PDA

View Full Version : Who Has a Minivan?

mjaclyn
01-08-2008, 12:26 PM
With the arrival of DD and possibility of another little one in the future, DH and I definitely need a larger vehicle. I've never liked the look of minivans so I was hoping to find something different but the third seat in crossover SUV's is basically worthless. There is practically NO legroom at all and the third seat is very uncomfortable. My parents recently got an Acura MDX which I initially LOVED, but again - the third seat has no legroom and the gas mileage is horrendous. That being said, are there any of you who would recommend a minivan or a different type of SUV? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

I currently have a Jeep Liberty which is way to small. The features that I would like to have in any new car are: Sirius or XM radio, Navigation & possibly a DVD player for the back seat.

merlinmagic4
01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
I have a 1999 Dodge Caravan (which I intend to keep until it tells me it isn't going to move anymore!). I have 3 children and can't imagine driving anything else. You will need the room, especially when you start driving around a friend for each of them! I would love a smaller car but it's not happening. I think a minivan gets better gas mileage than an SUV. You could always look at a hybrid, too.

Scrod
01-08-2008, 01:01 PM
We have a 2006 Honda Odyssey (that has made a few trips from Massachusetts to WDW) and love it. We have the LX model with DVD, Nav and XM. Just did tires and brakes at 75,000 miles, nothing else has been needed. We have 5 kids from 6 to 20, plus still room in the back for some stuff.

Nascfan
01-08-2008, 01:08 PM
We have a 2001 Chevy Venture and absolutely love it. It drives, and rides, so comfortably.

tinklover
01-08-2008, 01:17 PM
I would say go for the new doge caravan or the chrsyler town and country. they have dvd gaming options satelite radio gps and hands free phone options all on a tiouch screen lost of storage room for baby items and swivel seats which would make putting kids in car seats so much easier. we have seen these and I want one. so much for my dream of having a jeep wrangler. this is now my new dream car :D

CleveSJM
01-08-2008, 01:28 PM
We just replaced our 2000 Olds Silhouette with a 2008 Toyota Sienna LE. The Honda Odyssey and Toyota really stand out in the 2008 minivan class. Honda seems a little overpriced.

Yes, minivan's aren't the prettiest vehicles but they are extremely functional.

About the built-in DVD... I would suggest avoiding all the factory options. Better to add it aftermarket if you want. What we do is mount a laptop between the driver and passenger arm rest area. For $800 you can get a 15"+ laptop for playing DVD's in the car. All the other things a laptop can do is gravy! :thumbsup:

floridamom
01-08-2008, 01:37 PM
In my younger days I vowed never to succumb to the minivan. Then DD #2 arrived, the "stuff" multiplied, and carpools became imminent.

In 2005 we purchased a new Honda Odyssey EX, and I have to say it is the best car purchase we have ever made. My husband likes to say that it has improved our life. Not only does it serve well for day-to-day driving (getting kids in/out of car seats when you have sliding doors is SO much easier), but we have been able to get both girls, an 80-pound yellow lab in its extra large crate, and a week's worth of luggage and accoutrements into the interior of the vehicle. (And we still could have put stuff on the roof rack). It's also really comfortable for extra adults to sit in the second row, and switch the kids to the 3rd. (Like when the grandparents are along for the ride). Maybe it's not the snazziest-looking vehicle out there, but it's so convenient and versatile that I am a happy camper.

Right before we bought this van I said that after we drove it into the ground, my next car would be something fun and sporty. Now I say I can't wait to see what the minivans look like 10 years from now!

Good luck with your decision.:mickey:

quicksand
01-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I love my minivan! I will never buy anything else. I had and SUV and we outgrew it. I thought I would die when we bought the van, but now we love it. It drives so much better. Not so much like driving a "truck" The ride is so smooth and the room you have is umbeatable. You will not be dissappointed

tink179
01-08-2008, 02:02 PM
We bought a Chevrolet Uplander. It's awful!!!! :thedolls: We hate this minivan! So much stuff is going wrong with it and we've only had 2 yrs.The doors don't work sometimes and the sensors are messed up, sometimes we have problems with the ignition when starting it. We've read about other people having the same problems with this, and not having it for very long either. We're looking into getting a Nissan Pathfinder in another year. They're pretty nice, and roomy as we well!

JerseyDad
01-08-2008, 03:12 PM
....we, or should I say my wife, started our official mini-van ownership with a '99 Dodge Grand Caravan. It drove well....for about 5 years...until the transmission would start to slip in cold weather....and it only had about 40000 miles on it at the time!

With annual fall trips to WDW in mind, we then purchased a new Ford Freestar at the end of the summer in 2005 and have had no issues whatsoever. It's made the 2300 mile round trip from N.J. to WDW 3 times now....as well as a trip to / from Columbus, Ohio. With all that, it's still only got 24000 miles on it. It came with the DVD player-remote control - headphones gadget....rear AC controls....all a big PLUS on the long roadtrips with kids. It's got plenty of room behind the third row seat for luggage. The leg room is good through-out. And even with a large 6-cylinder engine...it's got great gas milage. My wife got an incredible deal on it too...since it was purchased at the end of the '05 model year...and Ford was running it's Employee Pricing + $5K cash back + free DVD system promotion all at the same time.....so with the $6500 they gave her for the Caravan...a $30000 Freestar ended up being $14000!!

As far as when to make a purchase...keep a close eye on end of model year deals....and if you want a "mini-van"....you may have to act soon. The US auto industry is moving toward a phase out of mini-vans as know them...and instead, has put a greater emphasis on developing the "cross-over" vehicle models. If you wait too long you may have to settle for a Honda, Hyundai or Kia...all of which do not...or will not...offer extravagant end of year bargains.

kakn7294
01-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Personally, I hate minivans and will never have one - I love my Jeep Liberty and it's plenty roomy enough for my family of 4 (of course, it was an upgrade from a 2-door Chevy Cavalier) - but my parents have a 2004 Chevy Venture extended edition and they love it. It gets slightly better gas mileage than my Liberty and about the same as DH's Grand Cherokee. My aunt has an older Pontiac Montana (basically the same as the Venture) and has always loved it as well. We drove either a Ford Windstar or Freestar (can't remember which) to WDW one year and we hated it (even my parents hated it) - the handling was terrible but it was a rental. I have a friend who has a Nissan Pathfinder with the 3rd seat and I agree - it's awful - like sitting on bench crammed 8 inches from a wall under a low hanging ceiling. I do recommend getting the captain's chairs for the second row rather than a bench seat. I think they offer much more freedom in configuring the van and you don't have kids yelling "she touched me" since they aren't sitting right next to each other.

mjaclyn
01-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think DH and I will be looking at the Honda Odyssey and maybe a different model as well. We still have a few months left on our car loan for the Jeep Liberty so we have some time to do research. Thank you!

Stan
01-08-2008, 06:54 PM
We've been minivaners pretty much full time since they first arrived in 1984. For a couple of years I had a full size conversion van instead, then back to Chrysler minis. Again a break with the last of the big '96 GM wagons, a short stint with a used '94 Caddy Fleetwood monster, and then again back to a Chrysler mini.

The minivans are quiet, comfortable, economical, and super safe (just check out fatality rates esp vs SUV's- it's crazy). Boring, too- I still covet convertibles (maybe one day a mint '75 Caprice or Eldorado? :blush: ...or just a dull Sebring or Solara)- but even with the kids grown and gone our '04 Caravan fits our needs very well. DW's scooter & my photo gear fit great, and it's a great sign platform (http://www.FLmemories.com/B/70703_02.html). Some of our vans have been more reliable than others- overall we've got nothing to complain about.

Just yesterday I picked up our van from some collision repairs (I ran over 2 mattresses and dragged 1 several miles :blush:), so I'd been driving around a few days in a new Ford Fusion- pretty nice. Still, back in the van I'm sitting higher, seeing better, and feeling more secure.

dolphinmickey9170
01-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I have had three minivans and I won't let them go. They are awesome. Plenty of room for groceries, kids, car seats, strollers, luggage for WDW vacations. I had a Town and Country years ago, a Dodge Caravan and now I have a Ford Windstar. I love my minivan. So does my DH who needs to keep his :fireman::ambal:gear for work somewhere.

TXTigger
01-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I love my minivan! I dreaded the day I would become a "minivan mom," but now I wouldn't change it for the world. We bought a 2005 Nissan Quest just days before my second son was born. It is roomy, and has all the features you want available. When we were buying we were considering the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, and the Mazda minivan (can't remember the model name). Before buying we went to a car show so that we could compare each model, and that is where we discovered the Quest. It was cheaper than either the Odyssey or the Sienna, and much larger then the Mazda. Check it out if you haven't already, you just might be surprised like we were. Good luck in your search!

tennantsrwe
01-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Ahhhh the minivan....I'll be honest, I never thought at 26 I'd be driving one, lol. However, WE LOVE OURS! My husband and I bought an 07 Grand Caravan last February...we have 2 girls. And it was the best decision ever as far as traveling goes. There is enough room for both girls to have their own seats, with equally great TV views. The stow and go is sooo nice, especially if you need to haul something or just have extra luggage. The gas milage is fantastic...we averaged about 28 mpg on our trip to WDW in Dec. I love driving it everyday, I don't think we could ever trade back to anything else, even if it was a monstrous SUV (which BTW the gas is outrageous!) It's also nice if you have car seats because you can actually move around, get in and out, etc without problem. I definitley say give a few different models a test drive. I think you'll be suprised. We couldn't live without ours!

mjaclyn
01-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Do any of the minivans offer four wheel drive or all wheel drive? How do they do in bad weather?

MicMouse
01-09-2008, 12:50 PM
I used to laugh at all my friends that drove minivans...until I became pregnant with twins.

We bought our 2005 Chrysler Town & Country 6 days before my twins were born, and I must say, I love it. I wish my hubbie's Tahoe had power sliding doors and a power hatch.

We are planning to drive it to WDW this summer.

Stan
01-09-2008, 09:21 PM
I love the TV spot with Peyton Manning (what's he even advertising? :confused:) giving advice to guys driving minivans... "Has it got a sports package or something? ...no? Hmmm..." :rotfl:

A few years ago another spot (don't know what it was advertising either) showed guys waiting at a car wash waiting room. The attendant said "minivan" or maybe "station wagon" and the guy it belonged to wouldn't admit it. :blush:

Since the car we drive is something like an suit of clothing, what would be equivalent (clothing) for a guy driving a minivan? ...suggestions? And if I ever get one of those '75 Caprice convertibles (http://www.FLmemories.com/B/60420_01.JPG) I covet, what kind of clothing would that correspond to? ...be nice.

KAT1811
01-09-2008, 09:36 PM
In my younger days I vowed never to succumb to the minivan. Then DD #2 arrived, the "stuff" multiplied, and carpools became imminent.

I dreaded the day I would become a "minivan mom," but now I wouldn't change it for the world.

I used to laugh at all my friends that drove minivans...until I became pregnant with twins.

You all sound like me!!! LOL!!! I swore I would never drive a minvan but now I'd love one!!! I almost made the plunge when DD#2 was born and I traded in my Jaguar but DH laughed and said it was WAY too big a jump for me. Looking back I wish I'd just done it. I now drive a beautiful Chevy Avalance (part of our business fleet), leather heated seats, navigation, back up cameras, DVD player, sunroof, (it drives better than my Jaguar ever used to) you name it it has it and all I long for is a minivan (especially after DD#3 was born)!!! I think about how much easier my life would be with automatic doors, more room to move inbetween the seats. We're planning on trying for #4 this fall and I assure you a minivan is certainly going to arrive long before #4 does!!! We've had all kinds of sports cars, luxury cars, and SUVs and for our family nothing makes sense like a minivan. DH occasionally pushes for the Tahoe and when the Tahoe's doors open with the push of a button I'll think about it until then I'll keeping checking out the minivans!!! Just go for it!!!

rt207
01-10-2008, 07:53 PM
I had a Liberty, also. Last May I bought a Kia Sedona and still can't get over the room in it. A lot of people turn their nose up at a Kia, but it is a top rated minivan for safety for a lot less money than the others. Research it. You'll probably be surprised. I know I was.

Here we go again...
01-11-2008, 12:47 AM
I know you said that you are looking at mini vans, but if you are considering a SUV at all, look into a Pilot.
We were trying to decided between a van and a SUV and leaning toward the van because of the lack of room in the SUV. You would think that as large as they are there would be tons of room. But, like the OP said, the 3rd row is pretty much useless.

We got into every SUV out there... my DH sat in the back seat and was shocked to see that in most cases you could not even sit straight when the second row was pushed back. You had to scrunch your legs up. I was surprised at how large the vehicles were yet they had no room inside. The Nissans were the worst. They had no head room either. I am short and my head almost touched the roof.

The Pilot has leg room in all 3 seats. And, plenty of room for storage behind the 3rd row when all seats are up.

One of my friends has a Trailblazer, one has the new jeep SUV and another has an explorer. They all say that my Pilot is more roomy and comfortable. Check it out.

If you decide to stay with a van, keep the Honda in mind. They may cost a little more, but they have very high crash test ratings and hold their resale value.

Good luck with what ever you do!

disneydeb
01-11-2008, 07:02 AM
I truly miss my minivan.:(

conorsmom2000
01-11-2008, 07:08 AM
The Pilot has leg room in all 3 seats. And, plenty of room for storage behind the 3rd row when all seats are up.

One of my friends has a Trailblazer, one has the new jeep SUV and another has an explorer. They all say that my Pilot is more roomy and comfortable. Check it out.

If you decide to stay with a van, keep the Honda in mind. They may cost a little more, but they have very high crash test ratings and hold their resale value.

I couldn't agree more! I'm still "anti-mini van" but I just love my Pilot! We got it at the end of April and it was the best decision we ever made. Like Angel said, the 3rd is roomy enough - but, really, the whole SUV feels roomy. We had a TrailBlazer prior to the Pilot and there is such a difference when driving it - I never realized how cramped the TrailBlazer felt until I started driving the Pilot!

But, we also went with Honda for exactly the reasons that Angel stated - the crash test ratings, safety and holding their resale value. So, whether SUV or mini-van, definitely consider Honda - it's worth it. We've been very, very happy with our decision! :mickey:

KAT1811
01-11-2008, 08:51 AM
I know you said that you are looking at mini vans, but if you are considering a SUV at all, look into a Pilot.
We were trying to decided between a van and a SUV and leaning toward the van because of the lack of room in the SUV. You would think that as large as they are there would be tons of room. But, like the OP said, the 3rd row is pretty much useless.

I also loved my Piolt, great car!!! My only complaint was how difficult it was to get to the third row. It wasn't bad if you didn't have car seats in the second row but if you do it makes getting into the third row just about impossible without climbing over the seats. Good luck!