PDA

View Full Version : Bad crash this morning in FL on I-4 today between Tampa and Orlando

murphy1
01-09-2008, 11:46 AM
This is probably one of the most heavily traveled roads in the state. I know personally how careful you have to be on this road under normal conditions. Friends there, be careful!

LAKELAND, Fla. - About 50 cars crashed on a highway blanketed by fog and smoke from a brush fire in central Florida on Wednesday, and local officials said at least three people were killed.

A stretch of nearly 15 miles of Interstate 4 between Tampa and Orlando was closed by several accidents, including the 50-car pileup. Aerial footage showed the soupy mix of fog and smoke covering the landscape for miles and giving the sky an eerie golden color.

Polk County officials said numerous tractor trailers overturned on the roadway, including a tanker.

The poor visibility hampered rescue efforts, forcing officials to walk along the closed stretch of I-4 checking individual vehicles for injuries, Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Larry Coggins said.

Polk County officials gave the figure of three dead, but Coggins said the poor conditions prevented him from confirming that.

"No one has been able to see this thing in its entirety yet," Coggins said.

Robert Ellison said he was heading east on the highway about 6 a.m. when he narrowly avoided a collision.

"Everything came to a halt," Ellison told The Tampa Tribune and WFLA-TV. "You can't see your hand in front of your face."

Firefighters on Tuesday had battled a controlled burn that got out of control and charred 250 acres, producing smoke that combined with the fog to cut visibility Wednesday morning.

disneydrmr
01-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I heard about this. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.

bleukarma
01-09-2008, 12:30 PM
The news this morning was showing aerial shots but the fog and smoke was so low that you couldn't really see anything. Even the tree tops were above the fog. It's awful!!! Travelling I-4 is a mess anyway, but with the fog and smoke from the wildfires it just caused so much trouble. My thoughts and prays to go anyone involved!!!

PirateLover
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
WOW! How scary. Prayers for everyone, especially families of the deceased.

Not2Loud
01-09-2008, 01:01 PM
I am down here off of I-4 this morning in Polk City, visiting family.

Turned on the news this morning and it was amazing to look at. The fog honestly looked like a snow-blanketed area!

ncscgirl2005
01-09-2008, 01:28 PM
I just read about that on CNN.com. Man that is horrible. I-4 was pretty bad when we were down there in August; lots of construction.

jillluvsdisney
01-09-2008, 01:48 PM
I just read about this on CNN a few minutes ago. Yikes!! We have a very large pile up on I90outside of Madison last week due to fog,

MushuMulan
01-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I find it hard to believe they're still doing control burns by I-4, there's already a number of barren forests on the side of the road from previous fires.

Regardless, I've driven on I-4 many times, never thought such a bad accident could happen there.

With as bad visibility as they made out to be, I'm suprised officials didn't close the highway down in advance, that was just asking for trouble. Although, I just watch a news cast of it, showing that the fog rolled in during the night, which made conditions horrible. Guess it was too late to close it at the point, although I think under these circumstances they could have an emergency shutdown.

My prayers go out to the victims and the families.

Terra
01-10-2008, 08:00 AM
They are still cleaning up this morning....and If I heard right that part of I4 is still closed too!

It's so hard to even see the footage on TV....My heart goes out to the families that lost loved ones and those that are in critical condition...

katzctkpt
01-10-2008, 08:07 AM
My prayers are for the families who have lost a loved one .
I had just watched a news forecaster say that they rank fog on a scale of 1-10 and had ranked that a 10. They said if police officials would've closed the road or reduced speed due to visibility that it may have helped or prevented such an accident.
I really hate to travel on real busy interests I-81 & 95 are my 2 least favorites. Last yr during our trip back a bad storm hit interstate 95 so, we ended up taking a secondary rd the speed and traffic was less I felt more relaxed. My DH was like we should've stayed on the interstate this rd is never ending. I didn't care I felt less stress at that time.

tinkerbell04
01-10-2008, 10:55 AM
I saw the coverage of this on Good Morning America and it was a sight to be seen, but my prayers certaily do go out to the families that have been affected.

bleukarma
01-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Darren Scott Snyder worked in engineering services on the maintenance team at Animal Kingdom and he lost his life on the I-4 crash.

Darren, thanks for the magic you helped bring to many families at Animal Kingdom! Rest in Peace.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-13-2008, 12:00 AM
I just heard about the full scope of this today. My thoughts and prayers to all who lost their lives or were injured in this.