PDA

View Full Version : Has the Service Improved Since the Gratuity was Removed from DDP???

jszczur5
01-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I would like to hear from anyone who has recently used the "new and improved" 2008 version of the DDP. Has the service actually improved? Have the number of diners declined - or are the restaurants still over-booked? Did you order appetizers anyway and just pay for them OOP. And finally, did you leave the suggested 18% gratuity - more? - less? - and why? Are other diners leaving Disney suggested appropriate tips, or did you see a lot of tables with just a $10 bill left as a gratuity?

tinksmom02
01-10-2008, 10:20 PM
:mickey: I'm bumping this up, because I've been waiting to hear how the 2008 DDP is stacking up!

C'mon, share the info!!

adoptionislove
01-10-2008, 11:13 PM
You know what!!!!

We are doing the land and sea package in March with the dining plan and I did NOT know that there were ANY changes! (I guess that I should look at the fine print, huh)?:blush:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-11-2008, 01:43 AM
I don't think it will change since there is the 18% gratuity added to all TS and buffet meals now. It's just an additional cost that you have to pay out of pocket so I expect the service is the same.

tennantsrwe
01-11-2008, 07:44 AM
I'm curious to see how the new DDP works out for the CMs. I was told when I called to book our next trip that the 18% gratuity was ONLY added to parties of 6 or more. Anything under 6 people and the tip amount is left to the guest's descretion. I kinda think that should be how it goes, that's the norm at most other eateries. Plus I kinda like knowing if my server isn't up to par that I don't HAVE to leave 18%...we only are a party of 4. Anyone else heard this to be true?

Tygger7
01-11-2008, 07:54 AM
The "mandatory" gratuity is ONLY for:

1. Parties of 6 or more
2. Guests using the Disney Dining Experience card (discount card that gives you 20% off of every meal, but now automatically adds an 18% tip to your TS bill; does not impact CS meals.)

I've triple-checked this directly with WDW and have received verbal and written confirmation. The tip is NOT automatically included in the 2008 DP as in years past. It is up to the guest what they leave for their server and nothing is automatically added to your bill.

Hope this helps! :mickey:

peemagg
01-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Tygger7 is right. It is parties of 6 or more. There is one thing about this though. We are a party of 7, 4 adults and 3 babies under 3. I called and asked and as far as they are concerned we are actually a party of 4 with 3 infants. We were worried how they would count us.

TheRustyScupper
01-11-2008, 11:22 AM
1) The jury is still out as to whether service will improve.
2) The removal of tipping can have two results
3) Improved service
. . . some non-Disney restaurants never got the 18%
. . . places like Chefs de France sometimes got as little as 5%
. . . they now could start to get good tips, again
. . . a definite attitude improver
4) Worse service
. . . people might figure tips are included
. . . or they might figure prices are high enough
. . . in either case, they scrimp on the tip
. . . this would be a major attitude deflater
5) I think we will have to wait and see.

Marilyn Michetti
01-11-2008, 11:44 AM
We weren't on ANY dining plan, and just two of us for breakfast, and the 18% was added.:confused:

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
01-11-2008, 01:10 PM
We weren't on ANY dining plan, and just two of us for breakfast, and the 18% was added.:confused:Where'd you eat? I believe it is included for all character breakfasts.

Natazu
01-11-2008, 10:48 PM
We weren't on ANY dining plan, and just two of us for breakfast, and the 18% was added.:confused:
Ya gotta watch 'em Marilyn. We've seen some "accidental" gratuities added on several occasions.

jszczur5
01-12-2008, 12:39 AM

Did you pay it? Did the fact that they arbitrarily added it make you less inclined to pay it, even if that was what you would normally have left as a tip?
For me, any server who automatically assumes that I would leave an 18% tip and grants himself one without my permission, automatically drops down to 10%.

Donald A
01-13-2008, 07:14 PM
I just got back yesterday from a week at WDW. I was not on the dining plan this time but we did have at least one table service meal every day. We ate at: Cape May Cafe, Le Cellier, Liberty Tree Tavern, Hollywood and Vine, Spoodles (breakfast) Garden Grill, and Captian's Grille (breakfast).

We had 8 people so the 18% was automatically entered in our bill. With the exception of breakfast at Captain's Grille (just slow service by a friendly server) our service was the best we have had on any trip. The servers went out of their way for us. I even tipped some of them beyond the 18% as I normally tip 20% for good service and this service was excellant.

linedropper
01-13-2008, 10:58 PM
We are arriving at DW this friday, We were there in 10-06 and had no problem with the dining plan. I have read everything and anything I can about the changes and the majority agrees that under 6 guests can leave what they want. I take my family out alot and always tip well. I dont feel like anyone should tell me how to tip. If the service is good I will tip accordingly. I will watch each check and see what happens. Plus they gave use enough food that I dont feel the appetizer will effect us anyway! Just save some unneeded calories! Just my 2 cents