PDA

View Full Version : Rides that close in the rain

TBY2225
01-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Can anyone give me a list of rides that close if it is raining? Also, does this hold true if it is just misting or sprinkling lightly?

MickeyMousse
01-09-2008, 01:05 PM
We rode Test Track in the rain last visit. Later, when we came back for our Fast Pass time, the thunder rolled in they stopped the ride as per a CM.

JPL
01-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Test Track closes in the rain it could drizzle for a minute and the ride closes for hours until the track dries.

Most other like Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Monorail, Kali River and outdoor coasters only close for lightning.

But Heavy rains can also close some of the outdoor coasters as well.

SBETigg
01-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Test Track closes in the rain it could drizzle for a minute and the ride closes for hours until the track dries.

This isn't necessarily the case. I've been on Test Track in light rain, and I've been on it less than an hour after heavy rain. Maybe the track dries faster in hot weather. The ride does seem to close more frequently than most, though, for any number of issues.

McGoofy
01-09-2008, 01:48 PM
This past October, TT was closed a good bit of the day, and the CM told us that it was due to the rain. We have ridden Splash Mountain in the rain. CM told us that it would only close for lightning. Another time at MK, it had rained most of the day, and the afternoon parade couldn't run, but they did do a special "Rainy Day Character Calvacade Parade" instead. Some of the characters were dressed in rainjackets or carrying umbrellas. Most of the characters like the prince/princesses and such were in the double decker character buses. There was even special music to go along with it...a very catchy "dribble dribble, splash splash" song that more than 2 years later is still stuck in my head. The parade was short, but it was a nice substitute over the other option--no parade at all on a rainy day. As for rides, I think most keep running unless it is lightning. The added bonus is the lines get really short!!:rain:

Meteora
01-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Along those lines, what happens on nights when it rains? Do the evening fireworks and shows not happen?

I remember one year a "shortened version" of the electrical light parade when it was alternately drizzling and raining moderately. But I imagine,for instance, that Fantasmic would have to be canceled. And wouldn't that happen quite often? It rains a lot in Florida!

DisFan01
01-09-2008, 05:01 PM
This isn't necessarily the case. I've been on Test Track in light rain, and I've been on it less than an hour after heavy rain. Maybe the track dries faster in hot weather. The ride does seem to close more frequently than most, though, for any number of issues.

I think that they close it when thunder or lightning is a certain distance away...

katzctkpt
01-09-2008, 05:42 PM
I know when thunder and lightening starts most of the water rides shut down not sure on some of the others. One night at MK they cancelled the early parade and the crowds cleared out. Then the heat had dried up most of the streets and they shot the fireworks at 10 and the late parade at 11. It was really nice not crowded and had cooled down from the 100 temp during the day. Epcot it was raining steady not hard but, they put the firework show on. MGM cancelled the early showing of Fantasmic but, showed the late one. So, I guess it varies on the rain amount.

garymacd
01-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Big Thunder Mountain doesn't close in the rain...we got soaked! But so much fun.

It was one of those weird days. Sun and cloud and sudden rainstorms. It was also a quiet day at the park. We had just finished riding BTMRR and pulled back into the station. There was no one waiting in line, so the loader just told us all to keep our seats and away we went again. By the time we pulled out of the tunnel, it had gone from sunny to pouring.

Great fun!

magicofdisney
01-10-2008, 11:01 AM
If there's lightning nearby, the Railroad shuts down at MK. I think it's the lightening that shuts down most things, not rain (although rain may keep the parades from running).

animalkingdomguy
01-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Not much stops for rain. We were in WDW in Aug 2006 when Tropical Storm Ernesto blew through Lake Buena Vista. We were out at Epcot during the height of the storm watching Illuminations. It was raining so hard that the torch that comes up and out of the globe would not light. It rained everyday of that trip. After that week I never wanted to see another poncho as long as I lived. If I remember they closed test track. Other than that it takes lightning to close rides.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I was actually pleasantly surprised at how many rides stay open in the rain, from my experience it has more to do with thunder and lightening than rain.

My poor DD loves to swim, but we tended to go back to the hotel in the late afternoon, just when the daily t-storms would roll in.

laward32
01-10-2008, 07:13 PM
[quote=Meteora;1512617]Along those lines, what happens on nights when it rains? Do the evening fireworks and shows not happen?

When we were there in October (It rained every day, but the day we left, of course) on the Tues we went to MNSSHP it misted most of the night and started raining pretty good right before the 2nd parade. We stopped and asked a CM about the fireworks and parade. He said it depended on how heavy the rain was. The parade was cancelled, but as we were leaving the fireworks started so we watched them then left.:mickey:

Main Street Jim
01-12-2008, 07:20 AM
You guys are all correct ;)

Outdoor attractions still run *in the rain*; it's the lightning that will temporarily close such attractions. At MK, those attractions are Astro Orbiter, Dumbo, Aladdin, WDW Railroad, Splash, Thunder, Barnstormer, Jungle Cruise, Tea Cups (I think), Speedway, and TTA. Everything else will remain open. Thunder is actually faster in the rain! :thumbsup:!

Fantasmic! will not run if it's raining, due to the safety of the performers; same with parades. If it's sprinkling, we'll run the Rainy Day Calvalcade for the afternoon parade, but if it's heavy rain, forget it. There is no second option for Spectro. Fireworks at MK will usually go off, just with no Tink.