PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go 2nd week of December this year?

EmmMOM2
01-07-2008, 08:08 AM
I am planning on taking my family vacation December of next year from the 6th-14th.
How busy is this week? The crowds are my main concern as we will have two children under 5 with us and i think the experience would be better the slower it is down their. So id LOVE to hear from those of you that went this week this past year.
any info appreciated.
(i relaize this question may have been asked b4...sorry)

prttynpnk
01-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Thats our plan,too. It'll be our 1st Christmas time trip- we usually go for F&W and MNSSHP- so this has taken some convincing for my sweetie, the crowds are a BIG issue for him,too!

tennantsrwe
01-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Hi!
We went to WDW the 9-14 of December this year, and took a trip the 13-19 Dec. in 2005. Both times crowds weren't really an issue. The longest we waited for anything was around 30 minutes, and those instances were rare. We really like going that time of year because it's usually a slower and less crowded time. We have a 2 year old and 10 year old and they both really seemed to enjoy it. They were able to ride a lot, since the wait times were very managable. We're going early January in 2009 but that's only because my husband won't be able to take time off in December. I think you'll find it to be a pleasant and exciting time of year to go. Disney has a special holiday magic like no other, you've got to see it to really appreciate it.

kdsjjb
01-07-2008, 08:59 AM
We are trying to plan out a trip for that time frame as well.

Since Thanksgiving is late this year, I have read that the week of the sixth - 13th will most likely be Pop Warner week.

I have also read that the probable date for the taping of the Christmas parade may be in that same time frame.

I would love push out to the week of the 13th- 20th, but DW is an ER nurse and is not allowed to take any vaca afterthe 15th. Looks like we will be fighting the crowds the weekend after Thanksgiving, hoping that the weekof Nov 29 - Dec 6 is OK.

Good luck, and have a great time.

sillyolbear
01-07-2008, 09:03 AM
We were there 12/9-12 this year. Overall crowds weren't too bad. Although we weren't traveling with children this trip, we've been in previous early Decembers with children ages 2-7 and found it to be a great time for them.

disneymom15
01-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Husband and I were there Dec 11-15. We really enjoyed it. The crowds weren't bad and the weather was wonderful.

SurferStitch
01-07-2008, 09:53 AM
We were just there 12/6-12/17. Crowds were bigger than last year (and those were bigger than we planned on last year).

The more popular rides had up to 120 minute waits, some longer. We utilized FP pretty often, and it worked out well. Shows like Fantasmic, castle forecourt shows, and the stunt show were packed.

No, they weren't July 4th crowds, but there was plenty of packed walkways and getting run over by scooters and strollers. I still have a couple scars to prove it.

The weather was amazing, if not too hot. It would have been nicer if it were a little cooler, but it was better than rain! At least we had plenty of sunshine!

Will you find low crowds and easy ride walk-ons.....no, but the parks and resorts are beautiful, and it's a wonderful time to be at WDW. You'll have a great trip! Just don't expect to have low crowds.

DDuck66
01-07-2008, 10:17 AM
We went on Saturday the 8th of December, 2007 and the 14th-16th. December 8th was PACKED!!!! The crowds were the worse that I had seen. On the 14-16th, the parks were crowded but manageable. Have a good plan, and you will be fine. If you are staying onsite, take advantage of the morning EMH. Last Christmas (06) we used those everyday and were able to ride and see all of the shows before the parks got too crowded.

laprana
01-07-2008, 10:50 AM
We were there from Dec. 8-13 and it was great! The crowds weren't bad at all...a little heavier than we were expecting, but still not a problem. The longest line we waited in for a ride was about 20 minutes, and that was for Everest. The Christmas attractions, like Osbourne lights and MVMCP were pretty packed, but still manageable. We had such a great time seeing all the Christmas decorations and special holiday things at all the parks. I think it's a great time to go!:thumbsup:

Taja
01-07-2008, 11:29 AM
We visited WDW December 7th through December 17th, 2007. Crowds actually were a bit lighter than I expected. I wasn't able to go into many attractions--injured both legs 2 days prior to visit *sigh*, but wait time for those on the attractions wasn't bad.

The only exception was MVMCP on AP discount night (12/11/07). You might want to make it a point to check the discount date prior to ordering your tickets. It sold out and many people were unhappy with the crowd. Fortunately, we were late deciding when we wanted to go and it was sold out. We went 12/13/07--absolutely terrific! Low crowds (obviously more crowded during parade/fireworks), but most rides had very short wait times.

Tinkerfreak
01-07-2008, 03:08 PM
If you usually go around Halloween it will be more crowded than you are used to but not as crazy as the week of Christmas.
We did do Dec. 16th through Dec. 22nd in 2006 and while it was really nice to see the Christmas stuff it was just too crowded for us. We went back to our Halloween trip this year and loved it. It was nice to do it just once just to see everything and to do the MVMCP but we prefer the lighter crowds over the decorations.

diz_girl
01-07-2008, 05:04 PM
I've never gone in December, but I've heard one thing about it...Beware Pop Warner week, especially if you plan to stay at the Values or POR.

My family may be planning to go either the first or second week of December. I'm going with my family, my parents and my sister's family, so I'll make my reservations once we agree that we're going and an approximate time...and when I know which week will be Pop Warner week. I haven't heard anything yet, but I hope that an announcement is made soon.

Magic Smiles
01-07-2008, 08:31 PM
We were just there from 5 - 21 Dec 07. The crowds up until 9 Dec 07, when most of the POP WARNER cheerleaders had left were much greater than I ever expected. Actually I found the parks more crowded probably until around the 12 Dec. After that, up until we left on the 21st the parks were not too bad at all. We usually go in Apr / May period and there appear to be fewer people in the spring than in Dec. We would NEVER EVER go again while Pop Warner is holding an event, but that is currently an ongoing thread of itself.
The park decorations ranged from nice to absolutely breath taking (the castle at night), but for some reason the resorts were not as spectacular as I was expecting after hearing so much about them. I am certainly glad that I got to experience Disney in Dec, but do not think that I would go back at that time of the year again, even though we had amazing weather.