PDA

View Full Version : Veteran of the Day at MK

5Megadisfans
01-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Do they still do this for the parade at MK? Any tips how to be picked for it, I have heard to ask, but cannot remember where?
I remember seeing a veteran raise the flag just as you walk into the park, and I believe he was in the parade and announced as veteran of the day.

ibrowse17
01-10-2008, 09:47 AM
There is a veteran involved in the Retreat ceremony each day at the MK, but not sure about the morning. I have tried, with no luck, to do this each trip.:thumbsup:

Also,
:welcome: to the Intercot family!!!

avantgardeinker
01-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I think there is a number you have to call in advance now. We got lucky in 2005. Walked into City Hall and my DFIL got to do it. He wasn't in the parade, but they did announce him as Veteran of the day and he got a certificate and a pin exclusive only to the VoD. The experience is well worth whatever trouble you have to go through to do it. I remember looking into again after that and seeing that you had to call in advance. It's apparently gotten pretty popular. Hopefully someone will come along with better info.

:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
01-10-2008, 01:22 PM
1) The veteran lowers the flag during the daily Flag Ceremony.
2) They do not accept phone calls or emails for this.
3) You must go to Town Hall in-person to arrange.
. . . walk into Town Hall and inquire
. . . if open, they give you the opportunity
. . . if full, they list other days available
. . . you meet approx 4:45pm for the flag lowering
. . . afterward you get a certificate

NOTE: A little trivia. They used to release pigeons during the ceremony. But they found out that hawks would gather at 5:00pm waiting for the pigeons. It was embarrassing to watch the birds get hunted in mid-air.

5Megadisfans
01-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks so much for you replies!

I am going to try to do this for my dad. We are going down in April and staying with him at Shades of Green.