PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Minivans

mjaclyn
01-11-2008, 09:17 PM
I recently posted a question about Minivans and I've been doing a lot of research on them. There are five that I would consider - each one has some great positive qualities but also some negatives. Which one would you choose?

Deesdisney
01-11-2008, 11:29 PM
I have a Honda. I LOVE IT. It was what we were looking for in a car that can hold more than 5 people and comfortable. We take our van to Disney World when we go. (leaving in 2 days for 4 wks in Orlando). :joy::clappy::coaster:

TXTigger
01-11-2008, 11:42 PM
You've picked out some great minivans. I considered all of those 3 years ago. I voted for the Quest, not only because I have an '05 and LOVE it, but also because if I had the money I woud go get the new one! They have fixed a couple of the inconviences (front row drink holders, and 3rd row headrests, now automatic), and they still have the skylights, which my whole family loves.

Really it's all about finding that perfect minivan for your family. Good luck in the search, and I'm sure that you will love your van, which ever one you choose.

PrincessEmmasMommy
01-12-2008, 06:22 AM
While getting an oil change a couple of weeks ago at Firestone, the manager and I were chatting about Town and Country's. He said that he has seen a lot of things go wrong with those and way sooner than he should see them. He said he would never buy one.
Happy Choosing!
Jen

dolphinmickey9170
01-12-2008, 04:28 PM
I've had a chrysler, a dodge and a ford minivan. I prefer the dodge out of any of them. Weren't they the first company to make the minivan anyway? They just seem to be built better. My next minivan, I will be returning to the Dodge!!:mickey:

tinksmom02
01-12-2008, 10:14 PM
If I ever had to drive a minivan, it would be a toyota sienna. There are just too many cool features available! Plus, it's a Toyota...

I was actually on the Toyota website last week, checking them out. Not sure I really want to get rid of my 4Runner, but the convenience of a mini-van (even with only one child!) is, well...convenient!

Disneymom4ever
01-12-2008, 10:15 PM
We have a Dodge Grand Caravan, and LOVE it. It's gone across country 3 times, and I won't mention how many miles it has, but it has been wonderful! Never a problem. I would buy it again in a heartbeat! (Actually I've been drooling over the commercials on the new ones, wow!! Someday, someday.....:mickey:

mjaclyn
01-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know what the difference is between the Dodge Grand Caravan and the Chrysler Town & Country? The one feature that I really like on these two minivans is that they have an option for second row seats that swivel around. I think that would be great for a long car trip. If it wasn't for the added features like the swivel seats I'd most likely go for the Honda Odyssey because so many people have recommended it. I just want a roomy, safe minivan from a name that has a good reputation for quality.

Grumpy's Daughter
01-13-2008, 08:40 PM
We bought a 2005 Town and Country, new, and loved it- in the beginning. As was stated before, problems start occuring- and too soon. At 35,000 miles, our transmission blew. And I don't drive hard! Well, they rebuilt the transmission, but it hasn't been the same. Now, it's making a funny noise, and I'm scared to have it looked at. I'm ready to trade it in- I wish there was a hybrid mini-van!

Quasimodo
01-14-2008, 10:53 AM
We bought a 2007 Quest back in March after my wife totaled her car. We were pretty sure we were going to buy an Honda Odyssey when we started looking, but after test driving the fully loaded versions of the Odyssey, Sienna, and the Quest, we settled on the Quest SE. Primarily because it was the most comfortable for my wife to drive. The Odyssey was a close second, but the seatbelt was hurting my wife. We also liked the Nav screen on the Quest better. The backup camera has lines to show you where the van will go when you backup. This has helped my wife a lot with backing up. We also like the sky-lights in the SE. The Quest drives very well too. It feels more like a car than a van. It accelerates very well too.

Dixie Springs
01-14-2008, 06:46 PM
We had a Chrysler minivan (several years ago, to be fair) - never again. I'd go Honda or Toyota. We currently have an '01 Mazda MPV, which has been great so far, but is discontinued.

Polylurker
01-15-2008, 10:22 PM
I have had two Grand Caravans. Most recent one is a 2005. It has the worst brake system ever!! We have had brakes worked on over 5 times. There is only 41,000 miles on it. My best friend also has one...poor thing bought hers 4 months after me...She has had electrical problems, door problems, heater problems. We are looking very closely at Toyota. Rated best in Consumer Reports. Just my 2 cents.

tinksmom02
01-18-2008, 11:33 PM
I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but wanted to share that I am seriously considering trading in my 4runner for a Sienna (Toyota). I'd previously posted that I didn't think I could ever be a mini-van mom, but I think we're heading to the dealership tomorrow to see...

I really, really like my truck (especially the fact that it handles like a truck), but safety and comfort wise, I think the Sienna might be the better bet.

Will keep you posted...

mjaclyn
04-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Update! We took the plunge and went for the 2008 Honda Odyssey. I really hope I made the right decision - we plan on keeping this minivan for awhile so I hope it's reliable and we don't have problems with it!! Does anyone else have any good experiences with the Odyssey? Some of the user reviews I've read online haven't been so good and now I'm second guessing my decision. Should I have gone with the Sienna?? It's too late now, of course but I'd love to hear some good Odyssey experiences!

Flower
04-17-2008, 10:23 PM
My in-laws bought a 2003 Odyssey new and they love it, it has seen several drives to WDW from the Toronto area. It has 135000 KMS on it. They have not had any problems with it whatsoever.

After we adopted Brandon and I found out 'surprise, you're pregnant' I knew we would have to look for another vehicle, I was driving a Honda Accord at the time. I learned of 1 for sale, just off lease 2002 Odyssey and traded in the accord for it! It now has 125000KMS on it and 3 Disney trips on its wheels!

I currently have 2 lights on the dash and really need to get them checked out, between a sick kid and 1 income I have been procrastinating.
I think my only complaint with the Honda is that I am pretty well stuck going to the dealership for repairs. I live in a General Motors community and close to Ford territory - most local mechanics are familiar with them and Honda is still 'foreign', (Even though the Honda plant is only 1.5 hours away). For minor problems, I can go anywhere, but for the big things I need to go to the dealership. Because I have 2 dash lights on they want to charge me $100 for EACH light, so $200 in the door is expensive to me, and there would still be parts & labor on top of that.

Otherwise - I love my Odyssey! Oh, and right now we have my in-laws van so I actually have 2 sitting in my driveway right now!:blush:

Ian
04-17-2008, 11:36 PM
My Aunt and Uncle bought their first Odyssey some time in the mid-90's, I think. They liked it so much they got a new one about 5 years later. They liked that one so much that they bought a second one ... they both drove Odysseys now.

My boss had one and loved it ... our neighbors have one and they love it ...

So can you guess what I voted for? ;)

crazeedizneefinatic
04-18-2008, 12:22 AM
We just went through this a few weeks ago. Did all the reasearch and test drives and ended up going with the Dodge Grand Caravan. Did not go with the swivel seats and table version, it was too cramped but I guess if you did not use the table it would be okay. We went with the model with 2nd row captains chairs and all stow and go. By the way stow and go was a free option for now. At least "free" on paper, lol. Supposedly a $950 value. The stow and go is amazing! We love it. It's a solid van and sounds solid. We have always owned cars and this is our first van. We had a Dodge Avenger when they first came out and they were sports cars, back in '96 I think. That was the only car I have never had trouble with, just regular maintanece. My Dad had a Dodge intrepid he gave to my nephew a few years ago, and he would still have it until someone totalled it. It had over 100,000 miles on it and probably would still be going. Good luck choosing, it can get mind boggling.

mdhiggin
04-18-2008, 01:00 AM
We're firm believers in Consumer Reports. Our Toyota Sienna was two years old when we bought it, but it still drives like it's new, and we've had it almost a year. It was rated the best for reliability, the Quest was second. Although, the Honda Accord which we had for 260,000 miles and 11 years was rated wonderful, the Honda Odyssey was not.

lovewalt
04-18-2008, 07:16 AM
DH is a mechanic and worked for 15 years in a transmission shop.He was replacing bad transmissions in Dodge caravans and the Town and Country on a regular basis.It was a rare week when they didn't have one or the other in there.

crazypoohbear
04-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Does anyone know what the difference is between the Dodge Grand Caravan and the Chrysler Town & Country? The one feature that I really like on these two minivans is that they have an option for second row seats that swivel around. I think that would be great for a long car trip. If it wasn't for the added features like the swivel seats I'd most likely go for the Honda Odyssey because so many people have recommended it. I just want a roomy, safe minivan from a name that has a good reputation for quality.

My Ds's really thought that swivel feature was cool as well. One day when I was at the dealership getting my van fixed I looked at the swivel seats. There really is NO leg room when the seat is turned around. Between the two seats there might be 12 inches! I don't know how old your kids are but there would be no room for 2 teenagers to sit facing each other :(
I really like that feature but we all know how important leg room is!

