PDA

View Full Version : Help! Which electric guitar to purchase?

tink2006
01-08-2008, 04:02 PM
My DS15 has been taking guitar lessons for about 1 1/2 years. He is now ready for a "step up". The problem is I do not know what I am doing and the choices are endless :crazy:

He "test drove" a used tradition and really liked it (price was about $275). My thoughts are why buy a used imitation when you can buy a intro level Gibson for about the same price ($500 - $600).

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Zaida

RedSoxandPatsfan
01-08-2008, 05:01 PM
If you can afford to go with the higher priced models that's great. However, it should still be left up to your son as far as the choice. Feel, sound, looks & overall playability are huge factors. I've played some "knock offs", strats to be more specific, and they played and felt muched better than some of the higher priced Fenders.

Another thing to remember is to haggle when you find something you like. Most music stores will negotiate and almost all will take trade ins.:rocker:

Dixie Springs
01-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Thankfully, offshore manufacturing has made decent electrics affordable. I've played for many years, and can honestly say that most of the Asian versions of Fenders (Fender & Squire)and Gibsons (Epiphone) can be just as good, especially for a beginner. Ibanez has some low-cost options also.

I recently purchased a new Line 6 Variax 300 for $299. I was blown away - the craftsmanship, materials and technology for the buck are amazing. I did have to send 2 back, though, which leads me to my next humble advice...

Search/buy online (e.g., Musicians Friend ) in lieu of the local music store trying to sell you a 'tradition'. The choices/prices are much better, shipping is free, and they have a 45-day return policy. I trust only these guys and a semi-local hangout, "Elderly Music", which also deals online.

Good luck!!

Ian
01-08-2008, 06:57 PM
The advice to check out Musician's Friend is a good one ... they have very good prices, although your local guitar store will often match them for you.

I "play" a Fender Stagemaster (the quotes are because I can't really play it at all ... I just make noise ;) ) and I love it. It was $500 or so from the local Guitar Center.

I do agree that the Epis and Ibanez guitars are of equal quality to some of the "name brand" ones and should not be discarded out of hand, however, buying a guitar with the actual Gibson or Fender name on it does wonders for the resale value if he ever wants to upgrade again.

Check out the new Gibson Melody Maker ... they're like $380 for the dual-pickup version and they carry the Gibson name. I haven't played one yet, but I hear they're a decent buy for the money.

disneydave4479
01-09-2008, 12:10 PM
My recommendation is to take your son to a discount store like Sam Ash or Guitar Center and have him try out a few of the guitars. They all have different feels. I use to own a Gibson Les Paul Standard (really nice guitar), but I play my Fender Strat more and to me it has a better feel...so I ended up selling my Les Paul.

After you pick one up from there, try to find a local music shop that specializes in guitars...wouldn't trust the larger chains...and do what is called a "setup". They normally charge about $30, and for that you'll get new strings, adjustment of the neck, the intenation, etc. Well worth it. If your son is with you then they can tune it to his specifications. I had my intenation dropped, so I only needed light fretting to produce a note (makes for faster fingerwork).

Enjoy! :mickey:

tink2006
01-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks for all your help:number1: I checked out Musician's Friend and they do have some great prices. I think we will go this weekend and try to "test drive" some more guitars, maybe a Gibson Melody Maker, and shop around. I never thought about a "setup" for a guitar but it really makes sense.

Thanks!

Tygger7
01-09-2008, 04:16 PM
The previous posters are giving very good advice. My DH is a professional musician, and also used to teach guitar lessons. Here's some tried & true input:

1. No 2 guitars are the same. They do not sound the same, and they do not play the same. The type of music your son likes playing should be a consideration when selecting a guitar. Les Pauls (Gibson or Epiphone) have a "beefier" sound....so if your son likes guitarists like Slash or Joe Perry, go with one of them. The downside: they are HEAVY compared to many other guitars. My DH has an Epiphone Les Paul and rarely plays it any more because it's so heavy. He passed it on to our DD15, and she doesn't like it either for the same reason. Personally, he doesn't recommend Fender guitars, unless you go with the REALLY expensive ones. The cheaper ones are very inconsistent with quality. Leo Fender started a new company several years back which produces G&L guitars. They are much nicer, but more reasonable than the good Fenders. You'll get a "thinner", "southern rock" sound with a strat...think Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lynrd Skynrd, etc. Other brands/guitars to consider are Ibanez, Paul Reed Smith (PRS), & Schecter.

2. Good guitars aren't cheap, and cheap guitars aren't good. You get what you pay for, and yes, there is a HUGE difference between a $200-$400 guitar versus $600-$800 guitar. If you can't afford to spend $600 or more right now, save up. Trust me, it will be worth it in the long run.

3. Musician's Friend is the way to go, but also check eBay. Going to the local music store and playing different models is an excellent idea, just shop around before you buy. I found a beautiful guitar for my husband on eBay. (His #1 guitar choice: The EVH by Peavy. They are discontinued now, so you can't get one from a music store. The American-made EVH's are fantastic....but they are VERY expensive.) If you buy from eBay, just check feedback and make sure before you bid.

4. Getting your guitar set up by a professional (not a hack) is vital. The intonation needs to be set for the guage of strings your son plays. Otherwise, it will drive him crazy trying to tune it.

If you have any specific questions for my DH, just post or PM me, and we'd be happy to help.

Good luck!!!

Ian
01-11-2008, 07:53 AM
I think we will go this weekend and try to "test drive" some more guitars, maybe a Gibson Melody Maker, and shop around.The Melody Maker was one I considered when I was looking, but I'll tell you honestly that it felt very cheap and not very well made to me. I also didn't particularly like the way it played.

2. Good guitars aren't cheap, and cheap guitars aren't good. You get what you pay for, and yes, there is a HUGE difference between a $200-$400 guitar versus $600-$800 guitar. If you can't afford to spend $600 or more right now, save up. Trust me, it will be worth it in the long run.This used to be a lot more true than it is today. Some of the Korean guitars (and even some of the Mexicans) have actually come up a good bit in quality in recent years, as they've honed their production techniques.

Some of the Epis in the $400 range are really nice guitars. Also, remember, her DS has only been playing for 18 months. He might not be at the point yet where he's going to be outplaying a more moderate guitar yet.

There's a huge difference between a pro musician and what he/she needs in a guitar vs. a beginner. Trust me ... I've been dying to go get a new Les Paul Standard, but I just can't justify it. I can barely play the guitar I have. What do I need a $2,000 guitar for?

Tygger7
01-11-2008, 08:53 AM
This used to be a lot more true than it is today. Some of the Korean guitars (and even some of the Mexicans) have actually come up a good bit in quality in recent years, as they've honed their production techniques.

Some of the Epis in the $400 range are really nice guitars. Also, remember, her DS has only been playing for 18 months. He might not be at the point yet where he's going to be outplaying a more moderate guitar yet.

There's a huge difference between a pro musician and what he/she needs in a guitar vs. a beginner. Trust me ... I've been dying to go get a new Les Paul Standard, but I just can't justify it. I can barely play the guitar I have. What do I need a $2,000 guitar for?

Biggest problems we've encountered with Korean/Mexican made guitars is consistency with quality. You might have 5 that play & sound great, but the next one has serious defects. ONLY way I'd recommend going this route is to buy new and get a warranty. Another suggestion if you decide to go with a less expensive guitar is to consider upgrading the pickups. The stock Epiphone pickups are horrible. When you take it in to be set up, ask about the cost of swapping out the pickups with Dimarzios, Seymour Duncans, or EMG's.

We often hear (from parents) that they don't want to invest too much money in an instrument that they aren't sure their kid will stick with. Every child is different, but as a general rule, if they are still playing in 6-12 months from when they began, they're more likely to stick with it. However, we've seen kids get very frustrated with the limitations of their guitar(s) and end up quitting because of constant problems with their guitar & amp, and they can't keep the guitar in tune.

As a parent, you can get a really good feel about how likely your child with continue playing. For example, we spent $100 on a Browning Electric guitar for our daughter when she was 10. She piddled off & on for 6 months and we could tell she really wasn't into it. Suddenly, at 12 she started asking to borrow her dad's Washburn Electric Acoustic guitar. She started trying to figure stuff out on her own, and began asking for lessons. After 3 months, we could tell she was really serious now and we bought her a $500 Ibanez. The amount of time she spent practicing doubled once she got the new guitar.

I'm not suggesting that everyone spend $1000 or more on a guitar. Trust me, my DH has been playing for 25+ years, been in professional bands, and had recording deals, and he still won't spend $2000 on a guitar. His next guitar is going to be a Takamine Electric Acoustic, because he can't justify spending $1500 + for a Taylor or Martin. (On a side note to Ian - If you can barely play the guitar you have, maybe it's set up totally wrong or not made for what you want out of it. If the action is too high or too low, it can make it A LOT harder to learn to play....and, it's not comfortable to practice on....I compare it to wearing shoes that are the wrong size. Does it stay in tune? We've seen kids struggle practicing because the guitar they have won't stay in tune.)

I've just seen too many parents throw $200-$400 away on guitars that were total ****, and end up spending $500-$700 anyway because the cheap one won't stay in tune, the necks are warped beyond repair, and the electronics are shorted out. I've never seen anyone "outplay" a guitar, but I have seen kids invest more time practicing if they have better equipment.

And, if you're still on the fence about spending more money, consider the resale value. I had to have all of my DH's guitars appraised for insurance, and all have held their value or appreciated. That's the beauty of eBay, and why I suggest looking there. You can find some GREAT guitars for the same amount you'd spend on a cheap one because someone needs money. And, if you spend a little more, you'll have a much better time recouping the cost if you (or your child) decides to sell it.

It's definitely a purchase people tend to rush into, and I totally applaud the original poster for doing some research before buying! :clappy: As I mentioned in my first post, feel free to PM me with specific questions, or if you see a guitar you want my DH to check out (either on Musician's Friend or eBay). He'd be more than happy to give you honest input before you buy. :mickey:

Dixie Springs
01-11-2008, 07:45 PM
More IMHO, from a guitar-head...

I agree with Ian's comment about the improved quality of off-shore guitars. Yes, there are variations in quality, but the same is true of American guitars (I have a long, sad, American Strat story). DD has a Mexican Tele (lovingly referred to as her "Tequilacaster"), and it is a superb instrument. I spent less than $300, vs. $700+ for its US counterpart. I believe it's the wise way to go for a beginner.

I would not consider resale as a serious factor - you will get the same return ratio no matter what you buy (e.g., you'll re-sell your $1,400 Gibson for $1,100; or your $400 Epi for $350). Guitars are not like cars in this respect.

Ian
01-12-2008, 08:00 AM
On a side note to Ian - If you can barely play the guitar you have, maybe it's set up totally wrong or not made for what you want out of it.No, with me it's because I have two little kids and I don't devote the time I should to practicing.

Trust me ... my guitar is far more capable than I am. ;)