PDA

View Full Version : Husband has finally agreed - now for the bad news.......

goofysbabe
01-07-2008, 10:47 AM
My husband has finally agreed to go to the world Dec. 25th thru Jan. 2. So now I need to know just how bad are the crowds at that time? We will arrive very late on Christmas day so we needn't worry about that day, but what about the rest of the time? Will we be able to see things and have a good time or did I just make a boo-boo??????

dteed
01-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Good planning and a good attitude should help you have a good time. The crowds will be big so you will have to plan for them.

TheRustyScupper
01-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Good planning and a good attitude should help you have a good time. The crowds will be big so you will have to plan for them.

1) Especially the right attitude.
2) Have a mindset for crowds and wait times.
3) Use Fast Pass, and just admire the scenery when not riding/waiting.
4) Simply enjoy the atmosphere and decorations.
5) Yep, it will be crowded, but it still can be a lot of fun.

DDuck66
01-07-2008, 11:22 AM
We went December 24th through the 27th in 2006. the crowds were quite large, but with a good plan and use of EMH you can manage. We used all of the EMH morning hours and were able to see the shows and ride the rides before the parks got to mobbed. Usually by 11:00 am, the aprks would be near to capacity. Also try and plan your meals for odd times. Eat a late lunch or a early dinner so that you miss the craziest times of the day.

Dsnygirl
01-07-2008, 11:34 AM
I think you will have a great time, but be prepared - the crowds are huge, as in "standing room only" and wall to wall people. I think you should go to the Trip Reports section and read Cantgetenuff's reports from their time there... she loved it, but couldn't get over the crowds. If you're ready for that, then I think you'll have fun, and you'll see stuff nobody else gets to during the rest of the year! :thumbsup:

Goofeygal
01-07-2008, 12:20 PM
The crowds are very large at this time but again with the right planning and attitude you will be fine.

Goes4FastPass
01-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Will this be your family's first trip to WDW or the first trip in a long time?

Christmas week is fun for people who go to WDW often but not ideal for people who want to get in a lot of attractions.

Have you considered a time like the first week of Christmas? That may be school impossible for you but all holiday decorations are in place MVMCP is running and crowds are low.

May524
01-07-2008, 12:28 PM
If I had a chance to go any time of year, this time would not be it. However, if this is the only possible time to go, then go! The crowds are pretty brutal and depending on who you are traveling with could be misery (small kids). However, if you plan it right, it could be a great time! The holiday decor is amazing and very magical!

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-07-2008, 07:05 PM
It will be crowded.
It will be hectic.
You will spend a lot of time standing in lines.
You will have a FANTASTIC time!!!!!

MushuMulan
01-07-2008, 08:32 PM
If you really want to ride the attractions and don't mind missing the parades (at least not all of them), then you should ride some of the larger rides during parade hours.

Usually, the line isn't as long and you have a shorter wait.

But like everyone has said before me, be prepared for large crowds.

Regardless though, I think you'll have a great time, Christmas and New Year's at WDW is great:thumbsup:.

LauraSAnne
01-07-2008, 09:26 PM
We did that time span once and I said "never again". For me personally, if I'm going to spend the money (and not go very often) that would be the last time I would choose to go. If you're really great at handling large crowds and everything that comes along with them, then go for it....but that's definitely not something my husband and I enjoy. Go a week or two earlier (or later) if you can! :thumbsup:

WDWfanatic742
01-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Just be aware, MK hit Phase 4 closing which means it closed to everyone around 11am on New Years Eve. Then Soarin' had waits higher than 300 minutes at some points of the day. Just be prepared to wait for rides all your trip.

katzctkpt
01-07-2008, 10:02 PM
We're planning a trip that week also. We've battled back and forth and decided we wanted to go see the decor etc...and ride of course. We are prepared for it to be busy but, I just can't see it being anymore busy than the 4th of July when the park reached capacity and closed.
Best of luck planning and we too have been trying to read as to who liked & disliked this time of the yr.

jszczur5
01-08-2008, 01:49 AM
I think you will have a great time, but be prepared - the crowds are huge, as in "standing room only" and wall to wall people. I think you should go to the Trip Reports section and read Cantgetenuff's reports from their time there... she loved it, but couldn't get over the crowds. If you're ready for that, then I think you'll have fun, and you'll see stuff nobody else gets to during the rest of the year! :thumbsup:

I was also going to suggest that you read Cantgetenuff's reports. I read them the night before last, and kept shouting out to my husband "Hey, get this...." and then would relay another one of her tidbits. Four hours for Soarin' - NO THANKS.
Be prepared to do a lot more of what our family calls the "B" list: Tiki Birds, Country Bears, Hall of Presidents, Ellen, El Rio del Tiempo, Sounds Dangerous, One Man's Dream, etc.
You will probably only be able to ride the very best attractions through the judicious use of FastPasses, EMH, and by riding while crowds line up for the daily parades and closing shows.
Most years, summer time mind you, we can ride Splash Mountain 4 times while the SpectroMagic Parade and fireworks are going on.
Good luck.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-08-2008, 10:29 AM
:D Our last trip was Dec. 25, 2005 through Jan.1, 2006.....yes it will be crowded but get informed and plan well and it will be okay...

We learned the hard way, do not go to MK New Years Eve or New Years Day, MGM/Hollywood was a good choice for us or Epcot on the holiday, we went to Magic on the 26th or 27th and it wasn't too bad early in the day....later in the afternoon the lines for the popular rides in all the parks are approximately 1 hour, so when you go into a park, go early and ride the popular attractions first (such as EE, Safari at AK, ToT-Rocking RC at Hollywood, Soarin at Epcot and there are several at Magic that are popular so do what you want first) We tried going to the parks that didn't have EMH and it seemed to be a pretty good plan, the EMH parks are usually the most crowded.
And most of all, make ADRs because all TS restaurants will definitely be booked up....Have fun

goofysbabe
01-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Thank you to all. In answer to one posters question yes we have been at WDW during Christmas but it was the first week of December and no one was there. This is the only time of the year we will be able to go. So I'm gonna take all your advice and plan well, get my ADR's made soon and just go with the flow. We are going to stay at a family members timeshare for part of the time so we will be going to the "other" parks while we are there. I think we will have a good time - how can we not, our family will be together with no interruptions!

MushuMulan
01-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Best of luck! Hope you have a great time :mickey:

Greenheart22
01-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Be sure to make Dinner reservations well in advance. We went to Epcot early on Christmas day and there were no dinner reservations available anywhere in Epcot. We had a lunch reservation (which we had made 3 weeks before Christmas) at Garden Grill and attended the 5PM Christmas Processional.
Greenheart22