JerseyDad
04-18-2008, 10:40 AM
DH is a mechanic and worked for 15 years in a transmission shop.He was replacing bad transmissions in Dodge caravans and the Town and Country on a regular basis.It was a rare week when they didn't have one or the other in there.

.....that's the main reason the wife got a Ford Freestar. Our Dodge Grand Caravan began with the transmission issues after only 3 years...and ONLY 30,000 miles (would not engage in cold weather).

So at 40K miles...we washed it...took off to the Ford dealer...and my wife saw a 2006 Freestar with a $30K sticker on it. They were running the employee pricing offer at the time + the free DVD System promotion ($1700 off). When all was said & done...and them giving us $6K for the Dodge trade in....her new Ford cost us $14K!!

...then they were silly enough to ask if we wanted to buy...or lease??!! We bought it...and no problems at all. And, it gets great gas mileage....as we saw on our two trips to WDW from NJ. (close to 28 mpg!)

....once we did rent a Honda Odyssey for a WDW trip...and although it ran well enough...I was just not comfortable in the drivers seat over the long drive.

SAHDad
04-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Update! We took the plunge and went for the 2008 Honda Odyssey. I really hope I made the right decision - we plan on keeping this minivan for awhile so I hope it's reliable and we don't have problems with it!! Does anyone else have any good experiences with the Odyssey? Some of the user reviews I've read online haven't been so good and now I'm second guessing my decision. Should I have gone with the Sienna?? It's too late now, of course but I'd love to hear some good Odyssey experiences!

We've had an Odyssey for about a year and a half. We were planning on getting a minivan, since my wife was pregnant with our second child. Anyway, my Intrepid hit the magic point, where, apparently, on many Dodge models, the transmission dies. (Our mechanic said that it was about the right mileage for it to happen, and he joked that Dodge really should put a warning in the owners manual about it.) Replacing the tranny for a car that was not friendly to two car seats was silly, so we looked at minivans.

We test drove several, and spent the most time looking at the Sienna and the Odyssey. In the end, we went with the Odyssey because I liked it a bit more, and since I am the primary driver, that mattered. We've had it for 20k miles, and no problems yet (not that we are expecting any).

magicofdisney
04-20-2008, 01:48 AM
I know you've already made your purchase, but the Caravan is the sister vehicle to the T&C. Dodge and Chrysler are under the DaimlerChrysler Corporation.

Spaceship Tigger
04-23-2008, 07:55 AM
I voted for the Town and Country since we love our 2007 model. But I realized that this is a poll for 2008 models and I think the redesigns of the Caravan and T&C are extremely ugly. I wouldn't buy one now. But I wouldn't have an Odyssey or a Sienna either (both very overpriced), so I'm glad we made the purchase last year.

elmjimmlm
04-23-2008, 09:22 AM
We have a Pontaic Montana SV6 and love it...It has everything...It is a 2006 so when I am ready to trade I will get another...I always thought of myself as a van hater...Ever since we bought it I dont think that I will ever go back...:thumbsup:

MickeyandTink
04-23-2008, 12:29 PM
We used to have a Dodge Grand Caravan and got rid of it two years ago because, among other minor problems, it had a terrible habit of losing the serpentine belt and stalling out anytime it was driven in the rain. After the thir time it happened, I insisted that despite the cost, we were getting a newer and different mininvan.

We ended up getting a slightly used Toyota Sienna and just love it. The remote dual sliding doors and rear hatch are fantasic. My brother and his wife have a Honda Odyssey and love it as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, it's just a matter of personal preference.

LarryBoy
04-24-2008, 08:22 AM
We own a 2000 Odyssey and love it. We are creeping up on 150,000 miles and have had no problems. We actually bought it used with 60,000 miles already on it. The thing about Hondas is they may cost a little more up front, but you can drive them for sooo much longer. They also depreciate a lot less than other models, so you will get more some day when you resale. I actually drive a '92 Civic with over 330,000 miles. We've learned that we will buy nothing but Hondas from now on.

LarryBoy
04-24-2008, 08:26 AM
We used to have a Dodge Grand Caravan and got rid of it two years ago because, among other minor problems, it had a terrible habit of losing the serpentine belt and stalling out anytime it was driven in the rain. After the thir time it happened, I insisted that despite the cost, we were getting a newer and different mininvan.

We had the exact same problem with our Plymouth Grand Voyager (same thing as the Caravan), and I know someone else that did also. It had something to do with the tensioner that holds the serpentine belt in place. That's why when we replaced it we went with the Honda.