PDA

View Full Version : Handling 2008 DDP tipping

ncrohrs
01-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi, for those who are going in 2008 or have gone already how are you going to handle tipping on the dining plan?

We don't usually carry much cash and its hard to say how much we might need for tips (depending on service). I like to put all spending on a CC. Can you do that if you don't have anything to pay for your meal but would like to charge the tip?

Thanks,
Nicole :mickey:
P0ly 2/08

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-11-2008, 01:22 PM
DH and I have talked about this, and generally think that we're going to charge it to the room, so we don't have to carry cash with us in the parks.

I don't see a problem charging the tip to a CC either.

mickeytravel
01-11-2008, 01:30 PM
our trip is coming up in june and i am buying disney gift cards and putting it on that. No cash and no CC payment. you can get one with as much as you want on it or seperate ones. You can purchase them online or at the disney store. :cool:

adoptionislove
01-11-2008, 01:35 PM
We will just use cash! I know, a four letter word, but that is probably the way to go for us!!!

DizneyRox
01-11-2008, 01:48 PM
First, I would determine what the appropriate tip would be. Having it included rubs me the wrong way, so having control over how much the service was worth (if anything) is a big plus.

As far as how they will get it. If they do get one, it will go on a credit card. That way, the restaurant will be responsible for getting that to the servers and there will be a record on how much so they can report it correctly on their taxes.

Cash is too easy to lose track of come income tax time.

KateMW
01-11-2008, 03:22 PM
We'll probably use cash or charge it back to the room. Most places can't or won't just charge a tip to a credit card, but DH or I will probably have wine with dinner anyway, so we'll just tip on that bill.

KateMW
01-11-2008, 03:23 PM
As far as how they will get it. If they do get one, it will go on a credit card. That way, the restaurant will be responsible for getting that to the servers and there will be a record on how much so they can report it correctly on their taxes.

Cash is too easy to lose track of come income tax time.

When I was a server, nobody seemed to want to report it correctly. LOL

DizneyRox
01-11-2008, 03:51 PM
We'll probably use cash or charge it back to the room. Most places can't or won't just charge a tip to a credit card, but DH or I will probably have wine with dinner anyway, so we'll just tip on that bill.
Might have more to do with the percentage that gets kept by the credit card companies. So, a 15% tip might be 13% once the bank gets their share.

Not my problem...

KevGuy
01-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Most places can't or won't just charge a tip to a credit card

That's crazy I never heard of that. What makes you think anyone cares where the money comes from? They will take a CC no problem lol.:shake:

jszczur5
01-11-2008, 04:45 PM
First, I would determine what the appropriate tip would be. Having it included rubs me the wrong way, so having control over how much the service was worth (if anything) is a big plus.

As far as how they will get it. If they do get one, it will go on a credit card.

Would you actually leave no tip for bad service? I'm not a particularly generous tipper, but even I couldn't leave NO tip. We had the worst service ever last year at Sci Fi Diner. If that were to occur again this year, I would feel comfortable leaving just a five though (which would be five too much, in my opinion).
Good service will merit an appropriate tip.
Lousy service will merit an equally appropriate tip.
I'm not too happy with the 2008 DDP changes, but it may improve the level of service. And if it doesn't, then at least I can express my displeasure with a smaller tip.

Ian
01-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Would you actually leave no tip for bad service? Actually no ... and here's why ...

A friend who waitressed in college told me once that if you want to make a statement about bad service, you don't leave no tip (if the service was that bad you should probably be talking to a manager anyway).

She said many times servers who get no tip assume that you just forgot to leave one. If you want to make a statement on bad service, my friend said you leave like a 1% tip. Something very small that lets the server know you remembered ... you just weren't thrilled with their talents. ;)

I've left tips as small as a penny when my service was abysmal ... although admittedly that was only one time and the service was so bad that it prompted me to tell the manager that his waitress needed to go back for remedial training!!

PetefromRI
01-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Listen,I know alot of people who depend on tips for a living.It seems that alot of people are going to punish the server for their displeasure with the new DDP rules by leaving no tip.Personally,when I go to Disney I always carry 100.00 or so,mostly in smaller bills,just for tipping.If I know that I'm going to dinner I make sure that I have more than enough to cover tips and maybe a few drinks in the parks.It just seems as of late I hear alot of people with bad attitudes about the DDP and I'd hate to see the servers get hurt over this because for the most part they do an awesome job.And as far as tips go,CASH IS KING!!!

tinksmom02
01-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Listen,I know alot of people who depend on tips for a living.It seems that alot of people are going to punish the server for their displeasure with the new DDP rules by leaving no tip.

I agree with you that a lot of people are displeased with the DDP changes, but I don't think anyone will be going out to intentionally take it out on the servers. What I DO think will happen, though, is that customers will become a LOT more observant of how they are treated by their servers, and won't be afraid to tip accordingly. I don't want to say that diners will be more critical, but that I don't think they'll hesitate to leave a small tip if the service is sub-par, or even seek out management if the service is especially poor. Servers are going to have to stay on their toes, I think.

Just my two cents.

KateMW
01-11-2008, 10:44 PM
That's crazy I never heard of that. What makes you think anyone cares where the money comes from? They will take a CC no problem lol.:shake:

It has to do with the fact that the restaurant isn't getting the tip, the server is. It won't work to just charge a tip to a cc, because there is no way to ring up a tip in a computer system without an actual charge. But, hey...try your best. @@

Natazu
01-11-2008, 10:44 PM
We usually charge everything to the room. It helps me keep up with Rachel's spending... I mean, our trip budget.

As for bad service, as rare as it is at WDW, we'll get a manager and discuss bad service before we leave. This way, they know why they got a dollar.

DizneyRox
01-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Would you actually leave no tip for bad service?
I tip according to service, so yes, it's possible to get no tip from me. I would not feel bad in the least. I don't go out of my way to not leave a tip, but when you are in the service industry, and you know that your income is dependant on tips, you should do everything in your power to get that tip.

I don't judge the tip on quality/quantity of food, etc. It's based solely on the level of service received from my waiter/waitress.

I've seen people put a couple quarters at the bottom of a glass, smash a buck into a plate of half eaten food, etc. That's low class... But I see nothing wrong with no tip at all. Especially around home where it's asusmed that everyone knows about tipping. In a tourist location such as WDW, maybe a couple pennies would make a bigger statement, but whatever works.

PetefromRI
01-14-2008, 09:23 AM
As I said earlier,cash is king when it comes to tips and unfortunatly some restuarants report 15% to the IRS even if the server gets stiffed on a tip.I think we should go back to pre Reagan when tips weren't reportable and the middle class had a chance.

robemcdo
01-14-2008, 10:04 AM
I've read this a few places

"Listen,I know alot of people who depend on tips for a living.It seems that alot of people are going to punish the server for their displeasure with the new DDP rules by leaving no tip."

I'd really like to know how the whole gratuity process is handled in house? Does the server get it all? Does Disney take a cut? Must they share it with kitchen staff.

My general feeling is that particularly for a buffet, 18% is kind of ridiculous. We had a server who handled out table of 10. She also seemed had about 2 other tables at the same time.

Our 18% amounted to $60. The other two tables combined must have amounted to the same.

That's $120, we were there no more than 1 hour, all the gal had to so was clear my 1 plate (okay...my 3 plates), and fill my coke glass. I assume in the average shift, that table probably is filled 5 or 6 times.

That is $600 cash...likely non-taxable.
I personally think that is a little steep.

As well, does anyone know how the server was tipped under the 207 DDP?? Did they receive the 18% of the bill? I think, probably not!.

TBY2225
01-14-2008, 10:20 AM
We are going in September for free dining again. We plan on doing mostly buffets, because our daughter is very picky and will have alot to choose from and our son is still under 3. I have taken the cost of the buffets and figured the tip. I plan to take that much, plus a little more for good service. I also feel at times 18% is alot for a buffett. If I only see the server once or twice and they aren't a help at all I will leave 10%-15%. I also have left less for TS as well. I always speak with the managers though if I get very good or very bad service!

fielin
01-14-2008, 11:12 AM
That's $120, we were there no more than 1 hour, all the gal had to so was clear my 1 plate (okay...my 3 plates), and fill my coke glass. I assume in the average shift, that table probably is filled 5 or 6 times.

That is $600 cash...likely non-taxable.
I personally think that is a little steep.

If I take your calculation, this is 600$ dollars in one shift. Two shifts a day : 1200$. 25 days a month : 30000$. :number1:

They get stiffed a lot, of course. Well, even if they made 10% of this, it would be 3000$.

There must be a real flaw in this calculation, otherwise, I think a lot more people would compete to become waiters ! :D

robemcdo
01-14-2008, 12:49 PM
They can't be getting stiffed too many times when the tip is thrown on the bill automatically on groups of 6.

lockedoutlogic
01-14-2008, 01:36 PM
When I was a server, nobody seemed to want to report it correctly. LOL

I was thinking that DisneyRox is new to America....:secret:

lockedoutlogic
01-14-2008, 01:55 PM
The practical reality is this:

Disney wishes to increase their profits from the dining plan....

so one of the ways they do it is to not include gratuity...

why? not because gratuity affects the bottomline for the Corporation...but by forcing the consumer to tip based on the total monetary bill....they plant the seed (which will grow in many people's mind-gardens) that will discontinue the trend of those on the dining plan from ordering "right to left"

We all have done this to tis point....now if you rack up a 200 tab for a party of four at a restaurant....say coral reef....now you are responsible for a 35 dollar tip....
....many will move away from that trend.

the Result? the fix price charge for the DDP per day will yield more profit...or in worst case scenario....cover more costs.

And sadly...the servers will most likely make far less than they did on guaranteed gratuity the past 3 years.

They've done this many times in the past to cut costs and increase yields...this is another logical step that was predictable the minute the dining plan came into existence....

The elimination of the APPETIZER is another....think about it: what are you more likely to pay for out of pocket? A desert after 2 courses in a nice comfortable atmosphere? Or an appetizer as you come in out of the Florida sun after (presumably) 3 + hours of not eating?

As Gordon Gecko says: "greed is good"

Now that's "Magic":thumbsup:

SignguyTom
01-14-2008, 02:08 PM
The practical reality is this:

Disney wishes to increase their profits from the dining plan....

so one of the ways they do it is to not include gratuity...

why? not because gratuity affects the bottomline for the Corporation...but by forcing the consumer to tip based on the total monetary bill....they plant the seed (which will grow in many people's mind-gardens) that will discontinue the trend of those on the dining plan from ordering "right to left"

We all have done this to tis point....now if you rack up a 200 tab for a party of four at a restaurant....say coral reef....now you are responsible for a 35 dollar tip....
....many will move away from that trend.

the Result? the fix price charge for the DDP per day will yield more profit...or in worst case scenario....cover more costs.

And sadly...the servers will most likely make far less than they did on guaranteed gratuity the past 3 years.

They've done this many times in the past to cut costs and increase yields...this is another logical step that was predictable the minute the dining plan came into existence....

The elimination of the APPETIZER is another....think about it: what are you more likely to pay for out of pocket? A desert after 2 courses in a nice comfortable atmosphere? Or an appetizer as you come in out of the Florida sun after (presumably) 3 + hours of not eating?

As Gordon Gecko says: "greed is good"

Now that's "Magic":thumbsup:

Well said! This is the best explanation (theory?) I have heard for the DDP changes.

KateMW
01-14-2008, 05:17 PM
In all the restaurants I've ever worked it or managed, servers have had to tip out or share tips with bus boys and bartenders. Between that and the fact that you only make 2.13 an hour, it's a good living, but not a great one by any means. Factor in that most places don't get health insurance (Disney employees probably gets it), everybody please TIP YOUR SERVERS. It's expensive out there!:D