PDA

View Full Version : Animal Question

MMouse6937
01-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi all, wondering if you can help me.

We have seven animals 3 dogs, 4 cats, all adults (well Georgie's almost there)

I need to know what kind of vaccines dogs and cats need yearly. My vet said something about it being every other year or something and I didn't understand. From what I understand the dogs need rabies, coronavirus, distemper, parvo and bordetella. The cats need rabies, feline leukemia, repiratory virus, and distemper. Is that right? How often?

Any help or even a website you might know that would tell me the schedule of what they need and when. I'm trying to make sure all of the animals have what they need, especially the dogs since we go outside and to the dog park, I don't want anyone getting sick.

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

pogo
01-10-2008, 11:09 PM
I can't help you, but I did want to say :hi: to my favorite lady in Albuqureque. :hug: Say :hi: to Mike for us.

I'll see if I can find out the answers for you. :D

pogo
01-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Try here (http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/dogandpuppyvaccinations). :mickey:

And here (http://http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/catandkittenvaccinations). :D

MMouse6937
01-10-2008, 11:27 PM
You're wonderful!! :D

Mike says hi to you both too!

Come back to ABQ soon...we're actually going to be on our way to NY soon. :)

Take care :hug:

MsMin
01-11-2008, 12:31 AM
do you have a pet smart up there? I saw they have some pretty good plans that include the vaccines. They had an add that is a program for 11.95 a month including vaccines and 2 annual visits. I didn't look into it too deep. You may also check with local shelters or organizations b/c they can help you with shots sometimes. (they all have different regulations).
Vaccines do vary by state. La. just went to rabies every other year but Rach says NY (I think?) is every 3 years. Bordetella was every year here but they just increased it to every six months do to recent outbreaks.
You are right that exposure to other animals does increase your risk.
Our vet gives a break @ 5 animals.
do you use heartworm meds? I get mine real cheap. I used to use revolution but it was so expensive and now w/ 4 dogs we use heartguard for large dogs and cut the cubes up into 8 pieces. It saves us a ton.

Carol
01-11-2008, 07:21 AM
I need to know what kind of vaccines dogs and cats need yearly. From what I understand the dogs need rabies, coronavirus, distemper, parvo and bordetella. The cats need rabies, feline leukemia, repiratory virus, and distemper. Is that right? How often?

Most vaccines are yearly. However, a rabies vax can be every three years if given consecutively.

A lot of the diseases you mentioned are given in with the distemper shot. Some vets have gone to a 3 year program with that too.

Mine has not. (I work at a Vet Hospital.) Some of those viruses contained in that vaccine can not be protected within a 3 year regimen. Plus you have to remember a dog ages much faster than a human. For that very reason - they should have an annual exam. It would be like taking your children to the peditirician as a baby - only to return when the kid is 21. ;)

It also depends on what area you live in. It's not mandatory - but in my area most clients opt for a yearly Lymes vax for dogs. Heartworm tests are also given annually and preventative meds monthly.

Call your local Vet and ask what they require/suggest. I get those types of calls daily and I don't mine. :)

Spays and neuters can be done at 6 months. It's best to get it done early - as to avoid cancer risks down the road. :paw:

RenDuran
01-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Our vet has changed how they do vaccines in the past several years, because from what our vet has told us research has shown that most pets don't need yearly vaccines. The immunity lasts longer than a year, plus some vaccines can cause tumors.

Rabies is every three years for cats and dogs in Virginia, but only after they've also had their first vaccine at three months and then their first year vaccination. Thereafter it is every three years.

My pets get vaccinated for distemper, etc. every several years. They still go in yearly for their exam. I think the mistake that some people make is neglecting to take their pets in every year, because they feel if they're not getting shots, they don't need the exam.

MsMin
01-11-2008, 12:15 PM
I forgot to mention too that here ( don't know about other states or city regs) but the licensing cost less if the dog or cat is spayed or neutered. It probably works out over time w/ cost but it helps...