PDA

View Full Version : Games to play while wait in line

dakotamom
01-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi Everybody!

Not sure if this is the place to post this question, but what games do you play while you're in line for rides? I found that my kids like to play the 3 letter word game. We go back and forth trying to think of a three letter word. Sometimes we make it alphabetical, sometime not, but there are thousands of three letter words - lots that play off of each other - ie dog, cat, too, two, etc... and it's really fun to play - especially when you can't think of any. The only rule is you cannot repeat a word that's already been said. Any other great ideas for line waits?

Darbylew
01-06-2008, 04:41 PM
We usually have a snack in line. Then we are
always talking about what we are doing next.
We always talk to other people in line as well.
We don't play any games but glad to hear about
the one you play so we will try it next time.
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK
IN APRIL 2008. :D:mickey:

jillluvsdisney
01-06-2008, 04:55 PM
We have played several variations of the alphabet game. Each person has to come up with a word beginning with a certain letter. We go in order A-Z. We use cities, authors,disney characters, baseball players, rock bands ect. It's fun not only for lines but waiting for parades or fireworks too.

playdead88
01-06-2008, 04:58 PM
we bring some of the question cards from disney's scene it game and from the game fact or **** we sometimes use those in line if its longer than a 30 min wait but when we do play we play for treats in the park - last year the grand prize was the kitchen sink at beaches n cream - i think the only times we really played was in line for dumbo, rocknroller coaster and soarin':mickey:

dteed
01-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Never really play games in line but the Scene it game cards sounds like an interesting thing to do. We just discuss whats next or talk with others.

#1donaldfan
01-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Never really thought of games to play.....I agree with some others above about meeting others in line....we LOVE doing that.....we have met so many nice people from literally all over the world.....that is very fun !!!! We may try the scene it game cards next trip.....since we're going in Dec (24th - 1st), I understand the lines will be very much longer than we're used to.....wish us luck....:thumbsup:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
01-06-2008, 09:43 PM
We don't play games but, we go over our Hidden Mickey book to see what ones we are looking for on the ride.:mickey:

The Scene It cards are a great idea!! My kids got the Disney Scene It game for Xmas. I will definately be borrowing that idea!

jszczur5
01-07-2008, 01:35 AM
Gee, I think I like all of your families better than mine. We usually play "Guess who's going to get yelled at first when we get back to the hotel room?"
Seriously though, we usually play the old stand-by "I Spy" or "20 Questions".

PirateLover
01-07-2008, 02:31 AM
I'm gonna ditto Sean Riley Taylor's Mom. The Hidden Mickey book is so much fun! We just started looking for them on our last trip and it was addicting. We would go over their locations either in line or on our way to the ride and try to memorize what we were looking for and everybody got so into it.

DDuck66
01-07-2008, 10:28 AM
When we are waiting for the fireworks or a parade we usually play the Disney Alphabet Game. We restrict it in certain ways, one time it might be Disney Attractions, Disney Characters, or the general category which is anything Disney related. It helps pass the time.

TheRustyScupper
01-07-2008, 01:58 PM
1) We play several games while waiting in line.
2) But, since we won't wait over 20-min, the games are usually short.
3) Regardless of what we want to play, kids/grandkids have their own games.
4) They usually play
. . . pick on little sis
. . . step on grandpa's feet
. . . beg for Mickey Bars
. . . ask, over and over, what is for dinner

IamaDisneyFan
01-07-2008, 04:44 PM
I love the Scene It idea! I have played Simon Says with my kids in the past and that has kept them occupied and happy. :mickey:

alphamommy
01-07-2008, 04:44 PM
We had never really played any games, until we overheard a mom and her daughters in front of us playing what we call "The Character Game." Some one thinks of a character, and the others ask yes/no questions about the character and try to figure out who it is. We've used this ever since, whether in line at WDW, on a car ride, or whenever DD seems to be getting restless. At WDW, we limited it to Disney characters, but when we're not there, it could be anyone/anything (Scooby-Doo, Bugs Bunny, etc.).

When I was younger, my sister and her husband and I used to play a food-related version of the alphabet game. Starting with A, each person has to think of a food starting with each letter of the alphabet. We eventually eliminated some letters from play (X, for example), and sometimes had debates over whether a food was real or not. My mom once made walnut pie for Christmas to prove to my BIL that there was such a thing (substitute walnuts for pecans).

