PDA

View Full Version : Opinions-Deluxe v. Mods for a Pop fan?

DrivingSideways
01-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Hey all!

I've been to WDW 11 times, staying on-site 3 of those times. I've always been on a college budget, so I've only stayed at Pop Century. My two friends and I loved it and were comfortable in the room.

Now, we're all starting to get "big girl" jobs, so our budgets are slowly increasing. We're hoping to branch out a bit and start trying other resorts. Our "dream" resort would be either a room or studio at BWI, because we LOVE the location and spend most of our time at Epcot and DHS, but that's a little more than we're going to be able to pay.

Our options are 6 nights at a mod (most likely POR or POFQ), 5 nights at AKL or WL (since they're the least expensive of the deluxes), or possibly even a studio at OKW/SSR.

There will be three of us and there may be a possibility of getting a discount since I'm a AAA member and Disney Visa cardholder. I'm also considering getting another annual pass because it's likely I'm going to make another trip next year.

Is there such a great difference between the Values and the Mods (other than space and theming)? We're looking for a little luxury, but honestly would be impressed with anything. lol

Sorry to ramble! Opinions?

Donald's Girl
01-11-2008, 11:57 PM
I love POR but have stayed in all the Mods and like them too! Biggest difference between Values and Mods that affect me is no hot tub at Values and no sit down restaurants.
If you like go to DTD, POR & POFQ are great since you can take the boat over. There is also more recreation there.
I would probably always opt for that extra day but if you want to shorten the trip to go to WL it would be worth it! That is really one of our favorite Deluxe--everything about it is wonderful!
So, depending on your personal tastes you'll have to decide if the upgraded hotels are worth it to you. I know you'll have fun wherever you end up!

Tigger&Stitch
01-12-2008, 01:02 AM
Tricky! It depends on what you are looking for in a resort.

I've never stayed in a Moderate (only Deluxe), but have read good things about all of them. I would suggest POR as well - maybe Riverside as it seems to be more "fun" than "romantic".

I think you'll notice the differences in transportation too - the Value resort buses can be quite crowded. Plus, the boat to DTD is really cool!

I do love the WL, since I honeymooned there, but I think you and your friends would have more fun at POR.

One other suggestion would be the cabins at Fort Wilderness. Again, we haven't stayed here, but they could be fun!

DVC Mike
01-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Advantages of a Moderate over a Value Resort

Larger: (average 314 sq ft vs. 260 sq ft; CBR is 340)
Table Service Restaurants (not just Food Courts)
Less “garish”/more “adult”/more relaxed theming (more subdued)
Themed Pools with slides and hot tubs
Small in-room refrigerator (at no additional cost) and coffee pot
Curtain divider between beds and sink area (privacy)
Limited Room Service
Lounges
Marinas and additional recreation activitiesAdvantages of a Deluxe over a Moderate Resort

Larger: (344-476 sq ft vs 314 sq ft)
Most rooms accommodate 5 guests
Typically 2 Queen beds vs. typical 2 Double beds in Mods
Multiple onsite TS, including Signature Dining and Character Dining
Suites
Club-level Concierge
Fitness Center
Kid’s Activities and Child Care
Larger, elaborately themed pools (some zero entry) with Awesome Slides
24-hour Room Service
Valet Parking
Balcony
Interior air-conditioned hallways instead of exterior
Best locations and transportation options (walking, boating, or monorails to parks)

#1donaldfan
01-12-2008, 10:46 AM
I can speak for POR Riverside.....It's very laid back, shaded, and quiet. When you leave a busy, hot park it's very nice to get to the resort and be able to relax a bit. My sister stayed at a value once and said never again, as it seemed liked they never left the parks...busy, busy, busy. With POR, you have 5 quiet pools and one signature pool to choose from. The food court is very good, and the restaraunt is awesome for breakfast. You can take a carriage ride, ride a boat to DtD for shopping....and a "million" other things to do as well.....we just love that resort......All IMHO.:mickey:

Bri
01-12-2008, 10:49 AM
I have stayed at POFQ and LOVED it. it's small so it doesn't take long to get anywhere. the only downfall is that, because it's small, it seems like the buses are a little slower to come at the parks. but there is usually ALOT of room on the buses. we are staying at AKL this year for the first time but only because we got a discount. we have also stayed at POP and didn't really like it that much, mostly because of the size i think. you could always book your trip using a magical journeys travel agent and they can apply any discounts that come available and even change your resorts if you change your mind about something. we are using magical journeys for the first time right now and wendy is awesome! in the end, i don't think you can go wrong with any of the moderates or deluxe resorts.

