PDA

View Full Version : Which Hotel

Mickey'sGirl
01-08-2008, 01:11 PM
We are heading west in the summer, and plan on spending 2 nights and 3 days at DLR. I know that the DLR resorts are expensive, but there is not a high probability of mulitple trips out for our family. We do not require any special services or concierge or anything, and we do not want any dining plans. That said, what preferences do you have and why? My family consists of me, DH and our son's will be 10 and 4 at the time.

A side note -- I have stayed at both the Anaheim Marriot and the Hilton numerous times when visiting DLR as a teen/young adult. They are lovely hotels, but I really am leaning toward a Disney hotel. :cloud9:

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

tinkwest
01-08-2008, 01:21 PM
I think your family would really like a stay at the Disneyland Hotel. I prefer a pool or Downtown Disney view room at this property. My family spent several vacations there when our kids were about the same age as yours and although the property has gone through a lot of changes since that time, it was and is the Disneyland Hotel and provided a lot of happy memories for us as I'm sure it will for you.

NotaGeek
01-08-2008, 01:43 PM
If I could stay at the DLH every time I visited the parks, I WOULD! I think that the pool alone is reason to let your kids experience the hotel ... it's a great way to unwind in the heat of the SoCal summer ... and for the parents to relax too!

Aisling
01-08-2008, 07:38 PM
The Grand Californian is my favorite hotel by far, but since this is your kid's first trip, I would say the Disneyland Hotel as well. You can't beat it for themeing and the monorail is just a short walk away. I agree with Tinkwest that a pool or Downtown Disney view is the best. Our favorite is the DtD view, but you should know they play music until late into the night. We like that part of it, but others don't. Also, the Disneyland Hotel has not only the great pool and slide, but Goofy's Kitchen where your kids can eat and greet with some great characters. There's also a fun video game room by the koi ponds and a sand play area where you can get in some beach volleyball if you are so inclined. There's also a smaller pool tucked back there if the main pool gets too crowded you can hang out there and relax for a bit. It's such a fun hotel and will give your kids an awesome memory.

MegaDisney
01-08-2008, 08:02 PM
The Disneyland Hotel tops my list too. Favorite tower: Bonita (Don't know the new name of it as I refuse to use the new names). Big rooms, great themeing. Best onsite dining of all the Resort Hotels.

The Paradise Pier is second. Large rooms, great views of DCA, and a fantastic Japanese Resturant

I have not stayed at the GCH but have visited a friends room. Two words: tiny rooms!!

Melanie
01-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Highly recommend the Disneyland Hotel for you and your family, Jen. I think it would be perfect! :tink: The pool is incredible, restaurants top notch, and the rooms are very 'Disney'.

And I concur with Bryant on the small rooms at the Grand Californian.

Aisling
01-08-2008, 11:43 PM
I just had a thought - you said you didn't need concierge or any special services, but if they have rooms available on concierge level that fits into your budget, I would highly recommend it. You can get food and beverages all day (that really helps with two boys!), I know they have breakfast and snacks all day, and it seems to me they had appetizers or something in the evening. It was enough to fill us up. There's also room to stretch out and watch tv or play games, so it gives you a nice place to escape within the hotel itself. It's worth checking into when you make your reservation.

Cheers!

BrerGnat
01-09-2008, 07:26 PM
I'd go for the Disneyland Hotel for your particular situation (it's not super expensive, and has a lot of Disney feel to it), although, to be honest, I have no desire to stay there myself. Some people will call it "nostalgic"---to me, it feels old. It's sad to say, but it needs a major facelift. :( In addition, those waterfalls are LOUD and that sound would be maddening for me if I ended up with a room facing into the courtyard.

If money is not an issue, I HIGHLY recommend the Grand Californian. Yes, the rooms are small, but they have bunk bed rooms which your boys would probably LOVE and which make the room have more space, if you push the bed up against the wall (we did that when we stayed with our two boys, 3 and 1). The "courtyard" view rooms are spectacular...you can watch the monorail pass through, and it's so nice and quiet. Theme park views are overrated, and Downtown Disney views are noisy.

The GC has really stepped it up in the customer service department lately, and they upgraded all their bed linens recently, so it is truly a Deluxe experience (comparable to, and arguably BETTER than the Grand Floridian...). Our stay there last October cemented the feeling of the Grand Californian as being "the best Disney hotel we've ever stayed at." My sister and her DH stayed there about a month after us and had the same opinion. The Grand Californian is a model that should be followed by ALL the WDW hotels...

You can't go wrong with any of the onsite hotels. They are each great in their own way.

MegaDisney
01-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Those waterfalls are LOUD and that sound would be maddening for me if I ended up with a room facing into the courtyard.

You know I thought that too, but we were right above them on a visit during springtime, we opened up the windows and I have NEVER slept as well as I did listening to the waterfalls.

I don't know how long ago your stay at the DLH was but the rooms have been updated.

Melanie
01-09-2008, 08:17 PM
You know I thought that too, but we were right above them on a visit during springtime, we opened up the windows and I have NEVER slept as well as I did listening to the waterfalls.

Me too! I stayed in one of those rooms a few years ago, and we kept the doors open all night. Loved it! Of course, I'm a white noise kinda gal. :fan:

tamquilts
01-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I will chime in for the Disneyland Hotel also. I personally like the (Sierra) tower. One side faces the pool, the other side faces Downtown Disney. So you are sure to get a room with a view.

As for the Waterfalls being loud. On my past stay there (a couple of months ago) they turned the falls off at night and back on in the morning.

Small Rooms at the Grand.... well - this too I have a comment on. When we've stayed in a standard room it is small. When we've stayed there on Concierge Level the room was much larger and nicer. Definately a splurge, but worth it at least once in your lifetime!

MEGA is right. Paradise Pier is pretty nice too. It's a longer walk, but has a private entrance into DCA. Also has internal dining room with a Character Breakfast and a nice Japanese Restaurant.

:goofy:

Melanie
01-10-2008, 05:51 PM
As for the Waterfalls being loud. On my past stay there (a couple of months ago) they turned the falls off at night and back on in the morning.

Are they turning them completely off now? In the past, they just turned them back a bit at night.

NotaGeek
01-10-2008, 06:30 PM
MEGA is right. Paradise Pier is pretty nice too. It's a longer walk, but has a private entrance into DCA.
:goofy:
Paradise Pier's private entrance into DCA is no longer open ... that was a budget cut back from about 2-3 years ago.

Are they turning them completely off now? In the past, they just turned them back a bit at night.
When Bryant and I stayed there they were completely off at night and they turned on again at about 8am.

Melanie
01-10-2008, 08:00 PM
When Bryant and I stayed there they were completely off at night and they turned on again at about 8am.

Bummer. Well, Bonita Tower is still my favorite. :D

tinkwest
01-11-2008, 07:15 AM
My favorite tower at DLH is Sierra, followed by Bonita and then Marina.

Mickey'sGirl
01-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Thank you all for your help! DH is now considering concierge because of you guys! :nono: -- I think we will go more standard than that! We have a couple of dates to firm up then methinks we'll be contacting Magical Journeys for a ressie! :clappy: