PDA

View Full Version : Standard View at AKL

Bri
01-12-2008, 11:03 AM
hey all. we are staying at AKL in December. we are getting a standard room, hows the view? is it just the parking lot or can you get lucky and get a pretty decent view? not that we will be in the room much but i was just wondering about other experiences anyone has had in a standard room. thanks!

iheartdisney
01-12-2008, 05:30 PM
We were there at the beginning of Dec. and had booked 2 standard rooms. We wanted Savanna views but none were available. At check-in they were able to find one savanna view room so my DH, sons and I took that one and my in-laws took the "standard" view room. We were at polar opposites of the resort and with all the walking the last thing we wanted to do was check out their room (although we talked about it each day, then each day decided we'd check it out the next day!). Anyway, their room was a "standard" view but they said they saw animals every morning. They didn't view a parking lot but there was some construction. I wish we could remember the room number. All I remember is that is was on the left wing (if you're facing the big windows), ground floor, left side of the hallway and quite a hike away from the lobby. Hope this helps some!

Bri
01-12-2008, 10:06 PM
that does help, thanks!. so when you got there, you just asked if there were any savannah rooms available and they put you in one? did you have to pay for the upgrade? that would be cool if we could get a standard room like your in-laws!

Niecyboo
01-12-2008, 11:08 PM
On our trip to AKL we were booked with a standard view, and even though I hoped we could get upgraded, that is what we ended up with. Our room overlooked the parking lot, and every morning we could gaze out at the Fords, Chevies and Toyotas. :rotfl: It really didn't ruin anything for us though. From within the room, we could only see a tree and the horizon, and we still got the full effect of staying at AKL. Every morning when we left our room, we walked right past this giant window looking out onto the Savannah on our way to the lobby. When we wanted to see others animals, we just had fun exploring the public viewing areas of the resort. One day we even had a cast member take us from one viewing area to another, to show us the best places to see the animals. That was a highlight of the trip.

Mickey 101
01-13-2008, 12:59 AM
We have booked a standard room twice at AKL. The one room overlooked the bus loading areas along the circle drive in front. The parking lot of the resort is out a little ways, so I doubt any of the rooms overlook that. There was a problem with the room once we got up there, so we called down to the lobby and they upgraded us to a pool view. The next time we stayed, they did an automatic free upgrade once again to pool view. We didn't ask for it either time, but it was very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

iheartdisney
01-14-2008, 02:20 PM
that does help, thanks!. so when you got there, you just asked if there were any savannah rooms available and they put you in one? did you have to pay for the upgrade? that would be cool if we could get a standard room like your in-laws!

Yes. We booked with Magical Journeys and Deb checked and checked and checked again for a savanna room to open up. No luck! So, we figured it couldn't hurt to ask at check-in. We asked, there was only one available, and we were totally prepared to pay for the upgrade. And we did. But as someone mentioned, while it is awesome to be able to see animals from your room, there are PLENTY of opportunities to see them around the resort. One time, at the playground, my boys stood dumbstruck as a giraffe glided past so close it seemed as if we could touch him/her. It was awesome!

Good luck!

JMTStone
01-14-2008, 02:59 PM
We lucked out and got the Standard View above the pool. I think its the next best thing to a S view!!!