PDA

View Full Version : Problems on recent trip

DawsonAR
01-08-2008, 01:25 PM
We encountered some issues on our most recent trip that we haven't had in the past. I don't know if it is due to CM trying to be more strict with the rules or what. My DD (8) is in a wheelchair and can't walk at all. We encountered several CM who wouldn't let me go through the wheelchair line without showing the Guest Assistance card even though it is a wheelchair and not a stroller. I don't really have a problem with that however a CM at the Haunted Mansion told me I would still have to park it in the stroller parking and carry my DD through the regular line (pre-show and all) and load her. I explained that I couldn't carry her that far. She told me we couldn't ride if I couldn't carry her that far.

I know from the past that there is an alternate entrance. We went back later with a different CM and we waited in line then used the alternate entrance.

On POTC we were forced to "carry" her through the back entrance instead of being allowed to wheel her close to the boats. This is a long walk carrying an 8 year old child. My DH and I aren't young and it isn't good on our backs.

We haven't had these issues in the past so I don't understand the change. Anyone else with these problems?

On the brighter side, the trip was good overall!

Christine
01-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Wow...that is strange! :confused:

I was there Dec. 24-Jan. 3 and saw folks in w/c being wheeled in POTC right to the loading area (where a CM then took chair to the exit) and I saw people taking the "cut off" part in the HM line to go to the w/c entrance.

I don't know why they would have done that to you???

thrillme
01-08-2008, 04:25 PM
I would definately voice complaints to customer relations.

alaMode
01-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience!

I agree with the above posts--my son has a Maclaren special needs stroller and we have always been allowed to wheel him right to the point where he'd get on any ride, and then his stroller would be waiting right where he exits.

We always used the GAC, especially since we're using an oversized, heavy duty stroller, not an actual wheelchair. I find it amazing that you were made to leave your wheelchair outside!

I can't believe you were made to carry your daughter into and out of rides. What about adults? Who would be able to carry them? I would definitely share your experience with guest relations. It sounds like there needs to be more training regarding guests with mobility issues!

Tess

vamaggie
01-08-2008, 06:40 PM
How horrible for you! I can't imagine anyone asking you to take someone out of a wheelchair and carry them!! You are to be commended for staying calm--I think that if I were in your position I would have asked to talk with a supervisor and made a major issue of what they were asking you to do (a "NY fit" as DH calls it!). Also, isn't it illegal (to not have accomodations) what they told you had to do? I would definately contact guest relations. Some folks seem to need more training.

duckhere
01-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I know with DD's first wheelchair (a manual) people were always mistaking it for a stroller. It really doesn't look like a stroller, looks more like a wheelchair and we got told many times to park the stroller (although not at Disney). Maybe it was a case of mistaken identity, and the CM was not catching the meaning of what you were saying. I think I would agree though, report them and let them get the training they need, but maybe some sensitivity training too.

shellyb627
01-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Several times we have been given a red sticker to place on my sons chair. The sticker was given to us the same place we received the guest assistance card. The Disney rep said that even my son has a wheelchair it gets confusing to the line checkers and the tag will save us for explaining that it is a wheelchair over and over again. It did work!! Michelle

Von-Drake
01-09-2008, 07:36 AM
That is terrible to hear. About 5 years ago, we went with my grandparents, and our first night there, my grandmother stumbled backwards down the escalator at the contemporary and landed on my frail grandfather. He was on blood thinners and his arm started bleeding. Anytime my grandparents wanted his bandages changed all they did was called the front desk and within minutes paramedics came to his room and changed them no problem. After the fall my grandmother was given a wheelchair free of rental charge and the only ride we had trouble with was Peter Pan, the CM absolutely refused to let us through the wheelchair line. It was infuriating, but no other cast member we talked to at surrounding rides had no problem letting in their handicapped lines and was at a loss to explain the CM at Peter Pan. Other than this one instance we have no problem with the CM's and special assistance.
Sorry again to hear about your experience.

