PDA

View Full Version : You Know what Grinds my gears?

Jobasha3000
01-08-2008, 04:18 PM
On my most recent trip to disney, I was at the Japanese pavilion walking around, taking in the sights, when a group of like 10-15 of the ever present japanophilic teenage mallgoths wandered in and started yelling and screaming, eating candy and throwing the wrappers on the ground, generally acting out, and nobody did anything. I know theres probably not a Hot Topic nearby, but do they need to do this?

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-08-2008, 05:07 PM
You are always going to have unsupervised kids act up...some don't but a lot feel like they've got to do something to be cool in front of their friends...the last time we went we had a pair of teens going around asking everyone for a cigarette...my son wonders why I've told him he can't go around the parks by himself on our next trip (he'll be 14)...that's one reason other than the obvious-safety.

LONESTAR
01-08-2008, 05:59 PM
From the name of this thread I thought you were having problems with a transmission :funny: . But I understand I have had people in line like that before and it drives the DW nuts. So sometimes I will tell them to cool it. Most of the time they do.

dolphinmickey9170
01-08-2008, 06:27 PM
I usually throw out the nasty glare and a snide remark. Makes me feel better, even if they don't stop. I cannot stand unsupervised misbehaving children of all ages.

Jobasha3000
01-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Haha, no my transmission is fine. Thing is, I'm their age and dont want to tell them not to act like that or they'll probably gang up on me or something. Maybe I can pull out some trendy alternative-rock cd and throw it and they will go running after it

DisneyCrazy4444
01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm a 14 year old and i think it is just dumb to act like that it drives me crazy:mad:, I'm also scared to say something because kid my age are mean and heaven help you if your their age and you say something.

Jobasha3000
01-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Amen to that. I'm a senior in high school and my locker is in the freshman wing and its just ... oh god ... but I dont want to seem like scrooge and criticize people enjoying themselves. They should just realize that there are lines that shouldnt be crossed

kdkhopper
01-08-2008, 06:47 PM
A big "Thank You" to our young intercottees and your disappointment in the poor behavior of others your age. It gives me hope that my own young children can be responsible and respectful teenagers someday! :thumbsup:

DisneyCrazy4444
01-08-2008, 07:08 PM
It also get me asking why act so crazy when you could be having more fun at Disney World riding the ride or something.

Jobasha3000
01-08-2008, 07:19 PM
I think the answer lies in the fact that kids feel the need to constantly impress their friends to stay on top of some intangible social ladder (for those who feel the need to do so) and in todays fast paced society of been-there-done-that-bought-the-t-shirt-ers the only way to "impress" them is to act crass or vulgar in a manner that would make them laugh. Stupid world-weary teens.

MushuMulan
01-08-2008, 07:36 PM
As I'm also the same age I agree. It's people like them that give teenagers that actually go to the park to enjoy the experience, a bad name.

For some reason they think they are superior to everyone around them, and to keep that superiority they have to do obscene acts, and be more obnoxious than a crying 1 year old (no offense to any moms out there, I was there once too).

No matter how much I wish I could do something about it, I know it's not my place, nor my responsibility. I go to the park to enjoy myself, not get involved in a fight with some other teens who think they're better than me.

The best you can do is just notify a CM and hope they act on it.

Darbylew
01-08-2008, 07:38 PM
We have heard and seen things like this at
WDW and other places as well. We just move
on and pretend we didn't hear or see anything
as I think they just want attention. :(

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-08-2008, 07:44 PM
ehhhh... sometimes kids just think that in order to be cool or impress their friends they have to act like complete idiots... because nothing screams cool like ticking off an entire theme park full of Disney fans...

Jobasha3000
01-08-2008, 08:16 PM
maybe when I go in march I'll be in a pod with some obnoxious kids in mission space and I can be like LISTEN UP!!! IF WE DONT WORK TOGETHER WE'LL ALL DIE OUT IN SPACE!!!

DisFan01
01-08-2008, 08:24 PM
I know where you're coming from. I'm 14... and I can't stand it when kids the same age or even OLDER than me act like their trying to ruin everyone's vacation. It's all a part of trying to act cool or show off in front of your friends. It's great to have fun and act goofy sometimes, but like you said, there is a boundary that shouldn't really be crossed... :mickey:

Thanks DisneyCrazy4444! I finally found someone the same age as me here!! :blush:

Jobasha3000
01-08-2008, 08:38 PM
yay well balanced teenagers on intercot!

LONESTAR
01-08-2008, 09:02 PM
I am just wondering those of you in your teens do you stay with your parents when your in the parks or not. I am 29 now and until I got married 7 years
ago I stayed with my parents' in the parks but it was a family vacation. Me and my older sister did go to PI by ourselves. My point was less problems arise when you are with your parents.

P.S. please tell me yall aren't the happy teens behind me in line doing the cheers during pop warner week.:mickey:

dteed
01-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I can only hope that my 14yr old will behave while away from us. He is going th WDW with his high school band for Easter. We will be around them but no supervising them so I hope they behave. I am confident they will they seen to be a very good group of young adults.

DisFan01
01-08-2008, 09:11 PM
I am just wondering those of you in your teens do you stay with your parents when your in the parks or not. I am 29 now and until I got married 7 years
ago I stayed with my parents' in the parks but it was a family vacation. Me and my older sister did go to PI by ourselves. My point was less problems arise when you are with your parents.

P.S. please tell me yall aren't the happy teens behind me in line doing the cheers during pop warner week.:mickey:

Actually, I do stay with my parents (I'm 14). It just makes me feel more comfortable and like it's more of a Family vacation. They have said that some time if I invite a friend, we could go out on our own and meet them at a certain time. Of course we wouldn't act up, because all of my friends are calm, relaxed, and act normal (most of the time)... :thumbsup:

Jobasha3000
01-08-2008, 09:52 PM

No, I'm not a cheerleader (I'm a guy), I'm with a chorus, however I dont sing in line, though I may for fun with an acapella group. And to answer the question about with parents or not, my parents and I are pretty close in attitudes and ideas and I'm more of a friend to them than someone they have to control, so I have no reason to leave them to walk around alone, they're a fun bunch.

LONESTAR
01-08-2008, 09:57 PM
To be honest I never even thought of going through the parks with out my parents when I was a teen. Now when we were at home you could not find me and my buddies.

MushuMulan
01-08-2008, 10:32 PM

Haha, I remember that week there was so many cheerleaders at the parks :). But no, that wasn't me, I'm not a cheerleader I'm afraid ;).

But anyways, I usually always go to the park with my parents, my mom especially. She seems to share my interests in Disney more than anyone else I know so it's always a blast to go with her.

I tried going with a friend once, but it didn't turn out as well becacuse he wasn't quite as enthusiastic all the time.

As for walking around the park by myself, I could do that but I know it would quickly get boring, having someone who enjoys the parks as much as you do is half the fun.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Okay, I have to stop this thread right here!!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a Japanoholic!

I'm 23 and I despise most people my age, including the vast majority of the CPs. See, you teenagers don't have it so bad. At my age, all everyone I know cares about is drinking, drinking, drinking, illegal drugs, partying, getting some action, drinking, action, and more drinking.

So that's why I have so few friends. I like to think that humans are evolving, not devolving.

Melanie
01-09-2008, 01:17 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a Japanoholic!

After reviewing the thread, I don't see where anyone says there is something wrong with being a Japanoholic. I have to admit though, I've never even heard that term (and I live in Japan!). :confused:

The OP was pointing out undesirable actions by members of this certain group while they were at WDW. It's actually nice to see so many teenagers here on INTERCOT who feel these actions are wrong and actually like hanging with their parents. :thumbsup:

That said, this is a good time to remind everyone to be considerate and respectful of your fellow INTERCOTees when posting.

Spaceship Tigger
01-09-2008, 07:37 AM
We have heard and seen things like this at
WDW and other places as well. We just move
on and pretend we didn't hear or see anything
as I think they just want attention. :(

I remember being a teenager and ending up in groups a couple of times that acted like this on trips and in parks. They know that they're bothering people - it's completely intentional. They want people to turn away and be uncomfortable around them. However, the last thing they want is to be confronted by adults. For the most part, being confronted will cause them to stop whatever it is that they're doing, at least for a while.

katzctkpt
01-09-2008, 09:38 AM
I love being at disney and seeing teens with their families laughing and having fun. You don't see that a lot anymore. We have a dd teen and when we go she's with us and having fun.

xipetotec
01-09-2008, 09:42 AM
On my most recent trip to disney, I was at the Japanese pavilion walking around, taking in the sights, when a group of like 10-15 of the ever present japanophilic teenage mallgoths wandered in and started yelling and screaming, eating candy and throwing the wrappers on the ground, generally acting out, and nobody did anything. I know theres probably not a Hot Topic nearby, but do they need to do this?

Well fortunately my 14 year old does not act up like this. though I wonder what Hot Topic and "goth" has to do with it. My wife is somewhat on the goth side, and yes, even as an adult shops there and I can't help but feel that looking/dressing different gets you singled out. I'm sorry, but what I've seen is jocks being incredibly loud and obnoxious. Let's not forget the football team riots at the Pop Century last month.

All I'm saying is that its not "personal style" that dictates behaviour. And behaviour like that is not excusable from ANY teen OR adult for that matter.

Meteora
01-09-2008, 10:22 AM
ago I stayed with my parents' in the parks but it was a family vacation.

I'm 23 and my sister is 19, and when we're on a family vacation, we stay with our parents. There are certain days, of course, that our parents choose to stay home and read and we go by ourselves, and we have also taken trips on our own, but our parents have always raised us to be...well, decent human beings. We always try to watch our language and make sure we're wearing appropriate attire when in the parks, and we always try to be polite and have gotten into great discussions with other park goers about Hidden Mickeys and line-avoiding strategies. As much as we love the parks, we understand how special they are for everyone and would never do anything to jeopardize that.

On our last trip, as we entered Epcot for EMH, while people were still streaming towards the exit after regular hours, a young lady was sitting by the side of one of the "streets", screaming loudly into her cell phone. She was obviously very upset (sounded like a fight with a boyfriend) and loudly yelling curses. We walked by her and rolled our eyes, but with the volume she was yelling, we estimated another minute or so before someone came along and removed her. She was not being discrete.

CaptainJessica, I totally sympathize with you. Few people our age have grown up, if that makes any sense.

Disneyatic
01-09-2008, 12:26 PM
You run into these groups of teens at all sorts of places! The mall, the movies, theme parks, restaurants. I always ask myself "Wow, was I like that??" and then I follow that with "How can I make sure that my daughter ISN'T like that!"

The posts on this thread from teens that are levelheaded are very encouraging!
:thumbsup: to you for respecting yourself and others while out in public!!

tink&cinderblabla2185
01-09-2008, 12:44 PM
my husband and I are in our early 20's and we aren't the type who are all about drinking. illegal drugs, getting some. we are taking our 3 year old dd:princess: on her first ever disney trip and I hope not to see any teenagers acting up. I know I'm not much older but I use to help out at the local skating rink and I won't take any of that kind of acting up, especially at someplace like Disney. as for teens going out on their own at Disney, my sister and I went to the parks especially Epcot and Magic Kingdom by ourselves when we were in our late teens and we felt responsible and loved being able to do whatever we wanted. don't get me wrong we loved doing things with our parents (in fact my sister and her husband and our parents are going with us) but it was a lot of fun doing the parks alone with the person with whom you grew up and with whom you were the closest. :mickey:

animalkingdomguy
01-09-2008, 02:31 PM
I may sound like a grumpy old man, you know the one who spends his time sitting in a barbershop reading the paper or watching the news all the while complaining about the way it used to be, but some kids today don't have the proper fetchin' up. When I was a child, I had a parent at home when I got out of school. My parents knew where I was, whom I was with and what I was doing. There were consequences for my actions and I was taught respect for authority, property and myself. And yes, I know that there have been unruly, undisciplined kids from the dawn of time. However, today with too many latchkey kids roaming as they please without any real boundaries, discipline or consequences we are creating an ever-growing population of kids lacking the proper social graces necessary to function in a polite society.

There, now I'm stepping off my soapbox and hobbling back to the barbershop.

xipetotec
01-09-2008, 02:37 PM
I may sound like a grumpy old man, you know the one who spends his time sitting in a barbershop reading the paper or watching the news all the while complaining about the way it used to be, but some kids today don't have the proper fetchin' up. When I was a child, I had a parent at home when I got out of school. My parents knew where I was, whom I was with and what I was doing. There were consequences for my actions and I was taught respect for authority, property and myself. And yes, I know that there have been unruly, undisciplined kids from the dawn of time. However, today with too many latchkey kids roaming as they please without any real boundaries, discipline or consequences we are creating an ever-growing population of kids lacking the proper social graces necessary to function in a polite society.

I think you are more than right!
I defended personal style up above in a seperate entry, and how people should not use THAT to judge. ANd I will agree with you 100% that a lot of the problem is lack of actual parenting. Some would get mad at the use of those words, but I'm sorry. More and more, people are letting kids raise themselves and the kids are left to "be the boss" so to speak.

My wife and I always know where my kids are, who they are with. I feel we are strict, but fair.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Oh, the wasn't anything about being a Japanoholic (or Japanaphilic, which is what the OP used).

I'm just stating I was one and I'm not like that. Although I have an unnatural attraction to any person from Japan.

A Japanoholic (or-philic) is someone from America who is overly obsessed with everything and anything related to Japan (although I show restraint). They will usually eat sushi and pocky on a regular basis, watch lots of anime, and try to speak what little Japanese they've learned from it.

Wait...nvm, I am a Japanoholic. Watashi wa otaku desu!

MushuMulan
01-09-2008, 06:34 PM

My circumstances right now are just about the same as yours were when you were a kid. In my opinion (and not meaning to offend anyone if I do), some parents work so hard to get money and food on the table they forget about another important job, to be a parent.

I'm not saying this is neccesarily true in all cases, actually it's probably just a weak-stereotype, but that's what I've seen from personal experience.

I guess rather than complain though, I should just be grateful for myself, which I am :).

Oh, the wasn't anything about being a Japanoholic (or Japanaphilic, which is what the OP used).

I'm just stating I was one and I'm not like that. Although I have an unnatural attraction to any person from Japan.

A Japanoholic (or-philic) is someone from America who is overly obsessed with everything and anything related to Japan (although I show restraint). They will usually eat sushi and pocky on a regular basis, watch lots of anime, and try to speak what little Japanese they've learned from it.

Wait...nvm, I am a Japanoholic. Watashi wa otaku desu!

Although I'm probably not as dedicated as you to Japan, and considering the only Japanese I know is "Hello" and "Thank you", I'd have to say I love Japan too. I do watch some anime, and I LOVE sushi. Probably my favorite part of going to the Japan pavilion is the Terriyaki Chicken, and getting the "Marble" Soda.

I'd have to say it's one of my favorite pavilions, which is why I'd hate to see other teens downgrade the great experience it gives.

thrillme
01-09-2008, 07:25 PM
maybe when I go in march I'll be in a pod with some obnoxious kids in mission space and I can be like LISTEN UP!!! IF WE DONT WORK TOGETHER WE'LL ALL DIE OUT IN SPACE!!!

:haha::haha::haha::rotfl::rotfl: This got me chuckling. I kinda pictured someone screaming this as soon as the ride took off and everyone was sealed in. Nothing can shut an obnoxious teen up quicker than thinking they're TRAPPED in a small compartment with a CRAZY person. HA HA.

Maybe in the Japanese pavillion someone should have run through the middle of them screaming GODZILLA...TAKE COVER....RUN....

One day these teens will hopefully be on the other side of the fence and be embarrassed by their actions.

Here we go again...
01-09-2008, 07:48 PM
I just want to say how happy I am that this thread has stayed on track and that everyone is being so thoughtful with their comments.
This thread could have turned really ugly.

That just goes to show that our Intercot teens are a great group.... :thumbsup:
Hmmmm.... maybe the teens are a little more mature than some of us adults. :blush:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-09-2008, 08:13 PM

I completely agree... and thank-you. I am a substitute teacher and it is very true that most of the kids in the younger generation really have no respect for adults, their parents or themselves. There are always exceptions, so please note I am not saying all...

DrWorm2008
01-09-2008, 08:40 PM
I have been going to Disney since I was a toddler. My parents started letting me go to the parks alone or with another friend when I turned 12. :mickey: I can't tell you how cool it was to explore the parks without the 'rents slowing me down or wanting to see every show in WDW. I always made sure I was on my best behavior, because I didn't want to lose that freedom. Thankfully, i never got in trouble, although I do remember jumping of the cable car on Main Street, and getting chased down by Disney Security and scolded. :drill:
Oh, well. My point is, people who act up and drive other people nuts usually won't be able to do it for long, because Disney won't stand for it! :thumbsup:

Jobasha3000
01-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I go away for 7 hours and everyone blames me for discriminating.....I'm very sorry to all those who I may have offended with the goth or japanophile (fine, otaku) part. Don't get me wrong, I'm sitting among pocky boxes and gundam action figures right now listening to skinny puppy, I'm an active member of both groups I mentioned. But think about it, while we all know jocks are plenty worse, would they be at the japanese pavilion? no, they'd be at the german one getting drunk. And I suppose I meant more metal-heads than classic goths, these were cannibal corpse fans.

All I was trying to say is that teens have a tendency to be an overwhelming force in these places, and that as a member of the age group upset by their actions, I was at a loss for what to do. I suppose keeping to myself and not being a loud person would be good enough to convince adults that Disney can be a magical experience, not just for the younger generation.

xipetotec
01-10-2008, 09:19 AM
I go away for 7 hours and everyone blames me for discriminating.....I'm very sorry to all those who I may have offended with the goth or japanophile (fine, otaku) part. Don't get me wrong, I'm sitting among pocky boxes and gundam action figures right now listening to skinny puppy, I'm an active member of both groups I mentioned. But think about it, while we all know jocks are plenty worse, would they be at the japanese pavilion? no, they'd be at the german one getting drunk. And I suppose I meant more metal-heads than classic goths, these were cannibal corpse fans.

All I was trying to say is that teens have a tendency to be an overwhelming force in these places, and that as a member of the age group upset by their actions, I was at a loss for what to do. I suppose keeping to myself and not being a loud person would be good enough to convince adults that Disney can be a magical experience, not just for the younger generation.

Well now you're delving more into my side ( as opposed to my wife's ) ... I used to be a teen metal head ( sounds like a movie ). Heh. but no worries, I'm not trying to start an arguement AND I see what you're saying regarding unruly teens. But again, musical/personal style does not account for just plain rude and not-well-raised children. And kids like that, whether they're goth, jock, metal, preppy, WHATEVER, are just not well behaved and should learn some respect when in public.

garymacd
01-10-2008, 10:01 AM
From the name of this thread I thought you were having problems with a transmission :funny:

Me too! I personally hate it when someone tries to drive without the clutch and without the benefit of lessons on how to do it.

As for the real topic: I have never experienced this kind of behaviour at the parks. Hope I never do.

DisneyCrazy4444
01-10-2008, 04:19 PM

Im 14 and i also stay with my Parents because i think it much safer to stay with your parents

DisneyCrazy4444
01-10-2008, 04:24 PM
I know where you're coming from. I'm 14... and I can't stand it when kids the same age or even OLDER than me act like their trying to ruin everyone's vacation. It's all a part of trying to act cool or show off in front of your friends. It's great to have fun and act goofy sometimes, but like you said, there is a boundary that shouldn't really be crossed... :mickey:

Thanks DisneyCrazy4444! I finally found someone the same age as me here!! :blush:

i know i did think there was anyone my age on here either but i found a few people through this tread and im glad that im not the only 14 year old on here :joy::joy:

DisneyCrazy4444
01-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Well fortunately my 14 year old does not act up like this. though I wonder what Hot Topic and "goth" has to do with it. My wife is somewhat on the goth side, and yes, even as an adult shops there and I can't help but feel that looking/dressing different gets you singled out. I'm sorry, but what I've seen is jocks being incredibly loud and obnoxious. Let's not forget the football team riots at the Pop Century last month.

All I'm saying is that its not "personal style" that dictates behaviour. And behaviour like that is not excusable from ANY teen OR adult for that matter.
ok all i want to say to this is that we are not jugging them by personal style we are saving there behavior was not acceptable or very respectful to others around them :thumbsup:

Jobasha3000
01-10-2008, 04:54 PM
thanks for the reinforcement DC4444....in fact the goths would probably be the ones who would get up to let an old woman sit down on the subway....to that end I suppose it just goes to show that there are going to be people acting up in every group, and that we might be so kind as to remind them that this is the happiest place in the world, and could we please keep it that way

DisneyCrazy4444
01-10-2008, 05:21 PM
thanks for the reinforcement DC4444....in fact the goths would probably be the ones who would get up to let an old woman sit down on the subway....to that end I suppose it just goes to show that there are going to be people acting up in every group, and that we might be so kind as to remind them that this is the happiest place in the world, and could we please keep it that way
Your welcome

MushuMulan
01-10-2008, 07:48 PM

I agree, teens are teens, no matter what style they're in to. Acting out in public with teens just has to do with ones personality and the 'crowd' (a.k.a Mob) mentality. When you're in a group you feel more powerful, at least, until you're confronted :).

Jobasha3000
01-10-2008, 08:20 PM
well yes and no mushu, while some teens (literally) are teens (mentally?) others are not. Like most of the teenage intercotees (I feel safe saying that)

MushuMulan
01-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Who's to say that isn't the normal teenage mindset? Maybe we're just advanced for our age :secret:.

Regardless though, every age may not act as mentally mature as they are, but we still adress them depending on their actual age. A teen who acts immature is still a teen just as much as an adult who acts like a kid is an adult. We're a society built on expectations, if you look a certain age, you're expected to act a certain age.

My point is even if a teenager may seem younger mentally, they are still a teenager, just one who is choosing to act in that manner.

That's my theory at least.

Sorry if that seemed a bit cryptic, you're response confused me a little bit, and I was trying to find the best way to reply ;).

Jobasha3000
01-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Yeah, your response is very true, people need to act their age, whatever it may be. I wish I were 50 years older so I could go on a "kids used to know respect" rant, but I'm not so I wont.

ASweetLov
01-10-2008, 10:38 PM
My sister and I aren't in our teens anymore. I am 24 and she is 23, I look 16 and she looks 18(yeah my sister looks older than me lol). In our case we are more responsible than our parents. When we were younger I thought my sister how to be polite, and responsible and how to have respect for other people(our parents really didnt teach us that). We were actually good teenagers, my sister being more of a rebel than me but still good people. We have actually never been to WDW as a family, I am the only one who has been, but we have been to other parts of the world and my sister and I prefer going on our own instead of sticking around with parents who are yelling all the time. I guess there are people in all age groups who will be rude and have no respect for others.

garymacd
01-11-2008, 12:50 PM
I just wanted to give another perspective of people not acting nicely. My beloved oldest daughter went through quite a black period of her life a few years ago. She wore black and quite often sported a spiked dog collar. Even through all this, she was really a joy to be around and never strayed far from us in the parks. Anywhere she went, her younger sister went, too. They are both very sweet girls and very polite at all times. I know I sound like a gushing father, but it is true.

We attended MVMCP a couple of years ago, and as she usually did, she wore her collar. No one said anything about it being dangerous and no one mentioned it. Until we were standing in line to get some cookies and hot chocolate. A little boy standing with his mother saw my daughter and asked his mother why she wore that dog collar. His mother answered, "It's because she has bad parents."

My daughter and I were flabbergasted! She looked at me and I looked at her, wide-eyed. Not wanting to cause a scene (and maybe prove that I was a bad parent) we just stared at her the entire time we stood in line behind her. I think she knew she upset us because she occasionally, surreptitiously looked at me while I glared daggers at her. All I could think was, "You have just taught your son to be judgemental and to hate without question or reason."

I know this thread was about children and teens acting badly, but don't forget there are also adults who do the same thing. And please, as others have said, don't judge anyone by the way they dress. There just may be a diamond hidden in the rough somewhere.

adoptionislove
01-11-2008, 01:21 PM
garymacd,

You are obviously a very proud father!!! Kudos to you!

We in our family have a similar situation. My dear sweet cousin is covered in tatoos (I mean head to toe). He is the sweetest nicest guy really! It is amazing to me how people IMMEDIATELY cast judgement on him. It is quite sad, actually!

Michelle

tinklover
01-11-2008, 01:51 PM
garymacd,
I had the same thing happen to me. I am a 34 yr old mom of 3 yet i am young at heart. i have piercings( nose and tongue) and on our last trip trip to disney in May the underside of my hair was pink. i was in a bathroom washing my hands and a lil girl had said to her mom "mommy that is the color i want in my hair" to which her mother said no dear you can not have that color, you are not a freak. to which i replied :jaw:FREAK??? WHere? and looked around. her daughter thought it was funny as did I and the mom turns to me and said do you not have any respect for yourself? i saidi have tons of respect for myself and other's unlike you who just judged me because i have a nose ring and pink hair. ma'am you don;t know me so do not judge me and my character because of teh way I look. have a great day and I hope some disney MAgic comes your way. and i walked out and left her standing there dumb founded.

divinedi
01-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Oh how right you are Tinklover! I have 3 daughters, ranging in age from 18-21, the 21 year old has a lip ring, nose ring, several in her ears, and her hair colour has ranged from black, pink, blue, red and is now very blonde. She is the nicest, respectful young lady, and gets like other young people on here, quite annoyed with teenagers acting out (always has) and sometimes gets annoyed at me if I get a little cross with someone who doesn't give me the service I think they should, and I am a very patient person, so it takes a lot to get me annoyed!!

We also had a minor incident at the resort once, another guest family saw her with the piercings (not sure what colour her hair was that time lol) and I heard them make some comment and roll their eyes at her in passing, I was very annoyed too, they didn't have a clue as to what she was really like. I have tried, and she is largely responsible for that, to be very open minded when it comes to anyone who is 'different'. I do have a big problem with teens out of control anywhere, and know that my 3, the other 2 girls are what society terms 'normal', are well behaved and considerate anytime, not just in public.

Thank you to my girls, you make me proud to be your Mom!!!

Jobasha3000
01-11-2008, 02:47 PM
These stories going back and forth are very reminiscient of a trip to disney with my sister (who inspired my look). She was wearing a set of fake dreads woven into a buzzcut that are many colors, glow in the dark, and had metal spikes and plastic tubing. Everywhere we went we had little kids smiling at her, her smiling back, and their parents looking angry at us and their kids. Same happened to me in august 07 when I wore heavy boots and chained black pants. The parents should realize not everyones bad, and that its disney, everyone has the right to be there. Wonder what walt wouldve thought

MushuMulan
01-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Just like I said before, it all depends on your personality, regardless of what you look like. Just because someone may chose to dress one way doesn't mean they'll choose to act the way someone is expected to act in that clothing.

Also like I said, it's because we're a society built on expectations, that can be a good thing, and as shown here, a bad thing :(.

It's nice to see that you all were the bigger person though in all of these stories, and acted mature about, that just shows your character, which is all that really matters in the long run.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Ah! Jobasha, you're talking about cyberfalls or cyberlox! Those are so awesome, I have like...10 different sets!

I get the same thing, but only in reverse. Because I work the Mouse, I can't color my hair or have piercing or tattoos. So I have to maintain a conservative and professional look (for school, since it is a hospitality school).

But I'm really into a lot of Japanese visual kei fashion and I design and wear a lot of my costumes to conventions and photoshoots. And if I go out to the clubs (which you will find that overall, a gothic night club is very very different than a mainstream club - just a completely different feel and crowd - and not everyone is getting drunk), people are surprised to find I work at Disney. Like...it's a mortal sin to work there...

Therefore I never judge anyone by how they look or dress, but by how they act. Although being in a people industry and a people watcher, I can usually pin them to a T after about 20 seconds.

I'll have to send some photos of me with my falls on! I made them all.

DisFan01
01-11-2008, 07:16 PM
I just wanted to give another perspective of people not acting nicely. My beloved oldest daughter went through quite a black period of her life a few years ago. She wore black and quite often sported a spiked dog collar. Even through all this, she was really a joy to be around and never strayed far from us in the parks. Anywhere she went, her younger sister went, too. They are both very sweet girls and very polite at all times. I know I sound like a gushing father, but it is true.

We attended MVMCP a couple of years ago, and as she usually did, she wore her collar. No one said anything about it being dangerous and no one mentioned it. Until we were standing in line to get some cookies and hot chocolate. A little boy standing with his mother saw my daughter and asked his mother why she wore that dog collar. His mother answered, "It's because she has bad parents."

My daughter and I were flabbergasted! She looked at me and I looked at her, wide-eyed. Not wanting to cause a scene (and maybe prove that I was a bad parent) we just stared at her the entire time we stood in line behind her. I think she knew she upset us because she occasionally, surreptitiously looked at me while I glared daggers at her. All I could think was, "You have just taught your son to be judgemental and to hate without question or reason."

I know this thread was about children and teens acting badly, but don't forget there are also adults who do the same thing. And please, as others have said, don't judge anyone by the way they dress. There just may be a diamond hidden in the rough somewhere.

I know exactly what you mean. Many people (including myself) judge people by their outward apperance too many times, not thinking what kind of a person they are. :)

DisneyFreak23
01-11-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm a 14 year old and i think it is just dumb to act like that it drives me crazy:mad:, I'm also scared to say something because kid my age are mean and heaven help you if your their age and you say something.

As I'm also the same age I agree. It's people like them that give teenagers that actually go to the park to enjoy the experience, a bad name.

For some reason they think they are superior to everyone around them, and to keep that superiority they have to do obscene acts, and be more obnoxious than a crying 1 year old (no offense to any moms out there, I was there once too).

No matter how much I wish I could do something about it, I know it's not my place, nor my responsibility. I go to the park to enjoy myself, not get involved in a fight with some other teens who think they're better than me.

The best you can do is just notify a CM and hope they act on it.

yay well balanced teenagers on intercot!

OFF TOPIC

Nice to see im not the only 14 year old!
maybe we should start a different thread soemwherelse for us teens on intercot!

DisneyCrazy4444
01-11-2008, 10:08 PM
OFF TOPIC

Nice to see im not the only 14 year old!
maybe we should start a different thread soemwherelse for us teens on intercot!

Maybe we should! lol

DisneyFreak23
01-12-2008, 10:01 AM
ya wanna set that up? lol
im so glad im not the only 14 year old lol:mickey:
all my friends think im insane

DisneyCrazy4444
01-12-2008, 10:10 AM
ya wanna set that up? lol
im so glad im not the only 14 year old lol:mickey:
all my friends think im insane

mine friend think i crazy too

DisneyFreak23
01-12-2008, 11:11 AM
To all the teens in this thread:
i have started a thread for us over in the Water Cooler board. That way we can continue our off topic teen disney things!

meet you over there!
-DisneyFreak23