I like the Scene It idea, but I'd be the one stuck carrying the cards!

Tammy

bertasso59
01-07-2008, 09:37 PM
My DW made up this game waiting for fireworks last Fourth of July
First player starts with A with a name place and occupation like
My name is Amy and Im from Alabama and Im an Accountant
the next person repeats that and makes up one with B and so on.Every letter has to be repeated on every turn.Its a great memory game.

katzctkpt
01-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Never really thought about playing a game while waiting. But, I sure like a lot of the games suggested and most definately will try a few in Dec.

Darin M
01-07-2008, 11:27 PM
My girlfriend and I brought our Ipod Nanos last time we visited On the long lines, we would whip them out and listen to some fun Disney World attractions music.

Cinderelley
01-08-2008, 12:18 AM
We usually make up our own stories. One person will start it, and each person adds on. The most memorable one on our last trip included us travelling back to the resort on a Disney bus that was attacked by a giant Octopus and alien ninjas all because they wanted to eat our school bread. Not to worry though. We were eventually saved by our Kung Fu Instructor who happened to be a member of the Men in Black who were following the alien ninjas. ;)

jszczur5
01-08-2008, 01:41 AM
4) They usually play
. . . pick on little sis
. . . step on grandpa's feet
. . . beg for Mickey Bars
. . . ask, over and over, what is for dinner
You forgot part two to What is for dinner?, that being "Do we have to eat there?
One of these days I think I'm going to just let them eat Mickey Bars all day, breakfast, lunch and dinner, and then we'll see how much they appreciate Le Cellier or Boma.

Bobby T
01-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Two words...impromptu trivia!

For example...who was the original sponsor of the Living Seas?

It becomes a challenge for us to think of challenging yet answerable questions.

Miss Mouse
01-08-2008, 02:50 AM
We're also big fans of the character/attractions alphabet games... and we don't even usually have kids with us on our trips! ;) It's always fun when someone comes up with a great, obscure character.

I also have to say that I LOVE the Scene-It idea. We may have to try that one out on our next trip! Sounds like tons of fun.

BigBaloo
01-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Thumb Wrestling is always a favorite w/ my kids. We'll usually look for Hidden Mickey's on our own first & then breakdown & use the book.

goofysbabe
01-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Gee, I think I like all of your families better than mine. We usually play "Guess who's going to get yelled at first when we get back to the hotel room?"
Seriously though, we usually play the old stand-by "I Spy" or "20 Questions".

:haha::haha::haha: Oh, my goodness I busted a gut a this. I know that game! Sometimes are ends with a your going straight to bed winner.

KAJUNKING
01-08-2008, 02:58 PM
we take along the disney trivia book and use it for games

jszczur5
01-08-2008, 05:16 PM
:haha::haha::haha: Oh, my goodness I busted a gut a this. I know that game! Sometimes are ends with a your going straight to bed winner.

It appears that we may have been at POP at the same time in '06, perhaps you heard us?!

thrillme
01-08-2008, 05:23 PM
We do a lot of "I Spy" and "Trivia" based on something we know well (like Futurama). We've done the Rock Paper Sissors and the Hunt for Hidden Mickeys.

Of course if the line is REALLY long then we often break out the DS's and race a little Mario Kart. I'd really like to find Mario Party for the DS.

Marker
01-13-2008, 09:42 AM
how about :silly: Monopoly??? :silly:

poeticeclipse
01-13-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure if it is the same as the "alphabet game" but we sometimes play what I like to call "Going on a trip..."

You start out by saying "I'm going to Disney World and I'm taking with me a _____" You start with the letter 'A' and then the next person does the same things but has to say what the person/people before them said. So, at one point you'll get to ... "I'm going to Disney World and i'm taking with me Aloe vera, Bandana, Cast Member, Dinglehopper, Elephant, Fingernail clippers, and grapes." You can have them make sense and match up with Disney World or it can be totally random (it's more funny this way).

We also like to play "I Spy" :)

disneyworld55925592
01-13-2008, 10:40 AM
:mickey:i agree with a few others that said they enjoy looking at the hidden mickey book. Thats what we do to pass our time in the lines!

Marilyn Michetti
01-13-2008, 12:02 PM
We don't have children with us, but if DH is "antsy" (he's a wonderful man, but a real POOP sometimes), I get him to program something into his cell phone. The ride could be over, and he'd still be at it.:D