PDA

View Full Version : height wristbands??

tink179
01-10-2008, 01:35 PM
We leave on Sunday for DW :mickey:, and this will be our 4th trip, but was wondering if anyone knew if you can get wristbands for your children based on their height, so cm know what rides they can go on. It's so frustrating when you have a child that is right at the height, and the cm have to determine if they can go on or not. I've had in the past my ds get to ride a ride, and then come back later, and they say sorry he can't get on because they couldn't really tell. Thanks for the help! :number1:

animalkingdomguy
01-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I have never seen wrist bands for this purpose. My kids were always checked. Some days we would ride the same ride twice. In the morning the CM would let one of my kids pass and in the afternoon another CM would stop them for height. It is all up to the CM working the queue.

Come to think, I have seen hand stamps used. But I am not sure where or when. But I distinctly remember one occasion when height verified and the childs hand was stamped.

tinklover
01-10-2008, 02:41 PM
We were there in May and the only wrist bands given out were for EMH . did not see hand stamps but most of the rides had a measurement sign you must be this tall to ride outside the que you can go here http://intercot.com/infocentral/park/rideheight.asp to check hieght requirements for rides and measure yoru kids before ya go and let em know what they can and can;t get on befor eya get there so they are not as dissappointed.
good luck and I hope you have a magical trip

katzctkpt
01-10-2008, 02:43 PM
I've only seen the hand stamp used. But, that does sound like a good idea about a wristband that they would get upon entering the park. Kinda like they do emh.

SpaceMtn101
01-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Cast members check the height because of the safety of the child. Dont be offended that a cast member double checks that they are tall enough to ride. Something that i have seen doing greeter at space that parents do after we check their height and they are tall enough is they make a huge deal and congraduate the kid for being tall enough. The kids love it and it makes us smile and congradulate the kids too and tell them to have fun. If i was out at greeter when i saw them come out and they get back in line i would make a huge deal out of it to make them feel special . We also have a magic moment for kids who are to small. But it depends on the cm how often they do it.
I used to work at an amusement park not affliated with Disney and kids would have a wristband on and we were still allowed to height check them if we chose to because we had parents who would switch the wristbands so the younger could could ride (had it happen)
Just be happy that we are protecting your kid and not trying to ruin your vacation :)

Melanie
01-10-2008, 05:34 PM
No, there isn't a wristband system for height checking.

Something similar to this was tried out a few years back at Disneyland, but the test failed and they went back to CMs checking heights at each ride.

DisneyCrazy4444
01-10-2008, 06:02 PM
you can get wristband

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
01-10-2008, 08:18 PM
you can get wristband

For height check?? I have never seen one in the past 10 years I have gone with kids. :confused:

Gottaluvgoof
01-10-2008, 08:34 PM
I don't know where they got it, but there was a group switching the wrist band from one child to another last time I was at AK, which was in September. It wasn't right, but I saw them do this so the one boy could go on Dinosaur. They were changing shirts, shoes, and hats between these two little boys so the one could ride. I don't think he was actually tall enough. Seems like a lot of trouble to me, but they sure were doing it, and it worked. Only reason I know this, I was sitting off in the area where people come off, waiting for my daughter and niece to come off the ride. They were plotting their strategy to get this kid on the ride.

Melanie
01-10-2008, 08:56 PM
For height check?? I have never seen one in the past 10 years I have gone with kids. :confused:

That's because there isn't a wristband system in place, unless I totally missed this one. :confused:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
01-10-2008, 09:00 PM
That's because there isn't a wristband system in place, unless I totally missed this one. :confused:

I was hoping that I wasn't the only one?!;)

Meteora
01-11-2008, 10:47 AM
As far as I know, unless they changed it very recently, height is checked on a ride-to-ride basis and there is no wristband system.

They were plotting their strategy to get this kid on the ride.

It absolutely stuns me that with all that people have read in the news about people being hurt or even killed on certain rides due to things like medical conditions, parents would still scheme to get their children onto rides that they are not tall enough for. Clearly the people who designed the ride know who would be safe riding it and who would not be and post rules and warnings accordingly. I'm sorry, but no matter how much fun Dinosaur or a roller coaster is, your child's safety is more important. I'm glad that most CMs recognize this even if some parents don't.