DawsonAR
01-09-2008, 09:17 AM
I think I will let them know about our experience. Overall, we were treated very well, it was just a couple of times we had issues. I understand that their employee base is very large and training everyone is difficult. I expect they were new to Disney and will get trained very soon. It won't change our future plans but it was very frustrating. I feel much better after putting it in writing and getting it off my chest. Thanks for listening. :mickey:

Piglet822
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I am so sorry that you encountered these difficulties on your trip.
I do think it could be a training problem. I would definitely contact Guest Relations and let them know what you experienced. If you had only one isolated incident you could maybe excuse it but it sounds like you had several. Carrying someone who normally uses a wheelchair, especially a child, could be dangerous. What if you had tripped or fallen? Or dropped your daughter?
Please let us know if you contact Disney and the outcome.

Hayden's Dad
01-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I am so sorry you had such a problem with these CMs. If you got their name I would definately write to customer relations there is absolutely no excuse for that. There is a reason that the rides are handicapped accesible. I couldn't imagine having to carry my son through both long lines through HM and POTC and he only weighs 21 pounds. Please keep us informed with what happens. This should not be an ongoing issue, and if policies have changed then we need to do something about it.

DisFan01
01-09-2008, 06:01 PM
I fractured my ankle a couple of years ago, and I had to go around in a wheelchair the entire time. All CM's let us on all rides through the weelchair enterances, and some (like HM) let us in the "alternative enterance". They must have gotten more strict, or you just got some CM's that were buckling down, and others don't... :confused:

Sorry you encountered this. :(

LibertyTreeGal
01-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Yes, letting them know would be wise -- it seems like they have more and more "newbies" on the job and they might not be paying as much attention to coaching them on special needs requirements as they ought to *sigh*

Here we go again...
01-11-2008, 12:17 AM
I think the problem is WHO is working when you go through the line.
I had my knee replacement in May and we went to DW in July. My doctor agreed to let me go if I promised to stay in a wheelchair. (actually she said no one in their right mind goes to Disney World 6 weeks after knee replacement :D )
Anyway, When I got to POC they made me park the EVC and walk. Now I have been on this ride many times and know that they can either take you through the back entrance or bring you through the line in a manual chair. This person would not allow us to do anything but walk.
The next day they brought me right to the loading area... You never know.

trackbarroness
01-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Sorry you guys had difficulties entering the attractions.
Even without a guest assistence card guests are suppose to be asked to transfer to a manual wheelchair if they want to. If their in an ECV, if it's an electric wheelchair that's a different story.
Did you guys have a Disney rental?
being new that doesn't excuse them for not giving a return time or giving you access to a wheelchair.
Hopefully the next time you guys come back you won't be asked to carry your child inside any attraction.

wdw_bound
01-27-2008, 03:23 PM
It definitely depends on the CM. On our trip this past December, DD9 and I followed tradition and made POTC our first MK ride. She is in a Maclaren special needs stroller, and we had the strip of red tap denoting it should be used as a wheelchair, along with the GAC. The first time we went through, we were instructed on which side to go on and she stayed in her Maclaren until we got to the loading area. While we enjoyed the ride, her stroller was moved to the exit so that it was waiting for us. We had to use a back entrance that involved an elevator and a back walkway.

As we were coming down the back walkway, DD asked if we could get right back in line, so we circled through the giftshop back to the entrance. Different CM this time - an older looking gentleman who was clearly not in his happy place. As I pushed DD into the initial entryway, he chased me down calling "Ma'am, Ma'am. You can't go through here..." I stopped, smiled and DD held up her GAC. He just shook his head and said, "Can she walk? You need to park and have her walk." I told him that we had just come off the ride and had been allowed to take the stroller all the way to the boat. He kind of Hmmphed and said "So I guess you want to do that again, huh?" as if I should know better. "Well, if they let you before, I guess I have to too." I just smiled and started walking. Not worth spoiling the magic over... However, if I'd been told to carry DD or not ride, I would have stood firm and gotten a supervisor involved. In my experience DD can participate in every attraction at WDW - they are either fully accessible or have accommodations - except for the Treehouse and Tom Sawyer's Island.

I noticed inconsistencies in several areas, but overall found CMs went out of their way to make sure DD (and all of us) had the most magical time possible.

DawsonAR
01-28-2008, 11:34 AM
I wrote an email informing Disney of our issues and asking if they had a policy change. I received a phone call on Friday to discuss the issue personally. They informed me this shouldn't have happend and they will use my letter to help train cast memebers in the future. They were extermely nice and very helpful. I'm satisfied with their response.

LibertyTreeGal
01-28-2008, 01:05 PM
That is awesome news!!! Thanks for contacting Disney, it helps all of us out :thumbsup: