PDA

View Full Version : Can a park ticket wear out?

SignguyTom
01-08-2008, 01:23 PM
I have a concern that after 8 or 9 days of heavy use with admission and aquiring FastPasses, a 10-day Park Hopper might wear out. Especially if it happens to get wet. How durable are they? Are they card stock or plastic? Are they different if purchased through the Official Ticket Center (Intercot Sponsor) or the Resort/Park? Can they be replaced easily if they do get messed up?

Weird questions, I know. :blush:

Thanks in advance!

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-08-2008, 01:42 PM
:thumbsup: I never had to get one replaced....the hoppers I always got have been plastic, just a little thinner than a credit card.

disneymom15
01-08-2008, 01:55 PM
The card itself depends on where you get it. If it's your key to the world card, it's plastic (resort key, admission key, charging privledges). The admission tickets we've purchased before hand have been paper. We've never had a problem with them wearing out.

cperry92380
01-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Well, if you'll be staying on property, you'll most likely have a Key to the World, which will have/be your room key, park pass, dining plan, and charging priv. This will be a plastic card, just like the ones you get at any other hotel as a room key and will look just like a credit card too.
We didn't have charging priv. on ours last time, just the room key, park pass, and dining plan and it was still the plastic credit card type.

Disney Lynn
01-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Although this apparently doesn't happen often, I managed to de-magnitize (or whatever it's called) one of my park passes. (I actually do this a lot to credit cards, etc- never can figure out how???). Anyway, when you put the pass into the reader and it doesn't work, (but obviously should- not just expired), you will be directed to the guest services window to have it replaced. This takes about 5 to 15 minutes.

If a pass is somehow ripped, torn etc, also visit guest services with as many pieces of the pass as you can find. (we have dogs- you never know what they'll try to eat)

Also, we photocopy the fronts and backs of all newly purchased park passes and take the p/c with us on vacation - just in case!

DizneyRox
01-08-2008, 02:20 PM
I've used an AP for months without any noticable wear. A 10 day ticket is childs play...

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-08-2008, 02:27 PM
as long as you don't get them wet, they are pretty stinkin durable... they are made with a mylar material and paper...

I do wish however, that they would issue passes like universal's or busch garden's are (that REALLY thin plastic stuff, but virtually indestructible) or issue passes like the KTTW cards are...that credit card like material.

SignguyTom
01-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Although this apparently doesn't happen often, I managed to de-magnitize (or whatever it's called) one of my park passes. (I actually do this a lot to credit cards, etc- never can figure out how???).

A cell phone will demagnetize them. Keep them seperate. :thumbsup:

----------

We are staying 8 nights at BWV, then 2 at Pop Century. Though I have received somewhat conflicting advice, the general concensus seems to be that the hotel switch can complicate the Key to the World/Park Pass thing. I'd like to have them all on one card, but I'd rather not take a chance that something will get goofed up when we switch hotels. Any thoughts?

BronxTigger
01-08-2008, 05:46 PM
On my August 2006 trip I was staying at Shades of Green, so my park ticket had to be separate from my room key. I had to get it replaced 4 or 5 times in one week! I'm not sure what my problem was, but replacing it was easy each time. I just had to go to guest services and they could look up in the computer how many days were left and they would issue me a new card.

vamaggie
01-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Although this apparently doesn't happen often, I managed to de-magnitize (or whatever it's called) one of my park passes.

I had to get it replaced 4 or 5 times in one week! I'm not sure what my problem was, but replacing it was easy each time.

My DH has this happen a lot too (but not at WDW this last time) I swear he is somehow magnetically charged as electrical stuff also seems to go on the blink around him. You guys must all be "magnetic" too! :)

Polynesian Dweller
01-08-2008, 06:59 PM
A cell phone will demagnetize them. Keep them seperate. :thumbsup:

So can the magnets in magnetic clip on glasses. My DW has had that happen twice, once when she thought they were far enough apart. Keep them really separated.:D

Followthatmouse
01-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Some bags have magnetized closures. My DM wiped several airline boarding passes by popping them into a bag pocket fastened by magnet. That particular bag would do a lovely job of messing with your card. So, be careful how and where you store the card.

We use APs. We are yet to have a problem, even though they are merely card stock.

Disnamic Duo
01-09-2008, 09:32 AM
We go the 10-day non-expiring ticket route and use them on multiple trips. We're getting set to go down to WDW in a couple weeks and we'll be using the same set of tixx for the 3rd time. I purchased these tixx from The Official Ticket Center in Sept, 2005. They are the "paper" tixx, and they look brand new. When we're in the parks I don't carry them in my pocket (I think that'd mess them up); I keep them in my wallet.

animalkingdomguy
01-09-2008, 03:01 PM
The simple answer is YES. The magnetic stripe on room key and park tickets are about as strong as a limp noodle. Keep them away from cell phones, digital cameras, walkie-talkies, sun spots, solar flares or any other object known to man that possesses any level of magnetic, static or electrical charge. Bascially the only way to assure that your ticket will not demagnitize would be to put it is a Faraday Cage (for description try googling this term).

DigitalDaredevil
01-12-2008, 10:53 PM
The cards can demagnetize. The plastic cards will withstand almost anything physical. The printing won't scratch off either. If your plastic or paper style card is bad, just take it to guest services and they can issue you another one.
I think the paper type passes have some sort of plastic or other material which makes them more sturdy.
As always with any pass you get. Make a copy of the pass and save your receipt from when you bought it. If you lose your pass, this is the only way you can get a new pass.

wedway76
01-13-2008, 08:55 AM
I've demagnitized my card. As others have said it's easy yo get a new one.

I do have a magnetic personality. That is probably what caused the problem. :yes:

Donald A
01-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Last week, we bought Annual Passes. My wife kept hers in her front pocket the first couple days and it got a little bent and didn't always work right. The cast members had to bend it and try to put it in the gate different ways to get it to work a few times. Mine worked better and stayed in better shape when I put it in my wallet so I eventually kept my wife's pass in there too. I was told they can be replaced pretty easy but I am quite surprised that an annual pass isn't more durable. Must be a cost issue.

SoaringEpcot
01-13-2008, 06:15 PM
On our second day of a 10 day stay my ticket did not work. The CM tried it several times but no luck. She let me in and told me to go to guest services. They issued me a new ticket but kept the old one. I wanted to keep it as a souviner because it had Pluto on it. Thw new ticket was paper and had the Castle and Tinkerbell on it.

McGoofy
01-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Last week, we bought Annual Passes. My wife kept hers in her front pocket the first couple days and it got a little bent and didn't always work right. The cast members had to bend it and try to put it in the gate different ways to get it to work a few times. Mine worked better and stayed in better shape when I put it in my wallet so I eventually kept my wife's pass in there too. I was told they can be replaced pretty easy but I am quite surprised that an annual pass isn't more durable. Must be a cost issue.

One year when we renewed our AP's, I mentioned the very same thing to the CM that was taking care of us. He asked me "have you ever tried to tear it?" I said, "Are you crazy?? No, I never TRIED to tear it!" He said, "Go ahead and try!" I figured since he was watching me rip up a brand new ticket, he would also replace it. I did what he said. That ticket wasn't budging!! He told me what they were made of and said that they were actually more durable than the plastic cards.

Also, yes...AP's are very easy to replace. One time we left ours in the room. All we had to do was show our drivers license. They printed up new AP's for us, and cancelled out the old ones. No problem.

I've tried to wear my AP out as much as I have used it, but it just hasn't been done!! Oh well, guess I need to go back to WDW and keep trying!!:mickey: