PDA

View Full Version : Need help on selling my car...

BrerGnat
01-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey, I need some advice on those who have sold a car recently.

1. Where is the best place to list the car? I'm thinking of online listings.

2. The car will need a new battery very soon. It's a 5 year old car. Should I be the one to replace it or should I list is "as is" and account for that in the price I ask? We don't really have time to deal with the hassle of doing any work on it. We have to sell it quickly...

3. In the event it does not sell by Feb 1st, we are considering selling it off to Carmax. Has anyone done this? Do they give a fair price for your car?

Any other advice is appreciated.

tennantsrwe
01-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi!
We've had pretty good success with listing our last vehicle, and a proior camper trailer, on EBAY. It was a pretty simple listing process...you just have to be a member. (which is free is for some reason you aren't already an ebayer.) Just take some pictures, plug in the info and write a description. It was around $50 for us to list our last car...plus the final value fee. I think if you price accordingly and are honest you shouldn't have to replace the battery. As for CARMAX, my BIL was going to sell a vehicle to them earlier in 2007. He said it was a painless process. Take the car, they look it over and give you a written quote. Just make sure if there is a co-owner that they are there to sign everything if you accept the deal, they won't allow just one person to be there if there is two on the title. The only reason my BIL didn't use that route was becasue he decided to keep the vehicle for a while. I think he was pretty pleased with their offer. It can't hurt to try. You might actually want to try that route first and see if they're in your ballpark. The quote is good for 30 days so you would still have time to try and list it on your own. It might be worth your while to let them buy it, especially if you're in a hurry and they are close to your asking price. Hope this helps!

caryrae
01-09-2008, 03:27 PM
you could try carsoup it costs $25 til it sells for the ad. I haven't sold a car on it but have looked for cars on there site.

For the battery, It may just be better to change it yourself, very easy to do. Then you can put "new battery" in you description.

mook3y
01-09-2008, 04:07 PM
i have used craigslist and its free. :) was sold in less than 3 days.

BrerGnat
01-09-2008, 04:39 PM
i have used craigslist and its free. :) was sold in less than 3 days.

I plan to do Craigslist as well (since it's free), but for some reason, around here not too many people use it. I've not had much luck listing other things for sale on Craigslist...