PDA

View Full Version : rainy in August and September??

ASweetLov
01-10-2008, 10:08 PM
I was in WDW in July 2007 and it was very humid every day and it also rained a bit every day too. I was wondering if its like that in mid August and September too? I am trying to plan a sisters trip in 2009 and my sister doesn't do too well with humidity. She cant stand it for too long . I was just being curious about the rain:mickey:

MushuMulan
01-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Florida weather is unpredictable, sometimes you'll have a drought for a month, other times you'll have rain for a few days, and it happens suddenly too :(.

Oh and it's always humid in Florida too :mad:.

Best thing to do would be to go with your gut :).

In my opinion, while it's true that this may put a hamper on your trip, I doubt it can do much to stop the fun you'll be having :D.

animalkingdomguy
01-11-2008, 09:00 AM
I am a Yankee Northerner and we went to WDW in August. If you don't do well with rain and humidity I can't stress strongly enough it will be brutal. When we opened our door at POR room early in the morning the humidity hit you like a hot steamy wet blanket that had been weighted down with lead shot. We love WDW and have visited in Oct, Apr and Dec. These are very preferable to August. Also, August is still hurricane and tropical storm season. We were on the DDP and the heat and humidity sapped out appetites. Don't get me wrong touring WDW can work up an appetite but the combo of heat and humidity interfered. Good luck and DRINK WATER.

Taja
01-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Expect heat and humidity in August and September.

If you can get moving early in the morning, you can do a fair amount, then take a break and go out again in the evening.

Doesn't work for me--I'm not a morning person, particularly the first few days of a WDW visit. My body still is in the wrong time zone! *LOL*

That's why I visit in December. :)

disneyfan328
01-11-2008, 11:56 AM
I agree with all of the PP. We went in Sept of this year and it was ridiculously hot and humid. I don't do well in the humidity either nor does my son as we are both severe asthmatics, however that being said, we still had a wonderful time. The worst part of it is walking in the parks, or waiting for an outside ride or the parades. I think that the parades were the worst wait as there really was no shade and it was blazing hot (we went last week in sept and it was in the 90's with close to 100% humidity everyday) It also did rain a little almost every day, but there are enough indoor things to do to get away from it. Everything inside is pretty airconditioned so you really just have to pace yourself. I would say that MGM studios and AK are the worst for tolerating the heat and humidity as a lot of everything is outside. AK was the worst of all as all that greenery kept the heat and humidity in and closer to the ground. We did not do well at all at this park and left before the afternoon parade to go back and swim. It was just tooo hot. I have been there in early march and it was warm, in the 80's but the humidity was nothing like what we encountered on this trip. good luck with whatever you decide.

MushuMulan
01-12-2008, 12:38 AM
To be honest, I don't really mind the humidity, I hardly ever notice it. Then again, I guess living in Florida for 12 years of your life and then Houston (which is equally as humid) will do that to you :).

If you don't like the humidity, I'd suggest going in the 'dryer' months, such as October-December. I can't really say that the humidity won't be there, because it's always there in Florida, no matter what month, but at least it might be more manageable.

RedheadWriter
01-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I went only one time in August and it was the absolute worst as far as weather goes. Humidity so think it was literally like a sauna. It downpoured every afternoon , the drenching "soak even your underwear" downpour. By far the most comfortable month I have experienced is January, followed by a close second of October. There are only a few months I have never been to WDW: April, July and September. I am quite happy going in January and October of each year.

DisneyGiant
01-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Expect heat and humidity in August and September.

If you can get moving early in the morning, you can do a fair amount, then take a break and go out again in the evening.

That's what we did last time we were there in August. Quite frankly it was only slightly worse than where we left from (NJ). Went out first thing in the am - virtually no lines anywhere - went until we were tired or exhausted by the humidity - then went back to the resort for swimming or rest. We went back out in the evening for dinner and more park hopping.

We only had two downpours that stopped us in our tracks - and those only lasted about 20 minutes.

We find that there are less crowds then than in our other touring time (April) which is a very crowded time of the year.

If you have low tolerance for heat and humidity - I definitely wouldn't chose August.

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
01-12-2008, 10:53 AM
We went the third week in Sept. last year and it wsn't too bad. Early in the week we had a couple of hot and humid days but after that it was almost perfect. I would say the later in the year especially Oct. would be even better. However like others have said it's Florida and it is unpredictable!!!

teambricker04
01-12-2008, 11:10 AM
I have been loads of times in August. Yup it is humid and it is rainy, but I never mind it since I am at Disney. I just plan on my hair looking crazy.

We did go for our honeymoon in 2004, and we had our wedding in St. Pete the only weekend that didn't have a hurricane for about a month! I think there were three... Francis was one. We ended up leaving Disney a day early to make it home and it was a good thing we did! The park was DEAD the entire week.

Verolovesdisney
01-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Same as teambricker04, our family was at Disney in between all the 04 hurricanes, Sep 10st-21st if I recall. As per the other post, it was unbeleivably humid. Our family handles it well, but I think anyone with a low tolerence to that type of weather will really stuggle. It did also rain almost every day, but very predictable 20 minute showers, 2pm or 3pm every afternoon. The upside is that the parks were scarry quiet, but this is before they started offering free dining, so may not be the same now.

devoted93
01-13-2008, 02:57 PM
The upside is that the parks were scarry quiet, but this is before they started offering free dining, so may not be the same now. Yeah, it was quite a bit busier last September than it had been in previous years. Still not BUSY busy, but we found that we had to use fast passes on a couple of occasions where we wouldn't have had to before. We go pretty much every September and yes, it can get VERY hot and humid during this time and usually results in some rain storms. Last September we got a freaking monsoon at EXACTLY the time that Illuminations was starting and it practically started a stampede. My socks were still wet when I got home from the trip.

pixiesmimi
01-13-2008, 10:14 PM
In FL (and most of the south) Aug. and Sept. are really bad months for heat and humidity. If she can't tolerate the humidity, you don't want to go then. Also, the Love Bugs start coming in about that time. We went in Aug. this past year and were afraid right up until we got there that we were going to get in the middle of a hurricane. You can never tell about those until that week. We are from AL so the heat and humidity didn't bother us that much. We just walked through the air conditioned stores as much as we could and stayed in the shade as much as possible. Weather this time of year is very unpredictable. We enjoyed the lower crowds though. June is the heaviest month for rain. The spring or after October are the best times to go.

Disneyatic
01-14-2008, 11:28 AM
I would vote a strong NO for September.
We went this last September and the humidity was almost unbearable. It was literally 100% humidity most of the days.
We live in TX and were prepared for heat, but not that high of humidity.
Plus, with the free dining trends, September was much more crowded than we expected. It also rained alot every day. Not the short, sporadic showers that we had heard of. These were pretty long downpours! We learned our lesson about Florida's weather being unpredictable!

Our first trip was at the end of February and the weather was great. It was chilly enough to need a jacket sometimes and only rained once. We are trying December this year and hoping that the humidity will be much lower!

bfbulldog
01-15-2008, 10:56 AM
DON'T GO IN SEPTEMBER, I can't stress this enough, we were there the 2nd week of September and it was 95+ everyday with 100% humidity. It was hot, hot, hot in the morning in the afternoon and at 11 at night, plus it rained everyday and not just the quick thunderstorms you hear about but prolonged 1-3 hour storms. we found ourselves not enjoying the trip because we were running from AC to AC everywhere we went. It was also much busier than I had thought it would be, not insane but by no means dead either.

We also did MNSSHP on the 14th and it poured from start to finish. I've gone several times in Mid to late October and the weather is much, much, much nicer and the crowds are still relatively light. You'd be wise to wait

JerseyDad
01-15-2008, 01:30 PM
.....everyone that I know that's been in Fla. in late summer ealy fall (Sept) has told me that the humidity and heat can be brutal....and I have no reson to not believe them!!

....we've been at WDW for the past 4 years in the last week of Oct / first week of Nov. and the weather has been nothing short of spectacular. There was ONE 15 minute thunderstorm while we were at the MK...on Main Street....so we just went inside and shopped!!

....so...of course you can figure out when I'd be at WDW!! :)

Disneyatic
01-15-2008, 05:36 PM
DON'T GO IN SEPTEMBER, I can't stress this enough, we were there the 2nd week of September and it was 95+ everyday with 100% humidity. It was hot, hot, hot in the morning in the afternoon and at 11 at night, plus it rained everyday and not just the quick thunderstorms you hear about but prolonged 1-3 hour storms. we found ourselves not enjoying the trip because we were running from AC to AC everywhere we went. It was also much busier than I had thought it would be, not insane but by no means dead either.

We also did MNSSHP on the 14th and it poured from start to finish.

You were there the same time we were and your post sounds exactly like my thoughts! The heat and humidity mixed with the rain made it very hard to enjoy ourselves to the fullest. We also found ourselves just waiting to get to the next AC!