PDA

View Full Version : Starbuck's Fans

caryrae
01-08-2008, 06:44 PM
I just heard on the news that Starbucks is going to have a coffee bar in all the US Mcdonald's.

Dixie Springs
01-08-2008, 06:53 PM
I believe the story is that McDonald's is opening their own coffe bars within their existing restaurants to compete with Starbucks. They are supposed to have the 'baristas', and all that funny stuff.

PS - Michigan is one of the test markets, and it's supposed to be $.60 cheaper than Starbucks. I'll give it a try.

caryrae
01-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Ah ok thats what they were talkin about. Thanks

NotaGeek
01-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Hmmm. Now I don't know how that will jive since McDonalds just launched their own coffee for $2.99 ... now they will compete in-house with Starubucks? Weird. :confused:

-- OH ... so you quick people already answered my question! :mickey:

Now if Starbucks could just open a store at DTD!

dolphinmickey9170
01-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Now, don't you all kill me, but:

I hate Starbucks.:sick:

IC10
01-08-2008, 08:12 PM
OK since I actually work for Starbucks I feel the need to answer in this thread. Yes McDonalds is hiring baristas. Granted they will get customers but I think people that are addicted to Starbucks will still come I do not think McDonalds is the ideal place to hang out and surf the web while you listen to kids screaming at the top of their lungs in the ball pool. :) McDonalds stocks increased last year Starbucks fell and we just fired our CEO. Look for changes in the year ahead.

Bethis26fan
01-08-2008, 08:20 PM
OK since I actually work for Starbucks I feel the need to answer in this thread. Yes McDonalds is hiring baristas. Granted they will get customers but I think people that are addicted to Starbucks will still come I do not think McDonalds is the ideal place to hang out and surf the web while you listen to kids screaming at the top of their lungs in the ball pool. :) McDonalds stocks increased last year Starbucks fell and we just fired our CEO. Look for changes in the year ahead.

I agree it would be nice to just grab a cup and go from Micky D's but on the rare times I get to sit down with friends and enjoy a cup I would much rather sit at starbucks in the oversize chairs talking w/ friends. Plus you can beat an Ice Caramel Macchiato.

MegaDisney
01-08-2008, 08:30 PM
First off, I don't go to Starbucks to hang out and surf the web, I go in to get coffee and get out and I must admit that they fail to deliver more often than not. I don't understand the system of having one person take your order and write on the cup (I have said my order once at this point, and I am usually required to say it a couple of times more due to the person not listening or differences from Starbucks to Starbucks on what to call my drink), then I have to tell another person who rings my drink and again usually have to repeat it more than once for the above reason. It is a time consuming waste of personnel if you ask me.

Secondly, I have heard nothing but good things about McDonalds coffee and look forward to trying the coffee bar there. Some of the McDonalds in the Phoenix area have gone quite "upscale" with large plasma televisions, leather seating and water features in the dining area. The childrens areas are separated from the dining areas. I can see people sitting and enjoying there cheaper coffee while enjoying CNN.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Now, don't you all kill me, but:

I hate Starbucks.:sick:

:jaw:

BLASPHEMY!!!

I kid, I kid... I think we might still be able to tolerate you... lol :mickey:

SBETigg
01-08-2008, 08:35 PM
I do go to Starbuck's about once a week to meet a friend for coffee. We linger a long time and enjoy the environment. I can't see myself doing this at McDonald's. It's not just about the coffee. Starbuck's has two different kinds of customers- the quick in and out and the ones who go for the space. That said, the financial reporter who broke this news to me seemed to think it was really bad news for Starbuck's and that it would definitely dent their business further.

ncscgirl2005
01-08-2008, 09:07 PM
I do go to Starbuck's about once a week to meet a friend for coffee. We linger a long time and enjoy the environment. I can't see myself doing this at McDonald's. It's not just about the coffee. Starbuck's has two different kinds of customers- the quick in and out and the ones who go for the space. That said, the financial reporter who broke this news to me seemed to think it was really bad news for Starbuck's and that it would definitely dent their business further.

I am one of the in and out customers but I like knowing in the back of my mind that that comfy space is there if I should need it. Most of my friends don't drink coffee so they will not meet me at Starbucks. I cannot see myself going to McDonalds to "relax" with a cup of coffee unless it is one of the newer McDonalds (without a play area).

caryrae
01-08-2008, 11:09 PM
I guess I could see a group of mom's going to Mcdonalds grabbing a cup of coffee and gabbing while kids play in the playland.

Myself I am a Starbucks lover. I really love the white chocolate mocha. We actually have 4 Starbucks in our town and it's not that big a town, don't see that need for 4 but I do like the new one with the drive thru. They make the coffees pretty quick there.

SBETigg
01-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Myself I am a Starbucks lover. I really love the white chocolate mocha. We actually have 4 Starbucks in our town and it's not that big a town, don't see that need for 4 but I do like the new one with the drive thru. They make the coffees pretty quick there.

We have a Starbuck's in town but no McDonald's or any other fast food chain, making it more convenient for people in my town to go to Starbuck's than McD's, which is probably an unusual case. Our Starbuck's doesn't have a drive-thru.

Mufasa
01-09-2008, 07:09 AM
If McDonald's can create and launch some weird character like Grimace or the Hamburglar for coffee drinks then it's all over for Starbucks.

Ok, seriously- it's an interesting move for McDonald's but I'm not sure just how successful it will be.

One of the major challenges for McDonald's will be getting their franchises to really commit to this. With Starbucks, the majority of their stores are company-operated (they don't franchise their stores- they do have licensing agreements with some partners like some grocery store chains or places like Barnes & Noble) but Starbucks is able to have more control over their operation in this regard.

Where the McDonald's franchises will also face difficulty is in education- both of staff and customers. They need to get up to speed on the coffee lingo- grande, half-caf, etc. From what I saw in the Wall Street Journal they are trying to streamline/simplify things and just go with small, medium, large sizes and standardize on their drink choices (not much on specialty drinks).

Is the average McDonald's customer really interested in fancy coffee drinks in some markets? Where the McCafe's didn't succeed I think was because they were sectioned off from the rest of the stores (they tried to be a store within a store) and as a result not linked to their drive through operation. Big mistake that I think they want to address this time around.

However, they're placing a lot emphasis on the barristas as theater and that doesn't play into the strength of what McDonalds can offer.

Where McDonalds has the advantage over Starbucks is that McDs is already equipped to handle food preparation in-store while it was an add-on later at Starbucks to try and increase sales.

I think it's telling again that the WSJ mentioned that Starbucks was disappointed that the average education and income level of their customers has dropped over the years and pointed that to being a big part of their slowdown in sales. In reality, I think their aggressive rollout (at one point they were averaging 7 new store openings a day) started to cannibalize customers from their own stores.

I still prefer to support the local places that actually will roast their coffees in-store for example over the big chain operations.