#1donaldfan
01-11-2008, 11:32 AM
A wrist band system would be too easy to cheat. I like the idea of several sets of eyes doing the job, it's for the kids safety, and that's paramount to me !! How much longer does it really take for them to have them stand under the thing?? Kids safety is a number one priority, and should be so in EVERYONES "book".

poeticeclipse
01-11-2008, 04:02 PM
A wrist band system would be too easy to cheat. I like the idea of several sets of eyes doing the job, it's for the kids safety, and that's paramount to me !! How much longer does it really take for them to have them stand under the thing?? Kids safety is a number one priority, and should be so in EVERYONES "book".

At first I was thinking "a wristband would be a great idea!" And then I read this about people cheating the system. Hadn't thought of that. It's sad that people would do it but I guess that's the world we live in.

Niecyboo
01-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I really appreciate having my kids checked repeatedly. Once at a local amusement park we were in line for a mild roller coaster and I wasn't sure if my son would be big enough so I kept warning him. When we get up there, they waved us on without checking. I actually had to ask them to check him and they said "don't worry about it, he looks big enough!" I insisted they try, but they did such a haphazard job that I was paranoid the entire ride.

After that I said never again. I trust Disney CMs to do what it right.

Polynesian Dweller
01-11-2008, 11:57 PM

Yep, and the first people who would sue when their kid was hurt on a ride would be those who 'cheated' to get them on. They would complain that Disney didn't do enough to prevent their kid from getting hurt. Probably why Disney doesn't use the wristbands.

Tigger&Stitch
01-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Hmm...a handstamp would be good though - no way to cheat the system there!

TheRustyScupper
01-12-2008, 11:32 AM

1) I don't know about that one.
2) We used to sneak into a lot of dance halls.
3) One gets a stamp, and everyone else takes a hit on it.
4) We could easily get four-for-the-price-of-one.
5) Plus, you pick the guy over 21.
6) Now, we not only got in free, but could drink other than "low" beer.

NOTE: There is no fool-proof system to determine height or age. Disney does its best. You can't please everyone, so you take the path of least resistance.

mickey&missy
01-12-2008, 02:32 PM

Your so right! It would be great if they had a system like this but people will think if absolutely amazing thing to cheat.

Polynesian Dweller
01-12-2008, 02:51 PM

People are amazing at their ability to cheat systems. I don't know how they'd do that with hand stamps but, with the scams I saw when I worked in recreational setting in my youth I know that anything is possible and someone would figure it out.

What really can't be cheated, is standing under the testing bar when asked by the CM. People have tried to cheat that with extra high soles on shoes etc. but those can be spotted.

Tigger&Stitch
01-12-2008, 03:31 PM
1) I don't know about that one.
2) We used to sneak into a lot of dance halls.
3) One gets a stamp, and everyone else takes a hit on it.
4) We could easily get four-for-the-price-of-one.
5) Plus, you pick the guy over 21.
6) Now, we not only got in free, but could drink other than "low" beer.

NOTE: There is no fool-proof system to determine height or age. Disney does its best. You can't please everyone, so you take the path of least resistance.

Wow! I would have never thought of that. Sheesh!

Like another poster said, it is difficult for me to understand why a parent would take the risk (if a parent is involved) of a child too small riding an inappropriate ride. :confused:

Kenny1113
01-12-2008, 04:09 PM
The only time I saw a wristband for height was at Kali river rapids, then they stamped the little one who gets to ride in the "jump seat". It really doesn't take that long for them to check the height it's not that big of a deal. I'm actually glad that they do it, I would rather them check if they're not sure then allow me to get on a ride that is not safe for my child.

mizzoumouse
01-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Our kids have gotten a KALI stamp at Kali River rapids and also a YETI stamp at EE. They LOVE getting the stamps, in fact, when we were there in November they are tall enough now that they dont have to be height checked, they were mad that they did not get the stamps!!! KIDS!!! :mickey: