PDA

View Full Version : WDW Employment for non-CP alum?

DrivingSideways
01-11-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm close to completing my MPA degree with an emphasis in Human Resource Management and I'm looking to get an entry level position in HR. I love the idea of working at WDW, but have been looking at disneycareers.com and most of the entry level jobs have "CP alum preferred" or are at non-Orlando locations.

Am I wasting my time by even trying? Are there even jobs like this available for people like me?

I'm still in the early stages of planning, so I don't know a ton of specifics. Any help would be appreciated! :)

DizneyRox
01-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Your best bet is to move down towards WDW. You may nee dto start at the bottom, which means normal front line CM type positions.

Disney likes to promote from within, it helps keep costs down.

DrivingSideways
01-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Your best bet is to move down towards WDW. You may nee dto start at the bottom, which means normal front line CM type positions.

Disney likes to promote from within, it helps keep costs down.

I was afraid you'd say that. I've been working at Target since I was 16 and am interning as an executive this semester, so I've got a really good shot at being an HR exec with them by June. If that's going to be the case, it would be really difficult to give up that sort of salary/security/benefits to take a chance at working my way up.

I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with spending my vacations at WDW.

Thanks so much for your input!

DizneyRox
01-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Well, all hope is not lost, but the "good" jobs are very hard to come by. Frankly, it's more about who you know than what you know in general. Executive positions especially...

And, no, you don't want to give up that type of salary/benefits/etc to sell Churros to tour groups from Brazil.

bleukarma
01-12-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree with DizneyRox, Disney is a company that values having Disney knowledge over any other knowledge. The degrees are helpful in the long run, but they want people that know all aspects of Disney, which means starting on Main St. before entering the board room. :(

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Another thing to consider would be one of the management internships, some require a CP Alum first. Here (http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/internships/disney_world_resort.html) is a link to the page with the info on it.

I believe the positions are entry level management ones, that could help jump start a career with the company.

I know I went and started from the very bottom and am hoping to work up so that all of my bases are covered.

Good luck though!

DrivingSideways
01-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I can't blame Disney. I'd want someone who has been with the company and knows it inside and out over a fan.

The part that frustrates me so much is that I actually got into the CP back in 2001 and didn't go. What was I thinking?!

Thanks everyone for your help and info! :)

DizneyRox
01-12-2008, 08:52 PM
IThe part that frustrates me so much is that I actually got into the CP back in 2001 and didn't go. What was I thinking?!
DOH!

TheRustyScupper
01-13-2008, 01:46 AM
1) Go ahead and send in a resume to Professional Employment.
2) Don't send it to Casting.
3) They do not always hire from within.
4) I was offered and Engineering Manager position.
5) I only turned it down due to the salary level.
6) Disney traditionally pays low for all pay grades.

DrivingSideways
01-13-2008, 06:25 PM
1) Go ahead and send in a resume to Professional Employment.
2) Don't send it to Casting.
3) They do not always hire from within.
4) I was offered and Engineering Manager position.
5) I only turned it down due to the salary level.
6) Disney traditionally pays low for all pay grades.

This is probably a silly question (and indicative of my internet searching skills, which are pathetic at best), but where can I find the address for Professional Employment?