet after actually using it- or not.
If it is not popular enough, they may abandon it.
If there are a lot of complaints, they may abandon or modify it.

The regular DDP has been modified each year so far. Emphasizing the difference between child and adult credits, removing the tip and appetizer are some examples. New items are being added or removed all of the time. And the restaurants that participate also change.

We're only 13 days into the Deluxe Plan- we just have to wait and see. :mickey:

robemcdo
01-14-2008, 09:28 AM
The deluxe plan is a monster. I had the 2007 plan and getting through all the snacks and the CS and SD meals were difficult enough, not too mention the time it took to arrange your day around these meals. Plus I felt that no one really needed to eat like that every day. It's hard to fathom 3 sitdowns in one day. You'd be spending your whole day running from restaurant to restaurant, with barely enough time to make it to the bathroom, which may prove important with all that consumption. Throw in the inevitable nap that you will need, and your vacation has become one big all you can eat buffet.

I'd like to see the old plan back, bump up the price a bit and leave the gratuity in. The best thing about the dining plan is that it fixes your meal costs. No charges to the room, no need to carry my Costanza wallet around etc.

I personally will not get it in the current form. Perhaps that is disney's plan, as it will inevitably lessen the demand on restaurant space. I could not believe how difficult it was to get a reservation over XMAS.

SurferStitch
01-14-2008, 10:06 AM
The dining Plans are a headache in general.

I don't feel they offer any value. What they have succeeded in doing is making dining difficult for everyone. Those using it AND those not.

I did this huge Excel spreadsheet in 2006 when we stayed at Pop and used the DDP. Factoring in the cost of the room, the cost of the plan (we got the plan for just over 1/2 price), and the fact that we didn't change our dining habits one bit, we saved over $800 on the DDP (11 day trip, 10 day DDP). We would have saved around $500 had we paid full price for the DDP. It was a tremendous value for those staying at a value resort. Not that great for mods or deluxe guests (I ran those numbers, too).

Because of the dining plans, I call regularly to make reservations for times I just might be able to vacation. I do this so that if I happen to be able to take that vacation I'll be able to eat. Yes, this takes table away from people who are really for real going. It's a no win situation for everyone. I also need to make several reservation because often park hours are not out before I have to make my dining choices.

It's just a mess in general, but you have to do what you have to do for number one these days.

I'm sorry, but I hope I read this wrong. You take up ADR's for trips you don't even know if you'll take, and then make several ADR's for the same restaurant because you don't know park hours? Not only are you potentially taking ADR's away for a trip you may never take, but then you're taking multiple ADR's?

I've always been able to see the park hours for at least a week before I could make ADR's at the 180 day mark. Also, I take my chances (like many others here) and make a single dinner ADR for a particular date. If something changes, like park hours, I then change the ADR accordingly. Chances are, other than AK, the park won't close before a normal dinner time, so closing time really doesn't matter all that much.

I'm all about looking out for Number 1, but I don't do it at the unnecessary expense of others.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
01-14-2008, 10:18 AM
It's hard to fathom 3 sitdowns in one day.If we were to use this plan, we would plan on doing a character breakfast (or a sitdown lunch) per day and eat at signature restaurants each night (2 meals per day). We've looked at menus quickly and it appears you still save a bit of money doing it this way.

DizneyRox
01-14-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm sorry, but I hope I read this wrong. You take up ADR's for trips you don't even know if you'll take, and then make several ADR's for the same time restaurant because you don't know park hours? Not only are you potentially taking ADR's away for a trip you may never take, but then you're taking multiple ADR's?
You read that correctly... All within the rules of the systems in place. And as I see it, a side effect of the current incarnation of the dining plans and reservation systems.

robemcdo
01-14-2008, 10:41 AM
If we were to use this plan, we would plan on doing a character breakfast (or a sitdown lunch) per day and eat at signature restaurants each night (2 meals per day). We've looked at menus quickly and it appears you still save a bit of money doing it this way.

The signature restaurant is the probably the only way to go with the deluxe plan and still be able to fit in the clothes that you came with.

SignguyTom
01-14-2008, 11:13 AM

:down:

Within the rules. Nice.

Disneyatic
01-14-2008, 11:40 AM
To some people, dining at Walt Disney World is part of their vacation experience so 3 sit down meals a day would fit into their plan nicely.
I think that at the end of 2008 they will find that the deluxe plan had success. I also don't believe that the changes to the regular DDP this year are going to cause a decline in people purchasing it.
We purchase it strictly for convenience, I don't care if it saves us money or not :blush:
We seem to gravitate more towards the character meals and stuck with the regular plan for our trip this year.
But on past trips we normally end up booking 1 or 2 more meals than the plan allows and just paying OOP for them. We are trying HDDR this trip so we'll be paying OOP for that one!

Spaceship Tigger
01-15-2008, 08:11 AM
I also don't believe that the changes to the regular DDP this year are going to cause a decline in people purchasing it.
We purchase it strictly for convenience, I don't care if it saves us money or not :blush:

I think it will certainly cause a decline, at least if people here on Intercot are even slightly representative of the overall population. I disliked the plan before and only got it because it was free. There was typically no savings by paying for the plan if you were staying in a deluxe resort.

As far as convenience, I always thought it was more work to keep up with credits than to pay for meals out of pocket. And at TS meals we were usually paying for drinks or kids meals anyway, so it didn't really matter. Now with having to pay seperately for the tip that convenience is really gone.

lovedisneyworld
01-15-2008, 09:15 AM
You read that correctly... All within the rules of the systems in place. And as I see it, a side effect of the current incarnation of the dining plans and reservation systems.

Yes this is technically allowed within the system in place but if everyone did this, then eventually they will change the rules again for the DDP and probably make rules that we all will not like because some abuse the plan.

The point is this is really inconsiderate to other Disney fans when you do not even know if you are going on your trip. I could understand making ADRs if you know you are going.

I know in our society we think we always have to look out for number 1, but what happened to being respectful to one another?

Bohms4
01-15-2008, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=Spaceship Tigger;1517640]I think it will certainly cause a decline, at least if people here on Intercot are even slightly representative of the overall population. I disliked the plan before and only got it because it was free. There was typically no savings by paying for the plan if you were staying in a deluxe resort.

What am I missing here? Why wouldn't there be any savings with the dining plan if you stay in a deluxe resort?

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
01-15-2008, 10:12 AM
What am I missing here? Why wouldn't there be any savings with the dining plan if you stay in a deluxe resort?The Dining Plan is part of a package - a package where you pay rack rate for your rooms. The higher level of hotel you stay at (Values, Moderates, Deluxes), the less money you are actually saving with the plan.