#1donaldfan
01-12-2008, 10:49 AM
ooops, forgot to mention that AAA offers a 15% room only discout at the mods......

DrivingSideways
01-12-2008, 07:01 PM
. you could always book your trip using a magical journeys travel agent and they can apply any discounts that come available and even change your resorts if you change your mind about something. we are using magical journeys for the first time right now and wendy is awesome!

I'm actually using Magical Journeys for the second time! LOL

Debbie's been amazing about putting up with all of my questions. She's checked availability at 4 (I think?) resorts already. She's my hero!

BigRedDad
01-13-2008, 05:41 AM
I've stayed at BW and AKL for Deluxes. I have stayed at CSR, POR (then Dixie Landings) for Mods. I will be staying at Pop for the first time at a Value. As one person said it, Deluxes=Hotel, Mod/Value=Motel. Deluxes have interior hallways to access your room. Mods/Values have external access to your room.

I think the biggest decisions that need to be made for where you stay are (in order of importance):

1. How much time will you spend in your room?
2. How much time will you spend enjoying what the resort has to offer? Can this be done if not staying there?
3. How important is convenience to the parks?
4. Is the cost difference between the resorts worth that much to you?

DrivingSideways
01-13-2008, 06:20 PM
I enjoyed Coranado Springs. Really cool pool area but it is quite a bit of walking around to get everywhere quite large like Carribean Beach.

Im staying at WL for the first time this May , it's another one that has always appealed to me that ive never been able to go to.

Always lots of choices. If i could stay anywhere and wasn't a 22 year old grad student id stay at the Boardwalk though.

I'm actually a 24 year old grad student! lol

Boardwalk is definitely my ultimate, too!

DDuck66
01-14-2008, 10:53 AM
There is a lot to be said for the Delux Resorts, but we usually only stay at them on special trips (once every few years). We love staying at the CBR. It is our favorite moderate. It really depends on how much time you spend at the resort. We are only there to sleep, so we will stay at the POP much of the time.

wedway76
01-14-2008, 04:50 PM
When faced with the option of more days or more luxury. I always choose more days. I always hate leaving WDW. If I chose the more expensive hotel, on the day I was leaving it would kill me to think that if I chose another hotel I could be there another night.

heidi614
01-16-2008, 06:47 PM
We've always stayed at ASM once ASS. Love Movies. Thought, let's move up. We went to CBR. Did not care for the size. Too big, too much walking-we do enough at the parks. I hated taking an internal bus to get to the FC or Main Building. 1 sit down rr was OK, but we eat at other places or food court. Never been to POR, maybe next time. This year we are back to our favorite Buzz and Woody!:mickey:

buzz2001
01-16-2008, 06:50 PM
I love CSR! CSR has a great pool, awesome transportation and great food options. It also offers some deluxe amenities like full menu room service, a spa, salon, tanning beds, fitness center and live entertainment at the new Rix Lounge.

IloveDisney71
01-16-2008, 07:16 PM
I have stayed at values 3 times, 1 moderate (CBR) and just recently my first deluxe (Poly). While I loved the Poly and am glad we splurged for Christmas, I don't know that we'll stay there again unless I get a discount of some kind. We don't stay in our room when we're at the world. We are at the parks from early morning to late at night so we basically just shower and sleep at our resort. Since we don't stay at the resorts much, we don't use the "extras" so I don't think I could justify paying so much extra for a little more space and a bigger bed (queen size).
However, I have a co-worker that loves deluxes and tried a value once and didn't like it at all. She said the rooms were too small because they spend a lot of time in their rooms.
In the future I'll probably choose the values more often than the others...unless I can get a discount at a moderate. I LOVED CBR. We paid to have a preferred room so the size of the resort wasn't an issue for us.
Wherever you choose to stay you'll have a great time because you'll be at DISNEY. :mickey: