PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed, not going

Jodi
01-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Hello all, sorry have to share my woes. We have been to WDW the last 8 years in a row with both DD's. We originally decided to hold off going this year and wait a couple of years to go again. Well, DH must have got an itch and there is an airfare sale. Last night, he told me to book the flight for whatever dates I thought would work before DD's start school. Well, I went on today to book the tickets and he looked at the booking before I actually paid for it and didn't like the dates I picked in August ( he would have to take an add'l day off of work). Soooo, because it does not fit his schedule ( it would not be a problem) now, we are not going. I can't even tell you how disappointed I am right now. Sorry, DH, I think you are being selfish. The DD's had such a hard time catching up on school work last year; they missed a week of school, they did not want to go thru that again. We like to go during Value season and when it is not so crowded. I thought I picked a good time at the end of August. :(

MMouse6937
01-07-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm sorry things haven't worked out for you, maybe he'll come around when he has some time to think about it. You really did pick a good time to go with kids. By the end of August a lot of kids here on the west coast are back in school and kids in the east are about ready to head back to school and are done with summer vacations. I hope for your sake he reconsiders and you will be planning a trip soon. Take care! :mickey:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-07-2008, 10:48 PM
ugh no fun... darn men...

I hope you get to go!!!

katzctkpt
01-07-2008, 10:49 PM
DH would have to take 1 day off or several?
Could the trip be shortened a day so, he didn't have to take an addt'l day? I hope he changes his mind, if it's only one day then I say yep a little selfish.:( Sorry DH if you read this.

CleveSJM
01-07-2008, 11:01 PM
DH must have a good reason to veto the dates. It wouldn't be fun if someone was not comfortable with the time away. And the weather in August can be terrible. I think this is going to be a bad hurricane summer again... Saved yourself some headaches I bet... (looking for that silver lining?);)

Darbylew
01-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Sorry about your trip. Maybe your DH will change his mind. Can you go without him? I go
without my DH all the time. He does not mind.
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
APRIL 2008. :D:mickey:

SBETigg
01-08-2008, 06:21 AM
Jodi, that's hard to take. You have my sincere sympathy. I hope something works out for you soon. :pixie:

BigRedDad
01-08-2008, 07:46 AM
I will take a counterpoint to this argument. I am assuming this is not a Friday night to Sunday night trip (meaning that he will already have to take a few days off work). You stated that it is too hard for your DD's to catch up in school after missing a week. On :soapbox: If they are in public school, I say screw it. They do not even need to make up the work. In fact, they do not even have to do the work. Thanks to No Child Left Behind, all they have to do is show up. Off :soapbox:

Have you considered making the trip one less day to accommodate his work schedule? Have you thought of the potential consequences of him missing one extra day of work? The country is headed into a very bad recession. Once it gets worse than it is now, decent jobs will be hard to come by for a while. There is a lot of pressure on a lot of working adults. This is something that is worth considering and there are probably other factors as well. I would discuss it with your DH to figure out different dates or one less day. I would rather go for 6 days than not at all.

For me, the decision would be easier to pull the kids out of school. Instead of trying to makeup a week's worth of work, request the assignments ahead of time. Then, schedule time during the trip to get that work done to limit how much needs to be caught up when they get back.

mudpuppysmom
01-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your DH's decision to toally forget about the trip!!

We have a similar situation.....and DH works for a union.....if he does not work--he does not get paid -- his union has no vacation, so if he misses a week, we get no pay for a week (somehow I figured out how he can come for an entire week with us next week since I'm pregnant and having a tough time and HE did not want to cancel this trip, so he has to go for the entire week -- sorry for the rant).

Anyway, what we usually do is I take DS and go for the entire week with just the two of us. DH usually can squeek a day off on a Friday and he flies down and we pick him up late Thursday night, then he flies back home late Sunday night and he gets three days of vacation. Sure, he is tired for the next few days, but he says he does not mind the trade off.

Can your DH at all fly in a day later or leave a day earlier to accommodate this extra day?? For us it works nicely (however we do rent a car, so that is very helpful). If staying onsite he can even take ME and you and the kids can meet him at the hotel later!

Try that approach and see if he goes for it -- Good Luck!

faline
01-08-2008, 12:19 PM
That really is disappointing. Sorry.

rnin02
01-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I feel for you, I really do. Sometimes my DH is the same way...tells me to pick whatever I want, it doesn't matter to him, than once its picked, it does matter to him. He should have sat down with you to work on dates, if time off from work was an issue for him. My DH has vetoed going to Disney this year because we will have a new baby, and I agree with that, but now he's on a kick where we does not want to go back till the "baby" is big enough to ride all the rides by him/herself. Um, what? I can not take
10+ years off from Disney! So, anyway, I totally sympathize with you missing Disney this summer.

jszczur5
01-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Hello all, sorry have to share my woes. We have been to WDW the last 8 years in a row with both DD's. We originally decided to hold off going this year and wait a couple of years to go again. Well, DH must have got an itch and there is an airfare sale. Last night, he told me to book the flight for whatever dates I thought would work before DD's start school. Well, I went on today to book the tickets and he looked at the booking before I actually paid for it and didn't like the dates I picked in August ( he would have to take an add'l day off of work). Soooo, because it does not fit his schedule ( it would not be a problem) now, we are not going. I can't even tell you how disappointed I am right now. Sorry, DH, I think you are being selfish. The DD's had such a hard time catching up on school work last year; they missed a week of school, they did not want to go thru that again. We like to go during Value season and when it is not so crowded. I thought I picked a good time at the end of August. :(

Can't you "negotiate" if you know what I mean? I go out of my way to make my hubby extra happy all year long, so that when I start planning our yearly trip, he is amenable.
Every year, he reminds me that he hates crowds, that the kids have not earned another trip, and that the Florida heat and humidity is going to kill him. And I just smile, and ask him to reconsider. He does. I can tell you though, he would never make me give up my trip just because it would have meant 1 extra day off of work. That doesn't seem fair.

TheRustyScupper
01-13-2008, 01:43 AM
1) Try rational talking.
2) It works well for my wife.
3) In 25 years of marriage, she has taken a lot from me.
4) In 25 years of marriage she has done a lot for me.
5) It is hard to refuse her when she wants something.

Not2Loud
01-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Why not just fly him home a day earlier? My wife has to get back before I do, so she is catching a flight home two days before DD4 and I leave. No one feels left out, its just the way things fell this trip.

Maybe I am dense due to being a male, but why cancel the whole trip due to his one day?

jszczur5
01-13-2008, 11:56 PM
1) Try rational talking.
2) It works well for my wife.
3) In 25 years of marriage, she has taken a lot from me.
4) In 25 years of marriage she has done a lot for me.
5) It is hard to refuse her when she wants something.

That's what I meant by negotiating.
I used to think hubby was lucky to have me. Then, after I had the kids, I put on some weight for a while, and kind of let myself go, and then I thought I was lucky to have him. Now, after 22 years of being together, I know that we are lucky to have each other. We will each do whatever it takes to make each other happy - incuding yet another trip to Disney, even though he absolutely does NOT want to go. It is for this same reason that we are going to Jamaica next month with a large group of people, that I wouldn't normally travel to the corner store with, let alone thousands of kms away. It's all called "negotiation".